The 2015 Philly trade - the worst trade in NBA history iirc

I hope for grace based on the fact that it has not been talked about VERY MUCH from the vantage point of "it wasn't such a big deal after all". Just let me enjoy that a little bit. Because I have thought there were a lot of people way too anxious to jump Vlade over the past few years. I've always believed in him... not to say he's perfect but from the day he showed D'Allesandro the door I've been happy to see how his approach pans out.
Uhhhh.. why did you have to bring in PeteD'? When he showed up I used to sign all my posts with "in PeteD' I trust." What an amazing idiot he and I were. It didn't take.long for me to hate him. :mad:

Nice idea, but I still think that people can't get over it. I think because it was supposed to be a top pick with a potential franchise player attached to that pick. You're right, that's not the case, but damn that was a bad trade because we didn't haul in a great player with the money we freed up. Again.. we are back to beating the dead horse.

So Pete is interesting. He said all the right things, it’s how he got the job. He just ended not being a good evaluator of talent. Coaching and players.

Uhhhh.. why did you have to bring in PeteD'? When he showed up I used to sign all my posts with "in PeteD' I trust." What an amazing idiot he and I were. It didn't take.long for me to hate him. :mad:

Nice idea, but I still think that people can't get over it. I think because it was supposed to be a top pick with a potential franchise player attached to that pick. You're right, that's not the case, but damn that was a bad trade because we didn't haul in a great player with the money we freed up. Again.. we are back to beating the dead horse.
Out of curiosity, what forum name did you use back then Sneak ?:p

gunks

Hall of Famer
It was a horrible trade. You don't ship out an unprotected pick for cap space. Pure panic move. The fact that Vlade then whiffed on free agency doesn't help.

And if it wasn't for Fox's insane jump from scrubby rookie to budding superstar, we'd probably be looking at a loss of a top 10 pick this year. With how crazy the West is, maybe even top 3-5. Fox suddenly being a beast on both sides of the court is huge for this team.

I'm certainly enjoying this season and looking forward to the future, but let's not act like Vlade predicted landing Fox, Buddy, Bagley and Joerger when he made that awful move. He wasn't a good GM when he came in, but he's grown into the position and assembled an awesome core. Let bygones be bygones, we don't need to try to rewrite history on past blunders. It's a "what have you done lately?" league, and lately Vlade has been pretty great.

It was a horrible trade. You don't ship out an unprotected pick for cap space. Pure panic move. The fact that Vlade then whiffed on free agency doesn't help.

And if it wasn't for Fox's insane jump from scrubby rookie to budding superstar, we'd probably be looking at a loss of a top 10 pick this year. With how crazy the West is, maybe even top 3-5. Fox suddenly being a beast on both sides of the court is huge for this team.

I'm certainly enjoying this season and looking forward to the future, but let's not act like Vlade predicted landing Fox, Buddy, Bagley and Joerger when he made that awful move. He wasn't a good GM when he came in, but he's grown into the position and assembled an awesome core. Let bygones be bygones, we don't need to try to rewrite history on past blunders. It's a "what have you done lately?" league, and lately Vlade has been pretty great.
Great post

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Pro sports daily. There was a poster that killed half the board with stupid posts, and they recently added these pop-up ads that just make it impossible to post there.
He was asking what your user name was. Your post made it sound like you were an active poster here.

Trade made with two assumptions:
1) we would be better than Philly in the pick swap years (was true)
2) we would be a bubble playoff team and not a high lottery team by the time the 2019 pick conveyed (looking true)

Deny any credit for building those assumptions into the move if you want - but it is not fair to deny it. They were big risk mitigating assumptions that turned both to be sound.

Don’t @ me

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not? While I was on vacation I didn't post, but besides that I must post 15x a day plus like 15. ;)
I'm well aware of your posting activity NOW. The original reference was in regards to your "When he showed up I used to sign all my posts with "in PeteD' I trust." comment. He (and I) thought it meant that you once posted here at KF under a different name.

I'm well aware of your posting activity NOW. The original reference was in regards to your "When he showed up I used to sign all my posts with "in PeteD' I trust." comment. He (and I) thought it meant that you once posted here at KF under a different name.
I was trying to avoid that conversation, thank you very much. Hahaha :D

"You know, I think I'm going to put my life-savings into buying lotto tickets tomorrow and hope it works out."

So if I happen to win, does that make it a good decision?

The trade is still the worst in NBA history. We traded the 7th overall pick after 1 season, 2 consecutive 1st round pick swaps (one of which cost us draft capital) and an unprotected 1st round pick.... for nothing. It was a trash decision, remains a trash decision and will always be a trash decision no matter where this pick turns up. The only reason results-oriented thinkers are bringing this up now to defend Vlade is because we randomly took a massive leap as a team that nobody could have (or really should have) predicted as a team.
How was it random again? Did we not acquire the players to make it happen? How can it be random?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Trade made with two assumptions:
1) we would be better than Philly in the pick swap years (was true)
2) we would be a bubble playoff team and not a high lottery team by the time the 2019 pick conveyed (looking true)

Deny any credit for building those assumptions into the move if you want - but it is not fair to deny it. They were big risk mitigating assumptions that turned both to be sound.

Don’t @ me
This is the bottom line. It was a high cost to pay to clear cap space, and we definitely overpaid. The fact that we were unable to build with Cousins and produce a winner is pretty sad. And this was not a good trade in balance. But it was also necessary because of previous moves and to try and do something. Ultimately it made moving on an easy decision and even though that trade was also a PR disaster, the work of Vlade and co. that follows shows they had a plan and executed it, with luck involved. But they've built something really exciting and I'm glad I never bailed on the team.

This is the bottom line. It was a high cost to pay to clear cap space, and we definitely overpaid. The fact that we were unable to build with Cousins and produce a winner is pretty sad. And this was not a good trade in balance. But it was also necessary because of previous moves and to try and do something. Ultimately it made moving on an easy decision and even though that trade was also a PR disaster, the work of Vlade and co. that follows shows they had a plan and executed it, with luck involved. But they've built something really exciting and I'm glad I never bailed on the team.
Cousins burned thru 5 coaches here and a variety of different rosters to build around him, including a veteran cast around him with George Karl coaching. He then went to NO where they played much better WITHOUT him before, of course, taking a tiny salary to try to buy a ring for GSW.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Cousins burned thru 5 coaches here and a variety of different rosters to build around him, including a veteran cast around him with George Karl coaching. He then went to NO where they played much better WITHOUT him before, of course, taking a tiny salary to try to buy a ring for GSW.
Let's be fair. Only one of the 5 coaches is even still coaching, and he's the one DMC really bonded with. In addition, those variety of different rosters featured a vast majority of players who are either playing in Europe or out of the game entirely. George Karl made no effort to hide his disdain for DMC. You cannot say that he had a fair shot at success.

As far as him taking a tiny salary? Most teams wouldn't even tender an offer - primarily because there was/is no guarantee he'd come back from the injury.

I get it. You don't like him. That's fine, but at least be fair in your condemnation.

They actually played better with Cuz before he got hurt when AD was out than at the end of the season w/o Cuz,

I fully admit I’ve pretty much always despised DMC! I guess I just don’t understand why he’s so talked about around here and respected. I’m sure even the most staunch DMC supporters would admit that what we have no is SO much more enjoyable in just about every way.

Most teams wouldn't even tender an offer - primarily because there was/is no guarantee he'd come back from the injury.
I think ALL teams did consider him. I think would have paid him in the range of 10 million, my beat is that he didn't want to play just anywhere. He wanted his cake and eat it too. I think that nonsense about him not getting any offers is hogwash. Just none that he was willing to live with, or a offered by a team that he wanted to play for. His bad attitude, lack of hustle, horrible locker room presence, cost him. He can be his own worst enemy. I have nothing to back this up but an educated guess, but no one (if they so choose to argue it) has any proof to the contrary either.

Let's be fair. Only one of the 5 coaches is even still coaching, and he's the one DMC really bonded with. In addition, those variety of different rosters featured a vast majority of players who are either playing in Europe or out of the game entirely. George Karl made no effort to hide his disdain for DMC. You cannot say that he had a fair shot at success.

As far as him taking a tiny salary? Most teams wouldn't even tender an offer - primarily because there was/is no guarantee he'd come back from the injury.

I get it. You don't like him. That's fine, but at least be fair in your condemnation.
Two things are true over the years.

1.) The Kings failed Cousins
2.) Cousins failed the Kings

Whether it's 50/50, 70/30 or whatever ratio is up for debate but both parties had a hand in it not working.

Whether it's 50/50, 70/30 or whatever ratio is up for debate but both parties had a hand in it not working.
I think it’s 90% kings, 10% Cuz. Our draft picks behind cuz were jimmer, T-Rob, Ben and Hot sauce. We also got nothing from Tyrke and IT when they left. That’s as bad as it could be.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I fully admit I’ve pretty much always despised DMC! I guess I just don’t understand why he’s so talked about around here and respected. I’m sure even the most staunch DMC supporters would admit that what we have no is SO much more enjoyable in just about every way.
Because prior to his departure he may have been the single greatest talent that we drafted in the Sacramento era. He also bled Sacramento Purple. Rare guy who showed loyalty to a team that basically wasted what may have been his prime years.

Without a doubt we are better having moved on, but I think had we not had to go through the Maloof ordeal which seemed to involve sandbagging the team to try to justify moving the team, and Vivek's growing pains, we could have built a super team with Cousins and the right picks over the next 2-3 seasons.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Totally agree...and I wish more people could realize that. It was a doomed relationship which is why, even though I was in the front seat of the DMC bandwagon and was furious with Vlade when he was traded, I quickly realized it was for the best all the way around.