[Trade rumor]Kings offered Bjelica for Kuzma, Lakers want Bogdan instead

Kuzma fits the timeline, but is a worse shooter and maybe worse overall than Belly now. And he slots into the same fit problem, in terms of Bagley will need to play the 5 and be the rim protector. I don't see what Kuzma brings playing the 4 that Barnes doesn't bring, and I don't love Barnes at the 4.
If Kuzma played anywhere but LA, he would be seen as a Marcus Morris fringe starter. He was interesting as a late round steal, but is about to become expensive.

Not going to make us any better; may make us worse. Rumors are talking about pic. No thank you! Kuz will not change who we are or how we are playing. That needs to come from the coach and the management.

We are not in the playoff race. We should be finding out what pieces we are keeping, such as playing JJ. We need to invest in the future, not throw another 1st away, especially for the likes of Kuzma.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Not going to make us any better; may make us worse. Rumors are talking about pic. No thank you! Kuz will not change who we are or how we are playing. That needs to come from the coach and the management.

We are not in the playoff race. We should be finding out what pieces we are keeping, such as playing JJ. We need to invest in the future, not throw another 1st away, especially for the likes of Kuzma.
Yeah, no firsts for Kuzma. Player and seconds for Kuzma I do in a heartbeat.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It makes sense for both Bjelica and Bogs to be traded. Bjelica last night with zero rebounds in 20+ minutes? Again, his wide swings in performance rears its head. He's too old and not good enough for the core of the team. Bogs isn't good enough overall, especially factoring in his injury history. Why are we holding these guys, if not for trade ammo? Do you think that next year we'll need them to make it to the NBA championship? Of course you want to deal these guys to teams who are desperate for veteran scoring in exchange for younger talent with higher ceilings. If this story is true, I can understand Vlade's position: He wants to deal Bjelica to the Lakers so he can deal Bogs to another team. Their services are no longer needed on this team.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Just a reminder: As we get closer and closer to the trade deadline, we're gonna see rumors about trades that have been proposed, etc. That doesn't mean they're true. ;)
I hope they are true, at least the part about Vlade having serious discussions with teams around the league about trading guys like Bjelica and Bogs. The more stories like this the better. At the very least it may improve Vlade's leverage in dealing players like Bogs and Bjelica for value.

It makes sense for both Bjelica and Bogs to be traded. Bjelica last night with zero rebounds in 20+ minutes? Again, his wide swings in performance rears its head. He's too old and not good enough for the core of the team. Bogs isn't good enough overall, especially factoring in his injury history. Why are we holding these guys, if not for trade ammo? Do you think that next year we'll need them to make it to the NBA championship? Of course you want to deal these guys to teams who are desperate for veteran scoring in exchange for younger talent with higher ceilings. If this story is true, I can understand Vlade's position: He wants to deal Bjelica to the Lakers so he can deal Bogs to another team. Their services are no longer needed on this team.
I'd want to deal them for sure but not for Kuzma. I don't see a path toward winning with that guy. It would be like teaming up Jabari Parker and Bobby Portis again.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd want to deal them for sure but not for Kuzma. I don't see a path toward winning with that guy. It would be like teaming up Jabari Parker and Bobby Portis again.
Kuzma has a higher ceiling than either Bjelica or Bogs. If that's the best offer that Vlade can get, then go for it. It's not like those guys are All Star material.

I'm not a Kuzma fan, although he has some upside. But he's not a good fit for us from a personnel standpoint. Pass.
Did anyone read the Bee editorial about Vlade? https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/article239746578.html
Clearly, Vlade sees Fox and Bagley as the cornerstones. And he just made huge investments in Barnes and Hield. And I would add that we now have a huge emotional investment in Holmes. IMO that's the core that Vlade thinks is, minus injuries, playoff bound. I'm also pretty sure that Vlade thinks Bogdanovic is every bit as valuable as the 5 players in the core, but maybe we can or maybe we can't afford to pay him what he wants to be our 6th man.

I get the Bogi love, but folks are way over-valuing him and under-valuing Kuz. They shoot darn near identical from the field but Bogi shoots better from 3. Meaning Kuz is a better shooter from everywhere else. Per 36 their numbers are nearly identical with the exception of assists. Kuz might be having a hard time adjusting to far less touches a game and fewer minutes, but he's playing behind LeBron James and Anthony Davis. What's Bogi's excuse? Plus Kuz has 2 more years at a ridiculously low price compared to potentially losing Bogi this offseason.

If the Lakers are willing to give up Kuz and pieces for Bogi it's really not the worse move to make. I'd look to see what Philly is offering first though.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Bjelica is an outstanding offensive player. Any team could use that skill set. Defensively, we are at a disadvantage most nights with him. Slow foot speed for stretch 4’s, not strong enough for most centers.

I get the Bogi love, but folks are way over-valuing him and under-valuing Kuz. They shoot darn near identical from the field but Bogi shoots better from 3. Meaning Kuz is a better shooter from everywhere else. Per 36 their numbers are nearly identical with the exception of assists. Kuz might be having a hard time adjusting to far less touches a game and fewer minutes, but he's playing behind LeBron James and Anthony Davis. What's Bogi's excuse? Plus Kuz has 2 more years at a ridiculously low price compared to potentially losing Bogi this offseason.

If the Lakers are willing to give up Kuz and pieces for Bogi it's really not the worse move to make. I'd look to see what Philly is offering first though.
Bogdan runs pick and roll, Kuzma in the end is a bit of a tweener. Those two things alone have all the world of difference in terms of potential value. The contract issues are what they are but in terms of the types of players they are Bogdan wins that battle. As for the trade, as an attempt to recover some value on an asset that you may lose for nothing it isn't bad. As a fit long term I don't see it.

Kuzma has a higher ceiling than either Bjelica or Bogs. If that's the best offer that Vlade can get, then go for it. It's not like those guys are All Star material.
Yeah, at this point the Kings are at a totally new level of low as far as outlook is concerned so some deals that didn't look all that great even a month ago might not be so bad now. Personally I'd rather see them get the cap back under some control and pick up some future 1st rounders. NO MORE FREAKING 2nds!

I’m not that impressed with Kuzma, and I don’t think he’s a great fit with the current Kings roster. I hope and believe that Sacramento’s FO is evaluating a multitude of trade scenarios that will return talent, value, and/or assets. I imagine that virtually every player not named Fox or Bagley has the potential to be shipped out either before the current deadline or next summer. Let’s hope Vlade and company make some productive moves that improve the team moving forward - not just change for the sake of something different that holds no real promise.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-ne...-bjelica-to-lakers-they-asked-for-bogdanovic/

Bjelica is not going to be happy about this. He specifically asked Divac for a long term contract because he wanted a stability for his family. Now, after playing one of his best seasons, Divac tried to trade him... Btw, I'd trade Bogdan for Kuzma without thinking.
(Hi everyone, first post)
Good point, but maybe Bjelica will be happy to leave the underwhelming Kings and go to a title candidate. If not, it would be a but of a nasty move by Vlade.

I'm not very impressed by Kuzma. His advanced stats are worse than Bjelica's, with the exception of TO%. At age 24, I am not sure he has much upside left. Also, he is smaller and lighter, so where would we play him? Pair him with Bagley and they have not enough length and bulk. At least Bjelica can play stretch 5 occasionally. So then what, is Kuzma a backup for Barnes and Bagley?

Who's minutes does Kuzma get if traded for Bogi? You gotta look at that and not just say their stats are "near identical." And you gotta consider that Bagley and Holmes will be back soon.

Bogdan runs pick and roll, Kuzma in the end is a bit of a tweener. Those two things alone have all the world of difference in terms of potential value. The contract issues are what they are but in terms of the types of players they are Bogdan wins that battle. As for the trade, as an attempt to recover some value on an asset that you may lose for nothing it isn't bad. As a fit long term I don't see it.
Don't we have enough guys to run PnR already? Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Baze, Corey Jo. Another PnR initiator isn't high on the needs list for our team. Plus you got consider what impact playing Luke's system can have on Kuz. If he can demonstrate some of that rookie and sophmore scoring prowess under Luke he'd be a big boost to the team. Plus him being under contract for 2 years gives us time to get a good look at him then make a decision. Unlike Bogi, who the clock is very much running out on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Don't we have enough guys to run PnR already? Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Baze, Corey Jo. Another PnR initiator isn't high on the needs list for our team. Plus you got consider what impact playing Luke's system can have on Kuz. If he can demonstrate some of that rookie and sophmore scoring prowess under Luke he'd be a big boost to the team. Plus him being under contract for 2 years gives us time to get a good look at him then make a decision. Unlike Bogi, who the clock is very much running out on.
Just a heads up since I don't know how long (if at all) you've been reading KF before you decided to join and get involved.

PnR to SacTownKid is like peanut butter to jelly, like grilled cheese sandwich to tomato soup. It's not about having "another PnR initiator" to him, it's about someone/anyone who can initiate the PnR EFFECTIVELY. Go back and look at the game threads. If there's one consistent theme in STK's posts it's that our failure to run PnR is a big reason for our lack of success on the court.

Just a heads up since I don't know how long (if at all) you've been reading KF before you decided to join and get involved.

PnR to SacTownKid is like peanut butter to jelly, like grilled cheese sandwich to tomato soup. It's not about having "another PnR initiator" to him, it's about someone/anyone who can initiate the PnR EFFECTIVELY. Go back and look at the game threads. If there's one consistent theme in STK's posts it's that our failure to run PnR is a big reason for our lack of success on the court.
I have not read much so I don’t know his exact argument, but there is much truth to it, IMO.
We have few players who set proper picks, fewer who know when and how to roll, and even fewer who know how to guide the defender into the pick and to make the right read and pass after the roll. Bogi is one of the better in the latter category.

Bjelica is basically currently at his ceiling. Do you think Kuzma can be as good as Bjelica has been? If this was the offseason after Kuzma's rookie year, I'd say he easily would. Then he took a step back last year. Then he took a huge step back this year despite being on one of the best teams in the league.

There are so many variables with Kuzma, I don't see it ever working out. He would have to miraculously go from being terrible to very good. Then Bagley would have to go from being terrible defensively to very good. If that doesn't happen, then we would need to find some other player that can defend and rebound at an elite level next to him because Kuzma averages 5.7 rebounds per36.

Too many variables. It's the same problem we have with Bagley. A whole slew of things have to go right in order for it to work out. The Kings need to acquire players that don't require unicorns next to them to succeed.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-ne...-bjelica-to-lakers-they-asked-for-bogdanovic/

Bjelica is not going to be happy about this. He specifically asked Divac for a long term contract because he wanted a stability for his family. Now, after playing one of his best seasons, Divac tried to trade him... Btw, I'd trade Bogdan for Kuzma without thinking.
"Offered" doesn't mean tried to trade him. "Offered" can be done knowing it won't be accepted, but it opens negotiations for something else, all while the offerer knows this.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Offered" doesn't mean tried to trade him. "Offered" can be done knowing it won't be accepted, but it opens negotiations for something else, all while the offerer knows this.
That said, I'd trade Belli for Kuzma and even Bogi for Kuzma. Bogi however is exactly the type of player that would thrive in a Laker uniform. Kuzma has long been one of my fave players in the league.