The Road to catching the Spurs

It really has been a great season and the start of good things to come. The real challenge as fans will come next year when we all expect to make the playoffs. The only 2 teams in the top 8 that will be vulnerable next year imo are the Spurs (old age) and the Clips (unless they land Kawhi) The Lakers are likely to be in the mix as well assuming they land a big fish. We are really going to have to grind to make it next year.
Yes, which is why making it this year was important. End of the day we just fell short but with a full summer and additional growthto bagley, giles and fox's games plus some good moves by Vlade and we shouldn't have any issues if we remain healthy. Next year we should be able to further our record a be 45 - 50 wins

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It really has been a great season and the start of good things to come. The real challenge as fans will come next year when we all expect to make the playoffs. The only 2 teams in the top 8 that will be vulnerable next year imo are the Spurs (old age) and the Clips (unless they land Kawhi) The Lakers are likely to be in the mix as well assuming they land a big fish. We are really going to have to grind to make it next year.
I've been thinking the same thing. And I have a feeling the Clipps are going to come up big in FA, in which case they could soar to easily to the top 4 in the West. I just don't know about the Lakers. LBJ will be one year older and I doubt they land any big fish, though they probably will land some medium sized ones.

It's a great season. Being human, we want more, more, more. Guaranteed if the Kings made the playoffs with the 8th seed there would be people wishing the Kings could have gotten the 6th or 7th seed (I probably would). That's just human nature. I'm just thankful to all get-out that the Kings have Fox, Bagley, Giles and Buddy to build on going forward. Buddy, the "old man" of the group is 26 years old and is just starting to enter his prime. In the olden days the remaining three should still be in college. Those are four great building blocks.

If you have to lose out to teams for the playoff, it's no disgrace to lose to three very well coached and managed organizations - Spurs, Clipps, and Jazz. I just thank God it wasn't the freaking Lakers that was the team that beat out the Kings.
,Its interesting, I posed the question earlier, if a team goes say .333 winning percentage on the season but a vast majority of their losses are 5 pts or less, are they a disgrace? At some point, the Kings have to start winning more games against +.500 teams if they want to make the playoffs - that doesn't magically change year over year. The same obstacles and tendencies are still there next year - they must improve defense and FTs -- most especially FTs.

Kings were out before the Nets game let's be real.

They would still be 5.5 games behind if they beat the Nets.

The thunder were too far in front.
They needed Spurs / Clippers to stumble and Kings to win at a +0.650 clip. Neither happened.

The final seedings are so open

Nuggets Warriors will be 1-2 (Warriors you would expect to get the 1 seed but I think they want it less than Denver)

Rockets Blazers 3-4 (Rockets you would expect to get the 3 seed but they've talked about testing Harden / Paul)

Then 5-8 is going to be fun.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings were out before the Nets game let's be real.

They would still be 5.5 games behind if they beat the Nets.

The thunder were too far in front.
They needed Spurs / Clippers to stumble and Kings to win at a +0.650 clip. Neither happened.

The final seedings are so open

Nuggets Warriors will be 1-2 (Warriors you would expect to get the 1 seed but I think they want it less than Denver)

Rockets Blazers 3-4 (Rockets you would expect to get the 3 seed but they've talked about testing Harden / Paul)

Then 5-8 is going to be fun.
We're Kings fans. "Let's be real" isn't necessarily in our vocabulary. Just the mere fact we still have our Kings to root for is proof of that.

You are what your record says you are.

The Kings are basically a .500 team that is on the rise and with a ton of young talent. They also make a lot of mistakes, lose their focus down the stretch, and multiple areas to improve in. Hence the record being what it is.

82 games is a long season and things tend to even out. Most teams have gut wrenching losses, miracle wins, and injuries. By this point in the season they are what their record says they are.

Spurs entering an interesting stretch now. I belive they have Miami, Boston, Charlotte, Houston plus the Cavs and us in their next 6 games.

We must beat the lakers and keep winning but things could get interesting here

You are what your record says you are.

The Kings are basically a .500 team that is on the rise and with a ton of young talent. They also make a lot of mistakes, lose their focus down the stretch, and multiple areas to improve in. Hence the record being what it is.

82 games is a long season and things tend to even out. Most teams have gut wrenching losses, miracle wins, and injuries. By this point in the season they are what their record says they are.
While I think this is a bit reductive, I’d say it’s mostly true. The Kings were only ever, what, five games over .500 at their highest point this season? Six? The eighth place Spurs are currently eleven games over .500. Even if the Kings were still in the thick of the race, it would be a tall order for a young team that has struggled to close out a lot of close games.

The fact of the matter is that the Jazz, Clippers, and Spurs all turned it on after the all-star break, and the Kings slumped. They weren’t able to rise to the occasion. And that’s okay! I’m hoping for a finish at or above .500, and that would represent a monumental improvement in the win/loss column for a team nobody expected to finish ninth in the West.

The playoffs would have been nice. Kings fans are thirsty for it, as are the Kings players. Another piece or two and another season of development should bring them closer to that goal.

OKC is losing again. we can still catch them. lol
Looking at their schedule remaining they do have tough games left.

Pacers (today), Nuggets (friday) the next two games and finishing the season against the Rockets and Bucks with other games in between being; Mavs, Lakers, Pistons, Wolves.

Lakers, Mavs and Wolves have both beaten OKC recently

We'd have to hope they go 2 - 6 somehow ending 45 - 37. Meanwhile we would have to be flawless 8-0 to end the season to win the tiebreaker having beat them 3 times this season.

So there you have it.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Pacers (today), Nuggets (friday) the next two games and finishing the season against the Rockets and Bucks with other games in between being; Mavs, Lakers, Pistons, Wolves.

We'd have to hope they go 2 - 6 somehow ending 45 - 37. Meanwhile we would have to be flawless 8-0 to end the season to win the tiebreaker having beat them 3 times this season.

So there you have it.
So you're saying there's a chance. ;)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

So there you have it.
If you assume that the Kings have a 50% chance of winning each game and the Thunder have a 50% chance of winning each game, then we have about a 0.2% chance of making the playoffs.

If you get real generous and say the Kings have an 80% chance of winning each game from here on out and the Thunder have an 80% chance of losing each game, we still only have a 35% chance of making the playoffs!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you assume that the Kings have a 50% chance of winning each game and the Thunder have a 50% chance of winning each game, then we have about a 0.2% chance of making the playoffs.

If you get real generous and say the Kings have an 80% chance of winning each game from here on out and the Thunder have an 80% chance of losing each game, we still only have a 35% chance of making the playoffs!
So you're saying there's a chance. ;)