Tyrese Haliburton

He only averaged 6 points a game his freshman year before jumping to 15 in his sophomore campaign. I think a lot of people are wanting to put a lid on his potential because he is so cerebral and has a mature game already but I fully expect him to improve drastically year two. My prediction is around 16 points 6 assists and much better defense
I think people put a lid on his potential because he doesn't have the elite athleticism nor the scoring ability that people often use to measure potential in the NBA. For his scoring, he's not an aggressive scorer. He doesn't really look for his own shot much, but he also can't create his own shot consistently. He's averaging 1FTA for every 10.4FGA which is one of the worst in the league. He's not much of a down-hill attack and can't get to the rim. I don't see the FTs ever being a part of his game. He's limited to side dribble 3s, occasional step back 3s, and floaters.

16-6 is still a role player in the league, which isn't bad at all, but if he wants people to look at him beyond that, I think he has to add more to his scoring arsenal while becoming a more aggressive scorer.

16-6 is still a role player in the league, which isn't bad at all, but if he wants people to look at him beyond that, I think he has to add more to his scoring arsenal while becoming a more aggressive scorer.
16-6 is my prediction for next season not his career best. He will never be an elite scorer but I could see him averaging around 20 and impacting the game in other ways. I think he can be an elite facilitator

I think people put a lid on his potential because he doesn't have the elite athleticism nor the scoring ability that people often use to measure potential in the NBA. For his scoring, he's not an aggressive scorer. He doesn't really look for his own shot much, but he also can't create his own shot consistently. He's averaging 1FTA for every 10.4FGA which is one of the worst in the league. He's not much of a down-hill attack and can't get to the rim. I don't see the FTs ever being a part of his game. He's limited to side dribble 3s, occasional step back 3s, and floaters.

I think he slid so far down in the draft because GMs thought that his absolute ceiling would be the numbers that he wound up putting up this year. I'm not ready to put a lid on anything because of that. He's already far surpassed expectations and he's only 20.

I still have him as a Joe Ingles type player and I don't think he'll ever be what Edwards and Ball will probably wind up being but that's perfectly ok because we weren't picking 1st or 3rd so we didn't have a chance at those guys anyway. He's actually better than Edwards right now but you can see Edwards has a brighter future as a #1 option.

@D13 made some good points in this thread. Why not let Hali push it more so we can see what he can and can't do? I'm not a big fan of throwing players to the wolves (no pun) because it can certainly hurt their confidence if they fail miserably at it but I'm also not a fan of locking young promising players into narrowly defined roles that might bring out the best in them at the time, but fail to unlock the ability to hit their ceilings in the future.

Problem is that Walton is the coach and he's going hard after pointless wins right now to make himself look better. It's hurting the development of players and the future of the franchise. Haliburton is just one of many players that are being hurt by his selfishness.

I think he slid so far down in the draft because GMs thought that his absolute ceiling would be the numbers that he wound up putting up this year. I'm not ready to put a lid on anything because of that. He's already far surpassed expectations and he's only 20.

I still have him as a Joe Ingles type player and I don't think he'll ever be what Edwards and Ball will probably wind up being but that's perfectly ok because we weren't picking 1st or 3rd so we didn't have a chance at those guys anyway. He's actually better than Edwards right now but you can see Edwards has a brighter future as a #1 option.

@D13 made some good points in this thread. Why not let Hali push it more so we can see what he can and can't do? I'm not a big fan of throwing players to the wolves (no pun) because it can certainly hurt their confidence if they fail miserably at it but I'm also not a fan of locking young promising players into narrowly defined roles that might bring out the best in them at the time, but fail to unlock the ability to hit their ceilings in the future.

Problem is that Walton is the coach and he's going hard after pointless wins right now to make himself look better. It's hurting the development of players and the future of the franchise. Haliburton is just one of many players that are being hurt by his selfishness.

Luke is just parody at this point. Only he could find a way to limit minutes on our 2nd best player to "try and win" more games.

Scorers are dime a dozen in this league. A guy that can get you 16 to 20 AND is a great facilitator and defender is a gem.
I think my biggest concern for Haliburton is on the defensive side of the ball. Right now he is like a cb who gets 9 ints a year but gets lit up the rest the time. Ty has the length and the smarts to be a difference making defender but has to work on his strength and frankly just needs more experience. If he settles in as a plus defender with elite play making and shooting that is a borderline star type player IMO

I also think Ty is the type of player that will excel with other high IQ players. Once we have strong offensive and defensive concepts - I think he will execute at a high level and make everyone better. It’s the fear of contact that I think could limit him if he doesn’t get a lot stronger.

He's essentially a weak/taller Malcom Brogdan which is pretty good but the fact I don't think he will ever get to the rim like Brogdan kind of limits him and makes him not a poor mans Brogdan but just a tier below which is still good (he will barring injury have a way longer NBA career as well coming in at 19/20). The team has been starved of high IQ guys who help the team.

I think my biggest concern for Haliburton is on the defensive side of the ball. Right now he is like a cb who gets 9 ints a year but gets lit up the rest the time. Ty has the length and the smarts to be a difference making defender but has to work on his strength and frankly just needs more experience. If he settles in as a plus defender with elite play making and shooting that is a borderline star type player IMO
Remember what most were saying about Swipa during and after his rookie season. And even in season 2.

Needs to get stronger.

Many of us argued that he would. He was only 20/21 at the time.

Same goes for Tyrese.

Like Swipa, he’s a very bright and seemingly intellectual kid. That loves playing the game and hates to lose. I like the odds of players like them figuring things out.

Swipa has improved his strength, his defense and his shot. I have little doubt that his FT percentage will climb too.

Tyrese is already a good perimeter shooter. But I can see him working hard to get stronger and develop his weaknesses.

I don’t have any concerns about either player.

MB3 on the other hand — I am fully concerned.
I also very concerned about the KINGS finding a 3rd star in the making. And a capable head coach.

Last edited:
Another thing about Tyrese. He may develop a step back 3 that becomes a real weapon. Or we may find the perfect pick and roll finisher to complement him or someone that can set good screens to get him down hill. These type of changes could dramatically increase his impact.

Ty has good defensive instincts, he’s just way too light and gets bullied really easily. Any strength and conditioning department worth a damn puts him on a serious weight gaining plan this summer. Being that Tyrese actually seems serious about his Development as a player, unlike other recent Kings draft picks who will remain nameless, I think he puts in the effort.

He's essentially a weak/taller Malcom Brogdan which is pretty good but the fact I don't think he will ever get to the rim like Brogdan kind of limits him and makes him not a poor mans Brogdan but just a tier below which is still good (he will barring injury have a way longer NBA career as well coming in at 19/20). The team has been starved of high IQ guys who help the team.
Brog is actually a pretty great "expected outcome" player for Hali. Mega-efficient, very comfortable playing off-ball or on-ball, lights-out shooter, makes winning plays with high-basketball IQ. Big difference I think is Brogdon came into the league at 24, while Hali is doing this as a 20/21 year old rookie. Which is why I don't think we can cap who Hali can be yet; it's very rare for a young rookie guard to come in with the poise/effectiveness that he has on the offensive end.

I never saw Ty as a potential #2 on the team. IMO he’s a glue guy that is important to win games. His ceiling is an elite #3 which I’m totally happy with
Any player can be #1 option or 2nd fiddle statistically but if you're as good of a potential glue player as him I'm not sure it's a great thing for your team to turn them into that. Haliburton is largely developed outside of his physique. That alone should go a long way for him even with few gaps or major boom potential as a prospect he will improve.

Any player can be #1 option or 2nd fiddle statistically but if you're as good of a potential glue player as him I'm not sure it's a great thing for your team to turn them into that. Haliburton is largely developed outside of his physique. That alone should go a long way for him even with few gaps or major boom potential as a prospect he will improve.
Agreed, his career path should be to be elite as possible in what he’s already excelling at

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Remember what most were saying about Swipa during and after his rookie season. And even in season 2.

Needs to get stronger.

Many of us argued that he would. He was only 20/21 at the time.

Same goes for Tyrese.

Like Swipa, he’s a very bright and seemingly intellectual kid. That loves playing the game and hates to lose. I like the odds of players like them figuring things out.

Swipa has improved his strength, his defense and his shot. I have little doubt that his FT percentage will climb too.

Tyrese is already a good perimeter shooter. But I can see him working hard to get stronger and develop his weaknesses.

I don’t have any concerns about either player.

MB3 on the other hand — I am fully concerned.
I also very concerned about the KINGS finding a 3 star in the making. And a capable head coach.
In Fox's first and mostly second year, he hardly got to the line. Why? Because he fell away from the defense when attacking the basket trying to avoid contact. But now, as a stronger player, he attacks the heart of the defense, gets calls, and still scores over 76% of the time. What Fox did his first couple of years is exactly what Haliburton is doing this year. Haliburton is the kind of player that becomes a star in the league. He's smart, has terrific BBIQ, hates to lose, and is a very hard worker. He's also very efficient, which Edwards isn't by the way. Edwards is shooting 32% from the three, and he takes an incredible 7 a game. Two years from now, this discussion won't be happening!

I think his IQ is way higher than Brogdan’s. I see him as a potential John Stockton type of player. Stockton was the 16th pick btw. A smarter man than I said you reach the level your IQ let’s you reach. That level is a pretty high level for Hali.

It’s a hot take now but I think we see significant improvement next year.

In Fox's first and mostly second year, he hardly got to the line. Why? Because he fell away from the defense when attacking the basket trying to avoid contact. But now, as a stronger player, he attacks the heart of the defense, gets calls, and still scores over 76% of the time. What Fox did his first couple of years is exactly what Haliburton is doing this year. Haliburton is the kind of player that becomes a star in the league. He's smart, has terrific BBIQ, hates to lose, and is a very hard worker. He's also very efficient, which Edwards isn't by the way. Edwards is shooting 32% from the three, and he takes an incredible 7 a game. Two years from now, this discussion won't be happening!
Totally agree.