The Ultimate Rebuild (with BOS, PHI, POR, & UTA)

How satisfied would you be if the Kings made all of these trades?

• Very Satisfied

• Moderately Satisfied

• Slightly Satisfied

• Neutral

• Slightly Dissatisfied

• Moderately Dissatisfied

• Very Dissatisfied

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah I agree. There's not high end talent at the top of the draft, but the talent in mid-late 1st seems fine/comparable to other drafts.

Devin Vassell
Aaron Nesmith

Patrick Williams
Sadiq Bey
Josh Green
Desmond Bane
Tyler Bey

All those guys seem like good wing options that have coveted skillsets in today's NBA. Then you have some guys that have shown some 3&D potential as bigs:

Daniel Oturu
Jalen Smith
Killian Tillie
I've looked into the 4 bolded, haven't had a chance to look at Bane, Williams or Green yet, but i'd be thrilled if those were the guys surrounding Fox/Bagley. From a team fit perspective with Fox and Bagley, these guys are near perfect in terms of the type of skill-sets we want around them; athletic, shooters (Tyler Bey maybe? Not sure on his shot), defensive-oriented with excellent measurables to be great defenders, don't need to control the ball and can play multiple positions.

This seems like an excellent draft if we can acquire another pick, to really prioritize team fit around a Fox/Bagley future and get guys who can make a big impact around their skill-set. I'll be honest, I don't think I really want to move up as I'm far more interested in this tier of guys than I am the guys at the top of the draft. To me, there's not much of a skill difference and I really believe in this tier skill-sets translating because they're so valuable as big athletic wings who can shoot and have defensive upside.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe I'm missing something with this draft with everyone saying it sucks, but I think all these wings projected to go later in the lottery or mid-1st round (Nesmith, Vassell, Bey, Bey) have tremendous potential to be super impactful NBA players. Maybe you aren't looking at stars, but the general archetype (6'6-6'8, good-great athlete, long wing-span, floor spacing, shown defensive potential, flexible 2-4 position wise) are the exact kind of players everyone is looking for and is struggling to find. Pretty big reason an average player like Harrison Barnes manages to get massive contract after massive contract because his player archetype is pretty rare. I'd be pretty excited if we managed to leave the draft with 2 of these wings.
Most people, or let me say, knowledgeable people don't say the draft sucks, but that it's a weak draft. And I agree. But to put that in perspective, all that means is that there aren't any sure fire superstars, of maybe even stars at the top of the draft. Meaning that it's possible that a player taken 25th in this draft might end up being as good, or better than a player taken in the top five. However, the draft is loaded with potential future starters, or solid rotational players.

I'd almost rather be picking 12th (thanks for the correction Capt) than first. Not pressure at 12, but lots of pressure to make the right pick at number one. I did say almost... Your quick analysis confirms what I've just said. Of course, there will be a star or two and maybe even a superstar come out of this draft. We simply don't know who that is yet.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah I agree. There's not high end talent at the top of the draft, but the talent in mid-late 1st seems fine/comparable to other drafts.

Devin Vassell
Aaron Nesmith
Patrick Williams
Sadiq Bey
Josh Green
Desmond Bane
Tyler Bey

All those guys seem like good wing options that have coveted skillsets in today's NBA. Then you have some guys that have shown some 3&D potential as bigs:

Daniel Oturu
Jalen Smith
Killian Tillie
There is no bigger fan of Tillie than me, but he'll definitely go in the 2nd rd. And I would grab him in a heartbeat if he's available. The only reason he's in the 2nd rd is his history of injuries. But when healthy, he was the best player on that Gonzaga team

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We should draft a wing and trade Barnes.
The best wing with legit size to play SF is Bey. 6'8" and a very good defender. He also shot 45% from the three while taking almost 5 attempts a game. Vassell would also be a great fit, but I doubt he'll be there when we pick. If you just want a wing that can play some three, but is more of a two, and can shoot, then hands down it's Nesmith 6'6", who shot 52% from the three. If you want to trade Barnes, which I wouldn't do, at least not right now. then I would have to go with Bey, who could also move over and play some four.

The best wing with legit size to play SF is Bey. 6'8" and a very good defender. He also shot 45% from the three while taking almost 5 attempts a game. Vassell would also be a great fit, but I doubt he'll be there when we pick. If you just want a wing that can play some three, but is more of a two, and can shoot, then hands down it's Nesmith 6'6", who shot 52% from the three. If you want to trade Barnes, which I wouldn't do, at least not right now. then I would have to go with Bey, who could also move over and play some four.
Trading barnes isn't urgent but I definitely would. If we put him on the block we'll likely get some decent offers possibly some draft compensation.

Great work putting this together :). Accrued a lot of 1sts. . Will be honest though, I don’t value late 1sts I’m the NBA like say the NFL, especially when you have a team with the track record like the Kings

Would you say this draft is stronger or weaker than 2016? Not including Simmons and Ingram.

With another disappointing end to the season and with Vlade now out of the picture, I wanted to provide a "total rebuild" thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRADE #1
BOS Gets: Richaun Holmes & 2020 SAC 2nd
BOS Gives: Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirer, & 2020 BOS 1st
Why for BOS? The Celtics get a cheap C who gives them athleticism at the C spot, but is also a good defender all over the floor (perimeter, PnR, & interior). He's also a good screener & rim running threat. Unlike R. Williams, Holmes is a very good FT shooter which will allow him to stay on the floor during crunch time while not hurting the team. They also consolidate their roster spots from three to two. However, they could maybe use the SAC 2nd on a draft & stash player to open up another roster spot.

SAC Gets: Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirer, & 2020 BOS 1st
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes & 2020 SAC 2nd
Why for SAC? Kings move their win-now vet for a 1st round pick to help with their rebuild.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRADE #2
UTA Gets: Nemanja Bjelica & 2020 DET 2nd
UTA Gives: Ed Davis, Juwan Morgan, & 2020 UTA 1st
Why for UTA? The Jazz don't have anyone on their roster with the combination of Bjelica's size, shooting, rebounding, & passing. With Gobert's elite defense, Bjelica's below average defense would be somewhat negated, but his Bjelica's elite 3PT shooting (and it extends well beyond the 3PT line) will create that much more space for the rest of the team. His passing & unselfishness would fit right in with how the Jazz play. They also get an early 2nd back (#35) to give them another cheap, young player.

SAC Gets: Ed Davis, Juwan Morgan, & 2020 UTA 1st
SAC Gives: Nemanja Bjelica & 2020 DET 2nd
Why for SAC? Kings move their win-now vet for a 1st round pick to help with their rebuild.

TRADE #3
UTA Gets: Bogdan Bogdanovic (S&T) & Cory Joseph
UTA Gives: Mike Conley & Future 1st (Top 10 Protected - would convey 2 years after their 1st is conveyed to MEM)
Why for UTA? The Jazz move Mitchell to PG full time, but get a long SG (6'11" wingspan and 8'8" standing reach) who can shoot, handle, and run the PnR. Joseph gives them a great defensive PG. He's lacking in terms of being able to run an offense, but with Mtichell, Bogdanovic, O'Neale, Ingles, Bogdanovic, & Bjelica all being capable passers/playmakers, they can have others assume that role on offense.

SAC Gets: Mike Conley & Future 1st (Top 10 Protected - would convey 2 years after their 1st is conveyed to MEM)
SAC Gives: Bogdan Bogdanovic (S&T) & Cory Joseph
Why for SAC? Kings move their win-now vet for a 1st round pick to help with their rebuild. Conley would also be a great veteran mentor to help bring the kids along and potentially teach Fox a thing or two to help him elevate his game.

TRADE #4
PHI Gets: Buddy Hield
PHI Gives: Al Horford, 2020 OKC 1st, & 2022 PHI 1st (Top 4 Protected)
Why for PHI? The 76ers replace an older, overpaid, less than ideal fit player in Horford for a younger, better fitting piece in Hield (who's contract is declining) while still being able to hold onto Thybulle. Hield's shooting would do wonders to help space the floor for Simmons & Embiid, and with Richardson & Thybulle still on the roster, they can cover for Hield defensively as they can easily guard 1s & 2s.

SAC Gets: Al Horford, 2020 OKC 1st, & 2022 PHI 1st (Top 4 Protected)
SAC Gives: Buddy Hield
Why for SAC? Kings move their win-now vet for a couple of 1st round picks to help with their rebuild. Horford would also be a great veteran mentor to help bring the kids along. He also may help Bagley learn a thing or two about defense, playing the game smart, etc.

TRADE #5
POR Gets: Harrison Barnes
POR Gives: Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood, & 2021 POR 1st (Top 14 Protected)
Why for POR? The Blazers get a solid 3&D SF to pair next to Lillard & McCollum to help their defense, and ultimately see if they can run it back with Lillard, McCollum, Barnes, Collins, Nurkic, Simons, Trent, Little, & 2020 POR 1st.

SAC Gets: Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood, & 2021 POR 1st (Top 14 Protected)
SAC Gives: Harrison Barnes

KINGS ROSTER/ASSETS GOING INTO 2020-21 SEASON

PG - Fox / Conley / Guy
SG - James / Hood
SF - Jeffries / Ariza
PF - Bagley / Parker / Morgan
C - Horford / Kanter / Davis / Poirier
2020 Picks - SAC 1st, UTA 1st, OKC 1st, BOS 1st, & HOU 2nd
2021 Picks - SAC 1st, POR 1st (Top 14 Protected), SAC 2nd, & MEM 2nd
2022 Picks - SAC 1st, PHI 1st (Top 4 Protected), & SAC 2nd
2023 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd
2024 Picks - SAC 1st, UTA 1st (Top 10 Protected), SAC 2nd, & POR 2nd
2025 Picks - SAC 1st, SAC 2nd, & POR 2nd
2026 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd
2027 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd

• Kings free up some minutes/roster spots for James & Jeffries to see if any of them are core, long term pieces (they're 22-23 years old).
  • They hold on to Fox as a potential young cornerstone (22 years old).
  • Bagley's value is at an all time low. They hold onto him and hope he develops into a core, long term piece (still only 21 years old)
  • Kings have a plethora of 1st round picks to use (4 in 2020, 2 in 2021, 2 in 2022, 1 in 2023, 2 in 2024, 1 in 2025, 1 in 2026, & 1 in 2027)
  • Kings have a couple of very good veteran mentors (Horford & Conley) who will help the kids learn how to win, play the right way, and be a pro.
  • Kings would likely be at the top of the 2021 & 2022 draft with this rebuild. Both drafts have some very intriguing top end talent.
What do you think it would take to get Caris Levert?

He's the best player on the Nets right now but I feel like his skill set will be wasted and his weaknesses will be exacerbated when Durant and Irving are back. I'd take a chance on him as the Kings 2nd ball handler next to Fox.

He's the best player on the Nets right now but I feel like his skill set will be wasted and his weaknesses will be exacerbated when Durant and Irving are back. I'd take a chance on him as the Kings 2nd ball handler next to Fox.
LeVert is 25 years old. The whole point of this thread was to reset and rebuild. I wouldn't be targeting LeVert (if I was at the helm).

Also, his impact stats haven't been that good, but I do wonder if they would be better in a different role that doesn't require him to be "the guy" but it's something to consider.

You had me at BOS Gets: Richaun Holmes

hard pass on that plan
I think you need to look up what "you had me at" means.

Holmes should be on a team that is competing now. If the vision is to rebuild, Holmes (at 26 years old) shouldn't be a part of the long term plan especially if he can return a 1st round pick in a trade.

LeVert is 25 years old. The whole point of this thread was to reset and rebuild. I wouldn't be targeting LeVert (if I was at the helm).

Also, his impact stats haven't been that good, but I do wonder if they would be better in a different role that doesn't require him to be "the guy" but it's something to consider.
I don't have a problem with his age. I'm all about rebuilding but I don't think every player has to be 20 years old at the beginning of the rebuild. He would still be in his prime when the younger players came into their own.

I try to look for guys that are about to break out but are still a bit under the radar. VanVleet was a guy that me and @The_Jamal were pushing for last offseason because his stats showed the signs that he was on the verge of potentially breaking out. Levert is that guy for me this offseason. Unselfish player that passes the eye test as a high level secondary play maker. Like you said, he's just not "the guy".

Getting first round picks for all our good role players is a nice thought but it's not realistic. If I had the chance to trade Harrison Barnes for the 18th pick and a contract in 2021 or Caris Levert and a contract, I'll take the latter because the odds of getting a Levert type talent at that spot is pretty low.

I think the Nets are going to try to shop him and Allen together and potentially picks to get a 3rd star. Not sure how effective that will be.

I think you could make Buddy+Holmes/Bjelica for LeVert+Contract work. I'd be working that angle to all these teams about how perfect a 3rd banana Hield would be next to two mega-stars who command a ton of USG. And I'd be fully on board asking about LeVert as well; he's got the profile of a playmaking wing, which is certainly a need next to Fox.

I think you need to look up what "you had me at" means.

Holmes should be on a team that is competing now. If the vision is to rebuild, Holmes (at 26 years old) shouldn't be a part of the long term plan especially if he can return a 1st round pick in a trade.
I think it is ok for you to think that. it's fine. I think we have like THREE pieces worth having in Fox, Bagley and Holmes. I don't think people should agree with this - but the question was whether I would be satisfied with a plan that dumps Holmes for a playoff team's draft pick and I said I would not.

I too would be a bit bummed if Holmes is traded, probably the biggest bright spot this last season.
LeVert is an intriguing piece though, just another player we passed on twice in the infamous 2016 draft. Im glad he is looking good after questionable foot injuries, good all around skills and size for a SG.

I think it is ok for you to think that. it's fine. I think we have like THREE pieces worth having in Fox, Bagley and Holmes. I don't think people should agree with this - but the question was whether I would be satisfied with a plan that dumps Holmes for a playoff team's draft pick and I said I would not.
I wouldn't either, but it's going to be next to impossible to keep him. If he balls out next year again, he's hitting UFA with us only being able to offer 8.75 mil for the first year of his contract because our team is going to be too expensive after the Bogdan extension and what we're currently paying Buddy and Barnes. Add on a likely Fox extension this off-season and we're going to be paying Bogdan, Barnes, Buddy and Fox like 80-85 mil a season.

That's a big reason why some of us are ready to hit the reset button now. Those 4 are just good enough to keep us in the hunt for an 8 seed and you would need Bagley to become a star to become a serious playoff contender. That's a super expensive investment for possibly maybe making the playoffs.

I wouldn't either, but it's going to be next to impossible to keep him. If he balls out next year again, he's hitting UFA with us only being able to offer 8.75 mil for the first year of his contract because our team is going to be too expensive after the Bogdan extension and what we're currently paying Buddy and Barnes. Add on a likely Fox extension this off-season and we're going to be paying Bogdan, Barnes, Buddy and Fox like 80-85 mil a season.

That's a big reason why some of us are ready to hit the reset button now. Those 4 are just good enough to keep us in the hunt for an 8 seed and you would need Bagley to become a star to become a serious playoff contender. That's a super expensive investment for possibly maybe making the playoffs.
Well on the other hand, any headline that reads "Buddy & Barnes traded for..." I will absolutely approve. :) I don't really care what the return is due to Buddy's attitude and Barnes' salary and mediocrity.

well TRADE # 4 just got closer to a possibility with Bostons sweep of the Sixers.
I can imagine some change coming to that lineup.

Last edited:
I think the Nets are going to try to shop him and Allen together and potentially picks to get a 3rd star. Not sure how effective that will be.

I think you could make Buddy+Holmes/Bjelica for LeVert+Contract work. I'd be working that angle to all these teams about how perfect a 3rd banana Hield would be next to two mega-stars who command a ton of USG. And I'd be fully on board asking about LeVert as well; he's got the profile of a playmaking wing, which is certainly a need next to Fox.
I would trade 12/Hield for Levert but it’s not happening. I just heard Levert and KD are kind of close off the floor no way they trade him.

We could get dinwiddie who averaged 20-7 as he’s gonna be a free agent after next year. Do buddy/Bjlecia for dinwiddie/temple/prince

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I would trade 12/Hield for Levert but it’s not happening. I just heard Levert and KD are kind of close off the floor no way they trade him.

We could get dinwiddie who averaged 20-7 as he’s gonna be a free agent after next year. Do buddy/Bjlecia for dinwiddie/temple/prince
The issue is I’m not quite sure Dinwiddie is even better than Buddy so much as the Atkinson system just made him look that way.

I'm a Dinwiddie fan but I question whether he and Fox could play with each other. Not much shooting there.

I'm a Dinwiddie fan but I question whether he and Fox could play with each other. Not much shooting there.
Ya that’s me only problem but I was thinking you bring him in to be our super 6th man where he leads the second team. Draft Nesmith at 12 and let Bogi walk cause we’d need to sign Dinwiddie next year.

Circling back to this now that the draft is over, we would have been left with the following roster/assets before the draft...

PG - Fox / Conley / Guy​
SG - James / Hood​
SF - Jeffries / Ariza​
PF - Bagley / Parker / Morgan​
C - Horford / Kanter / Davis / Poirier​
2020 Picks - SAC 1st, UTA 1st, OKC 1st, BOS 1st, & HOU 2nd​
2021 Picks - SAC 1st, POR 1st (Top 14 Protected), SAC 2nd, & MEM 2nd​
2022 Picks - SAC 1st, PHI 1st (Top 4 Protected), & SAC 2nd​
2023 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd​
2024 Picks - SAC 1st, UTA 1st (Top 10 Protected), SAC 2nd, & POR 2nd​
2025 Picks - SAC 1st, SAC 2nd, & POR 2nd​
2026 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd​
2027 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd​

That means we would have had the 12th, 21st, 23rd, 26th, and 52nd pick in the 2020 draft. Looking at how the draft played out, this is likely what I would have preferred...

• Draft Tyrese Haliburton at #12
  • Trade #21 and #23 for #18 and #31
  • Draft Saddiq Bey at #18
  • Draft Jaden McDaniela at #26
  • Draft Tyler Bey at #31
  • Draft Paul Reed at #52

That would have left us with this roster and future assets...

PG - Fox / Conley / Guy​
SG - Haliburton / James / Hood​
SF - S. Bey / Jeffries / Ariza​
PF - Bagley / McDaniels / T. Bey / Parker / Morgan​
C - Horford / P. Reed / Kanter / Davis / Poirier​

I do have to admit that I liked the Bogdan trade for DiVincenzo better than my original idea. That would have resulted in Conley, James, and the 2024 UTA 1st being gone and DiVincenzo, Wilson, Ilyasova, and Joseph being on the roster. I think a 3 guard rotation of Fox, Halliburton, and DiVincenzo would have been great.

Having said that, this team would have likely bottomed out in the standings getting us a very valuable 2021 1st round pick to add to a core of...

PG - Fox / Guy​
SG - Haliburton / James​
SF - S. Bey / Jeffries​
PF - Bagley / McDaniels / T. Bey​
C - Reed​

Circling back to this now that the draft is over, we would have been left with the following roster/assets before the draft...

PG - Fox / Conley / Guy​
SG - James / Hood​
SF - Jeffries / Ariza​
PF - Bagley / Parker / Morgan​
C - Horford / Kanter / Davis / Poirier​
2020 Picks - SAC 1st, UTA 1st, OKC 1st, BOS 1st, & HOU 2nd​

That means we would have had the 12th, 21st, 23rd, 26th, and 52nd pick in the 2020 draft. Looking at how the draft played out, this is likely what I would have preferred...

• Draft Tyrese Haliburton at #12
  • Trade #21 and #23 for #18 and #31
  • Draft Saddiq Bey at #18
  • Draft Jaden McDaniela at #26
  • Draft Tyler Bey at #31
  • Draft Paul Reed at #52

That would have left us with this roster and future assets...

PG - Fox / Conley / Guy​
SG - Haliburton / James / Hood​
SF - S. Bey / Jeffries / Ariza​
PF - Bagley / McDaniels / T. Bey / Parker / Morgan​
C - Horford / P. Reed / Kanter / Davis / Poirier​

I do have to admit that I liked the Bogdan trade for DiVincenzo better than my original idea. That would have resulted in Conley, James, and the 2024 UTA 1st being gone and DiVincenzo, Wilson, Ilyasova, and Joseph being on the roster. I think a 3 guard rotation of Fox, Halliburton, and DiVincenzo would have been great.

Having said that, this team would have likely bottomed out in the standings getting us a very valuable 2021 1st round pick to add to a core of...

PG - Fox / Guy​
SG - Haliburton / James​
SF - S. Bey / Jeffries​
PF - Bagley / McDaniels / T. Bey​
C - Reed​
I would love an approach like this. What do these horrible franchises have in common that havent been competitive in 10+ years (kings, hornets ect). I can assure you it isnt tanking & gathering additional future assets. The thing they have in common is that they desperatively aim for that 8th seed without actually putting their focus on to the future. As long as we continue on this path, we will be a very bad team. I've been advocating for a real rebuild for many many years. If we want to be good long tearm, the rebuild just has to happen. As long as we keep trying to reach the 8th seed, we will be bad.