There is no topic

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I am currently listening to a podcast where they are discussing how things were in 1986, and now I have a #twoamericas question: When you read the words "Slippery When Wet," which do you think of first? Bon Jovi, Or The Commodores?
Bon Jovi. No idea on the Commodores connection to that title.

I was aware of the Commodores but wasn't familiar with that song (was already out of college when it came out).

I found the music industry hype for Bon Jovi to be infuriating -- 'He's just like Springsteen because he's from New Jersey! And he's pop-friendly because he focuses on the fun (meaning no serious issues)!' Another example of the hype machine rolling over far more accomplished musicians.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Thank GOODNESS for Daylight Saving Time. My crops need rotating something FIERCE, and I was not making good use of my daylight hours whatsoever. I get so lazy during the four long months of Standard Time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Grandiloquent word of the day:

Doryphore [DOR-uh-for]
(n.)
-One who draws attention to the minor errors made by others, esp. in a pestering manner; a pedantic gadfly.
-One who gains pleasure from pointing out minor errors; a nitpicker.
-A pedantic and annoyingly persistent critic.

From French “doryphore” - Colorado beetle, a potato pest, from Greek “doruphoros” - spear carrier. Word was coined by introduced by Sir Harold Nicolson. Earliest documented use: 1952.

1553282517843.png

Apparently I did such a good job hiding the surprise crossover in my piece called "Numbers" that not very many people read it. Really ... everyone who gets the reference thinks it's an interesting story. So I'll try one of those Hollywood-style subtle-as-a-freight-train hints.

It's set during my college days. Amittedly, studying math at Princeton isn't the most exciting subject in the world. It's relevant, though, because the second part is about one of my math professors, who turned up in the movies 30 years later disguised as Russell Crowe. o_O

It's in the Lounge, or here: Numbers

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I just did a search for George Benson on Spotify, and "Give Me the Night" was not one of the Top 5 most popular George Benson songs; it clocked in at #8, IIRC. And now I'm trying to figure out how that's even possible? How can there be that many people who think that there are seven George Benson songs better than "Give Me the Night"?