Summer League Impressions (other than Kings)

Tatum had 12 rebounds so it's not like the guy is Kevin Martin out there. I don't see bust at all. He had a bad game and got embarrassed but he still has a lot of talent.

Donovan looks like Marcus Smart to me. I'll be watching him more closely this year. I love the way Smart plays the game, I just hate how he jacks up so many shots despite not being a shooter. I think Mitchell can bring a lot of the same things to the game, except with a 3 point shot.

Exum has talent but his shooting stroke is going to keep him in the lower tier of point guards in the league. Not sure if he will be able to fix that part of his game.

I love Mitchell, he's my type of guy, but that was a trip. I still think Tatum is going to be a very good player and potential all star if he can figure some stuff out. He's got talent. But sometimes effort trumps talent, especially if said effort has quite a bit of talent as well.

Donovan could have been called for a foul with the elbow. He knocked down Tatum/Tatums feet got tangled up. Donovan looks good but Tatum has shot that game winner like an ice cold assassin.
Set aside that play if you want to quibble over it, Tatum is soft as tissue paper. Donovan is a beast!

P.S. Call or non-call goes to the aggressor.

Siakam of Toronto is another 1st pick from last year that looked very impressive in SL. Very nice handlea for his size and vast array of moves around the rim

After the first nice pass, Ball looks very limited. Cant break his man down and create. Not sure i see him amounting to much.

Do like his passing but he doesn't seem to be able to create situations that can be takin advantage of with his passing. Not sure how many opportunities will come each day for his elite skill to be utilized. Especially considering he woll get torched on defense

Edit: when you cant keep kendal Marshall on front of you = red flag

Last edited:
Watching the half time interview with Ball Sr. I dont understand all the issues people complain about him. Seems like a great dad and very positive with a good energy vibe

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Watching the half time interview with Ball Sr. I dont understand all the issues people complain about him. Seems like a great dad and very positive with a good energy vibe
Spend some time watching clips on YouTube. There are tons of them out there.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lonzo really struggling in his 1st SL game so far.
Yes and no. He's pretty much who I thought he'd be.

He's not hitting shots tonight and I think he'll always struggle to keep his man in front of him but his instincts look very good and his passing has been infectious.

I think he ends up as a Rubio who can hit open threes (which is a good player IMO) but I think husband limitations keep him from being a superstar. I like his game a lot though.

Brandon Ingram is definitely showing some growth.

He's not hitting shots tonight and I think he'll always struggle to keep his man in front of him but his instincts look very good and his passing has been infectious.

I think he ends up as a Rubio who can hit open threes (which is a good player IMO) but I think husband limitations keep him from being a superstar. I like his game a lot though.

Always thought of Lonzo as the 6'6 version of Ty Lawson. Lonzo is really really struggling to breakdown defenses. Penetration game has been almost non-existent. Shots not really falling his way either.

Always thought of Lonzo as the 6'6 version of Ty Lawson. Lonzo is really really struggling to breakdown defenses. Penetration game has been almost non-existent. Shots not really falling his way either.
Not sure i see the Ty Lawson comparison seing how Lawson is a fantastic penetrater.
In what sense are you making the comparison?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see Lawson only because at his best Ty was a drive a kick wizard. I see a less physical Kidd with a jumper or a less ball dominant Rubio without the one-on-one defense but who can hit open shots. FWIW I think Ball will be a good team defender but opponents will be looking for ways to exploit him in ISOs.

Lonzo has huge strengths and huge warts. I figured he'd struggle in SL because his game is predicated on timing, passing, familiarity, precision etc and in these games there's little of any of those things.

With time and more talented teammates I think he'll look much better but unless he fixes some of his flaws (loose handle/inability to break guys down, windup shot form that hurts his pull-up ability, lack of a midrange game, poor individual defense) I think he's going to be good but not great.

It's funny but the guy that Ball actually reminds me of the most is Teodosic and now they'll both be playing in LA.

Rubio plays D and can penetrate. Ball looks alarmingly slow. Im not watching that closely so maybe im missing something but just not seeing how this guy is going to be even a starter assuming his off shooting night isnt the sign of a shooting issue

Thank god we weren't in position to draft Ball dude is ass his assist are off pass a heads or making an extra pass. This guys sucks at the pick and roll, can't get by his defender , can't play defense.

Seriously he hasn't made a dribble move to get in to mid range vs slow ass Kendall Marshall

Thank god we weren't in position to draft Ball dude is ass his assist are off pass a heads or making an extra pass. This guys sucks at the pick and roll, can't get by his defender , can't play defense.

Seriously he hasn't made a dribble move to get in to mid range vs slow ass Kendall Marshall
Exactamondo! It was obvious from Day 1! He can't get into the lane. He is over-hedging on his man giving him the red carpet to drive the lane. His shot is jacked! He doesn't have burst of speed or competitive fire. What is there to like?!?! All hype!!!

Ooh wait....he's tall for a PG. At least he has that going for him. o_O