State of the Kings Pre-trade Deadline Edition

Will Haliburton be our best player at some point?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE the sound of that - loved Joerger
He's a lot better coach than Walton and most everyone else they've hired, since Adelman. Why Vlade thought that Walton would be be better than him, is again, baffling. You know what,... if Joerger had been in charge of the whole thing, this organization would be in a lot better place. Doncic would have been drafted, Hield would have remained in the style of play that resulted in his best year, etc etc.

Say what you want about the imperfections that everyone has, but he was/is better than anyone else they've brought in, outside of Malone

He's a lot better coach than Walton and most everyone else they've hired, since Adelman. Why Vlade thought that Walton would be be better than him, is again, baffling. You know what,... if Joerger had been in charge of the whole thing, this organization would be in a lot better place. Doncic would have been drafted, Hield would have remained in the style of play that resulted in his best year, etc etc.

Say what you want about the imperfections that everyone has, but he was/is better than anyone else they've brought in, outside of Malone
The problem is that Joeger was disliked by almost everyone on the team. There is no doubt that he is good at Xs & Os, but just not good with people. I have heard this from several places, but Jason Jones has mentioned this several times on podcasts.

I think what everyone is missing right now is the Kings are in the drivers seat. They don’t have bad contracts. They don’t have a tax issue. They don’t have to trade anyone. They aren’t looking for a move to win now. They can literally be patient and WIN trades, because they aren’t hunting for something. If they do nothing at all, we lose Bjelly, Whiteside and possibly Holmes. Holmes is really the only somewhat funky situation because of only having early bird rights, instead of full bird.

The problem is that Joeger was disliked by almost everyone on the team. There is no doubt that he is good at Xs & Os, but just not good with people. I have heard this from several places, but Jason Jones has mentioned this several times on podcasts.
I prefer a coach who is better at actual coaching, is hard nosed enough to hold players accountable, and doesn't just hand the keys over to unproven low IQ players. Buddy Hield may not have liked him, but thrived under his coaching style. The last thing this team needs is someone whose best attribute is being a "player's coach" or a "yes" man, that does whatever someone like Brandon Williams thinks is the best idea

What I don't understand from some here is the insistence of McNair to tell the world everything. Look how great that turned out with Vlade, bumbling that he "had a better deal 2 days ago".

McNair deserves the time to actually make moves before judging his resume. So far, he's only hit home-runs.
I had barely seen Petrie around much to a point where if I got pulled into a line-up, I probably won't recognize him outright.

Never bother me.

I prefer a coach who is better at actual coaching, is hard nosed enough to hold players accountable, and doesn't just hand the keys over to unproven low IQ players. Buddy Hield may not have liked him, but thrived under his coaching style. The last thing this team needs is someone whose best attribute is being a "player's coach" or a "yes" man, that does whatever someone like Brandon Williams thinks is the best idea
Exactly this. I think it shows a lot about the mental fortitude and maturity of our guys to be fine with a lame duck coach like Walton who will let them stink it up with a losing record and no signs of significant improvement, over someone who was a little more rough around the edges like Dave was but who was getting real results. I get that it can be difficult working with certain strong personalities in any job you are in, but the results should have been all that mattered in my honest opinion.

We’ve been a losing franchise consistently for approaching on two decades and the closest we have gotten to turning that around (aside from the Malone-DMC debacle) we s*** can the guy who’s improving the team and developing guys because our players are getting their feelings hurt and don’t want a strong coach at the helm. The more we hear of Walton support throughout the locker room during these long losing streaks it starts to reflect poorly on the players to me.

I'm not talking about upsetting players by holding them accountable. I'm talking about having everyone on the team disliking him to the point that he had lost the locker room. He managed to get on the wrong side of the players, management, and many of the press (there is evidence this happened in Memphis as well).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not talking about upsetting players by holding them accountable. I'm talking about having everyone on the team disliking him to the point that he had lost the locker room. He managed to get on the wrong side of the players, management, and many of the press (there is evidence this happened in Memphis as well).
You know who were well liked (by in large)......Vlade Divac and Luke Walton. When is this organization going to learn to just hire, draft, and retain those that are the most qualified to help this team start winning more often? McNair and Haliburton are a start

Let go from two teams for the same reason and no head coaching job since despite being a brilliant x and os coach sounds like a him problem.

Read somewhere recently Miami having interest in HB. Now I’m not pro trade Barnes and have read McNair has no interest trading him, but who knows.
Anyways, Achiuwa looked promising pre draft and could be an interesting piece especially with talk of moving Bagley.
Sorry, if brought up elsewhere... I have a hard time keeping up with all the threads.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Also, I have 100% confidence that McNair would only take on Kevin Love with significant future assets coming back. Would be terrified of this rumor with Vlade at the helm, thinking Love could push this team towards the playoffs.
That what I’m thinking. I’m also wondering what other trades like this might be out there.

Can’t think of any off the top of my head, but hey, that’s McNairs job!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Weren’t most of us once all aboard bringing on awful contracts if there were 1st attached?

I take the contract w/ firsts. If anyone in the office actually thinks Love is conducive to winning they deserve to be fired. Lmao
I mean, it's a big contract. 2.5 years, $75.8M left including this year's prorated salary. That's almost exactly what Buddy is owed ($75.5M) but Buddy is under contract for 3.5 years - and actually plays. And, of course, to take on Love's salary, you'd almost certainly be sending Buddy back, so if you're hoping to trade Buddy for value...welp. You'd better get some seriously good draft picks.

Cavs wouldn't send us 2 almost sure fire lottery picks to get rid of Love. If anything, they'd be protected and they'd wind up not being nearly as valuable in the end.
how about:

Cavs 2021 first, 2022 pick swap and Kevin Love for

Buddy Hield and Marvin Bagley.

Cavs can run a lineup of

Sexton
Okoro
Osman
Bagley
Allen

Buddy can come in and average 18 off the bench and Marvin gets to shine next to a defensive center with size and be more of a focal point on offense. They could also start Buddy for the rest of this year and groom Okoro.

You could make an argument Marvin and Buddy would help the Cavs more than say the 7th or 8th pick (might not even be that high since they play in the East) And Change of scenery could be great for both players.

Kings lineup of

Fox
Haliburton
DQJ
Love
Holmes

with 6 picks in a good draft. (4 of our own and firsts from Boston and Cleveland)

Last edited:
Cleveland wins that deal pretty big I think - they're going to have to give two picks to get rid of Love he's absolutely useless, and if they got Buddy back I'd still say they come out ahead. Throwing in Bagley makes it lopsided in their favor.
If I’m Cleveland, I’m not giving up multiple firsts for nothing in return. They don’t need the cap space next year since they are still rebuilding but they do need Love gone the following year when Sexton’s extension kicks in.

Buddy is probably worth a non lottery pick on his own (depending on who you ask) and we don’t know what Bagleys value is but I don’t think a top ten pick is far off when combining their value. We really don’t need the cap space either as Loves contract is about the same money as Buddy/Bagley and we would in theory have the cap space created by the Barnes trade.

I highly doubt a trade like this happens but a core of Fox/Ty, 3 2021 firsts and 3 2021 seconds sounds pretty good to me.

If I’m Cleveland, I’m not giving up multiple firsts for nothing in return. They don’t need the cap space next year since they are still rebuilding but they do need Love gone the following year when Sexton’s extension kicks in.

Buddy is probably worth a non lottery pick on his own (depending on who you ask) and we don’t know what Bagleys value is but I don’t think a top ten pick is far off when combining their value. We really don’t need the cap space either as Loves contract is about the same money as Buddy/Bagley and we would in theory have the cap space created by the Barnes trade.

I highly doubt a trade like this happens but a core of Fox/Ty, 3 2021 firsts and 3 2021 seconds sounds pretty good to me.
If we gave them Buddy and Bagley and had Love eating up our cap I don't think we'd even exercise the pick swap.

We clear a lot of contracts out this offseason, while I am not convinced that anyone is coming to sign with this current team I am not taking Love's dead money on for two guys that would get heavy minutes in Cleveland without serious compensation, one pick and a swap isn't serious.

We clear a lot of contracts out this offseason, while I am not convinced that anyone is coming to sign with this current team I am not taking Love's dead money on for two guys that would get heavy minutes in Cleveland without serious compensation, one pick and a swap isn't serious.
If we don’t trade Barnes we won’t have any cap space this year to sign anyone anyway other than maybe Holmes. With Fox’s extension kicking in we will be spending near the cap.

Would you do a 21 and 23 first rounder + Love for Bags and Buddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.