Vlade Divac

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
We have a playoff level roster now with depth at every position and the Clippers just folded and traded their best player for draft picks. That's a hell of a Wednesday! Even better, the only potential threat remaining for the eighth seed is LeBron and a team full of young guys who know he's trying to get them traded! In the words of everyone's favorite cantankerous play by play personality, "Ohhh boy!"

PS... That'll do Vlade. That'll do.

We basically traded him for JJ straight up. Maybe not a franchise player, but it's hard to argue it's not a big talent upgrade. And after shipping one guy with a ring out, we bring another guy with a ring in.
We finally pulled off the expiring/cap space for an asset move that we have been blowing for years, so that is definitely competence. I'm just not a fan of Barnes in particular.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
you sure like to bring this up quite often, don't you? You want everyone to be in line for the Crow buffet is that it?
I took a lotta crap from the day Vlade was hired. All I asked was for people to have some patience, to wait and see what Vlade could/would do. But no...he was ridiculed, insulted, demeaned, etc. I was called a Vlade homer who just didn't get it, etc.

So excuse me if I bring this up on the day when Vlade ONCE AGAIN moved this team forward and didn't give away the store to do so.

I took a lotta crap from the day Vlade was hired. All I asked was for people to have some patience, to wait and see what Vlade could/would do. But no...he was ridiculed, insulted, demeaned, etc. I was called a Vlade homer who just didn't get it, etc.

So excuse me if I bring this up on the day when Vlade ONCE AGAIN moved this team forward and didn't give away the store to do so.
For the record, I am a Vlade homer and proud OF it. LOL

I honestly hate the Shump trade.

He killed it with the Barnes trade.

Have a feeling we’re not done yet. Bold moves from him.
But one trade was dependent on another the way I see it. You trade for Barnes and Shump rides the pine. This way you upgrade the talent at position and on the bench. Simply put, Barnes and Burks is significantly more talented than Shumpert and Jackson.

Heck you could make an argument that Burks is a better player than Shumpert. Now the impact on chemistry will be interesting. Clearly Iman was a HUGE part in changing the culture and establishing the chemistry within team. By all reports Barnes and Burks are great young man who should fit in well.

I think when the two trades are combined, Kings come out well in front in terms of pure talent level and that is what needed to be upgraded if we were serious about making the play off push. It will be interesting to see what sort of effect the moves have on the team long term.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Barnes is overpaid, but there's no doubt he's better than JJ. How exactly taking on an overpaid player like Barnes ($25 mill next year) is going to affect the decisions of the Kings in the longer term I just do not know; hopefully, there are no adverse ramifications for keeping the Kings' core or making other needed deals.

I think Burks could be a pleasant surprise. He had a couple of gritty hustle plays that flat out won the game for Cleveland over the Lakers, imo. I actually thought after seeing those plays, "That's a guy the Kings could use!" https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/36b0...at-los-angeles-lakers-live-score-updates.html

After the All Star break hopefully these guys will get integrated quickly into the Kings' offensive and defensive schemes. I'm looking forward to it.

Barnes is overpaid, but there's no doubt he's better than JJ. How exactly taking on an overpaid player like Barnes ($25 mill next year) is going to affect the decisions of the Kings in the longer term I just do not know; hopefully, there are no adverse ramifications for keeping the Kings' core or making other needed deals.

I think Burks could be a pleasant surprise. He had a couple of gritty hustle plays that flat out won the game for Cleveland over the Lakers, imo. I actually thought after seeing those plays, "That's a guy the Kings could use!" https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/36b0...at-los-angeles-lakers-live-score-updates.html

After the All Star break hopefully these guys will get integrated quickly into the Kings' offensive and defensive schemes. I'm looking forward to it.
He has a player option for this summer and at worst has another season left on the contract. I can't see how Barnes' contract impacts on us keeping other key young players who are all still on rookie deals.

It will be interesting to see if Barnes opts out in the summer in favor of signing a longer term deal with the Kings (i.e. less money for security)