The ONE AND ONLY Luka Doncic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can do things that nobody else in your generation can do (or less than, say, three other players in your generation can do), then you're a generational talent. And no, the criteria definitely isn't "perennial All-Star." LaMarcus Aldridge is a perennial All-Star, but there are forty guys in the league that can do what he does, given the same usage rate. He might not be the best power forward in the state of Texas.

From my point of view, the only reasonable question with respect to whether or not Doncic is a generational talent is, what generation do you put him in? I mean, if you consider him and LeBron James to be in the same generation then, yeah, it'd be hard to argue that he's a generational talent. But I would say that that was using the term incorrectly.
I agree that generational talent is a higher standard than perennial All-Star. "Best of his type of player during the time he played" is, I think, what you're talking about. That's reasonable.

I haven't seen a lot of Doncic, but enough basketball-knowledgeable people have said he's the real deal, and I see no reason to argue. I've thought of him as a potential generational player since he joined the league. I just want to see more of his career before I drop the word "potential".

26/15/7 and a WIN over the Raptors.
The win was mainly on Doncic/Maxi Klebier he's a game changer, locked down Siakam and forced him into a ton of turnovers I knew as soon as i seen him starting and getting extended minutes instead of Powell they would win. In the word of the great philosopher Nate Diaz "I ain't surprised mother............"

Mavs need to understand they will win/loss depending on how Maxi defends while Doncic/Zinger do what they do. If Powell had remained injured the Mavs would have had a way better W/L.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The win was mainly on Doncic/Maxi Klebier he's a game changer, locked down Siakam and forced him into a ton of turnovers I knew as soon as i seen him starting and getting extended minutes instead of Powell they would win. In the word of the great philosopher Nate Diaz "I ain't surprised mother............"

Mavs need to understand they will win/loss depending on how Maxi defends while Doncic/Zinger do what they do. If Powell had remained injured the Mavs would have had a way better W/L.
While I feel like you may be overstating Kleiber’s importance I can agree that Dwight Powell is so bad that I can see how you’d feel that way.
He’s like a shorter, less athletic, slightly better at shooting version of Willie that keeps getting big contracts for no reason in particular.

Uh, KD - Steph - Klay trio won championship. Lebron - Kyrie won championship. Lebron - Wade won championship. Harden - Paul were in serious contention. KD - Westbrook were in serious contention.

I dont know what is satire in that. Teams that had multiple all stars/all nba players were succesful. If you look at the past champions, they had multiple all stars in their roster. Thats not satire, thats facts.
Yeah, but the original statement wasn’t about championships, it was a statement of how well they co-existed, and it’s well known that none of the above pairings got along well with the exception of real life best friends Lebron and Wade. Sorry, it just seemed so obvious as to be tongue-in-cheek. Would have never guessed it was made in earnest.

While I feel like you may be overstating Kleiber’s importance I can agree that Dwight Powell is so bad that I can see how you’d feel that way.
He’s like a shorter, less athletic, slightly better at shooting version of Willie that keeps getting big contracts for no reason in particular.
You will come around to Maxi in time but yeah I see you understand my pain in regards to Powell.

Yeah, but the original statement wasn’t about championships, it was a statement of how well they co-existed, and it’s well known that none of the above pairings got along well with the exception of real life best friends Lebron and Wade. Sorry, it just seemed so obvious as to be tongue-in-cheek. Would have never guessed it was made in earnest.
Im not sure I even understand you right now. You are actually arguing that its hard to have two all stars in the same team because they dont get along well? I dont know what else to say other than every year in this league almost every good team has multiple all stars. It happens in a lot of teams, it works well in a lot of teams and its basically required for your team to be good.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Im not sure I even understand you right now. You are actually arguing that its hard to have two all stars in the same team because they dont get along well? I dont know what else to say other than every year in this league almost every good team has multiple all stars. It happens in a lot of teams, it works well in a lot of teams and its basically required for your team to be good.
No, what Sactown ExPat is saying is that the particular examples you listed were pretty much of pairs that absolutely hated each others' guts. Seemingly the only failed star pairings you left off your list were Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Whoever.

No, what Sactown ExPat is saying is that the particular examples you listed were pretty much of pairs that absolutely hated each others' guts. Seemingly the only failed star pairings you left off your list were Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Whoever.
Oh ok. Hard to say wether they "hated" each others but at least they were all quite succesfull. My original response was to this:

And therein lies the crux of the issue...how many 2-way All-Star SG (or big PG) are going to be cool with never initiating the offense or probably even closing games?
In todays league all stars are looking for another all stars to team up with. Lebron and Wade coexisted well. Lebron and Kyrie won the finals but Kyrie wanted to be the leader of his own team, a year goes by and he apologizes to Lebron and now Kyrie teamed up with another superstar. KD and Westbrook were succesful but KD wanted to team up with even more all stars. My point is: its not hard to get high level players to play in the same team, actually it helps your chances to get one if you already have one.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The entire Mavs roster around Luka is bad enough that he's on his way to a fifty-point night against a thoroughly uninspiring Spurs squad and yet it still feels like San Antonio is going to have a chance to come back.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Gets his ankles broken by decidedly unspectacular Dejounte Murray on one end, immediately turns around and dribble drive passes to JJ for the buzzer beater 3. Luka on full display.

I’ve stayed out of the luka/bagley debates since the draft. But did we ever get any reasoning besides not wanting to take the ball out of fox’s hands? I mean, how do you just pass on talent for such an odd reason?
Vlade or Blade as my autocorrect insists I call him said quite bluntly that Marv was the better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.