Stephen A. Smith Commentary (on Peja/Toronto)

I only caught the last bit of Smith's "The 'A' List" on ESPN just now, but he was talking about a possible interest in Peja from the Toronto Raptors. Whether they would trade for him or just wait until Peja opt out of the contact at the end of the year (for $11-12m/year)- I'm not sure.... Apparently Toronto has a large Serbian population. Anybody have more info on what he said?

Of course, I take ANYTHING Smith says with HALF a grain of salt. That guy has way too much of an ego. It's like a Hello Kitty head.

Last edited:
T

thesanityannex

Smith had some choice words for Adleman on the NBA Shootaround. He picked him as the first coach to get fired this year.

In NBA shootaround he just said Adelman could be the first coach to be fired this season. Anthony wondered what was going to happen to our fan base if we continue losing. They also said people were calling Peja MR. Softie at the arena the other night(I guess he meant at Denver?)

I am in TO, but did not hear anything about it. Yes, there is a big Serb population in TO, and all would love Pedja in here. since Raptors are in a danger of loosing the audience, that would be great move. serbs are known as basketball "fanatic", and they would fill the Air Canada centre (same as Serbs from detroit allways cheer for Milicic although he rarely plays).
Whatever happens, trade is a must for sacramento, and since Pedja is the oldest "trade talk" in town, it will most likely be him going somewhere before All star break.

Actually in the "A" List they said they were trying to get rid of Jalen Rose but they didnt say trade FOR Peja, they said get rid of Rose to make room to get Peja.

I think the Maloofs love Adelman enough to keep him around to him fail another 3 to 4 games. If he turns the ship around before then, good for him. He dodged a bullet. The next 4 home games will decide.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
unscratched said:
I only caught the last bit of Smith's "The 'A' List" on ESPN just now, but he was talking about a possible interest in Peja from the Toronto Raptors. Whether they would trade for him or just wait until Peja opt out of the contact at the end of the year (for $11-12m/year)- I'm not sure.... Apparently Toronto has a large Serbian population. Anybody have more info on what he said?

Of course, I take ANYTHING Smith says with HALF a grain of salt. That guy has way too much of an ego. It's like a Hello Kitty head.
Hmm...well, I try to ignore the dip****s on ESPN as much as I can, but that exact same idea, and for the same reason, has been raised on this board before. Who knows, maybe even where Screamin A got it from.

From Toronto's standpoint, not sure they could do that unless they found a taker for Jalen Rose -- but the Knicks are said to be interested, and might be willing to ship Penny's expiring deal for him. that would give the Raptors the cap room to have room to REsign Peja in the offseason if they ahd traded for him, but not nearly the room to sign him outright unless they get very lucky with some players opting out of contracts that would be dumb to do so.

So assuming the Raptors wanted a deal, the question would be what could they possibly send that we'd want? Bosh is probably untouchable. I like Joey Graham a lot, and would think that would be part of it. But what else do they have? Villanueva was rumored as a guy we might like as well. Araujo? Been a bust.

Last edited:
Who's Next?

I caught the tail end of SAS' commentary. I've been a huge Adelman fan and defended him for the past few years. I think he deserves another 15 games to get this team on track. There is too much talent there for them to be playing the way they have been. They just need time to gel...but if they don't I think it might be Adelman's turn to go. Does anyone have any coaching suggestions...?

Bballkingsrock said:
Actually in the "A" List they said they were trying to get rid of Jalen Rose but they didnt say trade FOR Peja, they said get rid of Rose to make room to get Peja.
that just means they wanna free up cap space so they can offer someone like peja a ludicrous amount of money in the offseason. from realgm.com:

Babcock Not Ready to Deal

Toronto Star - The phones are ringing and somewhere in the NBA panic may be setting in, yet Rob Babcock says it's not time to pull the trigger on a trade. Yet.

With some teams starting to realize they may not be as good as they thought they were, the Raptor general manager said early trade discussions have begun but that nothing is expected to come of any recent conversation.

"To me, it's too early," Babcock said yesterday. "You need to go longer than a week but the phone calls have been picking up."

But it's not as if Babcock hasn't been talking significant moves.

Two sources close to current Milwaukee centre Jamaal Magloire insist the New Orleans Hornets called the Raptors with serious enquiries before shipping the Toronto native to the Bucks two weeks ago but no deal could be worked out.

And one adviser to New York president of basketball operations Isiah Thomas is already suggesting to people around the league that the struggling Knicks could easily be persuaded to take Toronto's Jalen Rose.

The expiring contract of Penny Hardaway, worth about $15.7 million this season (all figures U.S.) might make sense in a deal and the Knicks twice expressed interest in Rose last season — in November when Vince Carter was traded and again at the trade deadline.

Toronto would save nearly $17 million in salary next year, allowing Babcock to have enough room under the expected tax level to pay the full mid-level exception to a free agent.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37890/20051111/babcock_not_ready_to_deal/

i say peja's gone for good, whether by way of midseason trade or free agency in the off season.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. Stephen A. Smith is an idiot.

2. I don't expect Toronto to get the best of Geoff Petrie come Hell or high water.

3. Stephen A. Smith is an idiot.

4. If Peja goes, he goes. If he stays, he stays. At this point, I honestly think WAAAAAAAAY too much time is being spent thinking about trades, etc. We're 5 games into the season. FIVE games. There's an incredible amount of work to be done, but to act as though it's already over for this team and the players is ridiculous in the extreme.

5. Stephen A. Smith is an idiot.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:

2. I don't expect Toronto to get the best of Geoff Petrie come Hell or high water.

4. If Peja goes, he goes. If he stays, he stays. At this point, I honestly think WAAAAAAAAY too much time is being spent thinking about trades, etc. We're 5 games into the season. FIVE games. There's an incredible amount of work to be done, but to act as though it's already over for this team and the players is ridiculous in the extreme.

Ack!!!!! I just saw it. The doughboy is wearing a gold Kings jersey. My eyes! They will never be the same.

So, VF21, what do you think of Stephen A. Smith? :p

Bricklayer

Let the rebuilding begin... ;)

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
11.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.6 apg in 28.6 minutes
Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia
20.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.1 apg in 38.4 minutes

Incoming
Joey Graham
6-7 from Oklahoma State
No games yet played in 2004/05
Charlie Villanueva
6-11 from Connecticut
Channing Frye
6-11 from Arizona
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG from Michigan
17.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 4.3 apg in 38.4 minutes
Change in team outlook: -13.7 ppg, -7.9 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

Toronto Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Joey Graham
6-7 from Oklahoma State
Charlie Villanueva
6-11 from Connecticut
Mike James
6-2 PG from Duquesne
12.4 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 25.6 minutes
Jalen Rose
6-8 SG from Michigan
18.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 33.5 minutes

Incoming
Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia
Anfernee Hardaway
6-7 SG from Memphis
7.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg in 24.2 minutes
Change in team outlook: -3.5 ppg, +0.1 rpg, and -1.4 apg.

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Channing Frye
6-11 from Arizona
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG from Michigan
Anfernee Hardaway
6-7 SG from Memphis

Incoming
Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
Mike James
6-2 PG from Duquesne
Jalen Rose
6-8 SG from Michigan
Change in team outlook: +17.2 ppg, +7.8 rpg, and +0.8 apg.

Successful ScenarioDue to Sacramento, Toronto, and New York being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento, Toronto, and New York had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Loren Woods, Charlie Villanueva and Morris Peterson for Peja. Works on trade checker- maybe put Charlie at PF if he plays well, gives us some more options off the bench. I wouldn't be too distraught about losing Peja, considering Villanueva could turn out to be very good, and if we don't like the other 2, we can let them walk after this season. Of course, there are probably much, much better packages that Petrie could fleece from someone else, seeing as Peja has at least shown of his amazing scoring ability this season, and a team that thinks it has the right parts to compliment him good go after him. But if it's near the end of the season, and thinks aren't looking too hot, turning Peja in to a long-term Villanueva and 2 expiring contracts is not bad. Especially since that means we have our new SF-SAR, with Charlie at PF. Makes the team look much tougher, esp if those 2 contracts give us the flexibility to resign Bonzi while we are moving forward.

EDIT: brick's seems more likely, and a lot more interesting. Let's see:
Bibby
Bonzi/Crawford
(sar?)Graham
SAR/Villanueva/Thomas
Miller/Frye

If all those guys pan out, this team is extraordinarily deep and talented, very different than the past teams, though. Although it absolutely means that we have to trade Thomas, and probably Corliss as well. And, in all likelihood, Skinner's minutes will be reduced so substantially that it would only make sense to add him in a trade, maybe go after a big time player. Compliment with this trade:

Outgoing

Brad Miller
7-0 C from Purdue
15.6 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 3.9 apg in 37.3 minutes

Bonzi Wells
6-5 SG from Ball State
10.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.2 apg in 21.6 minutes

Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico

Brian Skinner
6-9 PF from Baylor
2.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes
Incoming

Kevin Garnett
6-11 PF from Farragut Academy (HS)
22.2 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 5.7 apg in 38.0 minutes

Marko Jaric
6-7 PG from Serbia-Montenegro (Foreign)
9.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 6.1 apg in 33.1 minutes
Change in team outlook: -7.2 ppg, -5.0 rpg, and +4.9 apg.

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Kevin Garnett
6-11 PF from Farragut Academy (HS)
22.2 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 5.7 apg in 38.0 minutes

Marko Jaric
6-7 PG from Serbia-Montenegro (Foreign)
9.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 6.1 apg in 33.1 minutes
Incoming

Brad Miller
7-0 C from Purdue
15.6 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 3.9 apg in 37.3 minutes

Bonzi Wells
6-5 SG from Ball State
10.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.2 apg in 21.6 minutes

Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico

Brian Skinner
6-9 PF from Baylor
2.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes
Change in team outlook: +7.2 ppg, +5.0 rpg, and -4.9 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Sacramento and Minnesota being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento and Minnesota had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Gives us a lineup of:
Bibby/Jaric
Crawford
SAR/Graham
Garnett/Villanueva
Frye/Corliss

Sure, we throw Frye to the wolves, but who cares. It's worth it. That team is insanely deep and talented, those young guys become all-stars and this is a 10 year dynasty in the making.

Last edited:
VF21 said:

When in doubt see numbers 1, 3 and 5.

T

thesanityannex

Bricklayer said:

Outgoing
Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia

Incoming
Joey Graham
6-7 from Oklahoma State
Charlie Villanueva
6-11 from Connecticut
Channing Frye
6-11 from Arizona
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG from Michigan

That would be interesting. .

Bricklayer said:

Outgoing
Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia

Incoming
Joey Graham
6-7 from Oklahoma State
Charlie Villanueva
6-11 from Connecticut
Channing Frye
6-11 from Arizona
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG from Michigan

Toronto Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Joey Graham
6-7 from Oklahoma State
Charlie Villanueva
6-11 from Connecticut
Mike James
6-2 PG from Duquesne
Jalen Rose
6-8 SG from Michigan

Incoming
Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia
Anfernee Hardaway
6-7 SG from Memphis
Change in team outlook: -3.5 ppg, +0.1 rpg, and -1.4 apg.

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Channing Frye
6-11 from Arizona
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG from Michigan
Anfernee Hardaway
6-7 SG from Memphis

Incoming
Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
Mike James
6-2 PG from Duquesne
Jalen Rose
6-8 SG from Michigan
Change in team outlook: +17.2 ppg, +7.8 rpg, and +0.8 apg.

Successful ScenarioDue to Sacramento, Toronto, and New York being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento, Toronto, and New York had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
No way that we could get that one done. Just no way. I would jump all over that in a hot second. Channing Frye looks like he could be a star player from what I've seen.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
No way that we could get that one done. Just no way. I would jump all over that in a hot second.
ok, ok, we'll throw in Kevin to Toronto -- they need an OG anyway. ;)

SacTownKid said:
Channing Frye looks like he could be a star player from what I've seen.
Ironically I think he's a wuss. Villanueva too. But you take what you can get (and softies = "Kings" anyway). ;)

Bricklayer said:
Hmm...well, I try to ignore the dip****s on ESPN as much as I can, but that exact same idea, and for the same reason, has been raised on this board before. Who knows, maybe even where Screamin A got it from.

From Toronto's standpoint, not sure they could do that unless they found a taker for Jalen Rose -- but the Knicks are said to be interested, and might be willing to ship Penny's expiring deal for him. that would give the Raptors the cap room to have room to REsign Peja in the offseason if they ahd traded for him, but not nearly the room to sign him outright unless they get very lucky with some players opting out of contracts that would be dumb to do so.

So assuming the Raptors wanted a deal, the question would be what could they possibly send that we'd want? Bosh is probably untouchable. I like Joey Graham a lot, and would think that would be part of it. But what else do they have? Villanueva was rumored as a guy we might like as well. Araujo? Been a bust.
Dont touch Bosh - hes not going anywhere, and dont count on Grahm or Charlie.

;)

Bricklayer

Parni Valjak said:
Dont touch Bosh - hes not going anywhere, and dont count on Grahm or Charlie.

;)
The former I assume. The latter...problem for Tornoto is that their roster is PATHETIC. And I see no possible way they could ever get a Peja Stojakovic unless they included one or mroe of their kids. The rest of the roster collectively isn't worth Ronnie Price. ;)

Theres no point of trading Peja - The Raptors are not going to give up Bosh - or Joey, Charlie. You could of had Vince before, but now - you can have ................................. Williams ? Aaron

:D

I really like Graham, was hoping we'd get him too, but wasn't too realistic. He's just having a rough start so far. Villanueva I've never really heard or seen as a soft player.

Frye hasn't been soft as hyped coming in. Significantly. I've been watching him since pre-season (missed a couple games lately).