State of the Kings Pre-trade Deadline Edition

Will Haliburton be our best player at some point?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s pure speculation and wishful thinking on my part so it’s possible he will be a hot commodity. I do think his value is held back by the fact he is not a rim protector or a creator on offense. Still, offensively efficient centers with plus defensive metrics don’t grow on trees.
Plus Holmes’ range is ten feet or less. His lack of range can get exploited, as the Magic did a month or so ago when they sat at the ten feet area and dared Holmes to shoot a non push shot, facilitate, or drive. Holmes did none of those things.

On defense, he simply doesn’t give you the shot altering presence that a true 5 does. Not long enough for that role.

I love dude’s hustle and productivity, but he should be an energy bench big, earning around $10m or less per year. Anything more than that is an over pay. Trade him and try to re-sign him as a bench big.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think it was a limit since he signed the contract he did. He's only able to get a certain raise which I think was said to be around 15 million a year or something. In a world where one dimensional SG's get 18-24 million a season it's a scary thought to gamble on losing him too.
We can only give Holmes about $10M (175% raise on this year, or the MLE, whichever is higher, and those will be close) unless we sign him with cap space, in which case we're not limited. As the team stands now, we will probably have less than $15M in cap space, but how much will depend on whether we cut Justin James and where our 1st rounder ends up. But keep in mind, for anybody else to offer him more than the MLE, they'd have to have cap space to do it as well, and that's a scarce resource these days.

Pretty funny Bags family asking DFox to pass the ball. Bags is not much of a passer himself. Can't be good in the locker room for this crap to still be happening

Just read this nugget from the new Sam Amick article and I think I'm just about checked out now.

"The Kings are clearly still pondering the possibility of adding the kind of impact piece that they believe would put them in the playoff mix."

https://theathletic.com/2450395/202...efore-the-deadline?source=user-shared-article
Id agree unless that impact player is a young all star caliber type. The whole point of drafting high is to acquire that level of player so if it can be done via trade so be it. Or it could be Lowry for our first rounder haha

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Just read this nugget from the new Sam Amick article and I think I'm just about checked out now.

"The Kings are clearly still pondering the possibility of adding the kind of impact piece that they believe would put them in the playoff mix."

https://theathletic.com/2450395/202...efore-the-deadline?source=user-shared-article
Have to love the reaction to getting blown out by the mediocre Hawks is “We’re a piece away from the playoffs probably.”

I hope they trade Haliburton and Bagley for Kyle Lowry.

This team sucks.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We can only give Holmes about $10M (175% raise on this year, or the MLE, whichever is higher, and those will be close) unless we sign him with cap space, in which case we're not limited. As the team stands now, we will probably have less than $15M in cap space, but how much will depend on whether we cut Justin James and where our 1st rounder ends up. But keep in mind, for anybody else to offer him more than the MLE, they'd have to have cap space to do it as well, and that's a scarce resource these days.
Ok so I thought it was going to be 20M minus the draft pick which would probably leave us in the 14-16 range (assuming he's the only guy we're even entertaining bringing back). And the thought of paying that for Holmes doesn't sit too well with me. 10-12 I think he has earned although he definitely loses his "value" tag.

Id agree unless that impact player is a young all star caliber type. The whole point of drafting high is to acquire that level of player so if it can be done via trade so be it. Or it could be Lowry for our first rounder haha
There are a couple of schools of thought depending on where Monte thinks the team is. 1. Ship out the vets and collect draft picks and assets. 2. Ship out draft picks ans assets to get that difference maker. If Monte is at option 2, it would explain the noncommittment to playing young guys, including Bagley.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The context is the Kings aren't motivated to move Barnes for young players and picks.
Ok - so we're talking keeping Barnes for next season and getting in that mix? Presumably with a top 10 (hopefully better) pick this year and a new coach? Because I'm all on board with that. I think the biggest questions would be how to unload CuJo and Bjeli at the deadline, what to do with Holmes, and possibly entertaining offers on Buddy before we move Barnes.

edit: particularly if this is about the Celtics deals on the table where the best deals proposed still swing in the Celtics favor and yet are rumored to be more than Ainge wants to pay.

Ok - so we're talking keeping Barnes for next season and getting in that mix? Presumably with a top 10 (hopefully better) pick this year and a new coach? Because I'm all on board with that. I think the biggest questions would be how to unload CuJo and Bjeli at the deadline, what to do with Holmes, and possibly entertaining offers on Buddy before we move Barnes.

edit: particularly if this is about the Celtics deals on the table where the best deals proposed still swing in the Celtics favor and yet are rumored to be more than Ainge wants to pay.
I’ve warmed up to the idea of keeping HB for the mean time as well. I almost wonder if we can get any bites for Buddy by attaching Holmes to the deal I mean one can only dream

I'm not against keeping Barnes. I don't like the idea being buyers right now to get into the playoffs though. It's the same treadmill the team has been on for years. If Monte thought we were that close already, he probably should have kept Bogi and Bazemore.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ok so I thought it was going to be 20M minus the draft pick which would probably leave us in the 14-16 range (assuming he's the only guy we're even entertaining bringing back). And the thought of paying that for Holmes doesn't sit too well with me. 10-12 I think he has earned although he definitely loses his "value" tag.
Yeah, I figure we'll pick up DQJ's option, and our first rounder will get ~$4M (#8 makes a bit over that, #9 makes a bit under that), so that leaves us at about $97.5M on a $112.5M cap if we let Justin James go. We're only looking at $20M if we cut everybody we can cut and trade away our pick - obviously if we trade our pick we'll have player movement as well so we'd have to take another look at the numbers.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm not against keeping Barnes. I don't like the idea being buyers right now to get into the playoffs though. It's the same treadmill the team has been on for years. If Monte thought we were that close already, he probably should have kept Bogi and Bazemore.
I guess I am just thinking some are reading into the idea of keeping Barnes as a this year move instead of a next two years move? We haven't fired Walton which to me indicates this team has no interest in competing this year nor do they have an interest in allowing the type of turnaround that would stick them with the interim coach long term.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Read the Amick article. I think McNair is taking the correct approach. Teams need to step up the offers for Barnes or you just keep him. This could be eyewash too. Who knows?

Same goes for Bagley.

I suspect, and it’s just me, that if Bagley and Hield package could bring back a piece the Kings wanted, that would be on the table.

Bjelica sounds like he will be gone for a decent get. One rumor I had read, more like a made up rumor target, was Bjelica to the Warriors for a TWolves 2nd rounder and Jordan Poole. I would take that all day as Poole has been putting it together a bit as of late And the 2nd rounder is high

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Yeah, I figure we'll pick up DQJ's option, and our first rounder will get ~$4M (#8 makes a bit over that, #9 makes a bit under that), so that leaves us at about $97.5M on a $112.5M cap if we let Justin James go. We're only looking at $20M if we cut everybody we can cut and trade away our pick - obviously if we trade our pick we'll have player movement as well so we'd have to take another look at the numbers.
I hadn't factored DQJ in the mix but yeah, I would like to keep him. If we are expecting Holmes to command more than 12million next season I think we should consider entertaining him as part of a larger package that moves Bjeli and CoJo out.

I'll give it to the deadline to see if this isnt smokescreen. But if they do win now moves or do little to move off Vlades roster, I'm out.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The talk of Sabonis made me think of who we eventually took.

2-time Greek League All-Star and won the Greek League Dunk Contest this season. I think we should call our surly big boy back home.

So they're showing signs of short cutting another rebuild because they think they're on the cusp if they can just add one more available piece out there?

That's the tried and true purgatory rebuild method that we've become accustomed to. Keep running it back with new random pieces until the players on the roster no longer have trade value and get traded away for pennies or leave while netting nothing in return.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm really not sure how not wanting to take any deal on the table for Barnes is short cutting a rebuild. Can we not cast the sins of past administrations onto the new regime just yet?

I'll give it to the deadline to see if this isnt smokescreen. But if they do win now moves or do little to move off Vlades roster, I'm out.
We'll see. Barnes is one piece that the Kings should be playing hard-ball on and getting max value for. If the deal isn't there, don't sell a valuable player just to sell.

Completely agree on CoJo/Whiteside/Bjelica and to a certain extent, Buddy.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
We'll see. Barnes is one piece that the Kings should be playing hard-ball on and getting max value for. If the deal isn't there, don't sell a valuable player just to sell.

Completely agree on CoJo/Whiteside/Bjelica and to a certain extent, Buddy.
I'm much keener on moving Buddy but doesn't sound like there are any takers. CoJo and Bjelica have to be gone. If people really want picks in the 20+ range we can probably take on a bad contract for those but likely that means we lose Holmes if there is a bidding war on his services - I am unclear why that would happen given how we've been alarmed at every other big man costing us billions signing with other teams on minimum deals, but I get the constant state of fear that Kings fans are in about losing an asset. Which is why I am so puzzled at some people's eagerness to let Barnes go for peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.