Tonight’s the night?

I really think we may have a insight on what may be happening and see if certain players sit out tonight’s game.
If everyone plays their normal or resembles normal minutes then I just think our main cogs are not going anywhere.
would it be silly to play someone who will be gone in less than 24 hours and chance a injury?
And if everyone plays maybe we just use cap space and expiring contracts.

Oh exciting times

I have a feeling we won't make any moves. At the least, I'd like to get back into the first round of the draft, but I don't want to make a move for the sake of it either. I'm cool with standing pat if the move isn't worthwhile.

I really think we may have a insight on what may be happening and see if certain players sit out tonight’s game.
If everyone plays their normal or resembles normal minutes then I just think our main cogs are not going anywhere.
would it be silly to play someone who will be gone in less than 24 hours and chance a injury?
And if everyone plays maybe we just use cap space and expiring contracts.

Oh exciting times
I have a feeling that most trades won't go down until tomorrow morning. Everyone will be waiting and watching to see what happens with AD first.

I don't want AD with the Lakers, but if we can somehow turn being a facilitator for that trade into SF Brandon Ingram, I think we do it.

The Kings may be holding out to be the facilitator of such trades and pick up a first round pick or a young SF for our cap space and a player.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't really think any of our "main cogs" are going anywhere anyway. I would not at all be surprised to see ZBo or Ben or Kosta get traded, but they aren't playing. I suppose if WCS or Shumpert doesn't play, that could signal something, but I don't think we see a major shakeup on our core at all, and if we're going to have a big impact trade, it will likely be us sending expirings and cap space for a SF.

I doubt we make a move, but I’m really hoping we get a real deal SF anyway. It doesn’t have to be anyone that blows the doors off it’s hinges, but we need someone competent and most importantly, consistent. Shumpert goes into a month long shooting slump and JJ is a bench player, we simply cannot have that on a playoffs hopeful team.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Pretty sure New Orleans has decided to wait for summer on AD. They don't want to deal with the Lakers and Celtics can probably make the most enticing offer - especially since the picks they can offer won't be their own. Otherwise, they can make a deal with the team that lands the #1 or anyone else they'd like, with Boston's best offer in hand as negotiating tactic.

So unless Washington bites the bullet, maybe we sell one or two expirings, but we won't see anyone held out tonight most likely.

I would certainly hope a move is made. We have tons of assets that are worthless after tomorrow. We should try to get something out of them without giving away a core piece. It doesn't have to be a major move, but something that can help us this year and beyond.

We also need to decide on Willie. While I would hate to move him, particularly when we have a realistic chance of making the PO, we have to see how he fits our long term plans, the max contract we are willing to give him, and the chances that someone will make him a better offer. While it's impossible to predict it, if Vlade thinks there is a reasonable chance we lose him this summer, it's good to get something for him.

Finally, I would be happy to take on a bad contract for the next two years or so. We have tons of money to spend this summer, and chances are that we will end up overpaying someone for 4 years. Better to get a bad contract with some assets now, that puts us on the hook for only two years.

I don't want to see any of our rotation players sitting. That would mean we've traded one of our better guys away when chemistry is great. Jackson is the only person I'd be maybe willing to part with besides the obvious depth/expirings.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
$11M not a waste as far as Vivek and partners go. As far as NBA Monopoly $ to a GM - total waste.

They don't save that money, there is a penalty for remaining under the cap. They have to still pay it to the NBA and I think it gets distributed to the contracted players as a whole.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
They don't save that money, there is a penalty for remaining under the cap. They have to still pay it to the NBA and I think it gets distributed to the contracted players as a whole.
The Kings are only about $800K under the salary floor. They would only be penalized that amount, not the amount they are under the cap.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The Kings are only about $800K under the salary floor. They would only be penalized that amount, not the amount they are under the cap.

That's right, I thought the cap this year was at 108 and the floor was 101 but that's next year's cap and this years. What's the exact penatly? And I'm not sure what the Kings cap is at but I read the floor being at almost 91 which would put the Kings a few million under according to some cap sheets I've seen. Either way I'm sure whatever deals would be offset by cash considerations if it's to help tax teams. Also, getting above the salary floor is harder than it used to be since they closed the loophole that allowed teams to count more than the prorated salary of players against their cap.

I hope we do one of two things:

A) acquire at least a somewhat decent 3&D wing with size

B) use our cap space to acquire a mid to lst first round pick

I would consider talking with Houston about Knoght and if they’d part with their first round pick to get rid of his contract.

is it because of Bogie?
Your trade proposal has us giving away 7 players...nearly half the team. Including Bogi, WCS, Jackson and Mason. In return we get Porter and filler. Unless you consider Bradley valuable. That's team chemistry massacre. Sure, Otto fills the starting SF gap. But then we lose our (pretty good) playmaking 6th man SG/SF off the bench and our primary C.

I don’t like how easily the Heat avoided some tax, doesn’t bode well for the leverage of our space
I see your point but its not a bad deal for the Suns. Ryan Anderson can't play. Tyler Johnson can play at a cost to the Suns next year for about 5-6M net cost more depending on the buyout cost of Ellington. Especially if Tyler Johnson can play some spot minutes at PG, I like this deal for the Suns.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Your trade proposal has us giving away 7 players...nearly half the team. Including Bogi, WCS, Jackson and Mason. In return we get Porter and filler. Unless you consider Bradley valuable. That's team chemistry massacre. Sure, Otto fills the starting SF gap. But then we lose our playmaking 6th man SG/SF off the bench and our primary C.
is anybody here gonna cry over mason, jackson, kosta, randolph, or ben. we are giving up willie and Bogi for Bradley and Porter.

is anybody here gonna cry over mason, jackson, kosta, randolph, or ben. we are giving up willie and Bogi for Bradley and Porter.
Avery Bradley is having a terrible year. You are overvaluing him. It is arguable who is the better player between Otto and Bogi. I would rather have Beverly than Bradley off the Clips. I think we have an offer on the table for Otto but it is Willie and filler for him . I think the Wizards are countering asking for Bogi. That is the stalemate. One of the teams will have to come off their negotiating position to get something done. No way would I trade Bogi for Otto. No way! Fans are fickle and just because he's not making his shots we are going to get rid of him? Bogi was the best player on our team last year and he can get back to that level. I would be heartbroken if we traded Bogi but I am not concerned. Vlade has more sense than that, he knows what he means to the team.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't think the Kings make a move before the deadline. I can see them re-visiting trades and free agency in the off season. Use that capspace to your advantage then.

I get the feeling that we won't be making any moves. I don't want us to make a move for the sake of making a move but rather the right move if one is there for the making and we are happy to pay the price.