Webb May Get His Ring After All

T

t5chris

I think they're top contenders now, especially with the uncertainty of shaq's injury.

AI can flat out torch anybody with his ballhandling skills. He single-handedly brought the sixers to the finals against the lakers, and ruined their sweep :)

C Webb - Biggest heart I've seen in a Forward. He's going to be dropping dimes.

Dalembert - Big, Athletic, Young, Talented.

Iguodala - Fast, Strong, Young, expect alleyoops to happen

Barnes - Sixth man possibility

And, they still have Glenn robinson they will most likely trade away by tommorrow.

sloter said:
Why are people forgetting that we were #1 (that's right NUMBER ONE) team for the majority of the last season without Webber. These 3 guys can help us get there again!!!
Regular season is regular season. Playoffs is playoffs. May I ask who is performing on our team during last year's playoffs.

Webber hater goes away.

First of all, no way does Webb ever win a ring in Philly. IMO, Webb will not be as productive in Philly as he was here...No way!!! He will have to play on the low block much more in Philly and with that first step of his he can't beat anyone to a spot...Why do you think he was so in love with that 15-18 footer from the elbow. Secondly, talk of the Kings being a lottery team is hilarious. Remember, the Kings still have a top three point guard, the best true center in the Western Conference and one of the best two shooters in the league. That's a far cry from the days of Mitch Richmond and 4 complete scrubs or better yet, 5 complete scrubs. I don't think that the Kings are better today because of this trade, but I also don't think that it's the end of the world as some on this board seem to think. I hate this trade, but at the same time it's a done deal and the Kings have to make good with what they have. If some of you want to jump off the bandwagon then go right ahead, but I've been on this wagon since 1985 and have no plans whatsoever of ever jumping off.

Come on, a ring in Philly? This thread is a byproduct of emotions running high.

Though I think Chris earned his right to retire as a King, I do believe that the Kings will be better in the long run, if not this season. That being said, I am very sad to see him go, because I have really grown accustomed to seeing him in that Kings uniform. It will be an adjustment, and I think might take a bit of time to really sink in.

We'll miss you Chris.

sloter said:
Why are people forgetting that we were #1 (that's right NUMBER ONE) team for the majority of the last season without Webber. These 3 guys can help us get there again!!!
Because Vlade basically committed the remainder of his youth to play like a young guy for that stretch. So we had a great passing 5 Brad played the 4 at an all star level, and Peja actually moved off the ball. Here is why we are concerned:

1. Vlade is gone - meaning Brad plays the five so we'll call that a push since Brad scores and boards more but his defense is a push and his passing isn't quite as good.

2. Kenny Thomas is not what Brad miller was on that team last year. He is worse on the boards, he is a bad passer, he is an equal to Brad defensively.

3. Peja tried. If he starts trying now what will his team mates think knowing he wasnt trying the rest of the season and Webb was a popular guy with them?? What does that do to chemistry?? If he doesn't start moving now what will that mean for our offense? Basically it means he's easy to lock down, teams lock down our perimeter and we score 90 a game...

This doesnt even start talking about losing Doug's passing for Mobely's scoring, the fact Bobby was healthy during the run last year, and the fact that we didn't have essentially two rookies playing major minutes moving towards the second half of the season when the rookie wall comes into play...

Since93 said:
Regular season is regular season. Playoffs is playoffs. May I ask who is performing on our team during last year's playoffs.
Well, Webber's +/- in Dallas series was negative. And Pedja almost pulled a miracle in the crucial Game 3 against the Wolves. Garnett also simply played around with the Kings throughout the whole series.

But you're right his playoff performance will have to be much better than it has been in the past. He has nowhere to hide right now.

sloter said:
yeah, when the schedule was soft and the injuries few.

sloter said:
Unfortunately, everyone is so emotional so that we cannot start talking about the ups and downs of this trade from an objective standpoint.
You're damn right we're emotional.

However, I'll put that aside. I'll drop the emotions. Let's get objective.

Ready?

Tell me, objectively, the upsides of Thomas, Williamson and Skinner vs. Webber.

And, oh yeah, take into consideration the fact that Peja will now be playing with three people who are new to the offense that has allowed him to flourish these last few years.

Well I hope he does. I don't even know if I want the Kings to win a ring anymore. It wouldn't be the same without Webb, Doug, Vlade.... hell Barry and Pollard too.

I guess the times are a changing... but that doesnt mean you have to want them to. And I don't see myself learning to love these new guys like Brad and Cuttino.

GoGoGadget said:
You're damn right we're emotional.

However, I'll put that aside. I'll drop the emotions. Let's get objective.

Ready?

Tell me, objectively, the upsides of Thomas, Williamson and Skinner vs. Webber.

And, oh yeah, take into consideration the fact that Peja will now be playing with three people who are new to the offense that has allowed him to flourish these last few years.
also take into the consideration that they don't like to pass .... lucky Peja is so good at creating his own shot.:rolleyes:

KINGS4EVER said:
I dont blame him, Peja that is.
I think the blame has to come down squarely on the shoulders of Petrie and the Maloofs, but I am taking a wait and see approach with Peja. If he suddenly starts actually showing up to play now that Webb is gone I will find that suspect and it will be hard to not feel he had a hand in Webbers demise.

Sloter... I know you like Peja, but even YOU can't possibly try to convince us this was a good trade. An all-star, all-league player, for three scrubs?

Peja's great, but he's not a leader. Webber was a leader. Vlade was a leader. Hell, CHRISTIE was a leader.

Please, PLEASE, show us this upside that only YOU are seeing right now...

#1sacfan

sloter said:
HAHAHAHAHAH, maybe if they had 17 balls between the two of them.
They would win the championship if it was won in FGA!
This is just absolutely hilarious. Am I the only person that thinks CWebb might not fit into AI's team since he will almost certainly dominate the ball the entire game making Webber ineffective??

Ryan

I like turtles
I'm going to agree with sloter on this one. Webbers departure, while heartbreaking, yes, made our team a whole lot better. Let's be honest. Our shot at a championship went down with Webber against Dallas in 03. In the 03-04 season we were among the two top teams in the NBA, until Webber came back and slowed us down. I'll miss him, he'll do great in Philly, but like Sloter said "back to Kings basketball"

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ryan@CU said:
I'm going to agree with sloter on this one. Webbers departure, while heartbreaking, yes, made our team a whole lot better. Let's be honest. Our shot at a championship went down with Webber against Dallas in 03. In the 03-04 season we were among the two top teams in the NBA, until Webber came back and slowed us down. I'll miss him, he'll do great in Philly, but like Sloter said "back to Kings basketball"
I think you misunderstand what "Kings basketball" was/is, at least the winning version. It was never about being a softie and chucking up long jumpers, it was about exquisite passing. And we are just about out of passers at this point. We've lost two of the best passing big men in history in the space of 8 months, and perhaps the best passing OG as well. Repalcements? Greg Ostertag, Kenny Thomas, and Cat Mobley. That's about -10 assists in the exchange right there.

#1sacfan

Bricklayer said:
I think you misunderstand what "Kings basketball" was/is, at least the winning version. It was never about being a softie and chucking up long jumpers, it was about exquisite passing. And we are just about out of passers at this point. We've lost two of the best passing big men in history in the space of 8 months, and perhaps the best passing OG as well. Repalcements? Greg Ostertag, Kenny Thomas, and Cat Mobley. That's about -10 assists in the exchange right there.
You are so malicious these days Brick (I guess I would be too if the Kings Brass agreed with you instead of me but they didn't because I was right all along). Its not up to Kenny Thomas and the other guys to make up the assists. It is time for Bibby to step up and be a POINT GAURD and Miller will definetly bring his numbers up as well. We will have to wait and see.

T

t5chris

Ryan@CU said:
Webber was Kings basketball. Christie was Kings basketball. Vlade was Kings basketball. You think we got "a whole lot better?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Evenstar said:
i seriously doubt that is going to happen.

but they do have a much better chance at winning the atlantic, and getting further in the playoffs then they would have before the trade.

they are NOT better then detroit or miami.
I think its quite possible that Chris may get farther in the playoffs than the Kings will. And as much as I hate to say it, theres a part of me that wishes him to win a ring - even over the Kings.

acisking said:
I think its quite possible that Chris may get farther in the playoffs than the Kings will. And as much as I hate to say it, theres a part of me that wishes him to win a ring - even over the Kings.
I could never wish for anyone to win over the Kings, but when the Kings are out of it (and I think it may very well we before the 76ers) I will be pulling for Webb to get the ring that he so deserves.

Ryan

I like turtles
t5chris said:
Webber was Kings basketball. Christie was Kings basketball. Vlade was Kings basketball. You think we got "a whole lot better?"
Webber hater? I think I made it clear when I said "I'll miss him" that I'm not a hater.

1. webber makes the sixers a playoff conrender, not a ring contender. They currently are a game behind the pacers for the 8 seed, and with WEBB will loikely take the pathetic east crown, steal a three seed, and get dumped in the first round. If Webb wins a ring, it will be as a result of another trade.

2. While off topic, I have to ask. Where in all of this are the Webber critics?? For months I have been reading that Chris this or Webber that, he hogs the ball, he doesn't have any game anymore etc etc. Seems to me a lot of ppl got what they (unknowingly) wanted. The very best player to ever wear a Sacramento uniform is now gone.

There is no way the 76er's will reach the finals.........How long before Webber is hurt anyway this year. Hell he already missed about 10 games this year with us..

Now maybe next year if and a big if they get a couple more key players