Voisin: Divac ‘protective’ of Kings’ No. 6 pick; will it be Mudiay?

Another batch of quotes from Vlade and other information via Voisin http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article25093420.html:

But while Mudiay has worked out in Los Angeles (Lakers), Philadelphia, Minnesota and New York, and is very much in the conversation at No. 6, he declined to interview with Kings officials at the predraft combine in Chicago and thus far has refused their requests to get into the gym.
If he wants Mudiay, he will take Mudiay, who would add size, length and playmaking alongside Darren Collison and accommodate Karl’s preference for a two-point guard backcourt. But Divac is not saying he wants Mudiay. Or that he wants Cauley-Stein or Hezonja or Johnson or Winslow. Or that he won’t attempt to trade up. Or that he won’t consider trading down. The rookie executive, it seems, is a quick study; the good ones can keep secrets.
“Ours is a relatively good position because we’ll get a good player,” he said. “We are receiving a ton of calls about trades, but I am very protective about the pick. I don’t want to give it up unless we can get several good pieces. Then I would think about it.”
Pressed for specifics, the affable Serb offered favorable snippets about all the prospects who might be available at No. 6, but he cited his priorities as follows: adding another playmaker and upgrading the power forward position, preferably with a long, athletic shot blocker and rim protector to complement DeMarcus Cousins.
Additionally, he scoffed at rumors suggesting he would consider trading his All-Star center.
“That is not happening,” Divac said forcefully, “but I would love to do something, a smaller move, before the draft. We have a lot of changes to make. The league is much more up-tempo now, and we need more three-point shooting. If we don’t get that in the draft, we’ll be active in free agency and see about making trades later in the offseason.
“We know our coach and the pieces he needs. And I really believe we are going to be a totally different team next season, with different energy. Our goal next year is not only to have a winning season, but a playoff season. This draft is important, but it’s only the beginning.”

It's fun to interpret comments like these but the interesting thing for me is fact that work is being done, the Kings are alive, there are good intentions, something is and will happen. We can only pick one which means we won't pick the other half dozen. We apparently have draft trade options offered by others. Makes choices harder but potentials greater. After Thursday a significant "we" will be pleased and a significant"we" will be pissed. Always thus. Looking forward to it and moving on.

Not sure if it was posted anywhere else yet. And really not a lot to go on. But it's this part that piqued my interest...

“That is not happening,” Divac said forcefully, “but I would love to do something, a smaller move, before the draft. We have a lot of changes to make. The league is much more up-tempo now, and we need more three-point shooting. If we don’t get that in the draft, we’ll be active in free agency and see about making trades later in the offseason.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article25093420.html#storylink=cpy

gunks

Hall of Famer
I agree with Vlade in that we are in a good position at 6.

WCS, Mudiay, Hezonja, Winslow, Porzingis.... We should have our choice of one out of at least three of those guys. All five of them have loads of potential and should be able to find valuable development minutes (off of the bench barring a home-run draft pick) on our roster.

And with prospects like that, our pick should actually have decent value and could net us a good vet (maybe even two solid vets).

The draft is Vlade's to **** up (well, and Vivek's of course, if the rumors about last years draft are to be believed)... And it should be way more interesting than last year...Which was a bad pick (at the time, future TBD) and PDA flailing about trying to get someone to bite on a Ben trade after B-Mac put up a historically bad rookie season and had all time low value.

And unlike previous years, where I really had my heart set on one prospect , there are a lot of ways we can come out of this draft that would make me a happy Kings fan. I imagine that sentiment may be echoed in the Kings FO, which would explain Vlade's confidence as well as why he is keeping his cards close to his chest.

I also love that Vlade didn't bite on that Lawson trade. I already have more faith in Vlade's ability to appraise roster needs than I ever had in the weasel's. If we can get a player of Lawson's caliber (hovering on that low end all star tier) that actually addresses a roster need for the 6th pick, I think we see that trade go down.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Haha I know this organization has been a laughing stock...but a 19 year old kid is declining to talk to Kings officials at all? that's funny. In other news, I am looking forward to Thursday so we can begin the Vlade era.

So far, Vlade is doing and saying all the right things. He seems to have good instincts for the job he's in. But I think we've yet to see evidence of his ability to evaluate talent and value. And that, of course, is a huge part of his job. And if he's not a supreme evaluator, hopefully he's got some quality guys around him that can keep him grounded. So while he gets the benefit of the doubt for now, I am reserving the right to become his biggest fan if he succeeds, or his biggest critic if he fails, at the evaluator part of his job that will make the Kings respectable or better. But even what he's doing and saying in the meantime is such an improvement over the previous regime that I find myself surprisingly optimistic as we approach the draft and the time for free agent signings and off-season trades. Godspeed, Vlade. But don't disappoint me!

It makes sense. He is not anticipating dropping that far
Its laughable is it not ? Seriously does he not understand the top 3 is basically locked and his best hope is NY who may very well avoid him for the Euro Dream. Its not like Orlando doesnt have a young backcourt or anything either.

He should be doing all he can to market himselves to us. What a fool.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'm cautiously optimistic, but in the back of my mind I have Vlade picking up the phone to make the call for WCS, but then having it ripped away from by Vivek who shouts "Payne! Payne!"

Its laughable is it not ? Seriously does he not understand the top 3 is basically locked and his best hope is NY who may very well avoid him for the Euro Dream. Its not like Orlando doesnt have a young backcourt or anything either.

He should be doing all he can to market himselves to us. What a fool.
He's saved the Kings from even having to worry about picking him.
I'd lay money he's going to drop to 6, and because this kid's a prima-donna with attitude who hasn't proven jack squat outside of high school, the Kings save themselves the likely mistake of picking an attitude problem.

He's saved the Kings from even having to worry about picking him.
I'd lay money he's going to drop to 6, and because this kid's a prima-donna with attitude who hasn't proven jack squat outside of high school, the Kings save themselves the likely mistake of picking an attitude problem.
I read an article the other day saying that Curry refused to work out and interview with the Warriors during that draft, they picked him anyway and things have worked out alright, so it happens.

That being said, Curry is a humble guy and that was the process, I'm not sure I'm getting that from Mudiay. I do agree that attitude might be an issue here.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read an article the other day saying that Curry refused to work out and interview with the Warriors during that draft, they picked him anyway and things have worked out alright, so it happens.

That being said, Curry is a humble guy and that was the process, I'm not sure I'm getting that from Mudiay. I do agree that attitude might be an issue here.
The Kings best player is Cousins so it seems a bit ironic to worry too much about Mudiay and red flags in that regard.

Worrying about possible attitude issues is fine, but make the call based on talent and whether or not the kid can produce.

The only way Sacramento stops being an NBA wasteland is for the team to get better players and win more games. I'm not getting my feelings hurt by Mudiay not wanting to be drafted by the Kings. Quite honestly he has good reason to be concerned about it negatively affecting his career based on how this organization has been run the last decade or so.

The only reason I would want Mudiay is that you can play him and Collison at the same time. It could solve a couple issues at the same time. SG and backup PG. It would move Collison or Mudiay to backup PG when McLemore comes into the game as the backup SG.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I already posted this in the personnel forum, but if Mudiay is still available at #6 I draft him and package Darren Collison and Nik Stauskas for another pick. I don't care if he doesn't want to come to the Kings. Like most of these kids he knows nothing about them other than what he reads about online which is mostly terrifying rumors about mismanagement and a franchise player nobody likes rebelling against his coach. The reality of the situation is so far from the perception, that I wouldn't sweat it when players tell their agents to stay away. Once they get in the trenches with DeMarcus and George Karl I think they'll change their mind. Winning cures everything. Most everything I've read/heard about Mudiay suggests he's a humble, hard-working player not a headcase. This is much ado about nothing.