Trade Analysis (not venting)

Webber, Barnes, Bradley
Thomas, Willamson, Skinner

Why was this trade done, if the particulars are accurate?

Do the new players bring better defense?

Are they easier to trade over the summer as smaller contracts vs. one big monster?

Was this for Peja?

Think contractually. It's harder to move Chris Webber than Kenny Thomas, Williamson, etc. Petrie is taking a risk, but it makes sense, Webber has missed about half a dozen games with knee-related soreness this year, is 31, and has a contract that lasts several more years. The Kings probably weren't going to win the championship this year, and it's better to rebuild while the rest of your core (Peja, Bibby, Miller, etc.) is still in their primes. It would have been a much better deal had it been for expiring contracts, though. I wouldn't bash Petrie until the end of the summer, if the roster doesn't look significantly improved. Just MO.

But you’re right about one thing; on its face, this trade looks downright awful and makes no sense. But if Petrie has proven anything, it’s that he’s a very prudent GM.

IMO, it was a move for the future, so Kings fans' best approach is to wait and see.

Someone posted in another thread that it would be easy to move these players with another play for someone great. For example, Peja +1 76 for Paul Pierce.

I don't know...........I'm hurting. That is all I have to say about that.

Heuge said:
This trade may pee off Bibby.
i think he'll be POed to high heaven...i dont know what to say..how can the team react to this..it's a big shockwave to the league...and to think when i went to the nets game ob the 16th it was the last game id see him as a king... :( ...everyone wear your wbber jersey's tomorrow for support of c-webb

Really now guys, there's no reason to get too emotional over this, stars being traded is now the new norm. If Shaq can be traded, anyone can.

I'm hurting a lot too but we gotta have some faith in GP's move

think about what happens now that webber is gone:
- Peja will play better because its his team now
- Miller plays extremely well when webber is out
- it may be easier for us now to run and gun like the rest of the west (minus SA)
- etc. (I'm sure there is more but i cant think, im in shock... just trying to rationalize)

But im not knocking what CWebb brought to this team, we will miss him, especially in the next few weeks... it may not look like we are a championship team but we will still be contenders, dont doubt that. I have a feeling that this may prove to be a pleasant surprise in the future.

KA_2 said:
Really now guys, there's no reason to get too emotional over this, stars being traded is now the new norm. If Shaq can be traded, anyone can.
:rolleyes: There's plenty of reason.

The Kings as a team, and Webber as a player have gone through hella crap (no blame, just crap) over the last few years. Many Kings fans have been rooting for the Kings overall and Webber specifically to overcome the doubters, especially the doubters who didn't have rational or logical doubt, but just regurgitated the same ol' crap. With Divac, Christie, and especially Webber now gone, it is certainly understandable for a Kings fan to be emotional about this.

That said, it should go in a different thread (no venting). ;)

the BLED said:
I'm hurting a lot too but we gotta have some faith in GP's move

think about what happens now that webber is gone:
- Peja will play better because its his team now
- Miller plays extremely well when webber is out
- it may be easier for us now to run and gun like the rest of the west (minus SA)
- etc. (I'm sure there is more but i cant think, im in shock... just trying to rationalize)

But im not knocking what CWebb brought to this team, we will miss him, especially in the next few weeks... it may not look like we are a championship team but we will still be contenders, dont doubt that. I have a feeling that this may prove to be a pleasant surprise in the future.
Good post...

I think this might be close to Petrie's thinking, with some extra stuff, too.

I worry about the lack of a go-to guy. I also worry that the Kings will go back to being like the team that lost to Jazz and Lakers in 99, 00, 01. Kings might have more good players, but Webber was the only one I saw that had the ability to carry them, and he just really developed that skill recently.

The Freak said:
The way I see it, they're making room for the smaller contracts that will expire soon.
But the contracts they got don't expire soon. The idea is that its easier to trade smaller contracts, so they traded for trade bait. Unfortunately, most of the league doesn't want Skinner or Thomas, so that really works against that idea.

For the here and now, you've already instilled a message to the team and the players that you got that "they're only temporary". So, you aren't sending a positive message to the team. Not only that, but the players you got don't fit the system and we know how devoted the coaching staff is to the system.

So it's a bad trade.

KA_2 said:
There is a BIG difference between Shaq who demanded to be traded, and Webber, who just yesterday said he wouldn't trade what he has here in Sacramento for anything.

Looking back now I think the Christie-Mobley trade was in preparation for dumping Webber. Petrie knew we'd miss Webb's 20 PPG and made up for it by replacing a non-scorer with a scorer.

Why trade (and Barnes!!!) for these castoffs is beyond me. I assume there's a plan in there somewhere...
~~

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Dave McNulla said:
i can't believe it. petries trade their best player for a used ball bag and some weight room towels? i think the league should reject it in principle.
Oh you Spurs fans better watch out, because now we're going to shoot you guys out of the playoffs with our super-Peja. You scared yet? :rolleyes:

Bricklayer said:
Oh you Spurs fans better watch out, because now we're going to shoot you guys out of the playoffs with our super-Peja. You scared yet? :rolleyes:
Yeah! Now that Peja isn't shackled with 20 pt/10 rb/5 asst guy as the focal point of the offense.

Last edited: