TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I have decided that this swing through the snake is going to represent a return to ballsiness after I've been flouncing around with too many happy Hawaiians and mellow island boys for the last half dozen picks. A 12 bar blues song belted out by this artist is always a good place to pick up your testosterone quotient:

Move It On Over -- George Thorogood & the Destroyers (1978)

And the 1947 Hank Williams original:

Just acknowledging that I'm up, that I know I'm up, and that I'll make my picks before the clock runs out. Sunday nights for me = a crappy hotel room in Baton Rouge with dodgy internet and a persnickety tablet. I'll be back home with my list early tomorrow afternoon, though.

Well, it's not quite early afternoon as promised, but I'm back to my good internet and ready to pick. To end the current round, I'm going local:

http://www.letv.com/ptv/vplay/2065808.html#vid=2065808
"50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" -- The Brass-A-Holics, part of the GRAMMYs "Reimagined" web series, 2013
Originally written and recorded by Paul Simon, 1975

The Brass-A-Holics are one of my very favorite bands here in New Orleans, and their live sets usually include tons of covers, so I'm glad to be able to bring them to my island with this one. This is a great version of a great song, and one that shows off many of the reasons I'm so fond of this group: hugely eclectic mix of New Orleans brass band and D.C. go-go traditions, great stage vibe, and a ton of talent. (Apologies about the Korean video link, by the way, but the official GRAMMYs YouTube channel has apparently been making the original web series vids available only intermittently.)

Original version:

And to start the next round:

"Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" -- The Feelies, on Crazy Rhythms, 1980
Originally written by John Lennon and recorded by The Beatles, 1968

Not much to say about this one other than it's a cover I've always loved. And one of the few on my list I didn't know was a cover until long after I should have -- my mother was a punk fan and a White Album hater, so this was able to be completely original to my ignorant ears.

Original version:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Otay, this is no doubt a breach of protocol, but this late I'm not really caring. It was an alternate possibility for me from earlier in the draft, and I've always liked it. Good enough...even if it does mean going back to one of my favorite cover artists for a 3rd time in a single draft. :p So more ballsiness, in these case covering ballsiness too:

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap -- Joan Jett (1990)

AC/DC's original:

Here's a nice version of Sweet Jane by the Cowboy Junkies. Lou Reed said of it "the best and most authentic version I have ever heard". Best known from the Natural Born Killers soundtrack.

Cowboy Junkies, Sweet Jane, 1988
Velvet Underground, Sweet Jane, 1969

Sped up with whimsical harmonica laden vocals from Jack Bruce, inspired Ginger Baker percussion, and slide Clapton guitar rhythms, this catchy tune will give me plenty of toe tapping, blues listening goodness to enjoy on my isle. With my 19th selection, I choose:

Rollin' and Tumblin' - Cream (Live Performance at Royal Albert Music Hall) (2006)

Original: Roll and Tumble Blues - Hambone WillieNewbern (1929)

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollin'_and_Tumblin'

Nessun Dorma - Luciano Pavarotti (1972)

-- is an aria from the final act of Giacomo Puccini's operaTurandot,[2] and is one of the best-known tenor arias in all opera (Wiki)

This is an incredible recording for several reasons. Firstly, it's taken from the first time that Turando was ever recorded in its entirety in 1937, but more interestingly, it also shows just how indulgent subsequent tenors are with its performance. Merli sticks exactly to the score, and doesn't hold that famous long note at the end at all - completely changing how it sounds to modern ears. This is precisely how Puccini wrote it, too - so this is probably the most 'authentic' version out there.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For my next to last pick, I select:

Night And Day (Steel String Remix) by U2 (off of the single "One", 1992)

Originally written by Cole Porter, original performance by Fred Astaire in the film "The Gay Divorcee" (1934)

Night and Day is an unusual song - among other things its melody is nearly monotone and it has strange chord progressions and harmonies which would in my mind make it an unlikely candidate for a song intended to be performed in a stage musical (see the original Astaire performance: link). Yet somehow it has become a jazz standard and one of Cole Porter's most famous songs. But as inappropriate as it seems for a musical, Night And Day was pretty much a perfect piece for U2 to use as they embarked on their atmospheric electronica era. The Night And Day cover was contemporaneous with Achtung Baby but strayed further from U2's mainstream music, sounding more like the later Passengers record. In addition to being a great song, it's a bit of a preview as to where U2 was going to go in the upcoming years.

I doubt anyone on this forum has even heard this cover, but I still want to take it. I'm not a huge Macklemore fan, but I really love this song of his. It's apt, it talks about the right subject and in the right light. He gained a lot of respect from me when I heard it for the first time.

Kodaline - Same Love (2013)
Original by Macklemore (2012)

This cover is by a fantastic new (ish) Irish band called Kodaline. Don't forget that name - you're going to be hearing about them if you haven't already. They change the song up, obviously, given that the original is a rap song. It sounds great as an indie type song too, just has a different feel. I need it on my island to remind me that not all people are dumb.

Here's the original for anyone who hasn't heard it:

I am going to select one of my favorite 70's soul covers:

Get Ready - Rare Earth (Originally by the Temptations)

Here is the album cut I am selecting:

And here is a live version just for fun... because it's fun... I can't imagine how hard it would be to play uptempo drums and sing lead...

Cortez the Killer -- Built to Spill (1999)

If you're going to cover one of Neil Young's guitar hero songs, you'd better be GOOD, and Built to Spill's Doug Martsch definitely qualifies. This if from their 1999 album Live, which I've listened to a lot since I discovered it 2 or 3 years ago. The song is all about the guitar solo, and I like where Doug goes with it.

The song first appeared on Neil Young's 1975 album Zuma. This performance is from what is probably my favorite concert film, 1978's Rust Never Sleeps.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Cortez the Killer -- Built to Spill (1999)

If you're going to cover one of Neil Young's guitar hero songs, you'd better be GOOD, and Built to Spill's Doug Martsch definitely qualifies. This if from their 1999 album Live, which I've listened to a lot since I discovered it 2 or 3 years ago. The song is all about the guitar solo, and I like where Doug goes with it.
So I saw that this was 20 minutes long and I thought, "I'll just listen to the first few minutes to get a flavor for it then turn it off."

Yeah, I listened to the whole thing. Twice. I fully endorse the solos (the rhythm guitar breaks off the riff at several points for its own solo - and often competing solos). Killer stuff.

For my next pick I select:

So What? - Metallica

I will just be posting the links and not embedding the videos due to explicit content of the lyrics...

Metallica's version:

Metallica link

The original version by Anti-Nowhere League:

Original Link

Album: Garage Inc.
Released: 1998
Original Artist: Anti-Nowhere League
Original Released Date: 1981

The Antlers - "VCR" (The xx cover) [2011]:

"VCR" by English dream pop band The xx is a very special song for my wife and i. it represents an autumn in which everything changed for the two of us. as the leaves changed in 2010, we listened to The xx's debut album in my car for weeks on end, and we built a blanket fort where we watched old VHS copies of our favorite childhood movies as the winter chill approached. after five years of a very close friendship, we realized that we were something more: "Watch things on VCR's / with me and talk about big love / I think we're superstars / You say you think we are the best thing / And you, you just know / You just do." the following autumn, The Antlers recorded a lovely, haunting cover version of "VCR," and it served as a wonderful excuse for my wife and i to fall in love all over again...

The xx - "VCR" (2009):

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Smells like Teen Spirit" was a game changer. As a single it both brought Nirvana to the masses and sounded a death knell for the glam rock and hair bands that had ruled rock's roost. It was also one of many songs I loved off of Nevermind. One of my greatest concert memories is seeing Pearl Jam open for Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers on New Year's Eve. The Chili Peppers had fire dancers, extended solos, interesting cover songs, crazy outfits etc. But Nirvana just blew the doors off with a no nonsense set that left the crowd seemingly exhausted and unable to ramp up the enthusiasm again. It's partly why as a high school kid I was crushed to hear of Cobain's suicide. Nirvana wasn't a technically proficient band. They weren't ground breaking in any real musical sense. But they captured the zeitgeist of their time so perfectly. I was and am a fan.

I'm also a huge Robert Glasper fan. Some may hate this cover and I get that. But I love that someone who was coming from an entirely different place than Kurt and Nirvana (musically, socially, geographically etc) thought enough of this song to do a version with his stamp on it. That and I'd pay to watch Glasper and Derrick Hodge play just about anything. I think this version is amazing.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit"
From the Robert Glasper Experiment's 2012 album "Black Radio"

"Smells Like Teen Spirit"
From Nirvana's 1991 album "Nevermind"

Oh, and here's a live version of the Robert Glasper Experiment version

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Much harder to decide which song to take with my last selection than my first. Still, I'm just keeping it simple here. My last song is just my favorite of the ones left on my list. The string section and the impassioned vocal propel it far above the original while also giving it a timeless quality. This doesn't sound like a song that's 45 years old to me.

"California Soul"
From the 1969 Marlena Shaw album "The Spice of Life"

And the original
"California Soul"
a 1967 B side from the Messengers

for my final pick of the 2014 TDOS Tropical Island iPod Cover Draft, i'm selecting my favorite cover of all time...

Deftones & Far - "Savory" (Jawbox cover) [1997]:

Deftones and Far have both been individually represented among my draft picks, and here they are gloriously represented together. originally released on Far's Soon EP, and later re-released in 2005 as part of Deftones' B-Sides & Rarities compilation, "Savory" is a collaboration between Sacramento's two greatest alt-metal titans...

Jawbox were a seminal post-hardcore band, and the kids from Sacto did all kinds of justice to their most iconic track. i discovered DC hardcore because of this cover, and subsequently fell in love with Jawbox, Fugazi, and a host of other stellar bands. that said, i've always felt like this cover managed to surpass the original, as classic as it may be. there's an energy, a verve, and a rawness to it that i find incredibly appealing...

the liner notes for Far's Soon EP included the following missive regarding the recording of "Savory":

"'Savory' is a Jawbox song, and if you haven't heard them you should. They're an amazing band. We've been friends with Deftones for 6-7 years now, and we're always saying we're gonna do something together, so we finally did. Sloppy and fun, 'Savory' was recorded in a few hours here in Sac. Stef [Carpenter, of Deftones] played bass and Johnny [Gutenberger, of Far] played guitar, Chris [Robyn, of Far] & Abe [Cunningham, of Deftones] switched at the end of the tune, Shaun [Lopez, of Far] took his first solo ever, Chino [Moreno, of Deftones] and Jonah [Matranga, of Far] just sang 'til the tracks were full. We're just playing a song that we all love. Special thanks to [producer Eric] Stenman for getting the mess on tape."

Jawbox - "Savory" (1994):

OK sorry for holding up. Here are my last 3.

Crazy - Daniela Andrade

Original: Crazy - Gnarls Barkley

---------------------------------

Get Low - Dan Henning

Original - Get Low - Lil Jon and The East Side Boyz

--------------------------------

I'm playing loose and fast with this one, if it doesn't work I'll put one more

Kanye West/Jamie Fox - Gold Digger

Original - Ray Chalres - I got a Woman

-----------------------------

Jamie Foxx - Georgia on my mind

If the above don't work