The OAO thread about Grant Napear's podcast

Thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure to never, ever listen to it.
I listed to the first one because he said he was going address everything. He did not. He just shared how his dad helped black people and how he was never given a chance to share his side. He did not call anyone out specifically, but he thanked people specifically. So you could read a lot into that if you so chose. He said he learned a lot about words like "woke" which he had never heard before. That willful ignorance for a person in the media dealing with the NBA. It was not what I was expecting at all. He never mentioned Boogie, he never mentioned anyone w the Kings. He did drone on about how 90% of who he talks about are done paying to go to sports because of protests and politics. Seemed like a lot more telling on himself. It was weird. I doubt I listen again, especially since he's brining back "grants rant" when he started yelling about Bryce Harper for some reason I turned it off.

kb02

All-Star
Great podcast by Grant, a lot of people are tired of the politics and the ratings show the result of woke culture in sports
I think he did a decent job of containing his anger. Mentioned he now knows who his friends are. Didn't mention Doug, Vlade, Carmichael Dave, Jerry, Kate...Not sure if it's a thing or not.

As for politics, there's a certain threshold. Where that threshold is, that's for each person to decide.

That said, I'm glad he's back. Since he's no longer anchored to the team, will be interesting to hear his insights.

I think he did a decent job of containing his anger. Mentioned he now knows who his friends are. Didn't mention Doug, Vlade, Carmichael Dave, Jerry, Kate...Not sure if it's a thing or not.

As for politics, there's a certain threshold. Where that threshold is, that's for each person to decide.

That said, I'm glad he's back. Since he's no longer anchored to the team, will be interesting to hear his insights.
I grew up listening to Grant and I am also real glad he is back. Im actually happy hes independently hosting his own podcasts instead of being anchored down to just the kings.

I thought his rant on Bryce Harper was actually hilarious too

Great podcast by Grant, a lot of people are tired of the politics and the ratings show the result of woke culture in sports
I listened to it yesterday, because I was curious to hear what he’d say. I actually thought he came off ok. I actually agreed with a lot of what he said, even though I’m far from big fan of his.

The podcast was much shorter than I expected it to be. Something like 35 minutes or so.

To be fair, I think he was just mentioning people that went to bat for him in mainstream and local media like Breton, New York Post writers, and he even thanked Bill Maher. Maybe a few non public figure friends because I didn’t know who a few of the people he mentioned were. I think he was going to try to keep people currently employed by the Kings or KHTK out of it no matter if he felt they had his back or not. I mean Grant, who kept it civil in regards to Maloofs to the very end, understands the game better than anybody. He wouldn’t be doing any current Kings or KHTK employees any good mentioning their support or lack thereof. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if he had issue with Doug because listening to Doug the day of with Jason Ross, I would probably be ticked if I was in Grants shoes.

I remember Dave being openly against this but that was the day it happened. I haven’t listened to KHTK since the day they fired Grant and won’t, so maybe his tune changed since then but I wouldn’t assume that people not mentioned by name are in the category of phony friends to Grant.

I listened to it yesterday, because I was curious to hear what he’d say. I actually thought he came off ok. I actually agreed with a lot of what he said, even though I’m far from big fan of his.

The podcast was much shorter than I expected it to be. Something like 35 minutes or so.
I was expecting a longer podcast myself, but thats just because im used to his 90+ minute kings podcasts lol

I listened to Grant’s podcast this afternoon and like you found most of what he said agreeable. It was nicely done IMO and I’m not a rant fan in general and can’t stand to listen to Jim Rome.

I do find it interesting that comments on Grants podcast have been shuffled over here where they are hard to see. Previous posts about Grants firing were quickly closed.

what do the moderators have to say about that?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I listened to Grant’s podcast this afternoon and like you found most of what he said agreeable. It was nicely done IMO and I’m not a rant fan in general and can’t stand to listen to Jim Rome.

I do find it interesting that comments on Grants podcast have been shuffled over here where they are hard to see. Previous posts about Grants firing were quickly closed.

Here's what this moderator has to say about it: The comments about Grant's podcast (and perhaps Grant's podcast itself, I haven't listened) seem to be more about politics than about sports.

This is a sports website, and not a politics website, and there are good reasons for that. If folks would like to discuss the politics of Grant's podcast, or the current sport-political situation, they may discuss it elsewhere. There are plenty of places to do so.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Mod Hat on]

There's nothing to say. This isn't rocket science: posts about Napear's podcast were moved to the #NBA folder because Grant Napear no longer works for the Kings. #OffTheCourt is for Kings-related off the court discussion. Discussion of Napear's podcast belongs either here, or in #General. I mean, sorry you don't get to have every discussion topic that interests you in one spot, for your convenience?

If there appears to be enough interest in Napear's podcast to continue discussing the non-political aspects of it, I'll go ahead and split it back into its own thread. But, if it turns out to be more general sports-related than basketball specific, #General is probably where it's headed.

[Mod Hat off]

Here's what this moderator has to say about it: The comments about Grant's podcast (and perhaps Grant's podcast itself, I haven't listened) seem to be more about politics than about sports.

This is a sports website, and not a politics website, and there are good reasons for that. If folks would like to discuss the politics of Grant's podcast, or the current sport-political situation, they may discuss it elsewhere. There are plenty of places to do so.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate all the work you and the other Moderators do to keep this site going.

For many years my favorite sports to watch has been Kings basketball. We had partial season tickets during the early 2000's then the finances were redirected when the babies came so I turned to TV.

Grant and Jerry filled my sports viewing with their brand of commentating. Grant is a New Yorker and they are often brash so while not my style I accepted it along with Jerry's home spun wit. IMO they made a nice duo. To sum it up I loved those guys work on the games.

Grant on KHTK was another matter. He covered the Kings so I often listened during the season or if there was a trade or a signing. I often disagreed with his takes and usually turned off the rants. I figured Grant had a radio personality schtick and was doing his thing. I exercised my freedom to listen when I wanted and also to not listen at times.

So for me Grants firing was a big deal. IMO from a sports perspective he had done a good job. His charity work has shown he is a good citizen IMO. So of course I think his firing was not justified. Hey my sports viewing is being affected.

IMO the threads about this event affecting the Kings Basketball telecasts were too brief as they were locked in like 3 days.

Now the news of his podcast is being redirected to "comments that don't warrant a thread". For me this seems to trivialize a long sportscasting career that brought joy to many.

I have written this as a way of explaining my previous comments. I'm not mad, just don't think it is right.

So I understand Charles Barkley will be his guest on his Friday podcast. I for one will listen.

Link to GN's former charity event--> http://futurefoundationsacramento.org/golf/

Last edited:
I liked the podcast. The interview with Charles Barkley was good and he does make a lot of good points.

Sounds like grant has got some NDA signed with the king's tbh. Hes barely mentioned them and he was totally against the firing of Vlade.

T

The Sacramento Bee

Napear addressed rumors about his “fractured” relationship with Christie in response to a question from a listener on the “If You Don’t Like That with Grant Napear” podcast. Christie, another former Kings player, worked with Napear on television and radio in Sacramento. I’ve seen many people ask this question, and I’m just like, ‘Why duck it?

Continue reading...

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Napear addressed rumors about his “fractured” relationship with Christie in response to a question from a listener on the “If You Don’t Like That with Grant Napear” podcast. Christie, another former Kings player, worked with Napear on television and radio in Sacramento. I’ve seen many people ask this question, and I’m just like, ‘Why duck it?

Continue reading...
The pertinent quotes from the article:

“I’ll answer the question, Max, this way, and it’s something I have ingrained in my head from this summer’s events. MLK Jr. said this: ‘In the end, we’ll remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.’ Basically (that) says comments from your enemies may hurt, right? That’s what that saying by MLK Jr. means, right? Comments from your enemies may hurt. However, the hurt from friends not standing by and supporting you is forever remembered. Now, I would like to just take all of that and succinctly sum it up in just one word, and that one word is coward.”

Christie addressed his relationship with Napear on radio the day Napear was fired.

“A lot of people grew up on Grant,” Christie said. “As I said, I’ve got mad love and respect for Grant. On this particular instance, and what we’re talking about, and it’s not the first time Grant and I disagreed, and that’s OK. ... We could agree to disagree.”
He called DC a "coward"? I think Grant can go suck eggs on this one. If a friend does something you strongly disagree with, that doesn't mean you have to publicly support that position.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Continue reading...
A live look at Grant Napear recording the latest episode of his podcast:

Jerry on his show tomorrow.
I’m really not sure if I’m ready to see jolly ol Jerry turn into grouchy old conservative minded Jerry in this one. I don’t imagine grant would bring him on the show if they had a difference of opinions on this and I really don’t need to hear Jerry insensitively beat the “all lives matter” drum like his former co host...

Grant didn’t get fired because of one tweet. His problem is not Doug Christie; it’s staring at him from the mirror. His recent comments are gross.
Gross and tone deaf in a moment where all he had to do was not put his foot in his mouth, what’d he do? You guessed it. I know plenty that are uncomfortable with the politics coming into play in basketball recently but put your party hat aside, if you cannot empathize with athletes you live/work around that many days out of the calendar year then we can find another voice of Kings basketball. Sacramento is enough of a “basketball hell” location on its own merit, the last thing we need to be known for is housing and supporting that loud obnoxious play by play guy that drove many a stars out of Sacramento. Good damn riddance and I mean that

Gross and tone deaf in a moment where all he had to do was not put his foot in his mouth, what’d he do? You guessed it. I know plenty that are uncomfortable with the politics coming into play in basketball recently but put your party hat aside, if you cannot empathize with athletes you live/work around that many days out of the calendar year then we can find another voice of Kings basketball. Sacramento is enough of a “basketball hell” location on its own merit, the last thing we need to be known for is housing and supporting that loud obnoxious play by play guy that drove many a stars out of Sacramento. Good damn riddance and I mean that
While I disagree with Grant's comments about Doug (I mean by that same account, wasn't Grant a coward for years for never speaking up about the ineptitude of the front office?) but to paint it as if he didn't empathize with the athletes he worked with is a pretty broad stoke and completely unfounded. You don't have to fully agree with the movement to have empathy for others and you don't lack empathy if you don't agree with everything about the movement.