Swift to sign with Rockets

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36691/20050718/swift_takeoff_rockets_land_stromile/

Swift Takeoff: Rockets Land Stromile 18th July, 2005 - Houston Chronicle -

Forward Stromile Swift, the only player the Rockets have targeted in free agency, agreed to terms with the Rockets on Monday evening, Swift's agent, Andy Miller, said.

Swift spent almost two weeks since visiting the Rockets considering his options, including a strong push by the New Jersey Nets , but Miller said Swift, 6-10, decided the chance to play with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming inspired him to take the Rockets' offer.

The Rockets, who are over the salary cap, could offer only the midlevel exception, expected to be worth between $28 million and $32 million over five years. He likely could have received greater offers, particularly in a sign-and-trade deal, but decided to end his free agency.

Swift, 25, has averaged nine points and five rebounds in five NBA seasons.

"He has decided to become a Houston Rocket," Miller said. "He's absolutely excited about playing with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. The Houston organization has been very consistent and adamant about getting him."

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
1) well I'm rather proud of a guy I think is a knucklehead -- went for the fit/victories rather than the payday. Course maybe kind of dumb too, because at his age, this is the time for that big contract. But $30 mil -- he's nto goingto be hurting.

2) Rockets getting scarier. they find a PG = watch out.

3) Nets may well step up their efforts to land Rahim now.

Hmm. So, their lineup is this now?

Yao
Swift
T-Mac
Sura
Wesley

They still are playing T-Mac out of position at SF (well they're getting away with it at least, and what's the difference between SF and SG these days anyways?) and have a bunch of tweener 1-2s in Sura, Wesley and I dont think Mike James is a starting PG on a contender. But they're getting closer. And they're still young.

I am surprised that no other team really seemed to go after Swift.

Some writers think that with Swift they will be dominant... but T-Mac and Yao were supposed to do it by themselves, like Kobe and Shaq (with role play help of course) and last year was a joke. Although they did have a good run at the end of the season which may give them some momentum for next year I just dont see the addition of Swift as being the missing piece that can make them title contenders. IMO Yao is overated. Hes a hell of a player and I would want him on my team but I dont think he produces enough and consistantly. He must rebound more and score more if they want to win a championship in Houston.

I didnt write a whole lot about Swift. I like his game and think he can bring a lot to Houston. I think its a coinflip to see if everything falls into place and they all start clicking but I think he was a good pickup and I would rather play for the Rockets than the question mark Nets or Memphis.

Last edited:
Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Some writers think that with Swift they will be dominant... but T-Mac and Yao were supposed to do it by themselves, like Kobe and Shaq (with role play help of course) and last year was a joke. Although they did have a good run at the end of the season which may give them some momentum for next year I just dont see the addition of Swift as being the missing piece that can make them title contenders. IMO Yao is overated. Hes a hell of a player and I would want him on my team but I dont think he produces enough and consistantly. He must rebound more and score more if they want to win a championship in Houston.

I didnt write a whole lot about Swift. I like his game and think he can bring a lot to Houston. I think its a coinflip to see if everything falls into place and they all start clicking but I think he was a good pickup and I would rather play for the Rockets than the question mark Nets or Memphis.
I agree. They look like an excellent team on paper and it is easy to label them contenders, as some writers already have (and did last year), but you have to remember that this is the NBA, full of exceptionally talented contenders, many which never get all the way. They will be good, but each team member is too unproven to start handing out the hardwear yet.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
1) well I'm rather proud of a guy I think is a knucklehead -- went for the fit/victories rather than the payday. Course maybe kind of dumb too, because at his age, this is the time for that big contract. But $30 mil -- he's nto goingto be hurting.

2) Rockets getting scarier. they find a PG = watch out.

3) Nets may well step up their efforts to land Rahim now.
Actually I think he really isn't worth much more than the MLE. He is an athlete, nothing more. I mean he really is a bit raw to have been in the league for 5 years.

Swift isn't as offensively inept as Kelvin Cato, nor as defensively and athletically challenged as Mo Taylor. Swift is not a star, and will never be a star, but he should be a good enough role player between Tmac and Yao. The position may even be ideal for him, he doesn't have to be a primary offensive option, but he can get to the hole quickley when doubled off of (he is a good finisher at the rim or at the line), he can crash the offensive boards, he can run the court, he can provide weak side shotblocking, and he's fairly quick for a 4 in rotations. The fit seems real good here.

In addition, Juwan Howard makes for an excellent changeup off the bench. We didn't get that with Taylor here, their games were just too similar.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
HOU CuttinoFan said:
Swift isn't as offensively inept as Kelvin Cato, nor as defensively and athletically challenged as Mo Taylor. Swift is not a star, and will never be a star, but he should be a good enough role player between Tmac and Yao. The position may even be ideal for him, he doesn't have to be a primary offensive option, but he can get to the hole quickley when doubled off of (he is a good finisher at the rim or at the line), he can crash the offensive boards, he can run the court, he can provide weak side shotblocking, and he's fairly quick for a 4 in rotations. The fit seems real good here.

In addition, Juwan Howard makes for an excellent changeup off the bench. We didn't get that with Taylor here, their games were just too similar.
Actually I wouldn't be too surprised to see a healthy Juwan Howard take the starting position away from Stromile. I have always liked Juwan and I feel he is a very underrated player. He is an excellent post player, and he is certainly the opposite of Stromile (not anywhere near as athletic but much more refined offensive game) so that could be a good thing.

Wow, this is a surprising signing to me. I can't see why the Hawks or Hornets wouldn't throw more than $30M at him. But I guess they were smart and realized he isn't worth more than that. Great signing by the Rockets, now they need a PG.

good signing by the rockets....they've got some great frontcourt shotblocking now but they still seem a little thin to me. yao and swift aren't exactly going to overpower anyone. nevertheless a move they needed to make. i have them in the fighting to be in the top 4 in the west next year along with SA, Phoenix, Denver and Dallas.