Tyrese Haliburton

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It's hard to justify giving the award to a player who played just over half the season, but I also wouldn't feel good about giving it to a lesser performer simply because they played more games. LaMelo (whose middle name is LaFrance according to BR.com, which is kindof awesome) was averaging 16, 6, and 6 and had his team in the playoffs. That's the bar Tyrese or Anthony Edwards or some surprise challenger (Bey? Quickley?) will have to meet before I would feel good about awarding ROY to someone else. They don't necessarily have to be better than LaMelo and play the full season, but they do have to be close.

At the time of the draft most had Haliburton going higher than where landed but not much higher. Being so overall talented coming out of short career at Iowa St it was unorthodox shot that got him downgraded a bit. Simply put, not NBA prototype jump shot (but works well in WNBA;)). Ball released at such low point but just like college now goes in regularly in the pros.

At the time of the draft most had Haliburton going higher than where landed but not much higher. Being so overall talented coming out of short career at Iowa St it was unorthodox shot that got him downgraded a bit. Simply put, not NBA prototype jump shot (but works well in WNBA;)). Ball released at such low point but just like college now goes in regularly in the pros.
I don't even think we talked about him all that much because we didn't expect him to be available when we picked. I think I had him 4th on my board. Heck of a steal.

Really hoping we don't wind up picking in the same spot again this year. Can only rely on luck for so long.

Due to blackout rules, I watched the dubs broadcast. Warriors announcers LOVE Fox and Hali. Said Fox is becoming a star and Hali should’ve never dropped to 12. Compared Hali to Sean Livingston with a three and a Kevin Martin/George Gervin hybrid.

It's hard to justify giving the award to a player who played just over half the season, but I also wouldn't feel good about giving it to a lesser performer simply because they played more games.
In principle, I agree.

However, on another hand, playing a full season (or close to it) should carry more weight even if the average production is a tad less. Because it’s more challenging to keep up the production over an entire season. Things like the rookie wall and injuries can often derail. Which actually happened here.

IMO production from the half season player better be significantly better.

I can’t see any justification for handing the award to 16-6-6 over a half season vs 13-3-5 over mostly a full season with superior shooting numbers and efficiency across the board.

A 3 ppg, 3 rpg a 1 apg difference with inferior shooting numbers & efficiency doesn’t qualify as significantly better in my book.

Last edited:
Just FYI there is an Amick - Tyrese interview on the athletic. Nothing super head turning but he comments there are a few guys here who want to make Sac a destination, which is nice. Also cool re his personal ambition.

I was very surprised he got past Pheonix.

So if he fell to 10th because teams 1-9 thought he couldn't do this, why did the Suns and Spurs pass on him too? ;)
the Spurs almost didn’t. They took a while and got a good wing in Vassell. Why the Suns didn’t draft him or why Ainge didn’t package his 3 picks to move up and grab him is a good question. (Not sure Ainge didn’t try)

It would be nice if these last handful of games Tyrese got the full green light. He's actually really good at creating his own shot. Don't force it, but if he's got an opening, shoot. He should be taking min 14-15 shots a game.

Anthony Edwards was looking horrible early season, then the Wolfs pushed him and he started putting up big numbers at the cost of horrible efficiency. It looks like he's worked that out now and his confidence has really jumped.

I think Tyrese could benefit from same thing. Get more shots up, don't worry about efficiency and work bugs out now while wins don't matter. He's needs a couple 30 point games to raise his rep before end season. He can do it. The organization should push for this.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Eh, it’s gone. It’s now the returning LaMelo coming to take back his award from the flashy and surging Anthony Edwards. And honestly, who cares. ROY sure did worlds of wonders for this franchise and Tyreke Evans years back.

Eh, it’s gone. It’s now the returning LaMelo coming to take back his award from the flashy and surging Anthony Edwards. And honestly, who cares. ROY sure did worlds of wonders for this franchise and Tyreke Evans years back.
I agree, but wasn't thinking or referring to ROY.
Just saying he is laying back too much and sometimes getting froze out. The games left are a chance to build his rep and confidence even more. The organization should be encouraging and pushing him to shoot, not sitting him for guys like Terence Davis who will jack 10 shots in 10 min.

Just don't think Tyrese is aggressive enough getting his own shots. For this very reason, it's why a lot of scouts penciled him as a high level role player. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think he'll reach that star level capacity people are hoping for. For the ROY award, I think he's behind LaMelo and Edwards.

He's only a rookie and has a lot of time left to figure out his game. Not really worried about Haliburton, but the hype has died down a lot.

Just don't think Tyrese is aggressive enough getting his own shots. For this very reason, it's why a lot of scouts penciled him as a high level role player
He only averaged 6 points a game his freshman year before jumping to 15 in his sophomore campaign. I think a lot of people are wanting to put a lid on his potential because he is so cerebral and has a mature game already but I fully expect him to improve drastically year two. My prediction is around 16 points 6 assists and much better defense