Trade Suggestion: Fox for Simmons + #28

Kings not in the mix for Ben Simmons
Sam Amick: Man, I knew I could count on you to bring that Kings fire, DA. If anyone missed it, our Hall of Famer made this spirited Sacramento argument when we last discussed the Simmons situation in early September. Yet as was the case then, sources tell me the Kings have been determined to see what this current group looks like early on this regular season and haven’t revisited the Simmons situation since the two teams spoke months ago.

– via Sam Amick, David Aldridge, John Hollinger, The Athletic NBA Insiders @ The Athletic

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kings not in the mix for Ben Simmons
Sam Amick: Man, I knew I could count on you to bring that Kings fire, DA. If anyone missed it, our Hall of Famer made this spirited Sacramento argument when we last discussed the Simmons situation in early September. Yet as was the case then, sources tell me the Kings have been determined to see what this current group looks like early on this regular season and haven’t revisited the Simmons situation since the two teams spoke months ago.

– via Sam Amick, David Aldridge, John Hollinger, The Athletic NBA Insiders @ The Athletic
And considering Morey's refusal to budge from his "deals that mortgage your future only" policy, hooray for that

We are finally starting to build some home-grown talent.

We drafted very well the last two drafts, and finally have a GM that considers the defensive end of the court (in player evaluation).
I don't see why would we give up any picks for a player that quits on his team, his fans, and himself.

Ben Simmons is soft
One could easily argue that someone that cares about what the masses thinks they should do and follows along is soft.

It takes a lot of guts to do what Simmons is doing, whether you agree with him or not.
He’s taking on much more criticism and wrath from fans than he ever did for his on-court play. And doesn’t seem to care one bit.

In many ways that’s the opposite of soft.

Is there a known Indiana offer, or just a hypothetical offer one reporter thinks is fair?
Yes, my bad. It’s a bit unclear via Marc Stein (via RealGM Wiretap) whether real or hypothetical, but regardless, he states “The 76ers, however, have been unmoved by Indiana's package built around Malcolm Brogdon and Caris LeVert for Simmons.” … which seems crazy to me.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...-Malcolm-Brogdon-Caris-LeVert-For-Ben-Simmons

Edit: I thought I read it on this board, but apparently not.

dude12

Hall of Famer
One could easily argue that someone that cares about what the masses thinks they should do and follows along is soft.

It takes a lot of guts to do what Simmons is doing, whether you agree with him or not.
He’s taking on much more criticism and wrath from fans than he ever did for his on-court play. And doesn’t seem to care one bit.

I don’t see it that way at all. He’s coming across as a soft diva

Ive never heard this angle of taking your ball and going home. That's the strong play now? That was a B move in my day.

The problem is he doesn't/can't shoot. Not listening to the masses(and probably coaches and teamates) got him partially where he is. Thats stubborn arrogence. Not anything Philly did or the masses say.

And another team is figuring out this is a players league. It will be interesting to see if Philly holds out on him since they still have a team likely able to compete and hold a playoff slot with or without him. Some part of me hopes they do so that balance of power can switch back to franchises a little bit.

Of course you do.

95%+ of these athletes are soft divas, if you really wanna go there. It’s the day and age we live in.

Simmons is no softer than any of these other prima donnas. LBJ, for one, is as soft as they come. Dude has as fragile an ego as there is. And he‘s the role model for many of these younger players, which should tell you everything you need to know.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Exactly. I have a standing offer of Buddy, Bags, and a first. Take it and be happy. Lol
What does that do for the chemistry that’s been created this far. Cohesion is important and for now we have that and haven’t had it in years because of roster turnover every year.

What does that do for the chemistry that’s been created this far. Cohesion is important and for now we have that and haven’t had it in years because of roster turnover every year.
The team has won 2 preseason games thus far this season. If we were in the regular season and crushing it, that would be one thing, but I don’t think that’s something to worry about right now. Especially considering they don’t look even close to being a top tier team at this moment in time.

What an astonishing situation.

Ben Simmons dug himself a big hole with his postseason play and responses to it, with modest assists from Doc and Embiid. And then Morey grabbed a bigger shovel.

Now Simmons has emptied his house in Philly and is about to sell it?

If Morey's not a complete fool, he'll swallow his pride, stop the nonsense about "an All-Star + 3 1sts +... +.....+," take the best available deal for his team, and move on. Happily for him, there'll always be a robust market for a player as gifted as Simmons who's young, healthy, and hasn't committed any violent crimes.

At the end of the day, Morey won't be judged on whether Ben Simmons and Rich Paul beat him at Chicken. He'll be judged on how the Sixers do, post-trade, with the assets they get in return. I suspect that if they get Brogdon+ or McCollum+ - and they surely can - they'll do JUST fine.

With Fox's added size and Mitchell ready from the get, should the Kings look at offering some form of a Tyrese/Buddy/Bagley/picks package? Fox/Mitchell/Simmons/Barnes/Holmes is defense for days. I don't know it's interesting.
nah I think keeping the 3 guards is the better direction. If we can’t get rid of Buddy, he’s only got one more year left on his contract. Now that I’ve typed this, it’s not gonna be hard to trade Buddy.

most of us would gladly take the chance of giving up Bags/Buddy/Pick to get Simmons and then see if we can get some chemistry going l.

What an astonishing situation.

Ben Simmons dug himself a big hole with his postseason play and responses to it, with modest assists from Doc and Embiid. And then Morey grabbed a bigger shovel.

Now Simmons has emptied his house in Philly and is about to sell it?

If Morey's not a complete fool, he'll swallow his pride, stop the nonsense about "an All-Star + 3 1sts +... +.....+," take the best available deal for his team, and move on. Happily for him, there'll always be a robust market for a player as gifted as Simmons who's young, healthy, and hasn't committed any violent crimes.

At the end of the day, Morey won't be judged on whether Ben Simmons and Rich Paul beat him at Chicken. He'll be judged on how the Sixers do, post-trade, with the assets they get in return. I suspect that if they get Brogdon+ or McCollum+ - and they surely can - they'll do JUST fine.
Morey is kind of in a lose-lose situation. If Philly plays poorly, it is bad for him but Simmons might become more valuable. If the Sixers play without missing a beat, Simmon's value may plummet.

Morey is kind of in a lose-lose situation. If Philly plays poorly, it is bad for him but Simmons might become more valuable. If the Sixers play without missing a beat, Simmon's value may plummet.
Maybe, but I'm betting that Morey is absolutely desperate for the Sixers to open the season without missing a beat, because if they do, then Simmons also loses his leverage. Simmons' holdout is predicated on the following threat: "Trade me or suffer the consequences." If the consequences are a winning record and favorable playoff positioning, then Philly can stare Simmons down for as long as they want, waiting for the best possible deal to come along, while Simmons forfeits check after check and piles up fine after fine, wondering all the while if his holdout is worth tens of millions of dollars.

Of course, to your point, that will likely also cause opposing GM's to say, "Well, he's not so great after all if Philly is on track for another .600+ season without him," thus keeping Simmons' value depressed, and keeping Simmons and Morey locked in perpetual limbo. Morey has to hope that the Sixers get off to a hot start, the media narrative shifts to favor the Sixers in this drawn-out saga, and Ben Simmons/Rich Paul feel enough of the pressure and financial loss to blink. If Morey gets Simmons back on the court before the trade deadline, he stands a good chance of recouping more value than he would have gotten this offseason. But there are a lot of BIG if's for the Sixers to clear in order for opposing GM's to improve their offers.

Personally, if the shape of the rumored Indiana deal was accurately reported, I think Morey should have taken it. He should see if it's still on the table and take it tomorrow. In a vacuum, it's a better deal than anything the Kings have offered, and it allows the franchise to get past the drama while preserving locker room unity and shielding the team from constantly having to answer "What's the deal with Ben Simmons?" questions for however long the holdout would otherwise drag on.