The official KEEP RICK ADELMAN thread

Gary said:
I like Adelman as much as the next guy, but if we are rebuilding after this year than I can't see us keeping him. If we move towards a defensive team I can see us getting a defensive minded coach.

Seriously, I think the only guy from the starting lineup that is going to stay is Artest, and maybe Miller or Bibby. I can see us shopping one of them this summer. Wells will be gone, and Martin will take his place. We will probally have SAR come off the bench if we keep both SAR, and KT (because KT seems to do better when he starts, and SAR erforms off the bench better than KT).

If that plays out than I cannot see us keeping Adelman.
I'm not sure if Adelman is our coach next year or not. I'm inclined to think so since he has clicked with Artest so far, although it wouldn't surprise me if the malloofs try to grab a big name in the offseason (Don Nelson?) since it seems they like getting their hands dirty in those kind of matters.

Before Artest came, I was leaning towards replacing Adelman, as it seemed like his players had just plain quit on him. But with a bit more reflection, I think that he has played the hand he was dealt rather well. He has had his team completely torn apart over the last year and has had to fit new players into the system and deal with what seems like an unusual amount of injury.

Which leads me to my next point: this is our rebuilding year. We can't afford to keep shuffling our line-up every year. If we could find a way to keep our starting line-up (Bibby, Wells, Miller, SAR, Artest), and keep them healthy, I'd say that we would be a major threat in the west next year. I would like to see Skinner or Corliss dealt to free up some salary to make a competitive offer for Wells. Thomas can be kept, but he should come off the bench, SAR is a better player and has been consistent. Until Thomas can prove that he can make a move to the basket without traveling and score consistently, then he should be a back-up. Just because a guy thinks he should start doesn't automatically make him our best option at PF.

We need to improve our bench, not our starting line-up. Martin should stay on the bench. Him and Garcia are the new Bobby Jackson. Aquire a couple of role players in the off-season and I think that we'll be just fine.

Artest made a nice point in an interview the other day which reminded me of something that I've thought about the Oakland A's. He said something to the effect that losing can become a habit. Recently the Kings have been in the habit of losing; they're accustomed to it. That habit needs to be broken. I completely agree with him. If you look at the Oakland A's system as a whole, they win at every level, which is why they have been such a competitive team over the last six years (including their own rebuilding phase last year). It's not a direct parallel, but I think the concept of losing becoming a habit is a very valid idea.

Hopefully we break the habit.

Last edited:
SacTownKid said:
Different situations. I don't think Rick was the right coach for the other team of players we had. If we get him defensive stoppers then he looks a lot different. Is he the right coach for this team? Maybe. Maybe not. Right now he is the coach and I will stick by him. Even if his substitution patterns cause me to pull my hair out! ;)
This is exactly what I was trying to say in another thread. It's not that I think he is a bad coach. In fact I think he is a good coach... I just think that when we win it seems people, myself included, think about all of the great qualities he possesses, and when we lose we/I focus on his negative coaching habbits including his substitution patterns. I will go on record and say I think we should try to re-up his contract, which would help him focus on coaching and coaching only.

I think Coach Adelman is a must keep. Whether he wants to say is another matter.

If I was one of the Maloofs, I would do everything possible to sign Adelman long term. I would leave no stone unturned.

With so many "troubled" characters on our team, Adelman becomes more vital than ever before. Oh and he is a bloody fine coach as well.

Adelman seems to be the only coach, besides perhaps Phil Jackson that would be able to keep Artest in check. If Artest is able to get everybody on the same page defensively, he may just be Adelman's saviour after this season. Adelman, please stay.

Last edited:
RA is my favorite (probably most underrated coach in NBA) coach but I think hes done with kings...going trough one more process of rebuilding with limited power (not having impact on trade decisions) is too much for Rick.....btw few weeks ago, on NBA TV Peter Vecsey said that Rick has very good sense of humor??????....can you imagine Rick joking?....I can’t

I'm stating the obvious here, but what it comes down to is: Is there anyone better out there? If we think there may be, then we have an obligation to the team to look into it (as was the case with Phil Jackson). If not, then we have the best coach for our team and we shouldn't even be thinking about not keeping him.

Given what he's done with our team throughout the years, and given the lack of better options out there, he is the best coach for our team right now. We should keep him. If the team changes drastically or if a better option becomes available, then I'm sure TPTB will re-evaluate. But... I can't think of anyone better for this team (given our current state and the direction we seem to be heading), so I say KEEP HIM. Let's re-sign the man and start working our way back to the top.

This, of course, assumes that Rick WILL want to re-sign, but that's a different story...

I enjoyed it more when "extend Rick's contract" was a contrarian view, but yeah... I'll sign the petition. I've always felt lucky to have Adelman.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PFFFT!! said:
Ill wait until April rolls around before I make my decision. A bit early.
A bit early, only if you want to make sure he walks...

NOW is when you approach Adelman, hat in hand, apologize for the blunder of last summer, and make a genuine offer for the next several years.

He's a lame-duck coach right now, and yet he's handled the whole situation with so much class that most don't even remember that little fact.

With everything he's been handed, including all the excessive drama of the past couple of seasons AND the usual array of injuries, you do not wait to see if the Kings make the playoffs. If you do, you lose Rick Adelman.

If the Maloofs seriously want to keep him around for the next few years, they had better make some serious overtures very soon.

starks said:
RA is my favorite (probably most underrated coach in NBA) coach but I think hes done with kings...going trough one more process of rebuilding with limited power (not having impact on trade decisions) is too much for Rick.....btw few weeks ago, on NBA TV Peter Vecsey said that Rick has very good sense of humor??????....can you imagine Rick joking?....I can’t
Actually he is hilarious, but it a very dry wit and mentioned. The problem is, some people think he's being serious, when he is really being quite witty. He often cracks me up. I like subtle, witty humor.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
kennadog said:
Actually he is hilarious, but it a very dry wit and mentioned. The problem is, some people think he's being serious, when he is really being quite witty. He often cracks me up. I like subtle, witty humor.
Agreed. Sometimes it's like being in the movie theater and laughing out loud before anyone else 'cause you're the only one who gets the joke. You really have to pay attention to what he says and how he says it, because you'll miss the jabs he throws.

VF21 said:
A bit early, only if you want to make sure he walks...

NOW is when you approach Adelman, hat in hand, apologize for the blunder of last summer, and make a genuine offer for the next several years.

He's a lame-duck coach right now, and yet he's handled the whole situation with so much class that most don't even remember that little fact.

With everything he's been handed, including all the excessive drama of the past couple of seasons AND the usual array of injuries, you do not wait to see if the Kings make the playoffs. If you do, you lose Rick Adelman.

If the Maloofs seriously want to keep him around for the next few years, they had better make some serious overtures very soon.
If we lose him, it aint the end of the world. There are others out there or that will be available. ;)

S

SK23

I don't think Adelman is the right fit for this team. This team is moving towards a new direction and I think if we are going to move on then we should let Adelman go too. We need a new fresh start with a coach that will push his players to play tough hard defense.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Kingsgurl said:
I'm not sure coaches who push their players are really Ron's cup of tea. Adelman is probably the perfect fit for Ron.
That's my biggest concern - if we're going to keep Artest, we need to keep a coach that won't cause him fits and knows how to win games. I'm not sure how many out there can do both. Frankly, with such a short time span, I'm not sure if Rick is that guy, either, but early results seem somewhat positive in that respect. He knows how to win games and he seems to get along OK with Ron, at least so far, and everyone seems to be saying the right things.

Adelman put the ball in Artest's hands and has made him the focal point of the team late in games. After not seeing eye to eye with Rick Carlisle on Ron's role in the Pacers offense, I would have to say that Artest is loving playing for Adelman right now. Don't underestimate that.
The bottom line complaint about Adelman has been the team's poor defense. If that continues to improve as it has lately, than what other complaint can you come up with?

SK23 said:
I don't think Adelman is the right fit for this team. This team is moving towards a new direction and I think if we are going to move on then we should let Adelman go too. We need a new fresh start with a coach that will push his players to play tough hard defense.
Well, Adelman coached one of the best, if not THE best, defensive team in the league in 02-03.

I don't mean to get all Bill Walton on everyone, but Rick Adelman is the most underrated coach in the HISTORY of the NBA!!!!!

I watched the Kings lose year after year with coaches like Phil Johnson, Jerry Reynolds, Dick Motta, Bill Russell, Gary St. Jean (whatever happened to that guy anyway), and many others. RA is the only winning coach in Sacramento history!! We could not do better at this point in time. Give RA time to work with what we have on the offensive side of the ball and this team will be back in the top 5 teams in the NBA. EXTEND HIM TODAY.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
While I agree with Keep Adelman in general, one thought gnaws away at that: Has not Jerry Sloan now overstayed his tenure in Salt Lake? That makes me think that in this day and age of NBA players, is there some point, that no matter how good a coach is, the players listen less and less and become less likely to take to heart what the coach is saying and letting them do.

Then there is old school vs. new school (what ever the hell THAT is) or thought that what Adelman let his teams of the 98-04 do may not work with this new crew. Sure we see some glimmer of good games but the injuries and new players make for an extremely difficult situation for any coach.

That then leads us to Deja Vu all over again. As much as most of us like and want Adelman, IF he was to go, who would be a good follow-on? Definitely not Jackson. But who? He has produced some really good coaches from his assistants: Jordan, Scott, Porter, etc. But could any of them or anyone else do better considering the circumstances? I doubt it.

So I support Coach fully. Wonder if the Maloof's support him 100%?

CruzDude said:
While I agree with Keep Adelman in general, one thought gnaws away at that: Has not Jerry Sloan now overstayed his tenure in Salt Lake? That makes me think that in this day and age of NBA players, is there some point, that no matter how good a coach is, the players listen less and less and become less likely to take to heart what the coach is saying and letting them do.
When a second year player is the third longest tenured player on the team, that shouldn't be an issue. The mix as changed and it looks for the better.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
whozit said:
When a second year player is the third longest tenured player on the team, that shouldn't be an issue. The mix as changed and it looks for the better.
Word.

CruzDude said:

Then there is old school vs. new school (what ever the hell THAT is) or thought that what Adelman let his teams of the 98-04 do may not work with this new crew. Sure we see some glimmer of good games but the injuries and new players make for an extremely difficult situation for any coach.

That then leads us to Deja Vu all over again. As much as most of us like and want Adelman, IF he was to go, who would be a good follow-on? Definitely not Jackson. But who? He has produced some really good coaches from his assistants: Jordan, Scott, Porter, etc. But could any of them or anyone else do better considering the circumstances? I doubt it.

So I support Coach fully. Wonder if the Maloof's support him 100%?
The Jazz would be a 12 win team with a coach other than Jerry Sloan. It's funny, cuz I live in Utah and a ton of people complain about Sloan being too old school or that his players don't listen to him any more. He get's more out of the group of scrubs they have here than anyone could possibly imagine. Anyway, give Rick an extension.

S

SK23

kennadog said:
Well, Adelman coached one of the best, if not THE best, defensive team in the league in 02-03.
That was because we had players back then that already knew how to play defense. Trust me on this, Rick does not care or know anything about defense!!! Adelman's game plan is to put a bunch of scorers out there and try to win the game by outscoring the team. Just look at the past few games we played. Brian Skinner is probably the best defensive center on our team and he can't even start over a injured Shareef. We need a coach who can get their team to play team defense and rotate much like the Pacers coach [SIZE=-1]Rick Carlisle. [/SIZE]

SK23 said:
That was because we had players back then that already knew how to play defense. Trust me on this, Rick does not care or know anything about defense!!! Adelman's game plan is to put a bunch of scorers out there and try to win the game by outscoring the team. Just look at the past few games we played. Brian Skinner is probably the best defensive center on our team and he can't even start over a injured Shareef. We need a coach who can get their team to play team defense and rotate much like the Pacers coach [SIZE=-1]Rick Carlisle. [/SIZE]
And you don't think the players a coach has on his roster make any difference? And why should I trust you on this? Has Rick personally told you his coaching philosophy?:confused:

S

SK23

kennadog said:
And you don't think the players a coach has on his roster make any difference? And why should I trust you on this? Has Rick personally told you his coaching philosophy?:confused:
Dude, Rick Adelman stated that he wanted this roster in the begining of the season. If he wasn't willing to work with this roster then he would of told GP to do something about it. I mean you witnessed it against the Utah Jazz. When Shareef was in the game Okur was scoring but as soon as Skinner came in Okur's offense was completely shut down and Skinner forced him to a shot clock violation like 2 times. I mean we have some good pieces here but we our coach isn't willing to use them because they don't know how to shoot three pointers. Maybe we need to start getting centers who can shoot threes and suck at defense. :rolleyes: Or maybe we can get a new coach!!!! :mad: