The Athletic's Jason Jones: Getting to the root of what Kings fans want beyond the box score

My introduction to Kings fans was awkward.

I was the Laker Fan.

That’s what happens when an NFL writer answers a question honestly and admits his favorite childhood team is the Los Angeles Lakers and says his favorite player is Magic Johnson in the bio on his job’s website and then gets moved over to the NBA beat.

In the nearly 10 years since, Kings fans have reminded me they will never get over the 2002 Western Conference Finals and I’ve proven I do not cover the Kings through purple and gold lenses (though the jokes will never end).

https://theathletic.com/536180/2018...of-what-kings-fans-want-beyond-the-box-score/

Well he was just the beat guy. Still he's not the Kings writer/correspondent that would get me to pay for premium content. Then again Kreidler is about the only person I miss and I'm not sure I'd pay for him either, but he'd at least be a checkmark in its favor.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I was one of those. His work never really impressed me (seemed like a lot of lazy writing and not much insight) and after years of reading Kreidler and SHC and Amick, he and Voison couldn't hold a candle to the quality I was used to from the Bee.

I took him to task once because the Kings were starting a season and he wrote an article about the Lakers, in the Bee, when they weren't playing each other. Seemed to validate my thoughts on the topic if nothing else.

Hope he really does find the time to provide more insight and better coverage now. Someone needs to.

https://theathletic.com/548369/2018...r-on-offense-and-defense-so-he-can-play-more/

I'll give Jones some credit, looks like he might actually finally be putting out content that everyone and their brother doesn't know already. I can't read the whole article but from the excerpt there he talks about a trainer saying Buddy's hips were way too tight and that hurt his mobility and lateral quickness. Said they stripped his body down and built it back up. Should be interesting to see how noticeable that is on the court this year.

https://theathletic.com/548369/2018...r-on-offense-and-defense-so-he-can-play-more/

I'll give Jones some credit, looks like he might actually finally be putting out content that everyone and their brother doesn't know already. I can't read the whole article but from the excerpt there he talks about a trainer saying Buddy's hips were way too tight and that hurt his mobility and lateral quickness. Said they stripped his body down and built it back up. Should be interesting to see how noticeable that is on the court this year.
I have the Athletic and I agree it was refreshing to see something out of Jones that aren't game recaps with a couple post game quotes. Article went into Buddy's summer regimen, he does look more cut up for sure. Will be interesting to see if he improves athletically.

He essentially says he didn't choose the assignment at the bee and his entire tenure was lazy. Sounds surprised that fans know something and want things resembling content. Inspired by new surroundings, promises change. I will leave some cookies by the fireplace in anticipation of this changed person.

He essentially says he didn't choose the assignment at the bee and his entire tenure was lazy. Sounds surprised that fans know something and want things resembling content. Inspired by new surroundings, promises change. I will leave some cookies by the fireplace in anticipation of this changed person.
That's not what he said at all. But ok. It's sport to attack him I guess.

Sounds like Jones is saying he was handcuffed by the Bee into just posting fluff clickbait stories and game recaps that were essentially just drawn out box scores with no real prudent information.
Was the Bee to blame for his half assed efforts? I never thought he wrote fluff pieces, but I always thought his pieces were uninspired and pretty lazy

This is the kind of stuff id love to read about!

That's not what he said at all. But ok. It's sport to attack him I guess.
Different ways to take it but that was how I read it. Reassigned to the Kings instead of NFL cause he said he liked the Lakers = he didn't choose it. Skipped over coaches post game comments = lazy. Excited to do better this time = new years resolution to lose weight. There might be a moderate sized improvement but it's still the same writer.

I didn't think my passive cynicism reached the threshold of an attack but if it did I don't really care.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Was the Bee to blame for his half assed efforts? I never thought he wrote fluff pieces, but I always thought his pieces were uninspired and pretty lazy
Yes. When you have limited column inches to work with, your hands are really tied. If you submit something worthwhile, most of it is liable to end up cut anyway. I had my problems with Jones, but I think it's pretty clear the Sacramento Bee was not encouraging anyone to do much about the Kings. I'll follow Jason's new efforts with an open - and hopeful - mind.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yes. When you have limited column inches to work with, your hands are really tied. If you submit something worthwhile, most of it is liable to end up cut anyway. I had my problems with Jones, but I think it's pretty clear the Sacramento Bee was not encouraging anyone to do much about the Kings. I'll follow Jason's new efforts with an open - and hopeful - mind.
There's a reason that most of the few sports writers the Bee WAS paying have all bolted to greener pastures

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I do not want to hear from a Laker fan that disparages the Kings. Go somewhere else.
He might have disparaged the Kings at the beginning but he also was pretty honest about what was going on. His take was certainly less biased than some of the fluff we're currently seeing. At this point, I'd rather discuss the content of his writing than continue to flagellate the dead equine.

I've met Jason a couple of times. I won't repeat the stories since I've already told them, but he does have an underlying love of basketball that's grown over the years. At least he's not the print equivalent of that idiot female sideline reporter who didn't know a technical foul from a jump ball.

Yeah, Jones looks like an absolute Kings fan(atic) compared to some on this site. I don't hold any grudges and I wish him well. He was put in a bad situation by a bad shrinking newspaper. Nevermind the fact that he's not a great reporter in the first place. Or, at least that's my take on someone who writes as if they are bored with their subject. (For those of you who can't see the color spectrum between black and white, I don't mean to suggest that he should have been a cheerleader. Just a good reporter who looked for more than he was given. I'm also aware that part of that, though not all, could have been the fault of his editors...)