The ones who are left

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here are the Kings still under contract for the upcoming year. This assumes the Kings pick up, as promised, Bobby's option.

PG - Bibby, Bobby
SG - Martin
SF - Peja, Corliss
PF - Thomas
C - Miller, Tag, Skinner

That's it, folks. That's all we have left...

I am not impressed.

Contract info:

Sacramento Kings ..Date ....# of ....total
Player ..................signed...years...salary...misc...FA
Erik Daniels .......... 10/1/04... 1... minimum... '05
Maurice Evans ......... 10/1/04... 1... minimum... '05
Eddie House ........... 1/7/05... 1... minimum... '05
Bobby Jackson ......... 8/1/00... 5... $13.5 million... '05
Cuttino Mobley ........ 10/2/00... 6... $31 million... p-opt '05
Greg Ostertag ......... 7/20/04... 2... $8.4 million... p-opt '05
Darius Songaila ....... 7/23/04... 2... $3.36 million... p-opt '05
Predrag Stojakovic .... 6/8/98,8/16/00... 3+6... $3.9 + $45 mill... p-opt '06
Mike Bibby ............ 8/16/02... 7... $80.5 million... p-opt '07
Corliss Williamson .... 7/24/01... 6... $31,500,000... '07
Kevin Martin .......... 7/7/04... 4... $4,620,441... rc t-opt '08
Brian Skinner ......... 7/14/04... 4... $20.7 million... t-opt '08
Kenny Thomas .......... 7/16/03... 7... $50 million... p-opt '08
Brad Miller ........... 7/24/03... 7... $67 million... '10

EDIT: I added contract information from:
http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/contracts

Last edited:
VF21 said:
PG - Bibby, Bobby
SG - Martin
SF - Peja, Corliss
PF - Thomas
C - Miller, Tag

I am not impressed.
As of now, it doesn't look like we can retool. Time to rebuild.

I'm hoping(glad) to see Martin get some significant PT next year.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Hey its not like the line up at the end of the season was the kind of team you did NOT want to see borken up. Yeah I'd like to see some trade to bring back tallent, but it's not like these guys have signed else where yet. I have faith that the roster at the start of the next season will be superior to the roster that ended last season.

VF21 said:
Here are the Kings still under contract for the upcoming year. This assumes the Kings pick up, as promised, Bobby's option.

PG - Bibby, Bobby
SG - Martin
SF - Peja, Corliss
PF - Thomas
C - Miller, Tag

I am not impressed.

Ouch. Reality just hit hard. That is all we have left AND we are still over the cap? My heart wants to say that all of this was part of Petrie's master plan and the Maloofs are opening up their wallets again. My head says . . . my head just plain hurts!

Bottom line question: What is the best case (realistic) scenario for next season? Any takers on this question? I think that after seeing this I am officially out of ideas and about to hit panic mode. Problem number 1- It's STILL May!

VF, I don't know rather to say thanks for the info or ask you to pull the dagger out of my heart! :eek: ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
HndsmCelt said:
Hey its not like the line up at the end of the season was the kind of team you did NOT want to see borken up. Yeah I'd like to see some trade to bring back tallent, but it's not like these guys have signed else where yet. I have faith that the roster at the start of the next season will be superior to the roster that ended last season.
You're right. No one has signed elsewhere but we're still over the cap with just what we have there...

Saying the roster at the start of the next season will be superior to the roster that ended last season just doesn't fill me with excitement and jubilee.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That doesn't make me feel any better at all. We aren't the Hawks either...yet. I've worked myself into a nice fit of despair and I intend to enjoy it for a while.

Chris
Doug
Vlade
Jim Jackson
Scott Pollard
Keon Clark
Tony Massenburg
Anthony Peeler
Jabari Smith
Hedo
Gerald Wallace
Lawrence Funderburke
Damon Jones
and many others that I'm too tired to remember off the top of my head.

Plus Darius and Cat opt out, and Peja asks for a trade last year.
What don't we know?

I think Petrie will come through and make us pretty good. I have faith the best is yet to come. We have great owners and a GM dedicated to winning. This is just a transition phase for the club. I expect that we'll put a good team on the floor next year and compete for our division at least.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SDKing said:
What don't we know?
I don't think it's a matter of not knowing something. I think it's a matter of having to finally accept that the "glory days" are over. We didn't get the brass ring and the owners of the team aren't the free-spending guys they once were. They've tightened the purse strings - and Geoff Petrie is going to have to work a lot of magic during TDOS to try and move pieces around to get us back to anywhere near elite status.

A little voice keeps telling me he has something in mind. That he (Petrie) is like a Grand Master in chess. He's already thinking 12 moves ahead; we're just not good enough to see it with him.

Unfortunately, that little voice is getting softer and weaker...

I so do NOT want to suck again. Being a fan of a team that sucks... well, sucks.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
And yet out of the ashes, we could bring this into next season:

Mike Bibby, Eddie House
Marko Jaric, Maurice Evans
Peja Stojakovic, Eric Williams
Donyell Marshall, Chris Anderson, Ike Diogu
Brad Miller, Theo Ratliff

Doesn't look so bad now does it? Considering.

hrdboild

Staff member
I've posted (what I think are) reasonable scenarios for getting all of them in the trade thread. Anderson and Evans split the MLE. House signs a minimum deal (or some other end of the bench point guard, doesn't matter) Marshall and Williams in a sign and trade for Bobby and Kenny. Ratliff for OTag and Williamson and Martin. Sign and trade for Jaric with Skinner and a future draft pick. Diogu in the draft. There.

hrdboild said:
And yet out of the ashes, we could bring this into next season:

Mike Bibby, Eddie House
Marko Jaric, Maurice Evans
Peja Stojakovic, Eric Williams
Donyell Marshall, Chris Anderson, Ike Diogu
Brad Miller, Theo Ratliff

Doesn't look so bad now does it? Considering.

Mike Bibby (28), Eddie House (28)
Marko Jaric (28), Maurice Evans (28)
Peja Stojakovic (29), Eric Williams (32)
Donyell Marshall (32), Chris Anderson (28) Ike Diogu
Brad Miller (30), Theo Ratliff (33)

(#) = age in 06 season

We'd probably be rebuiling again after 2 seasons.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mad D said:
Mike Bibby (28), Eddie House (28)
Marko Jaric (28), Maurice Evans (28)
Peja Stojakovic (29), Eric Williams (32)
Donyell Marshall (32), Chris Anderson (28) Ike Diogu
Brad Miller (30), Theo Ratliff (33)

(#) = age in 06 season

We'd probably be rebuiling again after 2 seasons.
Without having won anything in the meantime.

We'll see here, but there are times when "nothing risked nothing gained" is actually applicable. We can stall out here and wait while our not-good-enough core slowly ages, content to make the playoffs and win a round here and there, or maybe its time to take that risk and try to return to elite status.

P.S. -- doesn't mean you HAVE to do it, but generally if you stall out you want to stall out as a clear Top6-8 team in the league and hope to get lucky in the draft or have something really break right for you. Hang around and see what happens. But you don't want to stall out as an also ran lower playoff seed. Win or lose, get better or get worse, but you don't want to get stuck in medicore good but not great and no-way-to-get-better hell. With Bibby, Miller and a resigned Peja eating 75% of the cap, we will have no way to really get better, or better enough to be a true contender.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Staff member
If by rebuilding you mean not contending for a season, then I don't think we'd be rebuilding right now with that team. And if we're rebuilding in two years, well at least we had a shot at winning while we still had Bibby, Peja, and Brad. Might want to put off the 'rebuilding' plans while we have three All-Stars on the roster. Yes I'm counting Mike Bibby as an All-Star. Unless you'd rather rebuild now and get it over with. I was just trying to demonstrate that we don't necessarily need to slip into mediocrity right away. We can still put together a competitive team with what we have.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
hrdboild said:
If by rebuilding you mean not contending for a season, then I don't think we'd be rebuilding right now with that team. And if we're rebuilding in two years, well at least we had a shot at winning while we still had Bibby, Peja, and Brad. Might want to put off the 'rebuilding' plans while we have three All-Stars on the roster. Yes I'm counting Mike Bibby as an All-Star. Unless you'd rather rebuild now and get it over with. I was just trying to demonstrate that we don't necessarily need to slip into mediocrity right away. We can still put together a competitive team with what we have.
We've got three borderline All-Stars on the team, which is a significant distinction. We have no Great players with a capital "G". No perennial studs. Just very good players that can get in the All Star game if their team wins and nobody ahead of them has a great season.

Meh, the core is still here. It's not like we expected Songaila or Mobley to do anything in any sort of important game anyway ... Songaila might have a hard time finding a better offer than what Kings gave him anyway. If I were Petrie, I'd offer him less than what he was making before he cut the contract.