The 2015 Philly trade - the worst trade in NBA history iirc

"worst in NBA history" is a trade that neither gained nor lost anything of consequence for either team. ok
I get where you’re going with this, but shouldn’t you wait to see who Boston drafts with our pick this year? Come back in a year and this thread has the makings of the ultimate Kangz victory dance before the game is done.

The level of hysteria on this one was utterly ridiculous. There were scenarios where it could have turned out really badly, but they didn't occur. So, in the end, it wasn't very significant. It wasn't the worst trade in NBA history, that was a reflection of the level of hysteria at the time. So now we're hearing 'it was STILL the the worst trade in NBA history, despite the fact that nothing bad actually happened'. Haven't seen a single 'maybe I overreacted' in this thread, which would be much more appropriate.

By that same logic, if we didn’t have that pick swap to drop to #5, we could of drafted Fultz (consensus #1), Jackson or Ball at #3 instead of Fox, because they were the ones higher on most mock drafts.
Vlade said he would have drafted fox if he had #1 so he would have at #3 ;)

I jumped on the Kings bandwagon months before the 2017 draft and I'm a huge draft junkie, but when I started to really dig into what I thought the ramifications of this trade would be, I became significantly less concerned about it. In a way that pick is like a mulligan, and Kings fans have been battered and bruised into low expectations so the loss of a potentially big mulligan is unsettling. The loss of that pick doesn't really affect their flexibility all that much though... This team is primed to strike using all sorts of other resources..

In the event the Kings hit a homerun with one of the 3 2nd rd picks this year the loss from that trade would be completely moot...

This is probably not the strongest draft either, and the Kings could've been aware of this years ahead of time, I had this feeling a while back.... '17 and '18 will prove to be better, and then '20, '21 look extremely strong at this point..

We aren't out of the woods just yet... as with all moves in the NBA the risk of injury looms..

Watching the Celtics and their fans flounder about after talking so much crap about their team and assets on paper is hilarious though, they were conviced this offseason the kings were gonna serve them a top pick on a silver platter..

Since it seems that anything positive under Vlades watch is attributed to “luck,” can we say that the moves that didn’t work out were simply “unlucky?” :p
This post is the type of truth that many people don't wanna stare directly in the eye.

If there was ever a post I've seen on this forum that deserves it's own thread it's this one but It'd get ugly in there.. lol

What is scouting? at it's core? It's not based in luck, i'll tell ya that. It's about the opposite of luck tbh..

Last edited:
This is probably not the strongest draft either, and the Kings could've been aware of this years ahead of time, I had this feeling a while back.... '17 and '18 will prove to be better, and then '20, '21 look extremely strong at this point..
I think this is probably a generous musing on your part. Had the team made this type of trade now, with the current front office competency, perhaps they might have enough foresight on draft classes; however, really hard to imagine at the time of the trade. I understand Vlade’s objective at the time, and I don’t disagree. They needed to do whatever possible to move a cousins led team forward to (1) convince DMC that he should resign in sac and (2) figure out if a competitive team could be built around him so they could decide if he was worth the max contract. It was a swing at changing the culture fast to be on the same timeline as the critical DMC decisions. However, with all that said, I think if the current front office was in place at the time, there is no way they agree to the trade as it was acually constituted. Either the swap or the pick would have to come out of the deal to be on par with market value at the time for dumping bad contracts.

The biggest bit of luck was Philly injuries during the pick swap year. We would have lost our shot at Fox had Embiid and Ben Simmons been healthy.
That’s an alternative universe that you never can know. Do we pick fox at 3? Do we trade up with Boston? Do the draft odds change in a way that we never jump up to begin with and pick Mitchelll or blow the mid lottery pick on monk?

Vlade said he would have drafted fox if he had #1 so he would have at #3 ;)
That's what all the GMs would say about their pick. ;)

But, had their not been a pick swap, there is a really good chance that we may have would up with Fultz or Ball.

If Boston would had stayed at #1, they take Tatum. Lakers seemed enamored with Lonzo Ball at #2. If Fultz was sitting there at #3, there is a really good chance the Kings may have been tempted to take him.

I'm not saying we would have, but could you imagine back then, if we got Fultz at #3, everyone would be saying we got the steal of the draft.

Well, thank goodness for that pick swap, because we picked comfortably at #5 and got the best player in the draft! ;)

Last edited:
I think this is probably a generous musing on your part. Had the team made this type of trade now, with the current front office competency, perhaps they might have enough foresight on draft classes; however, really hard to imagine at the time of the trade. I understand Vlade’s objective at the time, and I don’t disagree. They needed to do whatever possible to move a cousins led team forward to (1) convince DMC that he should resign in sac and (2) figure out if a competitive team could be built around him so they could decide if he was worth the max contract. It was a swing at changing the culture fast to be on the same timeline as the critical DMC decisions. However, with all that said, I think if the current front office was in place at the time, there is no way they agree to the trade as it was acually constituted. Either the swap or the pick would have to come out of the deal to be on par with market value at the time for dumping bad contracts.
IDK mang, I kind of feel its insulting that people don't wanna admit Vlade had his ducks in a row... the dust has settled, it's pretty clear his vision is coming to fruition..

When you look at the team and the salaries/restricted contracts on paper, that is the showstopper in this conversation really.... what is the draft all about? it's about getting the lesser fortunate teams a fair shot to get a bunch of stuff THE KINGS ALREADY HAVE..... There's a glut of young bigs, the franchise PG, 2 excellent young wings... If the Kings landed the top pick in this draft it's a Joe Johnson on the Suns type of situation there's absolutely no way they could afford to keep all these players here...

Vlade put his eggs in one basket. he counted his chickens before they hatched, and he's gonna be right........ thats how it went down... the loss of the 2019 pick is a small thing to a giant. I like his style too, Vlade doesn't make half-hearted moves.

Last edited:
Can it be somewhere in between wash and the worst trade ever?

At the time of the trade Kings were going nowhere with quite bad internal situation and bad contracts.

He did not trade 7th pick, he traded Nick Stauskas.

Trade allowed Vlade to hit for the quick fix.

He missed.

Price: This year first round pick in the middle. This makes that trade not being wash, first pick has value.
Note: if fix worked, ir would be top 10 protected pick alreasy used.

Luck involved, yes, but at the level of coin flips not buying lottery ticket.

If you think that the above is the worst trade ever (or even close), your problem.

He used very similar approach with Cuz trade (I hated it at a time but not for basketbal reasons), anybody wants to fight that one?

In short, several times Vlade has shown that he is not afraid of risk (moderate gamble), lost some battles, won some battles but what matters is that it looks that he is winning a war.
this is a great post and deserves a thousand likes.

...The only reason results-oriented thinkers are bringing this up now to defend Vlade is because we randomly took a massive leap as a team that nobody could have (or really should have) predicted as a team.
From the ESPN win total / Vegas betting thread:
"I agree that the data coupled with reasonable assumptions shows that our win total will be around what ESPN predicted. However, I think those reasonable assumptions will not hold. the most likely thing will not happen. we will be an outlier in the amount of improvement we show. we will crush it next year and I need to place my bets accordingly.."

Tooting one's own horn aside :p, the point I wanted to make in this tread has already been made eloquently by several other posters:

Vlade's moves are judged as horrible, but a series of such horrible moves produced the first playoff contender we had in a decade.

So instead of allowing for the possibility that their own analysis of the moves and the ramifications of such moves COULD possibly have been wrong, a lot of posters attribute the result to luck. And not just any luck, since these moves were so bad and horrible, the luck involved needs to be lottery level luck!

Just as I see it as ok to question the results oriented posters, I think the judge-moves-on-their-own-merit posters should show more reflection and humbleness in assessing their own opinions given the results that have been produced, and not be too quick to dismiss these results as pure luck.

All the trade really proves is how much that luck and timing are a part of building a team. It also shows that hitting a homerun (Fox) on one high draft picks really accelerates the rest of the dominoes falling into place. Hitting that homerun also really covers up any of your mistakes.

There were some good parts and bad parts to this trade. In the end it all worked out well for the Kings because of mostly luck. The 76ers swapping picks ended in disaster for them because they took Fultz (after they leveraged and traded up with Boston) but in principal the pick swap was still a great part of the trade on their part. The 76ers just massively screwed up the execution of the actual draft pick.

Fox being there at 5 and the Kings drafting Fox at 5 is really what set all of this in motion for having a good team right now.

"You know, I think I'm going to put my life-savings into buying lotto tickets tomorrow and hope it works out."

So if I happen to win, does that make it a good decision?

The trade is still the worst in NBA history. We traded the 7th overall pick after 1 season, 2 consecutive 1st round pick swaps (one of which cost us draft capital) and an unprotected 1st round pick.... for nothing. It was a trash decision, remains a trash decision and will always be a trash decision no matter where this pick turns up. The only reason results-oriented thinkers are bringing this up now to defend Vlade is because we randomly took a massive leap as a team that nobody could have (or really should have) predicted as a team.
It's not even in the top 20 of worst trades of all time and not even in the Kings top 5.

Eddie Johnson for Ed Pickeny
Omri for JJ Hickson and protected pick was 10x worse for hampering our trading.
Larry Drew, mike woodson and a #1, a 2nd round pick for Derick Smith, Junior bridgeman and franklin edwards.

Heck the IT trade was worse.

Trading the #7 for Salmons and drafing Jimmer, passing on Thompson or Kawhi! This maybe #1

That's what all the GMs would say about their pick. ;)

But, had their not been a pick swap, there is a really good chance that we may have would up with Fultz or Ball.

If Boston would had stayed at #1, they take Tatum. Lakers seemed enamored with Lonzo Ball at #2. If Fultz was sitting there at #3, there is a really good chance the Kings may have been tempted to take him.

I'm not saying we would have, but could you imagine back then, if we got Fultz at #3, everyone would be saying we got the steal of the draft.

Well, thank goodness for that pick swap, because we picked comfortably at #5 and got the best player in the draft! ;)
Vlade has a history of going against the consensus pick so you never really know ie doncic. The main point was who we got out of the draft shouldn't always determine if it was a good or bad trade. So many things could happen that changes the outcome. There's the butterfly effect. Maybe we get Tatum and Mitchell, maybe we get fultz and another bust. Still doesn't change the fact at face value it was a bad trade.

BTW just wondering. Do u think it was a good trade or just playing Devils advocate?

I'm not so sure about that. I believe Vlade when he said he'd take De'Aaron #1. I know I certainly would have and said so.
Disagree, GMs say that about every player they take Jackson was rated higher at the time and I don’t think it was debatable. Also Jackson worked out for us and we were linked to him

The trade was absolutely horrible. Vlade got extremely lucky in a number of situations, to get out of what could have been a disaster for the organization.

However, fortune favors the bold. This is how Vlade operates. He's strong in his conviction. If in the end Vlade fulfills his mission, how can I argue with the path he took?

Disagree, GMs say that about every player they take Jackson was rated higher at the time and I don’t think it was debatable. Also Jackson worked out for us and we were linked to him
Rated higher by whom? I know you of all people are fully aware that not all GM's draft boards are the same -- and certainly not the same as amateur online draft sites. Look no further than Bagley over Dončić this past draft. Luka was rated higher at the time by many too. But obviously not by the Kings front office.

Secondly, what real justification do you have not to take Vlade by his word? You believing that many GM's 'say that' about their players isn't very concrete.

Vlade has made suspect moves and I certainly understand the criticism there, but what have you ever seen from him as a player or front office exec that seriously makes you believe he's a liar too? Shouldn't he get the benefit of the doubt regarding his sincerity, if nothing else?

The Kings obviously had the #2 pick this draft. But suppose they had #5 again and were able to land Bagley with it. We now know to a certainty he would have been their pick at #2 too. I have little doubt that the same is true of De'Aaron Fox had the Kings been at #3 in that draft.

Last edited:
same people will say "Vlade got lucky to move up to 3", then say "see the swap cost us just like I knew/feared it would", then say "well it SHOULD have cost us anyway, just got lucky"

By any objective non-hysterical standard - the trade was a benign wash ... a swing and a miss as far as the Wes Matthews plan but so so very far from a disaster...
And a good learning experience for Vlade. He's learned from that to not swing before you see the ball coming.

Trade was bad. Luck helped turn the bad trade into a situation where we didn't get screwed. What you don't mention is that pick swap could have cost us fox. If he had a stellar workout and someone in the top 4 drafted him we could have ended up with fultz jackson or ball.
That’s not how destiny works...Fox was always coming here.

Also, just a reminder...when Vlade made this trade it was to ascertain whether or not Cousins, who represented a value of at least two first round picks, was worth the max. As it turned out, he was not and we got two top-10 picks in return...Buddy + #10.

Last edited:
Vlade has a history of going against the consensus pick so you never really know ie doncic. The main point was who we got out of the draft shouldn't always determine if it was a good or bad trade. So many things could happen that changes the outcome. There's the butterfly effect. Maybe we get Tatum and Mitchell, maybe we get fultz and another bust. Still doesn't change the fact at face value it was a bad trade.

BTW just wondering. Do u think it was a good trade or just playing Devils advocate?
I don't think it was a good trade, BUT at that point, we had an all-world Center in DMC in his prime and no cap space to do anything in free agency. We also had a looming DMC free agency that we needed to address in a couple of short summers.

So, Vlade had his hands tied with what PDA left. Basically, we were in salary cap hell, but had an all world center, who we needed to determine if we could build a contender around or not. If Vlade sat on his hands and we just wasted another year not trying, we wind up in DMC contract year with no answers if we can build a winner around him or not.

This leads us to the trade deadline trade that blew everything up and DMC was traded. Could we had gotten to that point without that Philly trade? Maybe, maybe not. We may have re-signed DMC to a supermax thinking we could still make it work, once we had some cap space. BUT, Vlade already tried and nothing solid came of everything he tried to put around DMC, thus the trade of DMC and look at where our team is now.

The trade was not good, but you can't argue that we aren't in a better position now, than had we not made that trade. The results are the results and we are sitting pretty right now (even if we wind up giving up a #10-16 pick this year). ;)

IDK mang, I kind of feel its insulting that people don't wanna admit Vlade had his ducks in a row... the dust has settled, it's pretty clear his vision is coming to fruition..

When you look at the team and the salaries/restricted contracts on paper, that is the showstopper in this conversation really.... what is the draft all about? it's about getting the lesser fortunate teams a fair shot to get a bunch of stuff THE KINGS ALREADY HAVE..... There's a glut of young bigs, the franchise PG, 2 excellent young wings... If the Kings landed the top pick in this draft it's a Joe Johnson on the Suns type of situation there's absolutely no way they could afford to keep all these players here...

Vlade put his eggs in one basket. he counted his chickens before they hatched, and he's gonna be right........ thats how it went down... the loss of the 2019 pick is a small thing to a giant. I like his style too, Vlade doesn't make half-hearted moves.
I don’t disagree that he had a plan and went all in with it. I actually respected that at the time because at least he was trying to make something happen. However, I do think he gave up too much to make it happen.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Why... why... it is what it is. It's done. We have the team we have with the picks that we have.Can we stop beating the dead horse?
No, not around here. Beating dead horses is what fan boards are all about. Your best bet, if you're not interested in a particular topic, is just to scroll on.

No, not around here. Beating dead horses is what fan boards are all about. Your best bet, if you're not interested in a particular topic, is just to scroll on.
Yeah.. you are right, obviously. I am so negative most of the time, it's so hard to hear other people doing it for me. :D I am sure everyone has said their peice over and over again on this subject. It most likely is the most talked about subject in all of Kings history besides game 6. I can't wait for the pick to be in on draft day, and that player be a bust outside the lottery ofcourse. :) so we can all finally move on with our fanship.

Yeah.. you are right, obviously. I am so negative most of the time, it's so hard to hear other people doing it for me. :D I am sure everyone has said their peice over and over again on this subject. It most likely is the most talked about subject in all of Kings history besides game 6. I can't wait for the pick to be in on draft day, and that player be a bust outside the lottery ofcourse. :) so we can all finally move on with our fanship.
I hope for grace based on the fact that it has not been talked about VERY MUCH from the vantage point of "it wasn't such a big deal after all". Just let me enjoy that a little bit. Because I have thought there were a lot of people way too anxious to jump Vlade over the past few years. I've always believed in him... not to say he's perfect but from the day he showed D'Allesandro the door I've been happy to see how his approach pans out.