The 'keep Francisco' Thread

seriously. I think this kid is an insurance policy. At times during the season he looked like AK with a jumpshot. Plays tenacious defense, has decent court vision, he has potential to be big. So Geoff, please don't trade him!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Er...ok.

Thing is I don't think there is any particular desire TO trade him, unless it be for a major piece in which case you make the trade and don't think twice about it. Not liek there's much danger of him beign dumped for a box of Cheese-Its.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
AriesMar27 said:
uhh.... why would we lose him?
I can't think of any good reason to lose him but it seems like he's constantly showing up in all these improbable trade scenarios.

yup exactly. everybody here seems to throw him in as filler. I think he will be way better than that. They should use Sergei as giller, not Cisco.

trade scenarios are an inherent part of the dreaded off season. people are gonna throw much more wild ideas out there than adding francisco garcia as filler to gain a larger piece. i wouldn't sweat what people consider to be "filler."

Bricklayer

venom_7 said:
yup exactly. everybody here seems to throw him in as filler. I think he will be way better than that. They should use Sergei as giller, not Cisco.
He makes decent "filler" precisely because he can be a decent player. Some possible value there.

Much depends on Kevin/Bonzi. If both those guys are back, then minutes become very scarce for Cisco. And with a Ron/Bonzi/Kevin trio likely set for years, barring a major injury the minutes are more or less permanently scarce for him. Be a nice luxury to have there to fill in for minor injuries and whatnot, but if you either have Cisco at 10-12 min/gm pinned behind three guys, or you can use him as part of a trade to bring in a starting 35min/gm PF for instance, well clearly there is more value to the team in having that 35min/gm PF. Heck, if you could either have Micahel Jordan for 10-12 min/gm or a 35 min/gm upgrad at PF you are probably better off with the 35 min/gm guy.

Now on the other hand if Bonzi is not resigned, or if Kevin were moved or whatever, Cisco's value goes up to the team, as you are then looking at a 20-25 min/gm primary backup.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
venom_7 said:
seriously. I think this kid is an insurance policy. At times during the season he looked like AK with a jumpshot. Plays tenacious defense, has decent court vision, he has potential to be big. So Geoff, please don't trade him!
Geoff Petrie is the one who drafted him so I'm pretty sure he knows his strengths and weaknesses.

If we have to make a move to get a decent PF, we're gonna have to give up more than just scrubs and future draft picks. Sometimes you have to give up potential to get someone who can help NOW.

The Kings must keep Garcia. Look at the closest example, Kevin Martin. Trading Garcia now would be like throwing away a lottery ticket before scratching it all the way. The Kings need to develop Garcia more, if they do decide to trade him, they should wait until next off-season as his value is certain to rise with more experience and exposure.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Must keep? Look at Martin?

Sorry, but I think that's apples and oranges. We cannot expect to get better if we only offer Jason Hart and maybe Corliss' expiring contract in trade... People are funny that way. They tend to want something of real value in return.

;)

Bricklayer

NoBonus said:
The Kings must keep Garcia. Look at the closest example, Kevin Martin. Trading Garcia now would be like throwing away a lottery ticket before scratching it all the way. The Kings need to develop Garcia more, if they do decide to trade him, they should wait until next off-season as his value is certain to rise with more experience and exposure.

Again, it all depends on Bonzi/Kevin. If they are both back, there is no development. At least not at that level. No minutes. I'd like to see him back as a good insurance/roleplayer behind the Ron/Bonzi/Kevin trio, but you have to be realistic about what the minutes/impact are going to be in that scenario. Would have to become a reliable backup PG just to get 15 min/gm.

I see Garcia as a third or fourth string SF or SG, but the 2nd string PG. He showed flashes of greatness this season and can play three positions. I think my comparison to Martin is justified; he, like after Martin's rookie campaign, needs to become more consistant with his "A" game. If he does, he will be a versitile and skilled backup PG. He is a developing player who needs a little more work. If you trade him now he is salary filler and you will get little back for him.

VF21 said:
Must keep? Look at Martin?

Sorry, but I think that's apples and oranges. We cannot expect to get better if we only offer Jason Hart and maybe Corliss' expiring contract in trade... People are funny that way. They tend to want something of real value in return.

;)
I think the Kings can get better, but I don't think we must trade Garcia to do it... plus, if he improves, his trade value will increase significantly during the season.

i like cisco. he's got great versatility and has the potential to be an all-around contributor in this league, but i have to agree with several people that if his name crops up in trade talks that can improve the team, you have to pull the trigger. it'd be nice to keep him and develop him, but it'd also be a shame to see him get squeezed to the point that the only minutes he receives are garbagetime and injury-plagued replacement minutes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have faith in Petrie.

I'm not saying we will trade Garcia and I'm certainly not saying we MUST trade Garcia. What I'm saying is that he has enough value to be an added incentive in the right trade deal. And that's Petrie's decision to make. I do not put him on my list of MUST KEEP players. To be totally honest, I'm not even sure I have a MUST KEEP list any longer. There are those whose presence means a lot, but I've gotten over the whole "We have to keep _____" idea.

^indeed

the only kinds of players that are "must keeps" in the nba are superstars like lebron james, kobe bryant, dwayne wade, kevin garnett, tim duncan, etc. the rest are keepers if and only if there is no scenario in which you can improve your team by trading them, whether by addition or subtraction. for example, in indiana, trading down for peja stojakovic was an improvement because of artest's disruptive nature.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I have him on my must keep because I really think Garcia will flourish with Musselman's proposed changes if given the opportunity. Until we get the backup PG situation squared away he's also one of our best ball handlers. If anything another year might be the difference between trade sweetener and a guy with serious trade value. With all the expiring deals we have I just can't see a good reason to move him right now.

I like Garcia at the point. Before the trade for Ron my favorite lineup for a while was Garcia, Martin, Thomas, Skinner, and other. I remember thinking how quick we were. It was only for about 10 games due to injury but I felt it was fun to watch and while that combo was together they out scored the other team.