This year could be the year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
D-Mass said:
Yeah...congrats on that, by the way. That's pretty impressive.

I didn't mean to imply that we don't have good conversations. They're great...that's why I keep coming back! I was just responding to general comments about pessimism. I admittedly can get that way sometimes, but it doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan. As much as I think this team will struggle in some areas, I can't wait for the season to begin!

GO KINGS!
I understand completely. The pessimism/optimism struggle, however, is perpetual. While I agree that sometimes people tend to shift focus a bit, and make it more about the poster instead of the post, for the most part I can honestly say I have never been on a message board with as much in-depth analysis and debate as this one, even when people are diametrically opposed.

And I'm in total agreement on one thing: I can't wait for the season to begin, either!

GO KINGS!!!

O

ONEZERO

VF21 said:
The forum itself is quite old. This incarnation of it has been around since 09-03-04, after a catastrophic server problem.

And just so you know? Before it crashed, I had over 23,000 posts.

:D

And EVERY one of them was a gem, a jewel beyond compare, a piece of wisdom the world will someday rue losing.

Its funny cause I've known about the crash for a while, but it never occured to me why so many people have join dates of "sep 04". What an idiot I am. Hahaha.

VF21 said:
And I'm in total agreement on one thing: I can't wait for the season to begin, either!

GO KINGS!!!

hehem....*loosens tie* excuse me mrs, i've only been here since December but...does everyone not always agree with this statement every summer?

:D

I second the statement.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
nbrans said:
You act like you have a formula for everything, but the fact is you (and I) have no more idea than anyone else what is going to happen in any given year, nor do you (and I) have any more idea than anyone else about what makes a championship team. Hindsight is really tremendous. But history does not necessarily predict the future. History would not have predicted the 2004 Pistons or the 1995 Rockets.

And to call the Showtime Lakers one of the better defensive teams of their era is a tad extreme. Yeah, they were consistently a top 5-10 defending team in a given year, but that doesn't exactly make them elite. And it might surprise YOU to know that the Lakers won their championships in 1987 and 1988 without a single player averaging more than 9 rebounds a game. Not exactly following your championship formula. These Lakers won because they overwhelmed teams offensively. Yes, it can be done.
And there you go again doing the most annoying thing you do -- intentionally distorting a fact to try to win an argument. And that's me giving you credit for not simply overlooking things time and agian. So I'm going to assume you know as well as I do that those two Lakers teams beat opponents on the glass night after night -- +2.3 and +1.7 on the boards respectively. Your "nobody averaged over 9" is a made up boondoggle. They were one of the better defensive teams, one of the beter rebounding teams, had 2 (or 3 depending on how you thought of Worthy) superstars, killed teams inside with multiple post options, had far and away the most experience of any team outside of Boston...geee, nope how odd they won. Their offense was one of the best of all time, and what did that mean for them? It meant that they could be Top 8 in defense and win the title instead of having to be Top 3. It did not give them the option of ever being bad defensively and scoring their way to a title.

Houston, BTW, were the favorites to win the title going into the '95 season -- in case you had forgotten they were only the defending champs. Their regular season was ruined by injuries, but they were also the proverbial team nobody wanted to play come playoff time, equipped as they were by the end of the season player with two HOFs and the greatest interior player of his era (which was full of great ones). They broke one rule -- they never could find enough rebounders to surround Hakeem with, but cinderella or not, the only surprise was that they weren't better during the regular season. And that was only a surprise if you ignored how things went for them that year.

2004 Pistons violated one rule too -- they did not have a superstar. Much has been made of that. Its cute, and good for them. However let's see how much more PERFECTLY could they fit everything else on the list? Tough, rugged defensive team, been together for years (with the exception of Sheed obviously), win the battle of the boards, win the battle inside. In a down year with teams injured and imploding all around them, they managed to get by without one of the championship markers. But only one.

And these are absolutely the best the NBA has to offer for "exceptions". Teams that lack maybe one championship trait. Tough teams. Experienced teams. Teams with great interior presence.

And you know what, while it seems it may have come as a shock to you, evryone else in the league knew that it was going to come down to Indiana, Detroit, Miami, San Antonio last year. Indiana was scuttled by the brawl, but the rest were absolutely no surprise at all. Except maybe to you, I don't know. And how did we do it? How did we do the impossible and actually know which teams were going to be serious contenders? How is that possible??? Go find my little checklist above. Study it. Memorize it. And amazingly you too may be able to do the impossible.

Arguing our team is going to adopt all those championship traits next year seems a real stretch given our history and the players involved. But arguing that they do not NEED to is just wishful thinking.

Here, I will make a prediction for you: given our offense, if the Kings can somehow become a Top 10 rebounding AND Top 10 defensive team by the end of the next year, we will at least get ourselves into the conversation. We will still be lacking a star to lead us, experience together as a unit, and will likely go down. But we would at least be in the conversation.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
And there you go again doing the most annoying thing you do -- intentionally distorting a fact to try to win an argument. And that's me giving you credit for not simply overlooking things time and agian. So I'm going to assume you know as well as I do that those two Lakers teams beat opponents on the glass night after night -- +2.3 and +1.7 on the boards respectively. Your "nobody averaged over 9" is a made up boondoggle. They were one of the better defensive teams, one of the beter rebounding teams, had 2 (or 3 depending on how you thought of Worthy) superstars, killed teams inside with multiple post options, had far and away the most experience of any team outside of Boston...geee, nope how odd they won. Their offense was one of the best of all time, and what did that mean for them? It meant that they could be Top 8 in defense and win the title instead of having to be Top 3. It did not give them the option of ever being bad defensively and scoring their way to a title.

Houston, BTW, were the favorites to win the title going into the '95 season -- in case you had forgotten they were only the defending champs. Their regular season was ruined by injuries, but they were also the proverbial team nobody wanted to play come playoff time, equipped as they were by the end of the season player with two HOFs and the greatest interior player of his era (which was full of great ones). They broke one rule -- they never could find enough rebounders to surround Hakeem with, but cinderella or not, the only surprise was that they weren't better during the regular season. And that was only a surprise if you ignored how things went for them that year.

2004 Pistons violated one rule too -- they did not have a superstar. Much has been made of that. Its cute, and good for them. However let's see how much more PERFECTLY could they fit everything else on the list? Tough, rugged defensive team, been together for years (with the exception of Sheed obviously), win the battle of the boards, win the battle inside. In a down year with teams injured and imploding all around them, they managed to get by without one of the championship markers. But only one.

And these are absolutely the best the NBA has to offer for "exceptions". Teams that lack maybe one championship trait. Tough teams. Experienced teams. Teams with great interior presence.

And you know what, while it seems it may have come as a shock to you, evryone else in the league knew that it was going to come down to Indiana, Detroit, Miami, San Antonio last year. Indiana was scuttled by the brawl, but the rest were absolutely no surprise at all. Except maybe to you, I don't know. And how did we do it? How did we do the impossible and actually know which teams were going to be serious contenders? How is that possible??? Go find my little checklist above. Study it. Memorize it. And amazingly you too may be able to do the impossible.

Arguing our team is going to adopt all those championship traits next year seems a real stretch given our history and the players involved. But arguing that they do not NEED to is just wishful thinking.

Here, I will make a prediction for you: given our offense, if the Kings can somehow become a Top 10 rebounding AND Top 10 defensive team by the end of the next year, we will at least get ourselves into the conversation. We will still be lacking a star to lead us, experience together as a unit, and will likely go down. But we would at least be in the conversation.
What's funny about you saying that I distort your arguments is that you do the same to mine, only with a much more condescending tone.

Yeah, the Lakers had a + rebound differential, but +2 does not make them an elite rebounding team, just a slightly above average one. The good rebounding teams in the league are over +3 or even +4. Detroit, for instance, was +3.8 this year. The Lakers rebounded WELL ENOUGH to win a championship, but my point is that they won by playing to their best strength, which was their offensive firepower.

Same with their defense. Magic, Byron Scott, Kareem... those guys weren't exactly known for their defense. They at least had AC Green and Rambis to bang, but they weren't that good of a defensive team, certainly not one of the best. Their 1988 team was ranked 11th in the league in defense. Squarely in the middle. Their offense was so great that they only needed to play defense WELL ENOUGH.

I don't actually think we disagree all that much, my basic point is that teams don't win championships through defense and rebounding alone. They just have to do those things WELL ENOUGH to win. They're components of the game of basketball, just like offense. And the formula is different with every team. A great offensive team simply does not have to play Detroit Pistons-level defense in order to win championships. Nor do they have to be monsters on the boards.

So do the Kings need to play top 10 defense to win the championship? Probably! Couldn't hurt. Do they need to board? Absolutely. Can they win without being a top 10 team and a top 10 rebounding team? Who knows!

Everyone else in the league KNEW it was going to be Indiana, Miami, Detroit and San Antonio, eh? I suppose these same people KNEW that Joe Johnson was going to break his face? They KNEW that Detroit was going to squeak past Miami and take San Antonio to Game 7? You might want to reexamine your delusions of infallibility. No one knows what's going to happen, not even you (or me).

Just wanted to sneak into the argument a little bit.

One thing I wanted to mention was that the WORST defensive teams to ever win the title were actually the 2001 Lakers who were ranked 19th in defensive efficiency that year. But of course they had their injuries during the regular season, and overwhelmed the entire league in the playoffs with their experience and dynamic duo.

After that the 1980, 1982 Lakers were ranked 9th in defensive efficiency, and the 1988 Lakers were ranked 11th. These teams were all pretty good on defense, and despite not being quite elite on that end, had the experience and enough overall balance on offense to overcome the fact they were not dominant on D.

And it seems the 1995 Rockets were ranked 12th in defensive efficiency, but I have a feeling that Clyde being their a full season would have improved their offensive to Top 3, while also moving up their defense a little bit (would have given Hakeem some breathing room to orchestrate a better defense via having a more balanced offense).

What this means is, if you are not going to be an elite defensive team, you better at least have experience, and a pretty elite core offensively with one superstar leading the way. It does seem funny that all the worst defensive teams were mostly Laker teams, but even they had an elite offensive core led by a superstar in Magic, and even they were near elite on D in 1986-87. I know they are considered GREAT champs by many people, but of the Showtime Lakers I would say the 86-87 team they had was GREAT, and the others were just very good. But the team definetly had the chemistry and balance to overcome their lack of defensive dominance. In other words, they had enough defense to accompany their perenial offensive juggernut.

this is all a moo point. no matter how wonderful your team shapes up to the basic traits of champions, you can't factor in luck/injuries.

so i say keep our squad, cheer for them, and lets hope a meteor drops on the all-star game next year. :D

Good stuff from yesterday. I pretty much agree with brick 99.5%.

One mans pessimist is another mans realist;)

Theres alot of pessimists and optimists on this board. Some are more pessimistic or optimistic then others and make this a great board. I tend to be pessimistic but I know when I start getting optimistic about the team the team stinks(Like last year). Time tested and true;). Im in a really pessimistic mood about this team. Mainly because Im not a fan of Wells mostly but also SAR. As the season comes around Ill decide to give then a second chance(Ill Try:p ). Im hoping GP has more moves instore but from what he has said so far it looks likes this is the squad we are going with.

No way is this squad a title contender. all the happy dust in the world wont make that happen. There are alot of time tested truths about the game. "Offenses win games but defenses win Champioships" is one. We are offensively built just like GP likes. Add in that we have no superstars elite players are chances as of now of winning the Obrien trophy are slim and none and slim is on his way to Timbuktu.

slugking50 said:
Add in that we have no superstars elite players are chances as of now of winning the Obrien trophy are slim and none and slim is on his way to Timbuktu.
S£im Citrus is going to Timbuktu???

Let's see here...

Some people say the Kings have little or no chance to win the title.

Some say "you never know".

Seems to me one can agree with both of these views and not be labeled as a pessimist or an optimist...

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Or you can all be like me and go from pit of depression pessimist to Lil' Orphan Annie singing "Tomorrow" optimist...

Sometimes within the course of a few weeks and sometimes even within the course of a paragraph or two within the same post.

Bottom line, however, is still the same...

Yes, you old-timer know exactly what I'm going to say, don't you?

Feel free to chant it with me, loudly and with vigor!

Don't hold back. Give it all you've got!

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!!!

T

thesanityannex

Nikos said:
Just wanted to sneak into the argument a little bit.

One thing I wanted to mention was that the WORST defensive teams to ever win the title were actually the 2001 Lakers who were ranked 19th in defensive efficiency that year. But of course they had their injuries during the regular season, and overwhelmed the entire league in the playoffs with their experience and dynamic duo.
I was going to bring that up as well. They sucked on D that year and still brought home a ring.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
thesanityannex said:
I was going to bring that up as well. They sucked on D that year and still brought home a ring.
They sucked that year on D...but were still a good defensive team when a) they got healthy; and b) they resumed caring. And as soon as those two things came together they tore up the league. It was an asinine "turn it on and off" stunt they pulled, but for one year at least they played with fire and it worked. By the time the playoffs rolled around they were CRUSHING thier opponents defensively and held teams during their 16 playoff games to 90.6ppg on .408 shooting. :eek:

thesanityannex said:
Correction: The sucked all year "during the regular season".

When the post-season rolled around, that team turned on the defense, enough to stop every team in their way. And I remember many of those incidents happening in the 4th quarter of playoff games.

That's what Championship teams do. They turn it up in the playoffs, something the Kings haven't demonstrated in years...

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:
Or you can all be like me and go from pit of depression pessimist to Lil' Orphan Annie singing "Tomorrow" optimist...

Sometimes within the course of a few weeks and sometimes even within the course of a paragraph or two within the same post.
I take medication for my bi-polar condition. ;)

This has been another exceptional series of discussions by some very knowledgeable basketball fans.

I am on the side of...defense is needed to win championships. (Note: check out the Monarchs play. They lead or are in 2nd place in most defensive categories. Could be why they clinched 1st place in the West with still 4 regular season games to play.) I refuse to predict, however, just how the Kings will play. They need some playing time together before we will really know anything for sure. I do know one thing though. Like VF21 (and others)...

keep going...

yep, you are about there...

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!

T

thesanityannex

SactoGreg said:
Correction: The sucked all year "during the regular season".

When the post-season rolled around, that team turned on the defense, enough to stop every team in their way. And I remember many of those incidents happening in the 4th quarter of playoff games.

That's what Championship teams do. They turn it up in the playoffs, something the Kings haven't demonstrated in years...
did you happen to miss the quote above you???^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VF21 said:

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!!!
:D Youe expressed so well, exactly how I feel. Perfect. I go up and down just reading the posts everyday. There is a side of me that understands all the reasons we are not a real contender, but there is a fan side of me that hopes I'm proven wrong. It could happen, no matter how unlikely..

Last edited:
T

thesanityannex

To me, to be called a contender, the team only has to be one that other teams wouldn't want to face in the finals......................its a stretch, but the kings might fit that category................

The weird thing about that 0001 Laker team aside from their injuries to role players was the fact that Shaq and Kobe weren't heavily injured in comparison to their other championship years. I find it hard to beleive Fisher was the difference between them playing excellent D and below par D. I guess they just peaked at the right time, and really intimidated all the teams they played.

But if you go by the playoff numbers, it is almost like they are the best team of all time (yes even better than the Bulls). But I think those teams they played especially the Spurs crumbled when they had injuries to their support players. Drob was an enigma that year, he played horrible against Shaq and in that series (when it counted). Derek Anderson was useless after that Juwon Howard incident, and that made the Spurs offense even staler than it was at the time. Honestly I don't think the 76ers were even nearly as good as a healthy 2001 Spurs, but yet they at least were close in many of the games. The Kings were one year away from being a real competetor despite that being Webb's best year.

You guys notice that the minimum level exp in our starting lineup is 7 years now?

Bibby going into 8th year
Wells going into 8th year
Peja going into 8th year
SAR going into 10th year
Miller going into 8th year

At least they all have experience :D BOY how time flies. Seems as we all get older time goes by too quickly :(

slugking50 said:
One mans pessimist is another mans realist;)

Theres alot of pessimists and optimists on this board. Some are more pessimistic or optimistic then others and make this a great board.
This reminds me of my optimist/pessimist/realist breakdown. :D A couple years ago people complained about too much optimism on this board, when I felt it was just positive realism. Now, there's been some complaining about pessimism here, when I think it is just negative realism (or maybe neutral realism with the positive side assumed and the negative side expressed). So here's the current breakdown as I see it. There's nothing wrong with any of them in my opinion:

Optimist: The Kings are one of the top 5 teams in the league with this lineup and have a good chance at the championship this year.

Pessimist: The Kings will not come together very well and won't even make the playoffs with their lack of defense and rebounding.

Positive Realist: The Kings don't have the tools for a championship, but they'll win over 50 games and can make some noise in the playoffs. Plus they're only a few changes away from true contending status.

Negative Realist: The Kings are good enough to win 50 games and win some playoff games, but they sure aren't going to contend for a championship this year and history says it's not likely that Petrie and the Maloofs will make the changes necessary to get them there.

T

thesanityannex

uolj said:
This reminds me of my optimist/pessimist/realist breakdown. :D A couple years ago people complained about too much optimism on this board, when I felt it was just positive realism. Now, there's been some complaining about pessimism here, when I think it is just negative realism (or maybe neutral realism with the positive side assumed and the negative side expressed). So here's the current breakdown as I see it. There's nothing wrong with any of them in my opinion:

Optimist: The Kings are one of the top 5 teams in the league with this lineup and have a good chance at the championship this year.

Pessimist: The Kings will not come together very well and won't even make the playoffs with their lack of defense and rebounding.

Positive Realist: The Kings don't have the tools for a championship, but they'll win over 50 games and can make some noise in the playoffs. Plus they're only a few changes away from true contending status.

Negative Realist: The Kings are good enough to win 50 games and win some playoff games, but they sure aren't going to contend for a championship this year and history says it's not likely that Petrie and the Maloofs will make the changes necessary to get them there.
You forgot the Blind Optimist: The Kings will win it all, even with the given injuries they will incur.