Standings Prediction

With Free Agency winding down and training camp starting soon, let's predict the final standings for the Western and Eastern Conference.

West
Lakers
Nuggets
Clippers
Blazers
Mavs
Jazz
Warriors
Suns
Rockets
Pelicans
Grizzlies
Wolves
Kings
Spurs
Thunder

East
Bucks
Sixers
Nets
Raptors
Heat
Celtics
Pacers
Wizards
Hawks
Magic
Hornets
Knicks
Pistons
Cavs

Last edited:
With playin tournament makes 10 playoff teams
I would put Pels in 10th in above list
Still leaves Rockets, Griz,Wolves above us at 14th
But Kings would have to go up 4 slots to make the 10th spot

Maybe we have better record than two of the three which is my prediction at 12th spot
Would rather end up at 15 with OKC,Knicks,Piston,Cavs below us in the draft

6. Kings aren't tanking with these moves. McNair is going to keep the last two spots open as a revolving door for prospects/rec projects, similar to what Farhan is doing with the Giants. Kings are going to be a much better defensive team, longer at the 2/3 spots. I'm betting on Bagley having an 18/10 year.

Note: the above runs contrary to my preference for the Kings to tank, but with Haliburton playing next to Fox, Whiteside/Metu playing goalie, DQJ trying to establish himself, and Kaminsky, Jabari, and Big Dog 3.0 playing for another 5 years in the league, I think this team over performs. Hope I'm wrong and Buddy goes full tank commander.

I don't know if we beat the Spurs. They basically replaced Marco Bellinelli and Brynn Forbes (two of the worst defenders in the NBA) with Devin Vassell and Tre Jones. Also Aldridge will be 100% healthy this year. A lot depends on what we get from Haliburton and Bagley. A Marvin Bagley with a right hand and a consistent jump shot completely transform this team, but who knows if that happens. I'd think that if Bagley was making these strides there would've been some video released similar to Ben Simmons working on his shooting.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't know if we beat the Spurs. They basically replaced Marco Bellinelli and Brynn Forbes (two of the worst defenders in the NBA) with Devin Vassell and Tre Jones. Also Aldridge will be 100% healthy this year. A lot depends on what we get from Haliburton and Bagley. A Marvin Bagley with a right hand and a consistent jump shot completely transform this team, but who knows if that happens. I'd think that if Bagley was making these strides there would've been some video released similar to Ben Simmons working on his shooting.
Marvin Bagley learning a right and and consistent jumper in one offseason after not doing the first X years of his life/career seems very very unlikely. Lol

My Spurs prediction was based on them trading Aldridge and or Derozan at the break. They have to know they aren’t contenders and need to get younger.

6. Kings aren't tanking with these moves. McNair is going to keep the last two spots open as a revolving door for prospects/rec projects, similar to what Farhan is doing with the Giants. Kings are going to be a much better defensive team, longer at the 2/3 spots. I'm betting on Bagley having an 18/10 year.

Note: the above runs contrary to my preference for the Kings to tank, but with Haliburton playing next to Fox, Whiteside/Metu playing goalie, DQJ trying to establish himself, and Kaminsky, Jabari, and Big Dog 3.0 playing for another 5 years in the league, I think this team over performs. Hope I'm wrong and Buddy goes full tank commander.
I fully expect us to be a much better team than last year but I think the teams above us got much better too. What teams that I have ahead of the kings on my list do you expect to be worse than Sac?

I fully expect us to be a much better team than last year but I think the teams above us got much better too. What teams that I have ahead of the kings on my list do you expect to be worse than Sac?
My prediction is based on the Kings over performing and less on the competition. Fox and Bagley are capable of exponential jumps because of their age and career arch. I think Halliburton's baseline is going to be high--like ROY high. And you bet on survival (DQJ, GR3.0, Frank, Jabari) every time.

But, again, I hope Buddy goes full tank commander. Seek and destroy, Buddy Love!

His jumper wasn't really that broken his rookie season and he was too injured last season to really see if he's made any progress or not.
His jumper looks fine he just has zero confidence in it. The way he immediately tries to get his own rebound rather than follow through with his form shows how little he expects it to go in. Also he suited up enough last year to know he made zero progress on his right hand. It's already a massive problem he can't use it (mind boggling really), but if he goes into year 3 and still can't use it at all it's fair to wonder just how long he lasts in the league. What team needs a player with such a handicap? I have to think there is at least one person around Marvin trying to drill this into him and get him to make it his top priority, but for whatever reason I don't think there is.

Marvin Bagley learning a right and and consistent jumper in one offseason after not doing the first X years of his life/career seems very very unlikely. Lol
List of things likely to happen to Marvin Bagley
1. Drop another album before he drops another assist.
2. Get a consistent jumper.
3. Get a right hand.
4. Become a passable defender.
5. Be content with a bench role.
999,999. Become Giannis.
1,000,000. Become God.
1,000,001. Become a willing and able passer.

His jumper looks fine he just has zero confidence in it. The way he immediately tries to get his own rebound rather than follow through with his form shows how little he expects it to go in. Also he suited up enough last year to know he made zero progress on his right hand. It's already a massive problem he can't use it (mind boggling really), but if he goes into year 3 and still can't use it at all it's fair to wonder just how long he lasts in the league. What team needs a player with such a handicap? I have to think there is at least one person around Marvin trying to drill this into him and get him to make it his top priority, but for whatever reason I don't think there is.
This is really being overplayed. His dominant hand got him a scholarship to Duke, became a consensus All American and a top 5 lottery pick. The amount that the average player scores with their weak hand is actually very minimal in most cases.

Just the monthly reminder that Marvin didn't select himself in the draft, so it's not his fault he's here. He was going to be a top 5 pick in a talented draft even if the Kings didn't select him. His injuries are unfortunate, but not a sign of him failing at basketball.

Last edited:

I can see Whiteside, but you've got Metu, DQJ, Kaminsky, Jabari and Robinson III putting us ahead of where we were last year? Those guys are all below average or G leaguers. I think people are vastly overrating the majority of the scrubs that the Kings have signed this year. We'll be lucky if one of them turns out to be average.

I can see Whiteside, but you've got Metu, DQJ, Kaminsky, Jabari and Robinson III putting us ahead of where we were last year? Those guys are all below average or G leaguers. I think people are vastly overrating the majority of the scrubs that the Kings have signed this year. We'll be lucky if one of them turns out to be average.
I actually think these guys are the first of many. If they're levering the final two spots correctly, they'll be signing, releasing, and trading most if not all of the names listed above. Maybe find a diamond in the process. The Giants signed and released players within a week. Vicious, but you gotta apply that free trial policy to lever it correctly.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
People overrating Kings players and acquisitions? You don’t say?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Halliburton < bogie
Whiteside > Len/giles
Robinson < bazemore
Healthy bagley > injured bagley

rest are same or bench fodder. The key is bagley and Halliburton

It's hard to predict for me. On the one hand, I agree most teams out west have better/ more proven rosters/ coaching staff than us. On the other hand, we regressed for much of last year, owing, in part, to our coach slowing us down and playing away from one of our key strengths. Recent noise suggests we should pick up the pace a bit more. Not convinced that will be enough for a playoff spot and - really - I don't mind (that much). I just want to see the team go out and play. In terms of roster moves. I don't think losing Bogi will hurt that much. Hoping Tyrese's passing lifts spirits.

This is really being overplayed. His dominant hand got him a scholarship to Duke, became a consensus All American and a top 5 lottery pick. The amount that the average player scores with their weak hand is actually very minimal in most cases.

Just the monthly reminder that Marvin didn't select himself in the draft, so it's not his fault he's here. He was going to be a top 5 pick in a talented draft even if the Kings didn't select him. His injuries are unfortunate, but not a sign of him failing at basketball.
plenty of top 5 picks have failed or not lived up to expectations even when healthy

I don't see how they could do better than last year other than to stay healthy this time around. This especially pertains to Fox, although Holmes and Bagley were also out. The only real improvement I see otherwise is the addition of depth/size at center.

I'd argue that the lack of a good off hand wasn't really needed prior to him being in the NBA. The competition was a lot less fierce and Marvin probably never had much of a problem bodying someone up when going to his left or just shooting over the top of them with ease. In the NBA it's different. It is very easy for defenders to force him into uncomfortable situations and take bad shots. How many times did we see Marvin drive with his left, be forced to spin to his right, and throw up and awkward fadeaway type shot with his left and miss? How many times did we see Marvin grab a board on the right side of the hoop and instead of just tapping it in with his right hand for an easy two, bring the ball down, reset, and try and get a now contested shot off with his left?

I do think it's something that could be overcome, especially if he starts knocking down more jumpers, but why try and deal with it when you can just spend time trying to fix it? For a guy like Marvin who has such a special touch down low it doesn't make sense for him to leave so many points on the board.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I totally disagree with that first paragraph. The NBA is a different beast than when he was beating up kids in high school and college. Pro-level athletes know what’s coming and have the skills and body to stop it. He can’t/doesn’t go the other way, and his way is now defended by guys who can actually defend it. It’s a problem.

I'd argue that the lack of a good off hand wasn't really needed prior to him being in the NBA. The competition was a lot less fierce and Marvin probably never had much of a problem bodying someone up when going to his left or just shooting over the top of them with ease. In the NBA it's different. It is very easy for defenders to force him into uncomfortable situations and take bad shots. How many times did we see Marvin drive with his left, be forced to spin to his right, and throw up and awkward fadeaway type shot with his left and miss? How many times did we see Marvin grab a board on the right side of the hoop and instead of just tapping it in with his right hand for an easy two, bring the ball down, reset, and try and get a now contested shot off with his left?

I do think it's something that could be overcome, especially if he starts knocking down more jumpers, but why try and deal with it when you can just spend time trying to fix it? For a guy like Marvin who has such a special touch down low it doesn't make sense for him to leave so many points on the board.
Find me a big man who is scoring with his off hand more than once a game at most. I've already looked, and I've keyed in on it while watching NBA games since this is a big knock on Marvin. It doesn't come into play enough to make it a central focus in the offseason. Bam Adebayo loves to dribble and drive with his left and still scores almost exclusively with his right. I looked at Bam since he handles the ball so well with both hands.

If someone presents some evidence that NBA players are consistently scoring more than a basket a game with their off hand, I'd be happy to reconsider.

To tie it back to the main topic. Marvin scoring one basket a game with his right hand will not help the Kings move up in the standings.

Find me a big man who is scoring with his off hand more than once a game at most. I've already looked, and I've keyed in on it while watching NBA games since this is a big knock on Marvin. It doesn't come into play enough to make it a central focus in the offseason. Bam Adebayo loves to dribble and drive with his left and still scores almost exclusively with his right. I looked at Bam since he handles the ball so well with both hands.

If someone presents some evidence that NBA players are consistently scoring more than a basket a game with their off hand, I'd be happy to reconsider.

To tie it back to the main topic. Marvin scoring one basket a game with his right hand will not help the Kings move up in the standings.
While I agree with you that most big men are one hand dominant, I think a more accurate assessment is not so much scoring with his right, but being able to pivot right, drive right, pass right...basically be more balanced and less predictable.

How often they are shooting with their off hand isn't what I am talking about. Obviously big men take the overwhelming majority of their shots with their dominant hand, but the defense knowing they have the option to go to the off hand keeps the defense honest and on their toes. The defense knowing Marvin has to drive to his left and that his shot is guaranteed to come off with his left makes the defenses job easy and makes Marvin much easier to shut down, which happened a ton his first two years. Of course the necessity of a strong right hand is alleviated if Marvin gets his shooting down, but right now that is not the case. Bam is not a great shooter, but can knock down shots out to 16 feet over 40% of the time. Marvin struggles at anything outside of 3 feet. So if it's Marvins preference to only shoot close to the basket in this era, not being able to get clean shots off everywhere around the basket is a problem for him.

I didn't mean for this to become a Marvin criticism thread, my main point originally was that Marvin improving in these two areas opens up our offense a lot and makes us a more dangerous team in the West.