The ONE AND ONLY Luka Doncic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So...is anyone going to start questioning Mark Cuban's training staff? Not that I have a horse in the race. In fact, if anything, I think a LOT of teams are guilty of putting their stars back onto the court too quickly.

This might be the tip of the iceberg of a much bigger problem.
Eh, seems like stepping on someone’s foot and rolling an ankle two separate times is a different ballpark than where the Kings are.

—-

This sounds like I could be taking a shot at someone (player-wise), which I’m not. Injuries happen. The frustrating part is we have no idea what the Kings injuries actually are at this point. From “Thigh Bruise (questionable)” to “Residual soreness” it’s just frustrating.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Eh, seems like stepping on someone’s foot and rolling an ankle two separate times is a different ballpark than where the Kings are.

—-

This sounds like I could be taking a shot at someone (player-wise), which I’m not. Injuries happen. The frustrating part is we have no idea what the Kings injuries actually are at this point. From “Thigh Bruise (questionable)” to “Residual soreness” it’s just frustrating.
Sorry, SLAB, but I think you're being myopic. We'll just have to agree to disagree and see what happens going forward.

Injuries related to maintenance are connected to a training staff, such as muscle strains and tears.

Injuries not related to maintenance, such as ankle rolls, a broken hand, dislocated finger, have nothing to do with a training staff.

Injuries such as a torn ACL or Achilles could be structural or related to maintenance issues, poor balance, overload, compensation.

The question would be, what could someone else have done to prevent the injury. For a muscle strain it could be better recovery, stretching, improved strength, conditioning.

You can’t really prevent an ankle roll beforehand.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Injuries related to maintenance are connected to a training staff, such as muscle strains and tears.

Injuries not related to maintenance, such as ankle rolls, a broken hand, dislocated finger, have nothing to do with a training staff.

Injuries such as a torn ACL or Achilles could be structural or related to maintenance issues, poor balance, overload, compensation.

The question would be, what could someone else have done to prevent the injury. For a muscle strain it could be better recovery, stretching, improved strength, conditioning.

You can’t really prevent an ankle roll beforehand.
Fair points. Thank you.

One question in all seriousness? Can an ankle roll be more likely if the ankle isn't as strong as it should/could be?

Well, last time Doncic looked like he snapped his ankle in half, and he only missed 4 games.

Bagley has already missed I think 34 games and I just saw that it will be three more weeks before his current injury is even re-evaluated. Every time we hear that from the Kings staff, it seems to be multiple weeks after that before the player actually returns.

Fair points. Thank you.

One question in all seriousness? Can an ankle roll be more likely if the ankle isn't as strong as it should/could be?
In this scenario I don't think so. Stepping on someone's foot on a drive is like coming down on someone's foot on 3pter. Not really much you can do. The weight/velocity is too much.

In my experience stronger ankles offer more support/balance in situations like a step back jumper. When you're planting on the floor you're more stable. Better foundation. Can also help acceleration on drives as the foot you're exploding off is stronger and transfers power quicker.

On the plus side, the more you sprain an ankle the more flexible the ligaments become, so future strains are less severe. That's until you break something of course...

My previous post btw includes a scenario such as Bagley's broken thumb. That is an unpreventable circumstance. There are no thumb strengthening exercises which will prevent a bone from breaking due to extreme force. There is no trainer who could prevent Shaq from breaking Bjax's thumb on a swipe. If someone wants to question the King's medical team, it's for clearing Bagley for 37 mins on a sprained foot where he hasn't played since. That he sprained his foot is largely unpreventable. It's not a hamstring. It's not a quad. It's not a calf.

I have my opinions on Bagley but the injury prone talk is erroneous at this point. He's not suffering preventable injures, just as Luka's ankle isn't preventable.

Fan calls into grants show just now and says that the kings have to draft our generational player, curry, antentekoupo, nowitzki......and grant cuts in and says the kings may already have that generational player on our team already. Then grant says with curry it took time to develop him. No mention that that generational player in the draft was passed up, and luka hasn’t needed that time to develop. He has stepped in and set this league on fire.

Fan calls into grants show just now and says that the kings have to draft our generational player, curry, antentekoupo, nowitzki......and grant cuts in and says the kings may already have that generational player on our team already. Then grant says with curry it took time to develop him. No mention that that generational player in the draft was passed up, and luka hasn’t needed that time to develop. He has stepped in and set this league on fire.
Yeah, but who's the "generational player" on the team Grant was implying? It could be one of two people, and one I find significantly more hilarious than the other.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, but who's the "generational player" on the team Grant was implying? It could be one of two people, and one I find significantly more hilarious than the other.
I'm guessing it's Fox and not Bagley - for the simple reason Grant seems to be sidling towards the edge of the Bagley bus lately...but I could easily be mistaken. When I listen to Grant for very long, this is what I hear:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm guessing it's Fox and not Bagley - for the simple reason Grant seems to be sidling towards the edge of the Bagley bus lately...but I could easily be mistaken. When I listen to Grant for very long, this is what I hear:

On snap; Grant might be even slightly wavering on Bagley? It’s been a little (probably a month or so) but last I heard him he was still saying “He’ll have his jersey hanging in the rafters!”

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
On snap; Grant might be even slightly wavering on Bagley? It’s been a little (probably a month or so) but last I heard him he was still saying “He’ll have his jersey hanging in the rafters!”
Note the "but I could easily be mistaken" part. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The boy is back. Tomorrow. Against the Kings. Because of course!
Maybe... Doncic is announcing that he'll play. Meanwhile, Rick Carlisle says:

Dallas coach Rick Carlisle told reporters that Doncic will be listed as either probable or questionable. Carlisle said Doncic is adamant that he wants to play Wednesday and in his All-Star obligations -- Friday's Rising Stars game and Sunday's All-Star Game.
- Yahoo Sports

You don't generally see a player making an announcement like that.

Watching luka play against the kings...........I just gotta shake my head and laugh! KANGZZZZ!

I woulda rather had him running the team instead of Fox. He looks like the real floor general.

I heard a good comparison the other day. What the kings did, it would have been like the warriors not drafting curry because they didn't want to take the ball out of monta ellis's hands.

From someone who saw the mavs postgame interview with luka:

Reporter said Walton has a beef with Doncic. Doncic and Walton were going back and forth on the sideline. Doncic said Walton said something to him, he didn’t like.
Doncic said eat this! I am going to own you and your team for the next 10 years.

I’ll put my money on luka all day. The kings are such a mess.
Luke played it off in the post game press conference saying he didn't say anything at all. Get em Luka lol

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Reporter said Walton has a beef with Doncic. Doncic and Walton were going back and forth on the sideline. Doncic said Walton said something to him, he didn’t like.
Doncic said eat this! I am going to own you and your team for the next 10 years.

Lmao. & It’s so true. What a disaster getting #2 turned out to be. Life would be so much easier if they stayed put at 7 (or whatever it was supposed to be).

Well at this rate Walton's not gonna have a team for 2 years let alone 10

Status
Not open for further replies.