Trade for Jimmy Butler?

Well, yes, I’m not the highest on Bagley, but leaving De’Aaron/Giles out I don’t know what else we could do. He’s a quality player. But the fact that we could take on Dieng, and the fact that the Wolves are being lowballed maybe we could put a lesser package together. Not sure what?

Giving up any piece of our future for a one-year rental makes no sense to me. I can't imagine him wanting to stay beyond one year -- the only reason he'd come here for a year is to reestablish his credentials as a player, a la Rondo. The current drama surrounding him in Minnesota makes it clear to me that he is NOT one of the few players who would be happy in Sacramento.

I'm conflicted. You can't blame a player like Jimmy for being unhappy when he has to lead KAT and Wiggins. There seems to be a lot out there floating around about their lack of maturity and commitment on defense. Based on my interpretations, I don't think their work ethic comes into question, but their dedication does. They were both #1 picks who were treated as superstars as soon as they stepped foot in the NBA.

On the other hand, Jimmy is a player who came into the league as a late 1st rounder pegged in as a hard-nose defender with limited offense. He's worked his butt off to become a 2-way star. I think there's an understandable level of frustration for him.

However, the TWolves are actively trying to trade him, but they aren't going to take in pennies on the dollar just to make him happy. If the best asset they can get back is Josh Richardson, why in the world would they do that trade? I think the TWolves are nulling. For as much crap as I've given KAT and Wiggins, it seems like Jimmy brings his own drama in too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm conflicted. You can't blame a player like Jimmy for being unhappy when he has to lead KAT and Wiggins. There seems to be a lot out there floating around about their lack of maturity and commitment on defense. Based on my interpretations, I don't think their work ethic comes into question, but their dedication does. They were both #1 picks who were treated as superstars as soon as they stepped foot in the NBA.

On the other hand, Jimmy is a player who came into the league as a late 1st rounder pegged in as a hard-nose defender with limited offense. He's worked his butt off to become a 2-way star. I think there's an understandable level of frustration for him.

However, the TWolves are actively trying to trade him, but they aren't going to take in pennies on the dollar just to make him happy. If the best asset they can get back is Josh Richardson, why in the world would they do that trade? I think the TWolves are nulling. For as much crap as I've given KAT and Wiggins, it seems like Jimmy brings his own drama in too.
I have mixed feelings about this whole mess. The T-Wolves gave up a lot to get Butler, and it appeared to pay off when they made the playoffs for the first time in a thousand years. However, apparently behind the scenes, Butler was upset with the lack of commitment on the court by both Wiggins and Towns. Wiggins doesn't surprise me, but Towns does. But then, I'm not in the locker room with them. Rightly or wrongly, Butler decided he couldn't play with either of them anymore and asked to be traded.

I don't fault him for asking because he could have kept silent, and just walked at the end of the year. But I think it would have helped if he had done it sooner, like at the end of the season. So while it was a bitter pill to swallow, at least the T-Wolves were given a chance to get something in return. From that point on, I put total blame on Tib's. He started playing a waiting game in hope that he could get Butler back into camp and then convince him to resign at the end of the year. Despite his owner telling him to get a deal done.

I think today might have convinced him that it was a bad plan. I don't condone what Butler did today, cursing out the GM and the players, but he's clearly frustrated with the whole thing, and none of this would have happened if Tib's had gotten a deal done. A deal that the Heat said was all but consummated. He waited till the last moment to change the whole deal. While this may somewhat affect how Butler is perceived, it damages any leverage the T-Wolves may have had.

Butler will land on his feet. He's way too talented not to. Trust me, the Heat still want him, and so does Houston. The loser in this scenario is Minny, and maybe Tib's for the way he's handled this whole thing. I do appreciate both the T-Wolves and the Sun's organizations making the Kings look good. Nice to see that dysfunctional flashlight pointed at someone else for a change.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
as I've stated once upon a time, this dude screams cancer and his latest actions put that to the light. He's going to go down kicking and screaming until he gets his trade request it seems. Minnesota needs to let him sit at home and not be around the team period, and to spite him, have him on the bench for the entire season even if they get nothing in return since the offers will only diminish by the day.

I have mixed feelings about this whole mess. The T-Wolves gave up a lot to get Butler, and it appeared to pay off when they made the playoffs for the first time in a thousand years. However, apparently behind the scenes, Butler was upset with the lack of commitment on the court by both Wiggins and Towns. Wiggins doesn't surprise me, but Towns does. But then, I'm not in the locker room with them. Rightly or wrongly, Butler decided he couldn't play with either of them anymore and asked to be traded.

I don't fault him for asking because he could have kept silent, and just walked at the end of the year. But I think it would have helped if he had done it sooner, like at the end of the season. So while it was a bitter pill to swallow, at least the T-Wolves were given a chance to get something in return. From that point on, I put total blame on Tib's. He started playing a waiting game in hope that he could get Butler back into camp and then convince him to resign at the end of the year. Despite his owner telling him to get a deal done.

I think today might have convinced him that it was a bad plan. I don't condone what Butler did today, cursing out the GM and the players, but he's clearly frustrated with the whole thing, and none of this would have happened if Tib's had gotten a deal done. A deal that the Heat said was all but consummated. He waited till the last moment to change the whole deal. While this may somewhat affect how Butler is perceived, it damages any leverage the T-Wolves may have had.

Butler will land on his feet. He's way too talented not to. Trust me, the Heat still want him, and so does Houston. The loser in this scenario is Minny, and maybe Tib's for the way he's handled this whole thing. I do appreciate both the T-Wolves and the Sun's organizations making the Kings look good. Nice to see that dysfunctional flashlight pointed at someone else for a change.
we dont know if he requested a trade at the end of the season and Thibs did what he is doing now, nothing.

Reports are that Butler played with the 3rd string and whipped KAT and Wiggins with the starters.

as I've stated once upon a time, this dude screams cancer and his latest actions put that to the light. He's going to go down kicking and screaming until he gets his trade request it seems. Minnesota needs to let him sit at home and not be around the team period, and to spite him, have him on the bench for the entire season even if they get nothing in return since the offers will only diminish by the day.
Might as well waive him then because they are paying him anyways. Kings could pick him up on waivers!

I agree with Butler. He's on a team with talented, yet lazy players so in his mind he's like why should I waste my time here when they have no shot at anything other than a first round exit?

The report says he pulled the end of bench guys on his team and scrimmaged against the starters and whooped them every time. He's not going about it all in the most tactful way but he's not wrong here. A lot of us have been preaching for a while now that Wiggins is terrible and KAT isn't a franchise talent and Butler is basically telling the world the same thing.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
T-Wolves are the idiots here. They overpaid like nobody's business the underachieving soft as Walmart TP Wiggins, and then they pay Towns the maximum, while bringing in Butler to be the guy to catalyze them into playing hard and tough, especially on defense. The only problem is that they aren't paying the best player, Butler, what he's worth. What in the world did they expect when they brought in a guy around 30 years old who is tough and a competitor and the best player on the team and then they don't pay him what the underachievers are getting? It's a cautionary tale to the Kings. Don't pay underachievers, hoping that they will become achievers, only to crowd out the $$$ for those who really deserve it.

Butler is raising hell, and there's no law against it, nor is there anything contractually the Wolves can do about it, other than trade him. The Wolves lose a boat load of talent by trading to get Butler and now they are probably going to get pennies on the dollar in trading to get rid of him. Way to go, Timberwolves. You win the dunce of the year award.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If they DID get an offer of Josh Richardson and a protected first......I’d like to know how protected. They may want to jump on that offer if it’s only top 5ish protected.

Well, let’s consider it for a second. He would love Fox, Giles, and Bagley. One of Buddy/Bogi would go in the deal, but I think he’d appreciate both guys. Butler strikes me as a Kobe-type guy: not a charismatic locker room operator or glue guy by any means, but a commanding presence who gives full respect to those that respect the game and devote full attention to it. It seems like he thought he was coming in to be the battle-hardened big brother to shepherd KAT and Wigs into playoff warriordom, and they both blew him off. I can’t see any of our young guys doing that—they’d be all about learning from a guy like Jimmy.

I think he will sign the max extension wherever he is traded—don’t think he’ll bolt. We’d still have room for another max guy, maybe a Tobias Harris or Khris Middleton. It would be a bold move, but Jimmy could be the catalyst back to playoff relevance in a year’s time.

Anyone ready to trade for Butler yet or do you still want to roll with this group of "basketball players" the Kings have assembled?

Yeah, it's the players. The Kings just found almost the impossible lottery level combo of first round players who made it all the way through the top level AAU development, draft scouting, and so on but in reality just all suck a the same time in the same place. Hey, when there are 15 people in a room and as soon as 1 more walks in and they all leave even the most delusional person would at some point have to think it might just be them.

Yeah, it's the players. The Kings just found almost the impossible lottery level combo of first round players who made it all the way through the top level AAU development, draft scouting, and so on but in reality just all suck a the same time in the same place. Hey, when there are 15 people in a room and as soon as 1 more walks in and they all leave even the most delusional person would at some point have to think it might just be them.
The main problem is the coach but they'd still be losing with this group of players. He has an already group of deficient players firing on about 2 cylinders.

The main problem is the coach but they'd still be losing with this group of players. He has an already group of deficient players firing on about 2 cylinders.

Because of the system issues you still can't say for sure. Vlade hasn't drafted complete question marks either. The odds are heavily stacked against him getting 4 consecutive top 6 picks totally wrong.

It's a cautionary tale to the Kings. Don't pay underachievers, hoping that they will become achievers, only to crowd out the $$$ for those who really deserve it.
Agreed - WCS case in point.

Jimmy is the exact type of hard nosed two way vet i want here.

Hard working, lead by example, no bs taken.

Id see if WCS and some throw in's get it done. Must keep Bogdanovic who would be his immediate running mate with Fox, Giles, Bagley forming a strong following

Last edited:
Agreed - WCS case in point.

Jimmy is the exact type of hard nosed two way vet i want here.

Hard working, lead by example, no bs taken.

Id see if WCS and some throw in's get it done. Must keep Bogdanovic who would be his immediate running mate with Fox, Giles, Bagley forming a strong following
Butler plays hard-nosed ball, but acts like a diva. Id say he is over-valued around the league.

Butler would drop the Kings like a used napkin after a year. What in his current behavior and King's current situation makes anyone think that he would entertain staying on the Kings after the year was up? unless this whole winning as a priority thing is just a cover for wanting to go to a team that could pay him more. yes, the Kings could pay him, but there will be so much money sloshing around next season I'm sure he will be able to get his. Other than that, he would be good.

I don't want a guy who sells out his organization and teammates during an ESPN interview, all because he hasn't been traded yet and doesn't want to play with KAT or Wiggins. You're paid a lot of money to play basketball, not the other way around. The NBA has to take a stand against bullcrap like this. Players and agents simply shouldn't be allowed to own the league like this.

That being said, I would like the Kings to help facilitate a deal to send him to another team, but only if it benefits us. Otherwise, Butler can stay the heck away.