This year could be the year.

I was thinking about this current Kings team and it occured to me that if this team can work together as a team with players like Kenny Thomas and Corlis Williamson coming off of the bench, that this year could be the year the Kings win it all. Would it be an "upset", sure. However, if this young, diverse, and talented unit can play better than the sum of their parts they have a real solid shot at rings this year. Think about it. A quick passing slashing and cutting attack offence, team D, and when a player sits, a different type of player subs-in thus throwing off the other team's D. For example, you sit the offensive minded Bibby, Peja, and Miller and who is on the floor? A whole different team. Hart, Williamson, and Skinner offer greatly different skill-sets than the starters.

So here it is: I believe this squad can win it all and/or become the darlings of the NBA.

NoBonus said:
I was thinking about this current Kings team and it occured to me that if this team can work together as a team with players like Kenny Thomas and Corlis Williamson coming off of the bench, that this year could be the year the Kings win it all. Would it be an "upset", sure. However, if this young, diverse, and talented unit can play better than the sum of their parts they have a real solid shot at rings this year. Think about it. A quick passing slashing and cutting attack offence, team D, and when a player sits, a different type of player subs-in thus throwing off the other team's D. For example, you sit the offensive minded Bibby, Peja, and Miller and who is on the floor? A whole different team. Hart, Williamson, and Skinner offer greatly different skill-sets than the starters.

So here it is: I believe this squad can win it all and/or become the darlings of the NBA.
Well, I gotta admire your optimism. And I do somewhat share in your enthusiastic, glass is half full, appraisal. Nevertheless, it'd be a HUGE upset for them to win it all this year. I think a more realistic expectation is home court in the first round.... with a *chance* to make it to the WCF.

I just feel that this is a really good team and how many years and how many adjustments will need to be made to get to a championship? one? three? It may be zero.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
NoBonus said:

er...no. And not even a very close no. Hope springs eternal and all that. But hoping too hard crosses the line into delusion sometimes. I'm not even sure this team is INTENDED to be a title contender, but rather just an in between stage.

I think if we were younger, and coming off a long stretch of bad years, that we could get some attention just on the new kid on the block theory. But as it is, the all offense no defense thing is old news with us, these players are well known, and people are going to be onto us from the very beginning of the year. Nor does our new scoring attack promise to have anywhere near the unique freeflowing ballhandling/passing beauty of the last one. People hadn't seen that before, or since. The new attack is going to be a much more standard one with a bunch of guys who are shooter/scorers first, not passers. They'll all be looking for their own shot. We'll score a lot, but there will be more quick shots, more isos, less rapid ball movement.

We might win the Pacific, we might not. We might make the 2nd round, we might not. But those things are in many ways more dependant on other teams than on us, and of all the 2nd round type teams out there we would be one of the LEAST dangerouos to go all the way. As currently constructed we violate nearly every single rule of "How to Win a Championship 101" -- no superstar, no defense, questionable boardwork, haven't played together etc.

this is what i think. bonzi wells is not as selfish as cuttino mobley. shareef rahim is much better than thomas and skinner. i feel that these two guys will play and play hard. the most dangerous opponent is the one who has nothing to lose.

I just feel that this is almost a whole new team. How are they going to perform? Nobody really knows; we will find out once the season starts. But I think that this new mix of talent has created a scenario in which no one can accurately predict how great this team will be. From this cloud of prediction, I see the possibility for this team to dominate.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Well, I think this team has a 2-3 year window at the moment, so unless this team goes down quick, I think there is a 'little' room to grow for this squad.

I think that people see things as too monochromatic. I try to visualize what the players themselves think of the teams chances to succeed and I seriously doubt that Mike Bibby sits around thinking that his team can't win, or that b/c they suck so bad on defense that there is no hope.

Sure there are teams in this league that know that their situation is one of the future, but that is not ours. We are in a climate where this unit must win soon, in the next 2-4 seasons at most, if they are going to at all.

That said, I just want to see these players give it all they have. They know what happened last season. I will give them all the opprotunity to show what they can bring to the team THIS season. To me, its a fresh start for THIS Kings team and its players. And I have the utmost confidence in the organization to make the decisions necessary to insure the success of this franchise for many years to come. Some I may not agree with, but will support to the fullest.

Bibby_10 said:
Just curious what people think. Does anyone here think that the current new roster Kings could have beaten last seasons Sonics?
Kind of like comparing apples and oranges but...

On paper, we should have beaten tham last year. We were the more talented team but we didn't have any cohesion last year, plus injuries, etc. so just with the fact that this team will have a FULL season together, I'll say yes, we could have.

Bibby_10 said:
Just curious what people think. Does anyone here think that the current new roster Kings could have beaten last seasons Sonics?
I think last years roster could and should of beat the Sonics.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
Well, I think this team has a 2-3 year window at the moment, so unless this team goes down quick, I think there is a 'little' room to grow for this squad.
Which is why I hope things haven't slowed down ONE BIT over at Arco since the Bonzi and Reef moves. We are one major, or perhaps several lesser but still significant moves away from being truly dangerous and having a real shot, and we don't have years to waste here. We're not like Chicago able to wait on piles of young talent that is going to peak in 5 years. The first (and only so far) Kings contending team was constructed on the backs of one older vet about the age of the current crew (Vlade) and then a bunch of exciting YOUNG talent -- think that first year Webb was 25, Peja 21, JWill 22 etc. We had the future laying out in front of us and could afford to take years to figure it out. Fiddle with OGs, finally bring in some defense a couple of years later. Realize we needed to switch to another young PG the next season etc.

But we can't do that this time. These guys are not old. But in three years they will all be rapidly getting there. Its now or never, and there really are no seasons to waste feeling things out. If we're going to go with a solid lineup of 28-29yr olds the sooner we get it right and find a way to be ready for true contention the better. In two years our window will already be shutting. And from bitter experience we have all seen how hard it is to put together that magical season even when you finally DO have all the pieces. Would very much like to see Petrie dazzle with another big move or two before camp. To figure it out all at once rather than tiptoe around. Get the rest of the pieces we need, and then boom -- insto complete rebuild in one summer and then let's take whatever shots we are going to have with this group.

Last edited:
I think last years team could have made it to the second round round with a healthy Brad Miller. I also think that the Kings would have been the 5th seed last year if Brad didnt break his leg.

Bibby_10 said:
I don't think last year's roster should have beaten them, but the current roster probably would have had enough firepower to get past Seattle and into the second round.

uolj said:
I don't think last year's roster should have beaten them, but the current roster probably would have had enough firepower to get past Seattle and into the second round.

i know the kings team that lost to minnesota a year ago could've beaten them. probably in 6 games.

O

ONEZERO

tyrant said:
i know the kings team that lost to minnesota a year ago could've beaten them. probably in 6 games.
that team that lost to minnesota wouldve DESTROYED seattle of last year.

SactoGreg said:

i understand. we really need to do something about it. the only way we could ever make up for it is to be as good offensively as we were in 2002. our offense was so good it put teams on their heels in a hurry. we have the talent, we just need some floor leaders.

Bricklayer

tyrant said:
i understand. we really need to do something about it. the only way we could ever make up for it is to be as good offensively as we were in 2002. our offense was so good it put teams on their heels in a hurry. we have the talent, we just need some floor leaders.
However, the real difference in those peak years is that we also jumped up as a Top 10 defensive team. We had a complete game.

A

AriesMar27

i dont think that this team is going all the way.... unless peja does something incredible in the playoffs.... and no one gets injured.....

NoBonus said:

I appreciate your positive outlook. I'm so tired of all the people who cannot seem to say something positive ever. so and so is too small, slow, selfish, lazy, whatever. Sure we all want to see sacramento bring home a championship, but criticism isn't going to bring that about any faster. Optimism won't either, but I think it's easier to be a fan when you aren't complaining all the time. Love your team for who they are and if you don't, find another team.

Last edited:
O

ONEZERO

SDKing said:
I appreciate your positive outlook. I'm so tired of all the people who cannot seem to say something positive ever. so and so is too small, slow, selfish, lazy, whatever. Sure we all want to see sacramento bring home a championship, but criticism isn't going to bring that about any faster. Optimism won't either, but I think it's easier to be a fan when you aren't complaining all the time. Love your team for who they are and if you don't, find another team.
i'll drink to that:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SDKing said:
There's room for the very positive and the very critical. It's not like we're sitting down with the players and criticizing them. We're discussing their strengths and weaknesses - sometimes ad nauseum - because that's what message boards are all about.

There are all types of fans. And sometimes there's a big difference in a single fan - depending on what has happened recently. I can speak to that from personal experience. ;)

"Love your team for who they are and if you don't, find another team" may work for you. It won't work for a message board. If everyone is all happy and content all the time, then people have nothing to talk about. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...and then stuffed it in the back of the drawer and forgot about it.

:D

It takes all kinds to make a world...and a successful message board.

I totally think we have the tools to win it all. Whether they come together, and play decent team defense is yet to be seen. But we will soon find out!

N

Netguy115

ONEZERO said:
that team that lost to minnesota wouldve DESTROYED seattle of last year.
Agreed. In my mind Sacramento really didn't lose that series. They won game 1 on the road, were up 10 game 2 on the road with FOUR MINUTES LEFT and the damn Twolves come rushing back. Then they lost the best game I have ever watched (the one were the kings came back from 15 down with 3 or 5 minutes left to send it to OT) in OT on KG's look-at-the-other-shot-clock-turnaround-jumper. Then evened it back up at 3-3 and lost by 3 in Minni off a missed 3 pointer by Webb (which he faked perfectly, set himself perfectly, released perfectly...and still missed). All this with Webber ruining the team chemistry, no Bobby Jackson, and no Peeler for the last game.

That was also that last Kings team of the "last generation." Still, I still can't admit that they lost that series. I mean...so SO many things went wrong, and the Twolves wound up only winning by 3 in Game 7 at their home. That is just amazing. And the funny thing is, thats only the SECOND unluckiest series in the Kings' past 5 playoffs. And lets please not bring up the first.