Tidying up loose ends and other news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I were Lacob/Guber I'd want to sell 20% to a guy who may leave in a year or two anyway, just more headaches to deal with...and replacing Vivek will already be a loss for the Ws because he's a big part of their culture. Another interesting note is whomever does get that 20% will be in line for a huge windfall in franchise value when they move to SF in '17.

My guess is Lacob and Guber will do everything in their power to swallow up that 20% on their own.

CBS13 just tweeted: George Maloof won't elaborate on non-cash issues preventing Maloofs from selling to Ranadivé-led group.
That makes it sound ominous. I believe that was part of a conversation where he said he expects to complete a deal with Ranadivé soon. He said they're still working out some details, not all of which are about money, but that he wouldn't further elaborate on what those other details were.

In other words, there's still some things to be ironed out, but it's not like there's anything preventing a deal right now.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I honestly didn't read all the notes as I don't know what anyone was worried about. ;) Seriously, I didn't react yesterday which seems to be different than most. Yes, I was anxious before the decision but that flood of relief didn't happen. Now, when the committee voted 7-0 a few weeks ago I broke down. My wife came home from work while I was in full blubbering mode and thought maybe she would cart me off to the hospital. It took me awhile to explain nothing was wrong. :)

Anyway, if people did not believe Sterrn had power, let there now be no doubt. I think he is the grandson of Don Corleone. There is nothing new in what I am saying but I have seen him in a very human and exasperated mode. Remember when someone shouted at him "what about the Kings" a year or so ago and he said "I'm trying. I'm trying." Now we have seen him in godfather mode. All hail David.

I hope Silver is half as good and and as I watched Silver I saw a guy very much in the Stern mode. In some ways, at this point it makes no difference as the big decision has been made.

Younger people don't understand what Stern has accomplished in 30 years. He has taken a sport that was on TV late Friday nights once a week and created this huge empire. This was his vision and he accomplished it. Listen to Vivek and you will here the same words Stern has been saying. Vivek has some of the same grandiose visions. We will see how the new ownership works out but I couldn't be happier.

Did I hear Vivek or someone in the know say that a coach was already in mind and we would be happy? Be ready for other good things folks. For those with cell phones, we ready to watch replays on your phone while you are sitting at a live game. Be ready to order food from your seat. Be ready for more. Do a little reading on the Santa Clara stadium for the Niners and you will see that this technology is already going to be added to Levi's Stadium. Expect the nerdy, geeky moon. I also expect very soon that Sacramento will be Wi Fi'd as many cities already are. I have never understood why we are behind other much smaller cities.

Yeee! Hawwww!

As a bit of a very related side note, Vivek has jumped from being a coach of his daughter's basketball team to running an NBA team. Not bad for a guy born in a cricket playing country. I really lie this guy and Friedman seems cut out of the same cloth.

BTW, I think it was George also who said he expected this to be done in 24-48 hours. The Maloofs want out. They wanted out a long time ago. The price has been driven up farther than they could have been expected. They certainly know they have come out of this well and if they want to have anything else to do with any major sport, they better sign the papers and move on. More shenanigans could kill further dreams. The same goes for any group from Seattle. They are on the cusp of losing all ability to enter the NBA.

Hey, Hansen, Vivek has part of the Warriors to sell. :) That would be nice if he and Ballmer bought that and saved Vivek a hassle but I realize the Hansen/Ballmer dream goes far beyond simply owning a portion of a team. They have made their statement, they have been vetted and now they need to show patience.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
About the idea of Hansen still wanting to own a piece of the team, I'm wondering about different scenarios.

If he just wants into the league, then Ranadivé selling Hansen his share of the Warriors is brilliant. Keeps him away from trying to weasel into the Kings and let's him into the league.

If Hansen is honest and says he only wants a piece of the Kings because he's skeptical the arena will work out and wants to be there to buy more and bring them to Seattle, then do Ranadivé and company oblige? They're already turning away investors, do they really want to squeeze more people out to make room for Hansen? Do they want the headache of him looking over their shoulder?

Would Hansen be happy with the 7%, which Sacramento didn't bid on?

Most likely they just drop Hansen completely (or give him a piece of the Warriors), but I'm curious to see if he worms his way into owning a little bit of the Kings.
The Vivek portion of the Warriors is the best option for H/B but I wonder if Vivek would sell to them. Their ultimate goal is to have a team in Seattle and that is no secret. Would Vivek put the Warriors' fans at risk? I doubt it. On the other hand, if H/B owned a third of the Warriors, it would jump start a rivalry with the Kings and I kinda like that idea.

H/B would be minority owners with limited if any power, it would actually be good for them as that is how many have broken into the league. Clay Bennett was a Spurs minority owner, Vivek obviously. I am sure there are others.

The Vivek portion of the Warriors is the best option for H/B but I wonder if Vivek would sell to them. Their ultimate goal is to have a team in Seattle and that is no secret. Would Vivek put the Warriors' fans at risk? I doubt it. On the other hand, if H/B owned a third of the Warriors, it would jump start a rivalry with the Kings and I kinda like that idea.
Hallama made a good point that the rest of the Warriors ownership group might not approve of having Hansen as a minority owner, but if that is what happened (Hansen buying Vivek's shares) it would be just so he could get into the league and there would be zero chance of it turning into the Warriors moving to Seattle. There is a chance, although it's pretty small, that Hansen just wants in without the possibility of moving the team. This makes sense if he wants to follow Ranadivé's route (and the Maloofs for that matter) of owning a small piece then buying majority or controlling interest later.

More likely, though, he would want a piece of the Kings in case the arena plan falters. I'm not sure what benefit Ranadivé has in allowing that other than enticing the Maloofs to agree to the deal already, but I guess it could happen.

Also, from @Ryan_Lillis
Mayor KJ on Ranadive/Maloof talks: 'I'd be surprised if we get past the weekend.' #NBAKings

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
More likely, though, he would want a piece of the Kings in case the arena plan falters. I'm not sure what benefit Ranadivé has in allowing that other than enticing the Maloofs to agree to the deal already, but I guess it could happen.
I think that would be the plan. A snake still in the grass, lurking and waiting to strike if there are any hiccups.

And yes, I could see Ranadive considering it as a way of bribing the Maloofs to get lost, since the Maloofs seem to have a man crush on Hansen and probably are still fantasizing of the Kings deal falling apart.

That makes it sound ominous. I believe that was part of a conversation where he said he expects to complete a deal with Ranadivé soon. He said they're still working out some details, not all of which are about money, but that he wouldn't further elaborate on what those other details were.

In other words, there's still some things to be ironed out, but it's not like there's anything preventing a deal right now.
Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler 27m

Just spoke with George Maloof, expressed confidence on #NBAKings sale, said talks with @Vivek group "going on fine"

Congrats to the city of Sacramento and to Kings fans all over. What an incredible job you guys did fighting for your team when just a few months ago it looked like a foregone conclusion that they were gone and all that was left to do was hold the press conference. As a Spurs fan I remember similar hell in the mid 80s when it looked like the team was headed to Nashville, and in 1998 when the team came pretty close to going to either New Orleans or Anaheim. Though it never got quite as dire as the Kings situation looked, prospects weren't great at the time. I can't imagine the devastation had they actually left. Just wanted to say job well done Sacramento, and especially to give a shout out to KJ for being such a strong leader for the city and the team (really awesome to see since I loved his game so much in his playing days). Love the city too (especially since it's so close to Yosemite, which is the best place I have ever found on this Earth).

Also, FTL

Last edited:
Carmichael Dave‏@CarmichaelDave1m
Multiple sources: The sale of the Sacramento Kings between Vivek Ranadivé and the Maloofs is imminent and is currently being finalized.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 2m
Multiple sources: The sale of the Sacramento Kings between Vivek Ranadivé and the Maloofs is imminent and is currently being finalized.

Guys, this is almost over! Moving much quicker than we thought it would!!

Just posted this in the other thread, didn't realise this one is for the newer updates. Fantastic news! It's moving much quicker than I'd anticipated. So excited for the future - hopefully soon we can get a new coach in place, and GM if Geoff is to be relieved of his duties.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 2m

Guys, this is almost over! Moving much quicker than we thought it would!!
Yep, I have been holding off on too much elation until the buffoons were finally cleared out. If they can legitimately get that done in Stern's 48 hour window, woot!

Wow, this is even batter than what I've expected. I've never thought this could be a quick process, but it looks like Vivek is going to be the new owner by the end of this week. Amazing! We will also be able to have a complete off season to improve the team and change FO and coach. Too good to be true! This is really a great day to be a Kings fan!

InsideHoops.com ‏@InsideHoops 5m
#Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson says sale of Kings is close.

Come on!! LETS GET THIS DONE!!
Y'know, I've started checking out the draft a little more and other changes for the team, but then my Maloof'o'larm started going off...so I'm going to chill until it's officially over for the Maloof's.

Status
Not open for further replies.