Vegas Summer League GAME 1: Sacramento Kings v. Phoenix Suns, 7/7/18 4:30 PST, 7:30 EST

Who comes out on top

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mason does one of two things, he either drives into a crowd or passes halfcourt picks up his dribble and looks to throw to the tallest player that is furthest from the basket. He is not a backup quality pg in the nba. The team had hardly any assists.

Justin if hes not scoring he is useless. Stats say he had 4 steals, no he was in the area of bad passes. He may be a backup sf (ceiling).

Giles was a beast. He had 5 steals because he is a ball hawl, alert and active defensively. He did have two horrible passes today, but still he showed us a great deal today. He rushed his offense at first, but once he settled in hit a 3, two fade aways and "the shake."

Bagley had a solid game, stayed active on offense and defensive rebounds. Ayton got away with some pulling and pushing (late), but played solid defense too. He did shoot two airballs but hes looking for his shot and had a 3 rim out. After he inadvertently elbowed josh jackson, javkson was out to get him, and ended up with hard foul (that saw bags leave the game).

Oh please, Stockton is not an NBA-caliber player. Mason gets grief in part because he shows no emotion. He does not endear himself to fans in this regard. He's not exactly Mr Charisma. But I would not mistake this stoicism for lack of inner fire. Don't give up on Mason just yet.
Don't confuse stoicism with talent either haha. He was great in college and he showed flashes last season, but he looks like a 3rd string PG at the moment.

Meanwhile the Bulls did not match on LaVine today. What's the holdup? I think they match but one reason I suggest it is NOT a 100% done deal is because the report came out less than 1-2 hours after LaVine signed his offer sheet the Bulls "planned to match". Did they even see the terms of the deal? It is kind of strange. Stranger things have happened than an alleged incompetent front office say one thing and do another, or change their mind when the moment of truth arrives. I still think we have a small chance to land LaVine.

Oh please, Stockton is not an NBA-caliber player. Mason gets grief in part because he shows no emotion. He does not endear himself to fans in this regard. He's not exactly Mr Charisma. But I would not mistake this stoicism for lack of inner fire. Don't give up on Mason just yet.
The Kings shot 32.4 % tonight not including 3's
The team had 8 total assists.

Frequently they were out of position or couldn't even setup a basic offense.

The point is not being able to run even a simple offense for most of the night.

Meanwhile the Bulls did not match on LaVine today. What's the holdup? I think they match but one reason I suggest it is NOT a 100% done deal is because the report came out less than 1-2 hours after LaVine signed his offer sheet the Bulls "planned to match". Did they even see the terms of the deal? It is kind of strange. Stranger things have happened than an alleged incompetent front office say one thing and do another, or change their mind when the moment of truth arrives. I still think we have a small chance to land LaVine.
I would be pretty darn happy about that :)

The Kings shot 32.4 % tonight not including 3's
The team had 8 total assists.

Frequently they were out of position or couldn't even setup a basic offense.

The point is not being able to run even a simple offense for most of the night.
There is NO doubt Mason has been terrible. But I know he is better than he has showed. I also know he battled plantar fasciitis in the second half of the season. He's still a guy who can create space with his low center gravity and strength. He has a nice shot and he's fearless taking it to the rim. He's NOT the bum we have witnessed lately.

There is NO doubt Mason has been terrible. But I know he is better than he has showed. I also know he battled plantar fasciitis in the second half of the season. He's still a guy who can create space with his low center gravity and strength. He has a nice shot and he's fearless taking it to the rim. He's NOT the bum we have witnessed lately.
He has a few more games to show it. Our offense in general has looked atrocious every game so far besides game 1 with Fox. If it wasn't for Jackson hero ball in games 2 and 3 I'm sure it would of been even worse.

I don't think he's a bum but he's not fit to be the backup. He wastes 8-10 seconds of the shotclock aimlessly dribbling with no purpose only to pass it to a guy he could have passed it to 6 seconds ago. That and he couldn't get past anyone today. He's not very quick.

I still don't get the fascination with Lavine. Not sure why we need another guard and, no, he can't play the 3. He'd get eaten alive.

I don't think he's a bum but he's not fit to be the backup. He wastes 8-10 seconds of the shotclock aimlessly dribbling with no purpose only to pass it to a guy he could have passed it to 6 seconds ago. That and he couldn't get past anyone today. He's not very quick.
And Frank can spend another season developing and maybe shine down the road.

We need to find a budget veteran pg soon.

I don't think so. Justin Jackson is trash. I'd say trash as your starting SF is a fairly significant concern given quality of starting SF in the West (Durant, LeBron, George, Josh Jackson, Ingles, etc). Mason can hold his own against back-up PGs more than Jackson against these heavyweights, despite his struggles this summer. This is why I wanted LaVine. LaVine would have supplanted Jackson. Unless Vlade has another trick up his sleeve, we are screwed. Asking Boggy to play the 3 full time is untenable. We need to make a move.
LaVine is not a SF

The Bulls are likely just holding the Kings money up. There's no incentive to get the deal done before the 48 hours is up.

And Frank can spend another season developing and maybe shine down the road.

We need to find a budget veteran pg soon.
Fans with short memories forget Mason was often our best player the first few weeks of last season against better competition than he faced this summer. There were a couple of games Grant and Jerry said Mason was the best King on the floor and at the time I was inclined to agree. Now all of the sudden he is a "lost cause"? I don't think so. Obviously he needs to be better. I think he will be.

Fans with short memories forget Mason was often our best player the first few weeks of last season against better competition than he faced this summer. There were a couple of games Grant and Jerry said Mason was the best King on the floor and at the time I was inclined to agree. Now all of the sudden he is a "lost cause"? I don't think so. Obviously he needs to be better. I think he will be.
He has shown no ability to run a cohesive offense. To make matters worse we are a developing team and it risks stunting others development.

No I don't think he is ready to be handed the keys as our primary backup pg.

I posted videos in the LaVine thread that show LaVine matching up well size-wise against Butler and Wiggins (Wolves), two SFs and towering over Tyler Johnson and Josh Richardson (Heat), two SGs. He's closer to 6'7" than 6'5" no matter what he is listed at. Concluding that he's a combo guard because that was where he played with Bulls and Wolves is NARROW thinking. Clearly the Kings offered the 4/80 to him because they feel the SAME way that I have asserted. You DON'T pay 80 million to a third SG! If LaVine was 6'4" or 6'5" I would object to the offer sheet as much as any outspoken fan. Refer to the videos and decide for yourself.

He has shown no ability to run a cohesive offense. To make matters worse we are a developing team and it risks stunting others development.

No I don't think he is ready to be handed the keys as our primary backup pg.
I understand your frustration with him I am just not as willing as you to write him off just yet.

I understand your frustration with him I am just not as willing as you to write him off just yet.
Who is writing him off?

I guess spending time to develop like I said earlier = done with to you.

He deserves the criticism and doubt.

So go get us something serviceable on a one year if you can to hold the fort down for now.

I have seen enough to draw this conclusion. Giles is engaged on both ends. He cares about defending. Willie is disinterested. Giles also refuses to cede his ground. Willie gives ground. Harry also is comfortable away from the basket. Willie is lost away from the basket. Harry keeps his feet. Willie falls down. These are dramatic distinctions.
Is somebody pushing back on the idea that Giles >>> WCS??? Omg it is night and day

Who is writing him off?

I guess spending time to develop like I said earlier = done with to you.

He deserves the criticism and doubt.

So go get us something serviceable on a one year if you can to hold the fort down for now.

You want to demote a 4 year college Player of the Year to third string? That's writing him off in my book. It would be hard to overcome that barring injury. If Mason cannot command back-up PG minutes NOW (next season) I doubt he's ever going to find a substantial role with this team. He will go G-League or Europe and try again with a new NBA team. It would be different if he were a one-and-done player. I think if the Kings commit to a veteran PG behind De'Aaron, Mason is effectively done as a King. I don't think that will happen. I think the front office has more confidence in Mason than fans are currently exuding. I would add even if the Kings sign a veteran PG on the cheap, Mason can win the backup job in camp.

You want to demote a 4 year college Player of the Year to third string? That's writing him off in my book. It would be hard to overcome that barring injury. If Mason cannot command back-up PG minutes NOW (next season) I doubt he's ever going to find a substantial role with this team. He will go G-League or Europe and try again with a new NBA team. It would be different if he were a one-and-done player. I think if the Kings commit to a veteran PG behind De'Aaron, Mason is effectively done as a King. I don't think that will happen. I think the front office has more confidence in Mason than fans are currently exuding. I would add even if the Kings sign a veteran PG on the cheap, Mason can win the backup job in camp.
Well if he wins it, he deserves it.

Mason is ultra cheap contract wise, we'd be fools to just let him go regardless of how we fill out our depth.

But let's say we went with Smart, well Frank better show enough flashes while he is here to show value. But let's say for example a budget guy like Lawson was on the table. At the risk at others detriments to development I think you do that and hopefully Frank gets the primary backup role later in the season.

Maybe Lin recovers from injury and we swap a veteran.

Something.

The irritation with having so many youngsters with a fella who has trouble even establishing offensive cohesion is hard to properly state without profanity.

You could roll with Temple I guess.

Frank seems to play better with a joint facilitator on the floor where it's not all up to him too. Perhaps having Bogi, or a SG that could help out.

Something man.