Thar she blows! We've got Burkle!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
nickmonacelli ‏@nickmonacelli
Breaking: Sources say Burkle and Mastrov teaming up for local group to buy #nbakings. They are 2 of 5 whales for @KJ_MayorJohnson #news10

wow just 2 of 5!?!? Dave wasnt lying when he said Mayor Johson is going Beast Mode

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Will the people who were b*tching and moaning about the press conference please step to the table for a heaping helping of "I told you so"?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Okay then Burkle is back as the money man. That works.

Would still like to sprinkle some former NBAers like Webb in as well just to add sparkle to the package, but Burkle is a peer of the BOG types. Not only a billionaire insider, but a sports owner insider. He's about as legit a name as you could drop in here.

Yeah. My avatar is still the best. It's nothing to do with me being too lazy to change it, I just *always* new Ron Burkle's got out back. :)

Would still like to sprinkle some former NBAers like Webb in as well just to add sparkle to the package, but Burkle is a peer of the BOG types. Not only a billionaire insider, but a sports owner insider. He's about as legit a name as you could drop in here.

You got Burkle? ;)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
wow so just 2 of 5 whales that the mayor has? they might be able to make a very very nice offer that the NBA and the Maloofs cannot turn down
I don't think all 5 are going to bid together, more likely that there were 5 potential suitors for our bid. I'm curious as to who those people were though.

I don't think all 5 are going to bid together, more likely that there were 5 potential suitors for our bid. I'm curious as to who those people were though.
i dont think he's done announcing them. im fairly confident that Ellison is gonna be in on it

but ya i know not all 5 are going in together, i just mean its clear that KJ has assembled some heavy hitters

But wait...might there be MORE whales in our waters?!...Patience grasshoppers...

Burkle and Mastrov is about as good as we could hope for. Mega-billionare/successful sports owner with Burkle and another significant Sacramento presence in Mastrov.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Still specualtion Broad may be involved as he was a minority owner of the Kings with Jim Thomas and, along with Burkle, is one of the top Democratic boosters in the nation. Couple that with the fact he's still maintaining a development presence in Sacramento and there may be yet another whale to breach

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Still specualtion Broad may be involved as he was a minority owner of the Kings with Jim Thomas and, along with Burkle, is one of the top Democratic boosters in the nation. Couple that with the fact he's still maintaining a development presence in Sacramento and there may be yet another whale to breach
And the key there would be a "whale" who doesn't mind being a minority owner to help get this done, theoretically.

i wonder if another whale will emerge to pay for the downtown arena?
According to the Amick article. That seems to be what Burkle and JMA Ventures are interested in doing. Perhaps connecting dots here, Mastrov is buying the team and Burkle with JMA is developing the plaza and arena. With about $255 million in help from the city.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Burkle did wonders for the Penguins in the NHL and would seem an ideal owner. Mastrov is local and tried to buy the Warriors and is passionate about NBA. With both being Billionaires, should be all Sacramento needs to keep the Kings along with 20+ million $$ local contributors possibly including Chris Webber. Then the deep pockets get the arena started with AEG who are kicking in $50M of that plus city kicking in $155M (????$255M???). Seems a good route. Lets see what happens end of week.

Don't need one. The previous deal is still on the table. All they need to do is agree to that deal and the arena is good to go. And no lawsuits holding it up like in Seattle right now.
So all the arena deal needs is new-owner approval? Everything else is already taken care of?

If that's the case, we have significant money, significant Sacramento support, and an arena deal ready to go for KJ to arm himself with at the BoG meeting.

Thrilling News! Lots of questions...but I'll wait. Impressed with a few of the insiders here and their ability to keep things close without spilling the beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.