Vlade as GM (split)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Damian Lillard were so good, why didnt we take him instead of Robinson? If Klay Thompson were so great why didnt we take him instead of Jimmer? Stauskas? Mclemore? Papa G? This franchise has drafted horribly for the past 10 years. Someone wrote something like that if Kings just took the fan favourite on these past drafts, they would be far better off than they are now. Thats pretty horrible drafting. The part of the fanbase that refuses to just blindly trust the current regime will be furious in instances like this where they pass on an obvious choise at #2 and instead just go wild.
Ah, where to start? Vlade has been the GM for almost 3 years. He is not responsible for what PDA did before him. As for the last sentence of your statement, that's delusional. Vlade didn't go wild with the selection of Bagley; he chose someone as well regarded and in fact better regarded in some circles than your "obvious choice".

As I've said multiple times, there are numerous well argumented concerns on the value of players like Bagley. You are more than welcome to tackle one of them.
There are just as many attacks on Doncic. You saying something multiple times does nothing to make it more (or less) true.

The fact that you are talking about Musa and Doncic in the same sentence as prospects is just ridiculous and reveals how valuable your opinion really is. Doncic is playing on a whole different level than Musa. Doncic has shown elite qualities on highest european level, qualities that are extremely valuable in todays Nba. But again yout talent evaluation hasnt exactly been brilliant.
But your evaluations are pristine and beyond reproach? Give me a break.

I cannot believe I'm actually defending Blob, with whom I've had many disagreements. For one thing, he doesn't need my help. For another? You may not agree with him but he can generally back up his narrative.

I get it. You're upset that we didn't pick Doncic. I'm gonna do something else I really can't believe I'm doing - I'm going to paraphrase Grant Napear. If you're really that upset, you can always put your money where your mouth is and become a Mavs fan.

Ah, where to start? Vlade has been the GM for almost 3 years. He is not responsible for what PDA did before him. As for the last sentence of your statement, that's delusional. Vlade didn't go wild with the selection of Bagley; he chose someone as well regarded and in fact better regarded in some circles than your "obvious choice".
And I assume you understand that this isnt about Vlade, that was a response to a rethoric of "if doncic is so great why didnt we take him or why didnt hawks take him". It was stupid rethoric and my reply was demonstrating the point that us or another team passing on a prospect doesnt make it automatically smart.

There are just as many attacks on Doncic. You saying something multiple times does nothing to make it more (or less) true.
And I've argued against a lot of them and I can keep doing that. Havent seen blob or you comment on those posts on Bagley thread. In general I say that a lot but only to the people who I havent seen arguing those post. Roasthawg(?) has beed doing that and even if I disagree with him, I respect him for that

But your evaluations are pristine and beyond reproach? Give me a break.

I cannot believe I'm actually defending Blob, with whom I've had many disagreements. For one thing, he doesn't need my help. For another? You may not agree with him but he can generally back up his narrative.
Absolutely not. Thats why I'm constantly inviting people to having conversations about prospects like Bagley. Alltough Blob declares prospects as busts. I dont do that. There is a big difference. Even if I didnt like Bagley, I had him ~7th on my board and gave him a reasonable chance of being a long time player in the Nba. Blob completely trashes guys like Porter or Tatum. I never do that.

I get it. You're upset that we didn't pick Doncic. I'm gonna do something else I really can't believe I'm doing - I'm going to paraphrase Grant Napear. If you're really that upset, you can always put your money where your mouth is and become a Mavs fan.
Moronic comment so I'm not surprised it came from Grant. If I believed strongly that we should pick Doncic instead of Bagley and then I'd not be irritated on how things turned up, I wouldnt consider myself a real fan. I'm emotionally invested on the team so it will spark some feelings. I want excellence from Kings so I will keep demanding excellence from Kings. Only way to operate for me

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And I assume you understand that this isnt about Vlade, that was a response to a rethoric of "if doncic is so great why didnt we take him or why didnt hawks take him". It was stupid rethoric and my reply was demonstrating the point that us or another team passing on a prospect doesnt make it automatically smart.

And I've argued against a lot of them and I can keep doing that. Havent seen blob or you comment on those posts on Bagley thread. In general I say that a lot but only to the people who I havent seen arguing those post. Roasthawg(?) has beed doing that and even if I disagree with him, I respect him for that

Absolutely not. Thats why I'm constantly inviting people to having conversations about prospects like Bagley. Alltough Blob declares prospects as busts. I dont do that. There is a big difference. Even if I didnt like Bagley, I had him ~7th on my board and gave him a reasonable chance of being a long time player in the Nba. Blob completely trashes guys like Porter or Tatum. I never do that.

Moronic comment so I'm not surprised it came from Grant. If I believed strongly that we should pick Doncic instead of Bagley and then I'd not be irritated on how things turned up, I wouldnt consider myself a real fan. I'm emotionally invested on the team so it will spark some feelings. I want excellence from Kings so I will keep demanding excellence from Kings. Only way to operate for me
Fair responses all. I didn't comment in the Bagley thread for the simple reason I was onboard for Doncic from the very beginning and didn't really feel like I wanted to waste a lot of time or effort trying to convince anyone who was in favor of Bagley because he was in my mind a perfectly acceptable alternative.

We've got a player who has tons of potential, who is well regarded throughout the sports world and will be fun to watch. I could have said the same had Doncic been picked. As a Kings fan, I'm happy. We got a good guy, which was our objective.

It's like getting a new car. You walk on the lot and see two very nice cars. One strikes your fancy a little more but there's really nothing wrong with the other one. If your objective isn't solely to get that particular model but is more just to leave the lot with a good reliable car does it really matter which logo is on the front?

Fair responses all. I didn't comment in the Bagley thread for the simple reason I was onboard for Doncic from the very beginning and didn't really feel like I wanted to waste a lot of time or effort trying to convince anyone who was in favor of Bagley because he was in my mind a perfectly acceptable alternative.

We've got a player who has tons of potential, who is well regarded throughout the sports world and will be fun to watch. I could have said the same had Doncic been picked. As a Kings fan, I'm happy. We got a good guy, which was our objective.

It's like getting a new car. You walk on the lot and see two very nice cars. One strikes your fancy a little more but there's really nothing wrong with the other one. If your objective isn't solely to get that particular model but is more just to leave the lot with a good reliable car does it really matter which logo is on the front?
This. I knew a lot of people who wanted Bagley over Doncic. I, personally, wanted Doncic. I actually still am under the belief that Doncic is going to explode in this league and, as a result, he is going to make Vlade regret, just a little bit, not drafting him. I, too, saw Bagley as a perfect alternative selection, and told myself, and others, that I will gladly settle with Bagley at the end of the day if that is the direction Vlade decides to go in the draft.

I am excited to be a Kings fan (again). It's been way too long.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This. I knew a lot of people who wanted Bagley over Doncic. I, personally, wanted Doncic. I actually still am under the belief that Doncic is going to explode in this league and, as a result, he is going to make Vlade regret, just a little bit, not drafting him. I, too, saw Bagley as a perfect alternative selection, and told myself, and others, that I will gladly settle with Bagley at the end of the day if that is the direction Vlade decides to go in the draft.

I am excited to be a Kings fan (again). It's been way too long.
First, welcome to Kingsfans.com

Second, welcome back to being a Kings fan. :)

One thing I think most of us can agree with is that it's a good time to be a Kings fan.

It's nice to see fans excited. I was for Luka first. MPJ if healthy second and MB3 third. Then as I was doing more and more research MB3 moved into second place. Reading about his work ethic, his christian beliefs (which make me think he won't get into trouble off the court) HIs solid family, Him being friends with Giles and Fox. Him acting like he wanted to be here. It just made his fit very good. Much like Foxes last year. When you add his motor and rebounding I think we are going to have a huge fan favorite. Sacramento is about to explode with some fun basketball. when you think of all the potential on this team WOW. What a great time to be a Kings fan

Love these two posts back to back.

One argues that the drafting Bagley was a good move and hence cannot be Vlade's since he is a bad GM.
Awsome.
I didn't say that. I said that any decision Vlade arrives at will be subject to a consensus and the approval of those around him. He may have decided on his own Bagley was the right pick. Coincidentally the opinions around him in favor of Bagley outweighed the opinions in favor of Luka. I never said Vlade wanted Luka and was outvoted. For all I know he wanted Bagley as much as anyone else but the pick was made because there was enough of shared point of view to validate the selection. I don't know you could possibly incorrectly infer what you did.

I didn't say that. I said that any decision Vlade arrives at will be subject to a consensus and the approval of those around him. He may have decided on his own Bagley was the right pick. Coincidentally the opinions around him in favor of Bagley outweighed the opinions in favor of Luka. I never said Vlade wanted Luka and was outvoted. For all I know he wanted Bagley as much as anyone else but the pick was made because there was enough of shared point of view to validate the selection. I don't know you could possibly incorrectly infer what you did.
You did say Vlade is reduced to a "figurehead more or less" and that "his authority has been stripped". You also say that Willimas is "the man behind the scenes and brains to the operation". All of these statements lead me to believe that you feel Williams calls the shots and that you think no future move can be made without Williams approval.

btw, as far as Bagely decision itself, given Vlade's press conference it seems to me that he is really into Bagley. Some of it seems to come from Bagley's willingness to come to Sacramento and embrace it, but its also obvious Vlade thinks he is very talented. Here is hoping both of you are right.

As far as Luka, I think he will be very good, and probably better off in Dallas..

You did say Vlade is reduced to a "figurehead more or less" and that "his authority has been stripped". You also say that Willimas is "the man behind the scenes and brains to the operation". All of these statements lead me to believe that you feel Williams calls the shots and that you think no future move can be made without Williams approval.
Fair enough, but just to clarify I am not trying to take credit away from Vlade for picking Bagley. I am saying his decisions are subject to the consensus of his group. I don't think he has unilateral power in the front office any longer. He has made too many bad moves to given this level of authority. This is different than saying he wanted Luka and was outvoted.

Fair enough, but just to clarify I am not trying to take credit away from Vlade for picking Bagley. I am saying his decisions are subject to the consensus of his group. I don't think he has unilateral power in the front office any longer. He has made too many bad moves to given this level of authority. This is different than saying he wanted Luka and was outvoted.
I understand your position. you view Williams' hiring as a move by the ownership to damage control Vlade, as opposed to Vlade's decision to get some NBA expertise/experience on his team. I guess the end result is the same regardless of how it came about.

What lead you to that conclusion? If that is the realty how did Pedja get promoted to AGM?