Vlade Divac

Am I the only once concerned that he dealt the two best perimeter defenders on the team? I understand he definitely wants to make good on his promise and reach the playoffs, but I believe they would have made it without adding the pieces they did. Not saying this team is worse off, but chemistry and defense matters more in the playoffs.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Am I the only once concerned that he dealt the two best perimeter defenders on the team? I understand he definitely wants to make good on his promise and reach the playoffs, but I believe they would have made it without adding the pieces they did. Not saying this team is worse off, but chemistry and defense matters more in the playoffs.
Barnes is a solid defender with size. Burks isn't horrible. It's not like we traded our best defender for nothing.

Shrump ok, but JJ was only one of our better perimeter defenders by process of elimination.

Kings are making the playoffs for sure. Clips are out. This leaves us with one real contender for the 8th spot, the Lakers. It's going to be very sweet to keep the Lebron Lakers out of the playoffs. I think Vlade felt a lot more comfortable trading Shump with Barnes coming in. He wants at least one guy with Championship experience. The three wins before this loss have really, REALLY been season changing/defining for us. We could have and maybe even should have lost two of those, but at 3 games above .500, I'm glad Vlade pulled the trigger on these trades even if the shakeup cost us a game. You don't let the other team sleep on it if you want the trade to happen.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If the Magic are thinking tank mode. WCS + Ben + 2 2nd round picks for Vuc might do it.
Vuc is already an expiring so they'd probably need at least one asset that extends to the next season.

Another option is trying to get Mirotic from the Pels, which could be a bit cheaper.

I'm hoping there is not another major shakeup tomorrow. Continuity is also a valuable thing. The core (Fox, Hield, Bogi, Bagley, Giles) must be kept in tact.

Chemistry can be a fickle thing. On paper the Kings are better right now than they were this morning but Shumpert and Jackson were both very well liked. Shumpert was a bit of a leader and gave the team the swagger and toughness. Justin Jackson is just a super guy (probably too nice) but always the first off the bench to congratulate and root on his teammates. Hopefully this doesn't hurt the chemistry and that's why I'd be leery of another move.

Vuc is already an expiring so they'd probably need at least one asset that extends to the next season.

Another option is trying to get Mirotic from the Pels, which could be a bit cheaper.
It's not about cap space. If they want to tank this year and/or think he is gone next year they should get something now.

Pels are reportedly holding out for a #1 pick.

I'm hoping there is not another major shakeup tomorrow. Continuity is also a valuable thing. The core (Fox, Hield, Bogi, Bagley, Giles) must be kept in tact.

Chemistry can be a fickle thing. On paper the Kings are better right now than they were this morning but Shumpert and Jackson were both very well liked. Shumpert was a bit of a leader and gave the team the swagger and toughness. Justin Jackson is just a super guy (probably too nice) but always the first off the bench to congratulate and root on his teammates. Hopefully this doesn't hurt the chemistry and that's why I'd be leery of another move.
They aren’t trading anyone from the core.

Agreed. At the end of the day (talent wise) we didn't lose much. But chemistry is more important than it gets credit for. Those were two very well-liked guys on a rising team of youngsters. It's worrisome.