Welcome Davion Mitchell

WOW! Watching his breakdown video, DM's defensive close out speed and foot movement is incredible. Incredible anticipation of what his opponents will try to do. He shuts off his opponents lane and looks so quickly, its hard for them to get a clean look.

IMHO, he can become one of the best one-on-one back court defenders in the league.

WOW! Watching his breakdown video, DM's defensive close out speed and foot movement is incredible. Incredible anticipation of what his opponents will try to do. He shuts off his opponents lane and looks so quickly, its hard for them to get a clean look.

IMHO, he can become one of the best one-on-one back court defenders in the league.

I's just highlights, so obviously selective. But one thing you see on his defensive highlights is that a lot of guys respond to his bodying by trying to beat him one-on-one. So you get a lot of dribbling around and isolation play. A lot of dribbling while their teammates stand around. Very disruptive!

Cripes. He must be SOOOO annoying to play against...

Will the refs allow a rookie to play that physically on defense? Especially against the league's many backcourt stars? We'll see, but if they do we'll *really* have something, y'all.

Last edited:
I's just highlights, so obviously selective. But one thing you see on his defensive highlights is that a lot of guys respond to his bodying by trying to beat him one-on-one. So you get a lot of dribbling around and isolation play. A lot of dribbling while their teammates stand around. Very disruptive!

Cripes. He must be SOOOO annoying to play against...

Will the refs allow a rookie to play that physically on defense? Especially against the league's many backcourt stars? We'll see, but if they do we'll *really* have something, y'all.
yeah, he has some of the best lateral movement on defense that I've seen from a guard in a long time. He doesn't have the big size, but he understands how to use his elite quickness and just beating his man to the spot over and over again.

I'll admit after a cooling off period I am actually really excited about both Davion and Neemias. If Davion is an All NBA level defender and Neemias is Whiteside with a more fluid offensive game it could change the whole energy of this squad. A lot of things would have to fall in place for us to be one of the top 8 teams in the West but this could be a really fun team to watch if both rooks are as advertised, Hali takes a big jump and the roster balances out. A whole season with fans in the area (fingers crossed) would really help a young hungry defensive minded squad too.

Outside of White Chocolate my favorite players on the team have often been non stars or role players. Gerald Wallace, Pollard, Hedo, BJax from past squads. Now my fav guys are Hali (hopefully a star) Metu and maybe Neemias/Off Night?

6'2" is not short.
He has above average height.
He just wants to play in the NBA.
North Carolina won a National Championship with Bobby Lewis at center who was 6'3".

I'll admit after a cooling off period I am actually really excited about both Davion and Neemias. If Davion is an All NBA level defender and Neemias is Whiteside with a more fluid offensive game it could change the whole energy of this squad. A lot of things would have to fall in place for us to be one of the top 8 teams in the West but this could be a really fun team to watch if both rooks are as advertised, Hali takes a big jump and the roster balances out. A whole season with fans in the area (fingers crossed) would really help a young hungry defensive minded squad too.
A lot of if's but I am also excited as these guys have some potential. As you mentioned even if it is not enough for the playoffs it will be great to see the development of this team and what can be possible if they are integrated into the team. Really looking forward to see Davion play. in the league.

Great, not only is our GM an idiot but now this Woodard guy is too. :)
They just need to really give it a shot. The problems have always come when the GM says those types of things, like with stuffed positions in the past, and the coach doesn't do it. With DC on the bench now there is no way this team doesn't become an in your face aggressive pressure defensive team. If they do that this team could definitely go from worst to really good on that end.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
They just need to really give it a shot. The problems have always come when the GM says those types of things, like with stuffed positions in the past, and the coach doesn't do it. With DC on the bench now there is no way this team doesn't become an in your face aggressive pressure defensive team. If they do that this team could definitely go from worst to really good on that end.
The team did look really good to start last season playing an aggressive pressure system and then iirc they got tired and lost 9 straight.

The team did look really good to start last season playing an aggressive pressure system and then iirc they got tired and lost 9 straight.
They relied too heavily on run outs when they were beat which was also an issue. They had players playing the middle then switching over on help literally running all the way across the floor almost every single play. If they stay tight on guys and switch the energy levels should be maintainable.

I think they relied too heavily on players that didn’t give a care.
I think that's unfair. They actually did bust their humps on that end. The scheme was so flawed that it didn't matter. Also, how many times did we hear DC begging for them to pick up in the full court, and pressure? They didn't because they didn't want to, the gameplan was to help off and play towards the rim. If they do that with the size of the team they are putting out now it will be a disaster as well. I think DC won't let that happen though. No way.