Twitter drama (split)

What should happen to Grant Napear?

• Total voters
Before Grant started filling in for Rome I thought he was a no talent hack who just happened to have an afternoon sports "talk" show. His show is unlistenable. Other than his opening monologue and a few interviews sprinkled here and there his whole show is "Welcome to the show" and "Thanks for calling". He doesn't contribute much else.
However, when he fills in for Rome he is actually very good. Changed my whole perspective on the guy.

Before Grant started filling in for Rome I thought he was a no talent hack who just happened to have an afternoon sports "talk" show. His show is unlistenable. Other than his opening monologue and a few interviews sprinkled here and there his whole show is "Welcome to the show" and "Thanks for calling". He doesn't contribute much else.
However, when he fills in for Rome he is actually very good. Changed my whole perspective on the guy.
Very simple.... two different audiences.

I could go on a rant after reading this rediculous thread but I won't... Grant is in the top percentile of announcers(along with Gman). He is also a very good radio show host. He has a blind spot with regards to the Kings. This is well known. His football knowledge has proven over the years to be very good(hockey too). These are facts. The fact you may like his approach or style is an opinion. Not a fact. An example, I don't particually like Marv Albert but hes considered a legend.

I watched that whole twitter fiasco and was amused with the Breton/Dave tweets the most(Anybody recall that Breton was very anti-arena for along time? Thats also a big part as well.). As mentioned above Koz and Grant do not like eachother but both love and respect Dave alot. Grant and Koz taught Dave just about everything he knows about the sports side of the biz and geronimo the rest. Grant with the most though.

The Wrestling show I forgot about but that was true.... Thats what ended crosstalk. Which I quite enjoyed.

Since the new owners will be negotiating new contracts with everyone, they could easily make it a condition of Grant's employment with the Sacramento Kings that he not have a second job that could be considered a conflict of interest with his Kings job.
That's a big increase in salary then.

I wonder just how many PBP guys across the country have the same gig? I bet most do. Wheels has a show in Portland i believe.

On the TV side I really enjoy Grant and Jerry. Yes Jerry dreams up corny names for the players and I look forward to every one:) IMO Grant is very good at PBP. I hope both are retained for their TV roles.

I listen to KHTK and while I do not always agree with Grant and the other hosts, overall I enjoy the broadcasts.

I hope the new owners bring back Kayte, Koz and Henry on the Pre/Post game shows. I really miss Kayte:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Grant must go down with the sinking ship I remember a couple of summers ago in his old time slot he would just be a complete *** to Kings fans who had any sort of negative opinion on the front office, I understand he is employed by mse BUT he has sinned to many times over these last few years to be given a pass.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Grant is in the top percentile of announcers(along with Gman).
This statement is only half-right.

He is also a very good radio show host... His football knowledge has proven over the years to be very good(hockey too).
Perhaps this explains everything. Maybe if I gave a **** about football, it would change my whole perspective on Napear?

Someone should do a poll on all this Grant stay or go. I bet huge majority would be in favor of giving Napear the boot and a one-way pass out of town. G-Man is another story completely. 100% total class, total team (not owners) loyalty, always respecting the local community and Kings fans.

Grant must go down with the sinking ship I remember a couple of summers ago in his old time slot he would just be a complete *** to Kings fans who had any sort of negative opinion on the front office, I understand he is employed by mse BUT he has sinned to many times over these last few years to be given a pass.
I don't blame Grant at all for not trashing the Maloofs. They are his bosses. I wouldn't trash my boss in public either. Totally get that. Where he looks lame is by INSISTING that the reason he defends them has nothing to do with the fact that he works for them. When he makes it clear that he thinks the Maloofs have done nothing wrong here, and that they love Sacramento, the fans, etc, he sounds kinda crazy....and he's alienating the part of his audience who know better.

I just want to bring up one point, re: Grant -

How many of you listened to Grant's show prior to the Maloofs owning the team?

Because I was listening back in 97-98, and it was (as I remember) one of the most insightful and compelling sports shows I've ever heard.
He didn;t just bombast and denigrate every day. His observations about the Kings were harsh, honest, and invariably spot-on. And they were usually negative/tough-love about the Kings.
IIRC, around 2001 or so he started slowly becoming more and more of a mouthpiece for the organization. It didn't happen overnight.

Also - re: that Kayte video clip.
Gosh, that woman is gorgeous.
I'd watch her just walking in a marathon.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You no like football? That's unpossible!
Oh yeah. As a matter of fact, I'm fairly sure I'm the only hetero male in America who not only doesn't like football, but also likes the WNBA. My dad, for example, is a big booster of women's sports, and has season tickets to the Atlanta Dream, but is also a lifelong Bears fan.

Straight, doesn't like football, and likes women's basketball? I don't know any guy besides me who checks off all three of those boxes...

lol yah. I do like the WNBA too but it seems like I gravitate to the female players that are pretty though so I am not sure if I like to watch for the cute ones or if I actually like the women playing.

As for football.. Life long Bengal fan. My pops is a huge Giant/49er fan so way back I had to do everything opposite of my dad and the Bengals were in the SB with the 49ers, so I went with the Bengals and never looked back. Since my dad liked to go to Giants games I had to root for the Dodgers. My first game I attended Fernando Valenzuela was pitching. I think the Dodgers have beat the Giants every game that I have attended except for one. (attended about 20 or so giant/dodger games.)

So it's because of my dad that I am into football and baseball. And it's because of him that I root for the Dodgers and the Bengals lol.

I generally don't differentiate between mens/womens sports myself.. I'm a huge USWNT fan and get up for them about as much as the USMNT, and was always a fan of the Monarchs when they were here.. The Monarchs championship runs - both when they won the title, and when they were upset by Detroit, were nice

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I generally don't differentiate between mens/womens sports myself.. I'm a huge USWNT fan and get up for them about as much as the USMNT, and was always a fan of the Monarchs when they were here.. The Monarchs championship runs - both when they won the title, and when they were upset by Detroit, were nice
Which begs the question: if the Monarchs are reinstated, as rumored, would they bring back Monarchs Talk? And is there anyone on the staff at 1140 right now who's qualified and interested? Come to think of it, that's a sad state on how slim the pickings are in women's basketball: whether we're talking about TV or radio, I'd gladly take a novice who was enthusiastic about the product over an established name, who can barely be bothered to even pay lip service.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Which begs the question: if the Monarchs are reinstated, as rumored, would they bring back Monarchs Talk? And is there anyone on the staff at 1140 right now who's qualified and interested? Come to think of it, that's a sad state on how slim the pickings are in women's basketball: whether we're talking about TV or radio, I'd gladly take a novice who was enthusiastic about the product over an established name, who can barely be bothered to even pay lip service.
Well, given my stated and serious intention of starting a bring back Kayte movement as soon as the sale is official, maybe she could do it.

I agree, while there may be some callers that I wish Grant would just let speak before yelling at them, but that show does bring out some pretty stupid people that call the show....To be honest, sometimes I think callers just call the show with stupid things to say just to see if they can get a rise out of Grant, lol.....It's kinda funny sometimes. Me and a friend use to listen together and use to predict when Grant was just going to go off....I remember one caller calling in asking something really stupid and Grant started screaming at him, and you can hear the guy in the background laughing as he hung up, almost as if he planned the stupid call on purpose, lol....

I agree, while there may be some callers that I wish Grant would just let speak before yelling at them, but that show does bring out some pretty stupid people that call the show....To be honest, sometimes I think callers just call the show with stupid things to say just to see if they can get a rise out of Grant, lol.....It's kinda funny sometimes. Me and a friend use to listen together and use to predict when Grant was just going to go off....I remember one caller calling in asking something really stupid and Grant started screaming at him, and you can hear the guy in the background laughing as he hung up, almost as if he planned the stupid call on purpose, lol....
The funniest moment on his show was when a caller asked where he got the nickname "Peaches" and he just hung up him and went to the next call right away. I was laughing for a good 15 minutes.

This statement is only half-right.

Perhaps this explains everything. Maybe if I gave a **** about football, it would change my whole perspective on Napear?
Nope. Grant is a major parroter. He repeats what others say and then relies on the cacophony of that majority to back it as knowledge. This applies to Football or Hockey or whatever.

People here saying they've been listening to Grant for a long time. Okay. Do you folks remember that Grant hated Rome? That he thought he was a foolish act with no real knowledge? Now he guests on Rome's spot. Why? Grant learned the act sells and that's all that matters to a guy like him. Grant has an act and Rome has an act. Their sports observations and knowledge is overly obvious and often parroting, but if you back it with an act then it sells. They are two different acts, but they are what they are.

This is professionalism. It's dishonesty that is profitable. Grant is a total professional. That's why he has respect. Others on KHTK that have gone the way of the dodo didn't do the 'professional' well enough. Grant got into a place of power by selling himself out and he doesn't mind wielding that power. I don't think he got Koz fired, but it was obvious that he and Koz didn't mesh well. The only thing Grant can pair off with is the dumb jock. He needs something that doesn't challenge his seat of authority in knowledge. He doesn't mesh well with Kayte because it was obvious that Kayte knew more.

I hope Grant learns that his bosses weren't the Maloofs. I hope he learns his bosses are the fans and that he did not do right by his boss. The audience is the reason the bills are paid in entertainment. Sometimes America forgets that.