Vegas Summer League GAME 1: Sacramento Kings v. Phoenix Suns, 7/7/18 4:30 PST, 7:30 EST

Who comes out on top

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Meanwhile the Bulls did not match on LaVine today. What's the holdup? I think they match but one reason I suggest it is NOT a 100% done deal is because the report came out less than 1-2 hours after LaVine signed his offer sheet the Bulls "planned to match". Did they even see the terms of the deal? It is kind of strange. Stranger things have happened than an alleged incompetent front office say one thing and do another, or change their mind when the moment of truth arrives. I still think we have a small chance to land LaVine.
They announced and I posted (somewhere) that they will officially match the offer on Sunday before the deadline. They know the terms of the deal. Their deal with him even has a clause regarding the injury.

You don't think he's really hurt?
I question it (not to be negative, but to be real). One game he made no impact (leading one to think he may not be enthused for SL?). He’s catching heat. It’s an interesting time for a ticky tak, which is why I asked if someone could further shed light on the play that it happened and how it looked

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I only got to watch the first half of this game. We had a wildfire up here and it seemed prudent to monitor the scanner and make sure I wasn't going to have to load up and get the heck out. Luckily, there's no wind today and the fire was in fairly accessible terrain so it was knocked down without too much trouble. Just a couple of dozers, two hand crews and three retardant drops did most of the work.

Meanwhile the Bulls did not match on LaVine today. What's the holdup? I think they match but one reason I suggest it is NOT a 100% done deal is because the report came out less than 1-2 hours after LaVine signed his offer sheet the Bulls "planned to match". Did they even see the terms of the deal? It is kind of strange. Stranger things have happened than an alleged incompetent front office say one thing and do another, or change their mind when the moment of truth arrives. I still think we have a small chance to land LaVine.
They may want to make moves before they match. For example they could sign Parker potentially then match

Nice he had a decent game before this if that is that.
One play that stood out for me was one that resulted in a missed layup by Harry Giles. Bagley dove on a pick and roll and Mason hit him in the middle of the paint where he was then surrounded and dumped a nice pass to Giles.

It gave me a small glimpse of Bagley's vision and passing skill.

Harry should have scored, but he fumbled the pass which threw off the timing.

They announced and I posted (somewhere) that they will officially match the offer on Sunday before the deadline. They know the terms of the deal. Their deal with him even has a clause regarding the injury.
"Planning to match" is not the same as officially matching. Like I said I think the Bulls will match but the door is open not to. They are NOT bound contractually by a text message sent to Woj. It was odd to me they claimed they were going to match so SOON after LaVine signed with the Kings. It was bang bang. Now after reviewing more thoroughly the terms of the contract they may have a change of heart including a sign and trade. it is not likely but possible. And to add a little drama LaVine and Giles were exchanging pleasantries after the game. Future teammates? :p

"Planning to match" is not the same as officially matching. Like I said I think the Bulls will match but the door is open not to. They are NOT bound contractually by a text message sent to Woj. It was odd to me they claimed they were going to match so SOON after LaVine signed with the Kings. It was bang bang. Now after reviewing more thoroughly the terms of the contract they may have a change of heart including a sign and trade. it is not likely but possible. And to add a little drama LaVine and Giles were exchanging pleasantries after the game. Future teammates? :p
It appears the Bulls are finding ways to shed salary to get their cap room back up before signing the offer sheet officially ... at least, that was their purpose with the 3-way trade they were involved in today.

?

He told Jones already who has tweeted it, that he’s fine and it isn’t serious. I’m assuming he knows his body, in conjunction if there wasn’t a serious play, that I’m assuming nothing is wrong. I’ll feel bad if there is
Clearly something happened. He was seen on the floor holding his groin and moving gingerly. I think it occurred when he and Ayton went up for a rebound. Once Bagley was out, Ayton padded his stats with some easy buckets in the 4th.

Nothing serious and nothing wrong are two completely different things. Also, you don't play your first round pick in Summer League if there is even a slight injury. There's no point; nothing to be gained.

Clearly something happened. He was seen on the floor holding his groin and moving gingerly. I think it occurred when he and Ayton went up for a rebound. Once Bagley was out, Ayton padded his stats with some easy buckets in the 4th.
If that’s true my bad, that is what I was initially asking.

I thought the OP put “hip” in quotes.. didn’t see the game. (Maybe for another reason)

Hope he will be good. I gotta take another hiatus and catch my mind :) unless they sign Capela

Last edited:
It is somewhat troubling the issues that Bagley has had so far in the SL. People may say that SL means absolutely nothing, but that's just not true. It matters to some degree. I think that players struggling is more telling than ones playing well. Because it is not unusual for a player to do well in SL then fall flat on their face when the regular season starts up.

Also people complain about voicing opinions about the SL after so few games, but the nature of these observations is to make judgements, opinions, about the future, isn't it? It doesn't make the opinion correct, but it's only natural to make a judgement about a player's future, no matter how brief or contextualized the observation might be. I don't see the harm in it, if taken relatively lightly for what it is, it's an evolving process.

What I liked about Bagley's selection is that people think he (potentially) compliments Fox's game very well. When you draft a guy like Fox, I think he has demonstrated enough talent so far to justify tailoring the roster to some degree around him. And it works better because Fox himself is a distributor, that can in turn make other Kings' around him better. I don't know why their games compliment in depth yet, except that he is can keep up with Fox's quick tempo, and they can run and effective pick and roll game. Bagley can ideally make Fox much more effective on the floor, and vice versa. And I think that would be a winning dynamic that the team can feed off of.

In all fairness this is only the first game I've been able to watch, but I did like his effort, I am especially excited when he beats a guy off of a face up, uses that agility/athleticism to get open look in the post (even if just briefly), makes an exceptional rebound, or flat out hustles hard. People have commented on the board about how the poor guard play (Mason) hurt the rest of the team, and I agree for this game. At the end of the day, what I kind of expected (guessed) is that Bagley won't be a #1 guy, but a #2. And I'm excited that the Kings feel good enough about Fox to spend the high draft pick on a player that is expected to compliment his style of play.

More that one year later, I still cannot believe Vlade watched Justin Jackson play and say "Let's draft him!".
I wanted OG, BAD.Well before his injury I professed that this guy was an important key to building something. BTW, not looking for glory. Just a fan. In January before he got hurt. Evidenced by my post history. Was working so could not catch the game, but I have a request.

Don't lament what we have (JJ) constantly if possible ( I have enough pain ;) and I like Justin) Tell those of us who couldn't watch this SUMMER LEAGUE game what changed between his last two games where it read ( didn't get to watch sadly )that he dug deep and pulled out a lil alpha.

Thanks

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Nothing serious and nothing wrong are two completely different things. Also, you don't play your first round pick in Summer League if there is even a slight injury. There's no point; nothing to be gained.
But what shall I do with all my piping hot takes?

They may want to make moves before they match. For example they could sign Parker potentially then match
Yep

Albert Nahmad @AlbertNahmad
Bulls have until 11:59 pm tonight to officially match the Zach Lavine offer sheet. Doing so will reduce their potential cap room by $9.9M, from up to as much as $30.5M (if Kilpatrick/Zipser/Stone are all waived and Nwaba’s qualifying offer is withdrawn) to up to $20.6M

20.6>19.5

If that’s true my bad, that is what I was initially asking.

I thought the OP put “hip” in quotes.. didn’t see the game. (Maybe for another reason)

Hope he will be good. I gotta take another hiatus and catch my mind :) unless they sign Capela

I saw the game. He really was hurt. Trainers came over to him and everything. He was in some serious discomfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears the Bulls are finding ways to shed salary to get their cap room back up before signing the offer sheet officially ... at least, that was their purpose with the 3-way trade they were involved in today.
They saved 2.6M by trading Grant for a player (Stone) with non-guaranteed contract they plan to waive. If the cheapskates stick to form maybe they don't match LaVine. Today is the day! Just reading the tea leaves, I am lowering the odds from 95% chance they match to 70%. Hey we overcome worse to get the #2 pick!

They saved 2.6M by trading Grant for a player (Stone) with non-guaranteed contract they plan to waive. If the cheapskates stick to form maybe they don't match LaVine. Today is the day! Just reading the tea leaves, I am lowering the odds from 95% chance they match to 70%. Hey we overcome worse to get the #2 pick!
They officially matched this morning according to Shams.