Swastika defaces Kings' mural of Omri Casspi

Before my dad passed, he loved to tell stories about how he immigrated to America. How he grew up, went to school, later raised a family here, and especially about how he served our country during WWII. The war stories were the most riveting, especially when he talked about buddies he lost while fighting in Europe. Nazism was no joking matter.

I'm glad he didn't see this news story.

But I know the people in Sacramento, and they have been wonderful to me. I know they must feel bad about this.
Thank you, Omri. I still feel bad that it happened.

Happy Rosh Hashanah,

"May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year."

My grandfather's entire family was executed by Nazis in Kiev in September 1941 ... about 35,000 Russian Jews were executed during 2 days. That's actually why my member's nick is Ukraine. Unfortunately, Nazi culture is still alive and growing.

I'm not sure, but I don't think this is the first time that the mural has been de-faced. I have a friend who works in the area who had told me that someone had drawn a swastika over Omri's face - but she told me that a while back.

Anyway, this sucks. It is a stupid display by stupid people.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I paraphrase, but: "Evil is allowed to suceed when good men do nothing". When I was a kid, I was raised by my great aunt. We eventually lived in an all black neighborhood. Being a young kid, I thought it was perfectly normal. All my friends were black, and in a strange sort of way, the kids in my immediate neighborhood became not only my friends, but my protectors. Of course I didn't know it at the time. Needless to say, I grew up with no prejudice toward black people. You can imagine the shock I went through when I entered the Marine Corps and was thrown together with people raised in the south. They grew up the exact opposite of me. They grew up in a culture that was entirely foreign to mine. The ironic part was that they were entirely likable on every other level.

Were not born with hate in our hearts. Its taught to us. In some cases its a legacy being handed down from generation to generation. I suspect that with the human race being what it is, its not going to change anytime soon. Evil is, and will, always be out there waiting for its opportunity. But as long as there are good people willing to step up and confront it, instead of looking the other way and pretending its not there, it will never suceed.

I'm truely sorry this happened in sacramento, but at the same time, it doesn't surprise me. I can't think of one place in the world I've been where there wern't bad people. I'm sure Casspi can handle it just fine. Hatred is nothing new to him, or the jewish people. Maybe it was more of a wake up call for us. A reminder that all is not quite right with the world just yet.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Casspi: "It's been all over the news over here," said Casspi. "Everybody's talking about it. It's hurtful to think that this is 2010, and there are still people like that out there. I almost don't know what to say. It's probably just some idiot who wants some publicity. But I know the people in Sacramento, and they have been wonderful to me. I know they must feel bad about this. Same thing with the Kings. I'll just let the police handle this and focus on having a great season."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings...#ixzz0z4lfuFu3

http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2010/09/casspi-hurt-by.html
Class comment by Casspi. And quite honestly, I would have been shocked if it were anything but classy.

I also agree with Brick. It would have been much better if this had not been splashed across the media, but since it was I'm really proud of Sacramento for what seems like overwhelming support of Omri and condemnation of the pond scum that did the deed to begin with.

Isn't this just like what Manson has? I know Manson had kind of a sub-culture cult status for a while with teens. Dumbazz punks probably don't even understands what it stands for.

They know damn well what it stands for, but I would argue that they are doing it more for the sh*ts and giggles rather than as an outlet for racial/cultural hate, judging by the awful representation of (what has come to be) an awful symbol. Someone who truly believes in what the Swastika now is would definitely draw it correctly. It's not like its hard to draw.

They know damn well what it stands for, but I would argue that they are doing it more for the sh*ts and giggles rather than as an outlet for racial/cultural hate, judging by the awful representation of (what has come to be) an awful symbol. Someone who truly believes in what the Swastika now is would definitely draw it correctly. It's not like its hard to draw.
I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone HS or above that didn't know what a Swastika stands for. However, I do think that a lot of kids nowadays don't truly understand what it means. They are so far removed from the Nazis and the time when racism was part of the laws of this country that all they know is from their history books (or what they have been told). I remeber learning history in HS and college, and it was surprising how many were more interested in knowing what they needed for the tests that learned what it all actually meant in the grand scheme of things.

I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone HS or above that didn't know what a Swastika stands for. However, I do think that a lot of kids nowadays don't truly understand what it means. They are so far removed from the Nazis and the time when racism was part of the laws of this country that all they know is from their history books (or what they have been told). I remeber learning history in HS and college, and it was surprising how many were more interested in knowing what they needed for the tests that learned what it all actually meant in the grand scheme of things.
Welcome to the current school system.

This incident brings Casspi and the Sacramento Kings familty even closer together.
I am sure the posts are really encouranging him a lot.
There will always be idiots in this world..no one can change it.

Class comment by Casspi. And quite honestly, I would have been shocked if it were anything but classy.

I also agree with Brick. It would have been much better if this had not been splashed across the media, but since it was I'm really proud of Sacramento for what seems like overwhelming support of Omri and condemnation of the pond scum that did the deed to begin with.
That is one of the things that has always stood out to me when it comes to Casspi. He is truly a classy guy, and I am saddened by the stupidity of this simpleton. It is a shame that it received so much publicity.