The wait continues and other news, rumors, etc.

or hansen laid the smackdown after seeing that.
Which leads us back to the statement that the Maloofs are out. I'm going to apply logic to the Maloofs situation, and I know that's a tricky thing to do. But there really is no incentive for the Maloofs to drag this out. They will get paid either way. If the fastest way to get paid would be to back out of the Hansen deal and take the Sac groups money, I think they'd do it at this point. But based on George's quote being retracted by a spokesman, I get the feeling that Hansen's team is pulling all the strings at this time.

But the Schultz sale wasn't the same since he chose to sell to Bennett over Ellison, Schultz was the owner. The scenario here is that the Maloofs are the owners, they chose the sale, and the NBA is rejecting it. The two situations aren't the same.

I agree too that the delay has nothing to do with the Maloofs. Again I'll say I think the league is exploring expansion, and someone can come back with a tweet from someone who says they're in the know, but actually don't know anything. I've been following this whole thing from Seattle's end basically since the team was sold in 2006, and I honestly thinking back on this whole saga, I think the NBA has kind of been orchestrating a lot of this in order to get two new arenas done in two politically difficult NBA cities. Both our cities have had problems building an arena for a long, long time now, so it seems to me that expansion is the logical conclusion to a decade long battle for Stern. One thing is for certain, Hurricane Katrina screwed it up for everyone, cause I doubt the league would have ever allowed the Sonics to go to Oklahoma had that market not been thoroughly tested.

I'll never quite understand Stern's insistance to keep an NBA team in New Orleans, even when they had Chris Paul and were in the playoffs, you'd see that arena half empty. Now that is a city which is undeserving of professional basketball.
Amen! It blows me away that when Seattle names the villains, they rarely mention George Shinn. His selfishness and stubborness forced the league to look for a different franchise for OKC and unfortunately for you, it turned to be the Sonics.

What's worse is that they had a 2nd chance to make things right and blew it again. They should've held on to the Hornets until the Seattle/Sacramento situation was done. If Sac gets it's act together then you promise to sell the Hornets to Hansen.

If Sac blows it, doesn't get an arena deal done or the whales turn out to be guppies, then and only then do you keep the Hornets in New Orleans and then allow Hansen to get the Kings.

Think about it. The league sold the team to Benson for $338 million but Hansen is offering $550 million for the Kings. There's no reason to think that he values the Kings roster over that of the Hornets so the league could've made an extra $212 million off of selling their asset to Hansen instead of Benson. If the league is really all about giving their owners money, then why the heck didn't he do what was in their best financial interest in regards to New Orleans?

Which leads us back to the statement that the Maloofs are out. I'm going to apply logic to the Maloofs situation, and I know that's a tricky thing to do. But there really is no incentive for the Maloofs to drag this out. They will get paid either way. If the fastest way to get paid would be to back out of the Hansen deal and take the Sac groups money, I think they'd do it at this point. But based on George's quote being retracted by a spokesman, I get the feeling that Hansen's team is pulling all the strings at this time.
That's my take on this as well...they know that the vote is in doubt, and all they really want at this point is to get paid their millions ASAP. What I think is funny is that they're still acting like they're in the driver's seat, instead of crying in the back seat and asking if we're there yet. :)

Last edited:
Maybe David Stern is going to get a small amount of inner satisfaction knowing that the increased wait will upset the Maloofs?

Until the sale is actually finalised- it is nice to imagine the Maloofs may have to pay for their groceries with debt.:p

Amen! It blows me away that when Seattle names the villains, they rarely mention George Shinn. His selfishness and stubborness forced the league to look for a different franchise for OKC and unfortunately for you, it turned to be the Sonics.

What's worse is that they had a 2nd chance to make things right and blew it again. They should've held on to the Hornets until the Seattle/Sacramento situation was done. If Sac gets it's act together then you promise to sell the Hornets to Hansen.

If Sac blows it, doesn't get an arena deal done or the whales turn out to be guppies, then and only then do you keep the Hornets in New Orleans and then allow Hansen to get the Kings.

Think about it. The league sold the team to Benson for $338 million but Hansen is offering $550 million for the Kings. There's no reason to think that he values the Kings roster over that of the Hornets so the league could've made an extra $212 million off of selling their asset to Hansen instead of Benson. If the league is really all about giving their owners money, then why the heck didn't he do what was in their best financial interest in regards to New Orleans?

It makes no sense, everything you stated makes complete sense, but again Stern loves New Orleans for whatever reason. The league has always insisted that New Orleans deserves an NBA team despite all the evidence to the contrary. We're 8 years on from Hurricane Katrina, the sentimentality of that city for basketball around the nation is gone, professional basketball has failed in New Orleans. Not only is it the 2nd smallest NBA market, its also located in football territory, in a city that is probably the poorest of any NBA city, in the smallest NBA arena and they've proven that they can't even support a team when they had the 3rd best player in league a few years back. Its pretty telling of the financial situation of New Orleans that every other team in the league has a major sponsorship deal behind the arena, yet their arena remains called "New Orleans Arena". How can you not get a major sponsor to change the name? Are there really no local or national sponsors who want to be marketing to New Orleans? I think thats quite significant. If this whole changing the name from Hornets to Pelicans still proves that nobody cares about basketball in New Orleans, they are gone in 5 years to Vancouver or whichever city. But it still remains puzzling why they allowed the team to stay in New Orleans for so long when they would have been the easy solution to all the relocation crap the last few years.

Last edited:
Concerned about Lacobs vote... I'm hoping that the Vivek connection and bond and role on the team secures that vote... otherwise, why wouldn't he want Northern Cali to himself?

It makes no sense, everything you stated makes complete sense, but again Stern loves New Orleans for whatever reason. The league has always insisted that New Orleans deserves an NBA team despite all the evidence to the contrary. We're 8 years on from Hurricane Katrina, the sentimentality of that city for basketball around the nation is gone, professional basketball has failed in New Orleans. Not only is it the 2nd smallest NBA market, its also located in football territory, in a city that is probably the poorest of any NBA city, in the smallest NBA arena and they've proven that they can't even support a team when they had the 3rd best player in league a few years back. Its pretty telling of the financial situation of New Orleans that every other team in the league has a major sponsorship deal behind the arena, yet their arena remains called "New Orleans Arena". How can you not get a major sponsor to change the name? Are there really no local or national sponsors who want to be marketing to New Orleans? I think thats quite significant. If this whole changing the name from Hornets to Pelicans still proves that nobody cares about basketball in New Orleans, they are gone in 5 years to Vancouver or whichever city. But it still remains puzzling why they allowed the team to stay in New Orleans for so long when they would have been the easy solution to all the relocation crap the last few years.
I'm sorry but you Seattle people that continue to put this on New Orleans are completely blind. The Pelicans are staying in New Orleans until 2024 and that lease will not be broken. The easy solution would of been to build your arena.

Last edited:
Concerned about Lacobs vote... I'm hoping that the Vivek connection and bond and role on the team secures that vote... otherwise, why wouldn't he want Northern Cali to himself?
Because it's not like all of us Kings fans are going to turn into Warriors fans if we lose our team. Most of us will be turned off by the NBA all together and the ones left will probably band wagon onto a more popular team.

Personally, if we lose the team I am done with the NBA and my Kings shirts/memorabilia will go into the trash or on EBAY eventually. The only thing I will keep is my #55 purple JWill jersey with the sparkly numbers. That was my favorite jersey I ever bought and I won't be giving that away or throwing it away anytime soon.

I have attended 2 Warriors games a year since 1988... No Kings I will not go... just my 2 cents. But imagine a Warriors Kings play off series.. just sayn.

From what I have heard though is that Lacob was supposed to be in the bag along with KJ's Phoenix connection (even though Collangelo doesn't own the team anymore) I also believe we have Buss and Sterling in the bag. I think all three have been talked to privately by Steinberg anyway. So I believe we have at least 4 votes in the bag with Cuban always voting the way of the minority so that would make 5. Other than that it's a wide open field if the Kings didn't totally match, but with George's comments about accepting a Kings backup offer I have a feeling he's already let the general feeling about the Kings moving out of the bag, and I believe that it has something to do with KJ taking the redeye to NY a couple days ago.

We shall see!

No team-fanbase in the MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL have ever supported a team like we have in the wakes of actually losing our team. I think we made all the difference even though people like Napear said we would have 0% impact on the decision to leave or stay a few months back.

From what I have heard though is that Lacob was supposed to be in the bag along with KJ's Phoenix connection (even though Collangelo doesn't own the team anymore) I also believe we have Buss and Sterling in the bag. I think all three have been talked to privately by Steinberg anyway. So I believe we have at least 4 votes in the bag with Cuban always voting the way of the minority so that would make 5. Other than that it's a wide open field if the Kings didn't totally match, but with George's comments about accepting a Kings backup offer I have a feeling he's already let the general feeling about the Kings moving out of the bag, and I believe that it has something to do with KJ taking the redeye to NY a couple days ago.

We shall see!

No team-fanbase in the MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL have ever supported a team like we have in the wakes of actually losing our team. I think we made all the difference even though people like Napear said we would have 0% impact on the decision to leave or stay a few months back.
Wizards owner is good friends with Vivek

Because it's not like all of us Kings fans are going to turn into Warriors fans if we lose our team. Most of us will be turned off by the NBA all together and the ones left will probably band wagon onto a more popular team.

Personally, if we lose the team I am done with the NBA and my Kings shirts/memorabilia will go into the trash or on EBAY eventually. The only thing I will keep is my #55 purple JWill jersey with the sparkly numbers. That was my favorite jersey I ever bought and I won't be giving that away or throwing it away anytime soon.
I would have to agree with the above 100%. The only concession would be the neon Kings sign above the frig in my workshop. That was a gift from my daughters and it is staying where it is hanging no matter what:)

KB

Dave Zirin ‏@EdgeofSports 1m

The Maloofs boot-licking proclamation of fealty to the Seattle ownership group was about as predictible as an Undertaker Wrestlemania match.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 51s

"Offers are in the same ballpark with the same net-result to the selling owners." -D. Stern The offers are NOT an issue.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So the Maloofs are concerned about the execs getting golden parachutes, because surely everyone local to Sacramento is going to lose their job when the team moves. #$%^s.

So the Maloofs are concerned about the execs getting golden parachutes, because surely everyone local to Sacramento is going to lose their job when the team moves. #$%^s.
Well lets face it the BM are boot licking their new master the hedge fund pirate. They now live to do his bidding.

Stern

The Sacramento bid is binding and they have a down payment ready. Both offers give the selling party the same amount of money.
Oh he said Sacramento has signed their offer but the maloofs have not.

Last edited:
Chris Daniels owned by Stern again.

"I'm still waiting for you to get something right."
Hahahaha, that was great wasn't it?

The other thing I picked up on was the previous guy from the Seattle Times about expansion being a non-starter or not. Stern responded that he looked forward to reading "his" newspaper for what Silver's plans will be regarding expansion.