There is no topic

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Apropos of nothing, you know you've been around a long ****ing time when there have been people posting on this board for a decade, and you can vividly remember people who left the board before they ever even got here; there are people who have been here for 9+ years, who probably don't even know that we used to have a chat room.
To that point...WHAT chat room?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Oh yeah, we used to have a chat room that mainly got used during games. @Variant hosted the server. @arwen undomiel was a regular, as well as @6th, @Prophetess, @The Freak, @slugking50, @VF21 and myself. We even played trivia, sometimes; had a script for it, and everything. That was my preferred method of game time discussion. In fact, there was a point when my sole contribution to the [Game] threads used to be:

:: pimps chat and leaves ::
There were never as many people in the chat room as in the [Game] threads, but it wasn't uncommon for there to be as many as six of us in there, any given game, and sometimes as many as a dozen or so. And it was always lively. The chat room was actually the birthplace of VF's signature "I LOVE THIS TEAM!" catchphrase. In fact, we used to do it with her, all synchronized, like the YMCA dance during timeouts.

EDIT - I can't believe that Freak is a grown woman; she was a literal child when she started posting here! :eek:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, we used to have a chat room that mainly got used during games. @Variant hosted the server. @arwen undomiel was a regular, as well as @6th, @Prophetess, @The Freak, @slugking50, @VF21 and myself. We even played trivia, sometimes; had a script for it, and everything. That was my preferred method of game time discussion. In fact, there was a point when my sole contribution to the [Game] threads used to be:

There were never as many people in the chat room as in the [Game] threads, but it wasn't uncommon for there to be as many as six of us in there, any given game, and sometimes as many as a dozen or so. And it was always lively. The chat room was actually the birthplace of VF's signature "I LOVE THIS TEAM!" catchphrase. In fact, we used to do it with her, all synchronized, like the YMCA dance during timeouts.

EDIT - I can't believe that Freak is a grown woman; she was a literal child when she started posting here! :eek:
My, how time flies. In my case the "OG" Slim mentioned stands for Old Gurl.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm listening to today's episode of Bomani Jones' podcast, and they're drawing a comparison between the TV show Family Matters and the NBA, and I'm thinking to myself, "I don't have enough people in my life whom I could have a conversation like this, that would actually understand both sides of the comparison."

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
A trip down the internet rabbit hole led me to the wikipedia entry for Bette Nesmith Graham, mother of Michael Nesmith of The Monkees, and the inventor of Liquid Paper, aka White Out. She sold to Gillette in 1979 for just under $48M USD, which would be something like $175M in today's money. Bette has since passed (as has Michael, for that matter), but White Out has become all but obsolete: I can't imagine that it still pulls in more than five digits annually in sales. Which led me to wonder, how many people do you reckon are still alive who got rich by selling something that no longer makes money? Like, what's it gotta be like to be the grandchildren of whoever invented 8-track tapes, and you can't even brag to your friends about it, because all your friends are like, "Dude, WTF is an 8-track tape?"

A trip down the internet rabbit hole led me to the wikipedia entry for Bette Nesmith Graham, mother of Michael Nesmith of The Monkees, and the inventor of Liquid Paper, aka White Out. She sold to Gillette in 1979 for just under $48M USD, which would be something like $175M in today's money. Bette has since passed (as has Michael, for that matter), but White Out has become all but obsolete: I can't imagine that it still pulls in more than five digits annually in sales. Which led me to wonder, how many people do you reckon are still alive who got rich by selling something that no longer makes money? Like, what's it gotta be like to be the grandchildren of whoever invented 8-track tapes, and you can't even brag to your friends about it, because all your friends are like, "Dude, WTF is an 8-track tape?"
how about the yo yo?

Been playing around with Stable Diffusion (as well as other AIs - had ChatGPT write really stupid songs for me and also assigned it my son's last english assignment to compare). Pretty fun stuff.
Do these look like anyone we'd know?
image_2022-12-15_214139369.png
image_2022-12-15_214208695.png
image_2022-12-15_214232521.png

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Been playing around with Stable Diffusion (as well as other AIs - had ChatGPT write really stupid songs for me and also assigned it my son's last english assignment to compare). Pretty fun stuff.
Do these look like anyone we'd know?
Fox and Huerter are pretty obvious, but I don't really get a Sabonis vibe out of the bottom one. Really more of a Steven Adams.

Fox and Huerter are pretty obvious, but I don't really get a Sabonis vibe out of the bottom one. Really more of a Steven Adams.
Yeah that's definitely part of the experimentation process, it's fun but can be frustrating when you get something cool but off. Ethical issues of AI art aside, when just using it for giggles and not paying someone for the privilege it's a blast.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Yeah that's definitely part of the experimentation process, it's fun but can be frustrating when you get something cool but off. Ethical issues of AI art aside, when just using it for giggles and not paying someone for the privilege it's a blast.
Stable Diffusion I haven't played with yet, but I've done a bit with Dall-e and MidJourney.

I suppose I'm not quite sure what you mean by ethical issues as regards art, unless you mean the potential to simulate false evidence of a crime, for instance, indistinguishable from a real photo/video of Mr. X at the scene of the crime killing Mr. Y or whatever. Other than that, art is art, and I don't think it particularly matters that a computer has made an objectionable picture of Ms. Z in various states of undress when a talented pen-and-pencil or canvas-and-brush artist could have made the same thing had they chosen.

As for the price - the introductory "free" is nice, but I could potentially get hooked when prices are in the range of 10 cents a pop. Sure it may be frustrating when the system pushes out some duds, but as somebody who can't draw the right number of legs on a stick figure, this sort of thing is really my only chance to ever actually make visual art. Could end up being fun.

Stable Diffusion I haven't played with yet, but I've done a bit with Dall-e and MidJourney.

I suppose I'm not quite sure what you mean by ethical issues as regards art, unless you mean the potential to simulate false evidence of a crime, for instance, indistinguishable from a real photo/video of Mr. X at the scene of the crime killing Mr. Y or whatever. Other than that, art is art, and I don't think it particularly matters that a computer has made an objectionable picture of Ms. Z in various states of undress when a talented pen-and-pencil or canvas-and-brush artist could have made the same thing had they chosen.

As for the price - the introductory "free" is nice, but I could potentially get hooked when prices are in the range of 10 cents a pop. Sure it may be frustrating when the system pushes out some duds, but as somebody who can't draw the right number of legs on a stick figure, this sort of thing is really my only chance to ever actually make visual art. Could end up being fun.
A lot of working artists are upset that AI could be stealing their gigs. And I guess those that don't understand the tech just think it is ripping them off entirely the way old hip hop sometimes sampled without clearance/paying royalties. I don't know. I understand but it also feels like the genie is out of the bottle, adapt. I've been using AI to mix/master my music products for a few years now.

TIL...(Accidentally) stabbing yourself with a knife is no fun. Thankfully, it was just my left hand. And, thankfully, my brother is an ER physician and was able to stop by on his way home from work and stitched my cut/wound up for me.

Because I know someone out there will ask...I was cutting an avocado for lunch, and couldn't get the dang seed to come out. I stabbed it with the knife, thinking that it will come out easily. Yeah...obviously didn't work...:mad::mad::mad:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
TIL...(Accidentally) stabbing yourself with a knife is no fun. Thankfully, it was just my left hand. And, thankfully, my brother is an ER physician and was able to stop by on his way home from work and stitched my cut/wound up for me.

Because I know someone out there will ask...I was cutting an avocado for lunch, and couldn't get the dang seed to come out. I stabbed it with the knife, thinking that it will come out easily. Yeah...obviously didn't work...:mad::mad::mad:
I see what happened here. Your mistake was eating an avocado. That stuff ain't food.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

My job in college involved me routinely having to make several five gallon tubs of guacamole a day. I feel your pain lol

was the avocado ripe enough? usually if it isn't, the seed is harder to remove