Updated info on Grant Napear's lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is straying into the territory that @funkykingston was warning us off earlier. As I understand it, the All Lives Matter comment and how he responded to criticism of it afterwards is what caused his dismissal. A lot of people have written about this topic extensively elsewhere... I don't think we need to re-hash that conversation here. It may be more cultural misunderstanding than malicious intent in Grant's case, but I don't know the man so I don't want to speculate further than that.
I hear what you're saying. I don't know what his response to the criticism was but his original comment on it's face is a good thing. If some people take it as something different, then that's on them. Our words have real meaning and I don't think it's right for anyone to apply their own meaning to other people's words and then fire them for it. If they want to fire the man for being racist, that's fine but I'd like to see proof of his racist comments because so far all I've seen is an anti racist statement that other people somehow interpreted as racist. That makes no sense to me.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I hear what you're saying. I don't know what his response to the criticism was but his original comment on it's face is a good thing. If some people take it as something different, then that's on them. Our words have real meaning and I don't think it's right for anyone to apply their own meaning to other people's words and then fire them for it. If they want to fire the man for being racist, that's fine but I'd like to see proof of his racist comments because so far all I've seen is an anti racist statement that other people somehow interpreted as racist. That makes no sense to me.
I think there's a little more nuance to this than just what's on the surface. Even without making an overtly racist statement it's possible to convey a lack of sympathy or just a plain stubbornness and inability to appreciate that there are other points of view besides our own and they're worth listening to. I would encourage you to do a little research on this subject since you feel so strongly about it. There's some interesting arguments for and against what you're expressing here. Or if you want, send me a PM and we can discuss it. :)

I think there's a little more nuance to this than just what's on the surface. Even without making an overtly racist statement it's possible to convey a lack of sympathy or just a plain stubbornness and inability to appreciate that there are other points of view besides our own and they're worth listening to. I would encourage you to do a little research on this subject since you feel so strongly about it. There's some interesting arguments for and against what you're expressing here. Or if you want, send me a PM and we can discuss it. :)
I agree but that point goes both ways as well. I did plenty of research after the fact, which is why I still adamantly disagree with the decision. Despite despising the man they did it to. Kind of a weird situation but I do respect rights over my dislike for certain individuals. Ah well, guess we'll see what happens in court. Take care.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
You missed out on Kayte constantly reminding us that the Kings would’ve won had we just scored more points
And I’ll take that 100% over Howdy Doody just saying “Bibby, Webber, Webber, Christie” over and over again, and reminding us every technical to “remember that point”.

Seriously, Jones in particular is head and shoulders better than him, and Draper is a bit annoying but still better as well. Kayte works well with both and actually tries to explain what’s going on instead of just repeating names ad nauseam (in between the incessant repetition of the story of how he actually was the announcer for LBJ’s first NBA game).

I get it, announcers are a subjective thing. But thank goodness we don’t have to listen to and watch Grant any more. It’s a breath of fresh air.

And I’ll take that 100% over Howdy Doody just saying “Bibby, Webber, Webber, Christie” over and over again, and reminding us every technical to “remember that point”.

Seriously, Jones in particular is head and shoulders better than him, and Draper is a bit annoying but still better as well. Kayte works well with both and actually tries to explain what’s going on instead of just repeating names ad nauseam (in between the incessant repetition of the story of how he actually was the announcer for LBJ’s first NBA game).

I get it, announcers are a subjective thing. But thank goodness we don’t have to listen to and watch Grant any more. It’s a breath of fresh air.
Sounds like you have a personal vendetta against Napear lol

Sorry but Grant was always at the top of the league for announcing. Ya I get that some people didn't like him or the whole Maloof thing, but that doesn't mean he didn't do his job at the highest level.

https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/nba-local-announcer-rankings-2024.html

10. Sacramento Kings – 2.268
Play-by-play: Mark Jones, Kyle Draper

Analyst: Kayte Christensen

Most common score: B (36.04% of votes)

Previous rankings: 3 (2016 Grant and Jerry), 10 (2020 Grant and Doug)

Previous scores: 2.92 (2016), 2.52 (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.