Sulaimon

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Learn how to spell his name. This kid is really, really impressive. He's an OMG impressive kid. (I finally saw the Louisville-Duke game on the DVR). Very athletic wing. Has the long range shot, the intermediate nice pull-up jumper, he can handle, AND he's really got the IQ. Two plays come to mind. Both of these are bang-bang plays. On one he gets the ball going full tilt on a fast break within about 12 ft from the basket. Because there are two guys on him, he instantaneously does a beautiful behind the back pass to a big near the basket, who was also semi covered, so the pass had to be perfect; the big gets an easy layup. On the other play, it's a loose ball up in the air and he's surrounded by other players and they all goes for it. He jumps way up in the air and with another split-second decision he batts the ball to a teamate about 20 ft away. These are the type of plays that 99.999% of humanity can't make. His computer is operating at another level. WOWZA. So how many games do we have to lose to get this kid? :p

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Learn how to spell his name. This kid is really, really impressive. He's an OMG impressive kid. (I finally saw the Louisville-Duke game on the DVR). Very athletic wing. Has the long range shot, the intermediate nice pull-up jumper, he can handle, AND he's really got the IQ. Two plays come to mind. Both of these are bang-bang plays. On one he gets the ball going full tilt on a fast break within about 12 ft from the basket. Because there are two guys on him, he instantaneously does a beautiful behind the back pass to a big near the basket, who was also semi covered, so the pass had to be perfect; the big gets an easy layup. On the other play, it's a loose ball up in the air and he's surrounded by other players and they all goes for it. He jumps way up in the air and with another split-second decision he batts the ball to a teamate about 20 ft away. These are the type of plays that 99.999% of humanity can't make. His computer is operating at another level. WOWZA. So how many games do we have to lose to get this kid? :p
LOL! I love your enthusiasim. I saw the game! I've only seen Duke play twice, so before passing judgement, I have to see him play a lot more. But your right, he looked good. He was the 14th ranked highschool player in the nation, so anytime you get a player in the top 20, its possible you have something special. But lets be patient, and give him another 15 or so games before coming to conclusions. He is one of the players on my watch list though, along with Archie Goodwin of Kentucky, and some others at the SG position. The kids a very good athlete though, and I love his energy.

Your statement brought to mind something I said to Unci03 a couple of years ago. I was telling him about Terrence Jones at the time, and a play that he made, that only a few players could have made. Problem was, he never made that play again. Not to be critical of him. But the question is, can a player live up to the standard he sometimes sets for himself? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
LOL! I love your enthusiasim. I saw the game! I've only seen Duke play twice, so before passing judgement, I have to see him play a lot more. But your right, he looked good. He was the 14th ranked highschool player in the nation, so anytime you get a player in the top 20, its possible you have something special. But lets be patient, and give him another 15 or so games before coming to conclusions. He is one of the players on my watch list though, along with Archie Goodwin of Kentucky, and some others at the SG position. The kids a very good athlete though, and I love his energy.

Your statement brought to mind something I said to Unci03 a couple of years ago. I was telling him about Terrence Jones at the time, and a play that he made, that only a few players could have made. Problem was, he never made that play again. Not to be critical of him. But the question is, can a player live up to the standard he sometimes sets for himself? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.
I put a lot of weight on first impressions. As you have said before (in so many words), you can overthink things. That doesn't mean that I can't change my mind, but it does mean that I give this kid the benefit of the doubt from here on out, not the doubt of the benefit.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I put a lot of weight on first impressions. As you have said before (in so many words), you can overthink things. That doesn't mean that I can't change my mind, but it does mean that I give this kid the benefit of the doubt from here on out, not the doubt of the benefit.
No no, I like this kid too. So don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you. I always look for someone that has the wow factor. Someone that makes me stand up and take notice. If I have to talk myself into a player, I'm usually wrong. I never did totally talk myself into Thomas Robinson. I loved his energy, and rebounding. I could see a good player there in the future, but I wasn't convinced he was offensively skilled enough right now to be drafted as high as number 5. I couldn't convince myself he wasn't skilled enough either.

Sulaimon only has average size for the SG position. His measurements from the Lebron James academy list him at 6'4.25". However he also has a 6'8' wingspan, which allows him to play taller than he is, and he's a very good athlete, and so far, has shown himself to be a good defender. His only weakness I can see right now is finishing at the basket. His outside shot looks good as does him midrange. Maturity, and added muscle will help him attack the basket. He's gettin a lot of minutes for a freshman, so we'll get to see a lot of him. Curry is having a good year for Duke as well.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No no, I like this kid too. So don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you. I always look for someone that has the wow factor. Someone that makes me stand up and take notice. If I have to talk myself into a player, I'm usually wrong. I never did totally talk myself into Thomas Robinson. I loved his energy, and rebounding. I could see a good player there in the future, but I wasn't convinced he was offensively skilled enough right now to be drafted as high as number 5. I couldn't convince myself he wasn't skilled enough either.

Sulaimon only has average size for the SG position. His measurements from the Lebron James academy list him at 6'4.25". However he also has a 6'8' wingspan, which allows him to play taller than he is, and he's a very good athlete, and so far, has shown himself to be a good defender. His only weakness I can see right now is finishing at the basket. His outside shot looks good as does him midrange. Maturity, and added muscle will help him attack the basket. He's gettin a lot of minutes for a freshman, so we'll get to see a lot of him. Curry is having a good year for Duke as well.
It's going to be interesting to see where he gets drafted. He seems like the type of kid that goes higher and higher as the year progresses, similar to what we saw of Kemba Walker and Brandon Knight a couple of years ago. Another thing I liked about his game is that he makes it look easy. He came running down the floor on the fast break and pulled up easily for a very easy 15 footer and just tickled the twine.

As far as Robinson is concerned, I was happy with the pick then, and still happy about it now. I didn't happen to see Lillard in college, so I can't really look back and say woulda, coulda, shoulda on that one. Robinson just needs to define his game, or I should say the coach needs to define his game at this point in his young career. It's ok to try him out at the 3 leading fast breaks in the summer league, but that's over. Now he needs to concentrate on D and rebounding, hitting the open jump shot, and also using that quick first step to get the hole. On fast breaks he needs to be the wing guy finishing the play, not the guy leading the break. They also should be using him in trap situations on defense, as he is very quick covering the floor. Ultimately, his speciallness is going to be determined on how well he incorporates that quick first step into his game. I have yet to see a big guy able to stay in front of him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There are about 4 or 5 guards that I really like, Sulaimon being among them. As a matter of fact, my two favorites are Sulaimon and McLemore. And I'm talking about SG's, not PG's. My problem is, that the Kings already have too many SG's on the team. So I'm mainly concentrating on SF's and big men, since thats our area of need. Now personally I believe we should always go with the best player available, but thats not always how it works.

Of course our current roster could change dramaticly at seasons end. I assume that Cisco will be gone. Salmons might be traded since its his last year on his contract, and he is a valuable player, expecially to a potential championship team. My gut tells me that Tyreke is going to be traded. I have no rumors on which to base that, just a gut feeling. But my point is, we may need help at the SG position in the future, so who knows. What I find appealing about Sulaimon is his ability to play defense. He has tremendous potential. However, I'll be surprised if he declares for the draft. Duke players have a tendecy to stay more than one year. There are exceptions of couse, like Austin Rivers.

By the way, McAdoo is sliding down my wish list. I see he's starting to slide down the draft boards as well. He hasn't been playing that well, especially defensively, and he doesn't bring much to the table offensively. He's rebounding fairly well, but nothing exceptional. Don't get me wrong, he's still a good prospect, but he's currently not a top 10, maybe not even a top 15 prospect.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There are about 4 or 5 guards that I really like, Sulaimon being among them. As a matter of fact, my two favorites are Sulaimon and McLemore. And I'm talking about SG's, not PG's. My problem is, that the Kings already have too many SG's on the team. So I'm mainly concentrating on SF's and big men, since thats our area of need. Now personally I believe we should always go with the best player available, but thats not always how it works.

Of course our current roster could change dramaticly at seasons end. I assume that Cisco will be gone. Salmons might be traded since its his last year on his contract, and he is a valuable player, expecially to a potential championship team. My gut tells me that Tyreke is going to be traded. I have no rumors on which to base that, just a gut feeling. But my point is, we may need help at the SG position in the future, so who knows. What I find appealing about Sulaimon is his ability to play defense. He has tremendous potential. However, I'll be surprised if he declares for the draft. Duke players have a tendecy to stay more than one year. There are exceptions of couse, like Austin Rivers.

By the way, McAdoo is sliding down my wish list. I see he's starting to slide down the draft boards as well. He hasn't been playing that well, especially defensively, and he doesn't bring much to the table offensively. He's rebounding fairly well, but nothing exceptional. Don't get me wrong, he's still a good prospect, but he's currently not a top 10, maybe not even a top 15 prospect.
I really think Sulaimon is more of a combo guard. From my limited observations and your comments I would take it that Sulaimon gets the edge over McLemore in the ballhandling area. Maybe McLemore is a better shooter? I don't know.

I never did see McAdoo play; just read about his high BB IQ, and given the Kings relatively low BB IQ, those kind of players at least hit my radar screen for further attention.

Wouldn't surprise me either about Tyreke, though his injured status for this extended period might hinder such a trade. If he gets back in BB shape in the next week or so, it might improve the chance of a trade.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I really think Sulaimon is more of a combo guard. From my limited observations and your comments I would take it that Sulaimon gets the edge over McLemore in the ballhandling area. Maybe McLemore is a better shooter? I don't know.

I never did see McAdoo play; just read about his high BB IQ, and given the Kings relatively low BB IQ, those kind of players at least hit my radar screen for further attention.

Wouldn't surprise me either about Tyreke, though his injured status for this extended period might hinder such a trade. If he gets back in BB shape in the next week or so, it might improve the chance of a trade.
Yes, Sulaimon is a much better ballhandler than McLemore. At least for now. I think both players are good shooters, but I'd have to give the edge to McLemore in that area since he's shooting around 48% overall and Sulaimon is shooting around 41% overall. Both are close in 3pt percentage. McLemore is at 40% while Sulaimon is at 37%. McLemore is a more physcial player, with a Mitch Richmond type of build, and is a better rebounder averaging 2 more boards a game than Sulaimon. both are excellent athletes, but Sulaimon is the better ballhandler and passer. So its sort of pick your poison!

I know he's not really focused on for this draft, but let's issue the hypothetical that he opted to enter and stay in this draft: I bet he'd be a late first round/early second round pick. He's playing that well. He's not much of a rebounder or a defensive playmaker, but he has a pretty refined offensive game for someone that young--pretty good shooter and can slash and hit the three, and for someone that young he already passes better than most NBA SGs. I think there's combo guard potential here if he continues to develop as well. He doesn't have an excellent build for his position, but decent enough, and his offensive game, potential combo ability and his youth should earn him quite a few looks, if he's willing to jump.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I know he's not really focused on for this draft, but let's issue the hypothetical that he opted to enter and stay in this draft: I bet he'd be a late first round/early second round pick. He's playing that well. He's not much of a rebounder or a defensive playmaker, but he has a pretty refined offensive game for someone that young--pretty good shooter and can slash and hit the three, and for someone that young he already passes better than most NBA SGs. I think there's combo guard potential here if he continues to develop as well. He doesn't have an excellent build for his position, but decent enough, and his offensive game, potential combo ability and his youth should earn him quite a few looks, if he's willing to jump.
I think he's definitely a first round pick. I have him going somewhere between 18 and 25 in the first round. He just has too much potential to slide too far. And yes, I can see him as a combo guard. He has very good BBIQ for a young player. He does need to get stronger, but there are a lot of SG's with a slight build. Kevin Martin springs to mind, as does Marshon Brooks. My gut tells me he'll stay at least one more year at Duke. But who knows?

K-Mart is a lot longer. Still Sulaimon has quick and pretty high release.
Draft is pretty open at this point and I think even more than usually Tourney will affect people's stock and Duke have a good chance to go very far with the right seeding. With wide spread opinion of draft weakness, I would expect a few underclassmen who are not deemed ready to test the waters, which with the latest changes to the draft process means they stay in. Sulaimon looks like one of those guys.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
K-Mart is a lot longer. Still Sulaimon has quick and pretty high release.
Draft is pretty open at this point and I think even more than usually Tourney will affect people's stock and Duke have a good chance to go very far with the right seeding. With wide spread opinion of draft weakness, I would expect a few underclassmen who are not deemed ready to test the waters, which with the latest changes to the draft process means they stay in. Sulaimon looks like one of those guys.
Yeah, you could be right. Sulaimon had a stellar day today, going for 25 pt's on just 13 shots. 6 of 8 from the 3pt line. Otto Porter played well today as well. 17 pts and 12 boards. I know people are saying its a weak draft, and as far as projected sure things go, I agree, but I do think there's a lot of talent to be had at the next level down. And a couple of stars will probably emmerge out of that group. Players like Trey Burke have the tools to be excellent players in the league. You just never know.