Swastika defaces Kings' mural of Omri Casspi

Disgusting. All bigotry is disgusting, no matter the form it takes.
As much as I agree with you, I don't think this is a case of bigotry. More likely just a group of teens who thought it would be funny to draw a big ol' swastika on Casspi's head. I'm not saying its not wrong because its a terrible idea of a joke still. If it were a group of anti semetic bigots they probably wouldn't have messed up the swastika.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Too bad this 3,000 year old symbol has such negative connotations nowadays - used to be a symbol for luck/life/the sun and other positive meanings depending on the native culture. I choose to look at the older, more positive connotations of the symbol when I see it scrawled somewhere just so it doesn't have any negative "power" anymore.

Graffiti in general is nasty stuff and really torques me to see it. This one is especially vile given the connotation it is meant to have in today's society.

This sad story sort of reminds me of criminal who stole Lance Armstrong's racing bike in downtown Sacramento a couple years ago at start of Amgen tour. Bad international publicity for Sac, but no permanent damage to city reputation as story lingered awhile with his very unique bicycle finally recovered a couple weeks later, the dumb thief busted. Hopefully, the idiot who defaced mural of Casspi with backwards swastika gets caught or turns himself in to repent. One good note on Casspi situation was how someone, presumbably soon after passer by attempted to erase the swastika showing "real attitude" of over-whelming majority here.

Probably done by teens with no affiliation to that group.. Since they don't know how to even draw the thing correctly.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is actually the sort of thing that I wish wouldn't even get reported. Report it to the authorities, have them quickly go out and scrub it before many people see it, and don't even give the little ****s the notoriety. Unfortunately it was apparently reported to the media before the city.

Damned parents. However, I wonder. In a league that is mostly black, why pick the Jew? Or why only report the hate crime aimed toward the Jew?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
As much as I agree with you, I don't think this is a case of bigotry. More likely just a group of teens who thought it would be funny to draw a big ol' swastika on Casspi's head. I'm not saying its not wrong because its a terrible idea of a joke still. If it were a group of anti semetic bigots they probably wouldn't have messed up the swastika.
In the battle between "Anti-Semites" and "Teenagers who think it's funny to pretend to be Anti-Semites", I'll take the latter. They had their fun, it was stupid and in poor taste, let's not give them the satisfaction they're looking for in making this into a tempest in a teapot and maybe next time they won't bother.

piksi

Hall of Famer
well, they started like this and in few years they will burn a synagogue and so on

some things have to be prevented and when it comes to hate crimes - word "funny" does not belong in any way

Probably done by teens with no affiliation to that group.. .
agreed.

in a similar pathetic mold.... last halloween we had something like 20 jack-o-lanterns at our house, just BEGGING to get smashed.

the bozos that eventually DID smash 'em decided to add to the overall destructive ambience by scrawling a star of david and a swastika on my sidewalk.... in whipped cream. wtf!?

Definitely not funny.

I'm not sure if that was meant as a racist symbol because base on where it was marked and the direction of the cross, it looks more like a Buddha symbol. But who knows, could be a racist symbol but the guy is too stupid to do it correctly.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Definitely not funny.

I'm not sure if that was meant as a racist symbol because base on where it was marked and the direction of the cross, it looks more like a Buddha symbol. But who knows, could be a racist symbol but the guy is too stupid to do it correctly.
Given that they scrawled it right between the eyes on a giant mural of a jewish player I don't think there is much doubt what they were trying to do. That they were too stupid to actually pull it off correctly comes as no surprise at all.

Unfortunately, I've come into contact with some teens who fancied themselves neo-nazis. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't members of a neo-nazi group, but they were definitely very serious in their hatred of Jews, Blacks, Latinos, etc. Talking to my then teenage son, he said their parents were just like that, too. Anyway, I don't care if it was a group of teens who just had the terrible idea it would be cool to do. That they would even think to do that comes from somewhere in their heads. And its an ugly place.

I'm sorry it ended up in the news, too.

I understand the "this is probably teens just messing around" angle, but let's get some perpective: This is a hate crime. While not perpetrated directly onto a physical person, this is a crime that is in a much different class than simple destruction of public property.

What defines a hate crime is that it is designed to threaten, intimidate and cause fear across a whole segment of the population, making the impact much worse than a simple mugging, or car jacking or something.

The retarded illiterate history flunk scrawny *** failed thugs who did this need to be persecuted and humiliated, shown to be the jokes of an excuse for a person that they are.

This just pisses me off. What a poor showing for Sacramento to Omri and his family. It better be ****ing scrubbed off at this point.

Last edited:
I understand the "this is probably teens just messing around" angle, but let's get some perpective: This is a hate crime. While not perpetrated directly onto a physical person, this is a crime that is in a much different class than simple destruction of public property.

What defines a hate crime is that it is designed to threaten, intimidate and cause fear across a whole segment of the population, making the impact much worse than a simple mugging, or car jacking or something.

The retarded illiterate history flunk scrawny *** failed thugs who did this need to be persecuted and humiliated, shown to be the jokes of an excuse for a person that they are.

This just pisses me off. What a poor showing for Sacramento to Omri and his family. It better be ****ing scrubbed off at this point.
Not sure if you saw my above post, but it is scrubbed off, saw that it was last night on my way home from work.

No problem! It's the first thing I looked for when I was taking the train home last night after work, the mural is accross the street from the 16th St. station.
I did see your original post and thanks for giving us the report. I'm glad that quick action was taken.

Sacramento is better than that. As the most diverse city in the US, its actually good news that most people, most of the time get along quite well here.

Last edited:
Casspi:

"It's been all over the news over here," said Casspi. "Everybody's talking about it. It's hurtful to think that this is 2010, and there are still people like that out there. I almost don't know what to say. It's probably just some idiot who wants some publicity. But I know the people in Sacramento, and they have been wonderful to me. I know they must feel bad about this. Same thing with the Kings. I'll just let the police handle this and focus on having a great season."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2010/09/casspi-hurt-by.html#ixzz0z4lfuFu3
http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2010/09/casspi-hurt-by.html