[UTA/LAL]Talk about a paradox

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was one sick block by Ronnie Price. I swear it feels like if you come to the Kings and leave via trade/cut/whatever, you end up making it big shortly after.
It makes me wonder what Adelman saw in Jason Hart that he loved so much! Since watching Price play in December 2005 against the Mavs @ ARCO, I knew he was better than Hart! Adelman never figured that out, and it's about time that Sloan realized it!

All I can say is that I don't understand how I realized it from section 219, and 2 Hall of Fame coaches on the sideline took forever to realize it!!! Price is the reason I sympathize with the Jazz!

Wow. Game 5 was almost good, until the refs forgot what a push off was.

You know, the thing Pau did about 4 times at the end of the 4th, including twice in the final two Laker possessions, both ending in scores.

Seemed obvious to me that a Utah big was flying out from under Pau after ever offensive rebound. Somehow though, the refs missed it every time.

Odd.
The last one was sooo blatant. My cat noticed it. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but how do three professionals miss that call? Its the whole Lakers thing. Of course, had it been the Kings, there would've been an and-1 foul called against the Kings for getting in Pau's way.

Wow. Game 5 was almost good, until the refs forgot what a push off was.

You know, the thing Pau did about 4 times at the end of the 4th, including twice in the final two Laker possessions, both ending in scores.

Seemed obvious to me that a Utah big was flying out from under Pau after ever offensive rebound. Somehow though, the refs missed it every time.

Odd.

Yeah I agree. Okur was pretty obviously pushed on that offensive rebound Pau got and it was obvious. I don't see how the ref(especially since he was right in front of the play I think) missed that.

As the video above demonstrates, if Okur would have just manned up and gone for the rebound instead trying to get bailed out by the Zebras, things could have been different.

As the video above demonstrates, if Okur would have just manned up and gone for the rebound instead trying to get bailed out by the Zebras, things could have been different.
Oh, hello Laker fan. Are you still blind to blatant referee favoritism after all these years? If so, post what you just did.

Oh good, so you are.

Kobe managed a similar feat in the 1st half. He flung Harpring's forearm away from his jersey and Harp flew onto the court and nearly crashed thru to China. Our guys are incredibly powerful. (Balco...)

I'd much prefer to say the Lakers got a real break on the no call, but that is really Okur's fault for not holding his position at the top of the lane where he met Gasol to block him out. Okur doesn't really provide any resistance to letting Gasol move him down the lane. And, that was the second offensive rebound which Okur gave up to Gasol in the final minute of the game. The Jazz had their opportunities and couldn't secure their own defensive glass.

You know what, Okur did flop, and it was a good no-call by the refs. They weren't calling flops all game long, and I appreciated that. I do think that Gasol pushed him, but Okur should have just boxed out and grabbed the rebound, and if Gasol was really pushing him, it wouldn't have mattered, because he had position and should have just grabbed the rebound.

That having been said, the Lakers got the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls/non-calls down the stretch. Boozer and Kirilenko were getting beat up down low on the other end, and never got any calls.

Then Odom beats Boozer on a back-door and gets a rim-rattler, and for some reason, I guess because the Lakers' execution was so good, he gets a +1, even though no one touched him. There was another play where Jordan Farmar fell out of bounds trying to save the ball, and since Kirilenko was in the area, he got called for the foul, even though he didn't cause Farmar to fall down. In fact, the official that was five feet away held his whistle, and the back official rides in on his black stallion to save the day and make the call. Even though there was no foul committed.

That type of blatant disparity is the reason why people are upset that other calls aren't made, because even though the Okur call was correct, in my opinion, the Jazz still got the short end of the stick down the stretch.

Then Odom beats Boozer on a back-door and gets a rim-rattler, and for some reason, I guess because the Lakers' execution was so good, he gets a +1, even though no one touched him. There was another play where Jordan Farmar fell out of bounds trying to save the ball, and since Kirilenko was in the area, he got called for the foul, even though he didn't cause Farmar to fall down. In fact, the official that was five feet away held his whistle, and the back official rides in on his black stallion to save the day and make the call. Even though there was no foul committed.

That type of blatant disparity is the reason why people are upset that other calls aren't made, because even though the Okur call was correct, in my opinion, the Jazz still got the short end of the stick down the stretch.
Spot on. I had forgotten about those two plays in particular (although I was more frustrated that Boozer had actually challenged Lamar 25 feet from the basket to set up an easy give and go with Gasol that lead to Odom's jam).

I'm glad I'm not a Utah die hard, or I'd be infuriated with Boozer's relative disappearance in these playoffs (and this series with the Lakers in particular). He's had one good quarter of play in 5 games, and has otherwise not been able to take advantage of either Odom or Gasol on the low block. Neither of those guys are all league post defenders (imho), and Boozer is supposedly an All Star PF.

Verdict is in.

It was a flop.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-195/Something-Foul.html

My best interpretation of the video is that Okur tried to get his team possession another way -- by dramatizing a foul that had actually occurred seconds earlier.

He did a pretty good job of it too. But in the end, it was a rebound, dunk, game, and likely series to the Lakers.

And so I stopped being mad at the no call. And I started getting mad at the flopping.

UPDATE: Love this Matt Harpring quote, from the Salt Lake Tribune: "Sometimes when you come down the stretch like that, it's who wants the ball more. We've got to get the ball. Those are just hustle plays. They're not going to call fouls like that. You've just got to find a way to come up with the ball."

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Whether he acted is really irrelevant as he was clearly pushed from behind which is a foul if the same rules would apply for the lakers. You can interpret anything in any way You want but he was pushed and that is a bottom line. at least - they didn't call "and 1"

Whether he acted is really irrelevant as he was clearly pushed from behind which is a foul if the same rules would apply for the lakers. You can interpret anything in any way You want but he was pushed and that is a bottom line. at least - they didn't call "and 1"
I'm glad someone still sees through the spin. And it wasn't just that one play, Pau had pushed someone for a rebound 2 plays before and got a score. Its rediculous.

My best interpretation of the video is that Okur tried to get his team possession another way -- by dramatizing a foul that had actually occurred seconds earlier.
That's a dumb statement. That is the only important part of the statement. He concedes a foul did occur. Even if Okur flopped a couple of seconds later, it doesn't negate the foul.

So the thinking is,"Yeah, he got fouled there, but I'm not going to call it, because I didn't like his flop a few seconds later?"

That was one sick block by Ronnie Price. I swear it feels like if you come to the Kings and leave via trade/cut/whatever, you end up making it big shortly after.
Does anybody have a clip of that block?...I miss Ronnie. I loved his energy, hustle and attitude.

Again, Pau not only straight presses 230 lbs with his left arm, he can send you flying without even moving his arm forward.

That, my friends, is the message behind the Laker Jeep vid. They are all drinking the Pau Crunk. (Note that Pau is behind the wheel...)

Status
Not open for further replies.