There is no topic

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Up here in the forest it was something I will quite honestly never forget. I have a friend who has a home on the side of a mountain overlooking the Sacramento Valley and he kept calling to tell me how incredible it was to sit and watch the lightning strikes. When the storm hit up here, it completely and totally lit up the forest. The lightning strikes were almost nonstop. I'm just hoping the heavy rain was enough to prevent a lot of spot fires...

I know in one news report last night, they said they measured almost 1,500 strikes in one hour. This was over a fairly concentrated area. That's about 25 strikes a minute. :eek:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Time for another BBQ

My wife is a kindergarten teacher and she has had some awesome parents helping out in the classroom this year. To thank them, she invited them all over for a BBQ this afternooon - I think we are expecting on the order of 25 people.

To entice them, I have 4 large tri tips cut up into steaks (Burgundy Pepper marinade, Garlic Wine marinade, Sweet Rub, and Ol' Western BBQ rub), hot links and pork sausages, chicken (Bob's Mojo and Pappa Bubba's BBQ marinades), and a buffalo steak thrown in for good measure. If anyone goes away from here hungry today, it's their own darn fault. :D Grilling commences soon! They are all providing the side dishes, so it should be interesting to see what we end up with on our plates!

My wife is a kindergarten teacher and she has had some awesome parents helping out in the classroom this year. To thank them, she invited them all over for a BBQ this afternooon - I think we are expecting on the order of 25 people.

To entice them, I have 4 large tri tips cut up into steaks (Burgundy Pepper marinade, Garlic Wine marinade, Sweet Rub, and Ol' Western BBQ rub), hot links and pork sausages, chicken (Bob's Mojo and Pappa Bubba's BBQ marinades), and a buffalo steak thrown in for good measure. If anyone goes away from here hungry today, it's their own darn fault. :D Grilling commences soon! They are all providing the side dishes, so it should be interesting to see what we end up with on our plates!
*Drool*

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I made it a few months shy of 35 without ever breaking a bone. Well yesterday, I dislocated and fractured my shoulder. Hurt like hell especailly since it took almost 5 hours to get reset, they knocked me out twice and the first attempt failed because the fracture was blocking the socket. Apparently I was this close to surgery. At the field where it happened I was begging to have someone pop it back in but I guess I am glad I went to the ER.

I feel ok now but am going stir crazy sitting around the house and the doctors advised me to take a week off. In the old days that means I'd take a sick holiday for a day or two and then go back to work when I got bored but my boss is pretty much insisting I take the full week and then some. My wife won't even let me watch TJ alone. I think I will lose it by Thursday at this rate.

Just needed to vent :)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I made it a few months shy of 35 without ever breaking a bone. Well yesterday, I dislocated and fractured my shoulder. Hurt like hell especailly since it took almost 5 hours to get reset, they knocked me out twice and the first attempt failed because the fracture was blocking the socket. Apparently I was this close to surgery. At the field where it happened I was begging to have someone pop it back in but I guess I am glad I went to the ER.

I feel ok now but am going stir crazy sitting around the house and the doctors advised me to take a week off. In the old days that means I'd take a sick holiday for a day or two and then go back to work when I got bored but my boss is pretty much insisting I take the full week and then some. My wife won't even let me watch TJ alone. I think I will lose it by Thursday at this rate.

Whew!! Glad it is feeling better. Now, TAKE THE TIME TO HEAL!! You can then vent here as often as you'd like. :)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985

Another BBQ where I am not invited? Shame! Shame! Shame!!! :p

p.s. It's not to late to get back into my good graces by sending a care package. :D

Warhawk

Staff member
Another BBQ where I am not invited? Shame! Shame! Shame!!! :p

p.s. It's not to late to get back into my good graces by sending a care package. :D
This is a special-purpose BBQ - friends and family are not coming either. ;)

Were you at the game Saturday? I looked for you but Steph and I couldn't find you.....

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
This is a special-purpose BBQ - friends and family are not coming either. ;)

Were you at the game Saturday? I looked for you but Steph and I couldn't find you.....

You bet. I was in my new season seat, but I don't like it, and have been told I can change to something more comfortable for my bad knee. I'll PM you when I know where it will be.

Warhawk

Staff member

Sorry to hear it. Take it easy - order extra movies from Blockbuster/Netflix and catch up on all those films you've been meaning to see! Or, better yet, soo those films that are part of a series in order!

I had a minor outpatient surgery a while back and was away from work for 3 days - took the opportunity to watch Lord of the Rings trilogy in order. Next time maybe the Star Wars movies (all six of them!), Matrix trilogy, Alien films, Godfather films, Star Trek movies, the list goes on! ;)

pdxKingsFans: So sorry to hear about the fracture and dislocation. OUCH! :eek: It took you till almost 35, but sounds like you did a bang-up job when you did it. ;) You want to give it time to heal properly, tho. There must be some things you wish you had time for that you could do now. I wish you a speedy, but good recovery.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So I'm out of commission for 6 weeks now. Can't even ride my bike which is my primary means of commuting in fair weather. Feeling a bit depressed about it.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
OMG! What a complete sleazeball. I cannot even make the comments here that I would like to make. But, I am that pissed. However, BRAVO to A's fans for not touching this BS. I may be a Giants fan, but I applaud the A's fans. Now that makes me feel better.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've missed Rick Reilly's writing since he left SI. I'm glad to see he's still standing up against stupidity whenever he gets the chance.

I like the staff at the hospital in labor and delivery, but not enough that I want to visit them again before August. Baby's great, I'm fine but apparently need more water daily.