What could the future (rest of this season) hold for the Kings?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
2-25 @Warriors WIN
2-28 @Grizzlies WIN
3-1 Pistons WIN
3-3 Wizards WIN
3-5 76ers LOSS
3-7 @Trailblazers WIN
3-8 Raptors LOSS
3-11 Pelicans
3-15 Nets
3-17 Dallas
3-19 @Rockets
3-21 @Magic
3-22 @Pelicans
3-24 @Cavaliers
3-26 Hawks
3-29 Pacers
3-31 Spurs
4-2 Clippers
4-4 Lakers
4-5 Cavaliers
4-7 @Spurs
4-9 @Timberwolves
4-11 @Nuggets
4-14 @Lakers
4-15 Warriors

Last edited:
After the all star break, the Kings had 17 games with teams under .500 (including the Griz). They already did the first step in beating the Griz last Thursday. They took a bigger step beating the Clips on the road today.

They need to beat those 16 teams under .500 and beat 2 others to reach 41 wins. Griz, Blazers, Spurs, Pels are all pretty much must wins at this point. Blazers win needed to even the series at 2-2. Spurs 1-1 with 2 to go, Pels 0-1 with 2 to go, Griz 2-1 with 1 to go. They can own the tie breaker or be even with all the teams ahead of them.

If they keep playing like they have the past 12 games they have a shot.

After the all star break, the Kings had 17 games with teams under .500 (including the Griz). They already did the first step in beating the Griz last Thursday. They took a bigger step beating the Clips on the road today.

They need to beat those 16 teams under .500 and beat 2 others to reach 41 wins. Griz, Blazers, Spurs, Pels are all pretty much must wins at this point. Blazers win needed to even the series at 2-2. Spurs 1-1 with 2 to go, Pels 0-1 with 2 to go, Griz 2-1 with 1 to go. They can own the tie breaker or be even with all the teams ahead of them.

If they keep playing like they have the past 12 games they have a shot.
I think the Grizzlies may slip a bit, but I think NO and Portland (if Dame isn't out too long) will make a strong push. Especially NO has a favorable remaining schedule with a lot of home games, IIRC. I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
What are the keys to the Kings winning going forward? Most importantly, Fox and Bogs have got to bring it on defense every game. And Bjelica has to stop with the occasional game in which he is non-existent. The Clippers game provides some insight on Fox and Bogs.

What you saw from the very beginning was Fox picking the ball up in the back court and getting into a serious defensive crouch. His body language said it all - he meant serious defensive business. If Fox starts the game upright like he's walking around the park, and he's passively waiting in the front court for the opposing ball handler to get to him, that spells trouble in my book. He's just not taking the game or the opposition seriously like he should. Fox must start every game with defensive intensity. No excuses. He's old enough and should be mature enough to set the tone on defense in every game.

Then there was Bogs. Like a Pomeranian on a choke chain, Walton yanked him twice in the Memphis game because of his care-less ineptitude on defense. Coach seems to have gotten his attention. In the first quarter of the Clipps game Bogs made three very good defensive plays. First, while trailing Shamet he ran hard into a Clipps pick and as a result got the foul call and the Kings got possession. Second, on a Leonard fast break Bogs got back on defense and put both hands around the ball as Leonard was going up for the shot; Leonard missed the shot and the Kings got possession. Third, he stole the ball from Morris on the wing. That play in which he grabbed the ball with both hands around the Leonard layup attempt is exactly what is needed. That play requires the player to have enough moxy to really stick his face in there and possibly risk getting an elbow to his nose if he's not careful. The Kings need for Bogs to play with defensive intensity and moxy in every game, not just against a team that many think has a chance of winning the chip.

I think the Kings would have to go something on the order of 20-6 or 21-5 to have a strong chance at the playoffs......that's just too lofty for this team......the damage has been done in December (with a fat 8-game losing-streak) already. They have started well post-allstar, but I think we're looking at 38 wins on the high side and 34 or 35 wins playing mediocre (realistically). I am certainly not expecting playoffs at this point, and have purged most of my disappointment and frustration during the holidays. They still have much to prove with Bagley who has been lost due to injuries this season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah sorry Dave but I really don't think we're going to be a .75 team post-AS break even in the best case scenario lol.
But that's not the question. The question is IF the Kings somehow make it into the playoffs, would that be enough for you to support keeping Vlade and the coaching staff as is.

But that's not the question. The question is IF the Kings somehow make it into the playoffs, would that be enough for you to support keeping Vlade and the coaching staff as is.
Well I'm saying if we're talking unrealistic IFs we might as well talk about winning the championship this year.

FWIW - I think theres a higher chance we make the playoffs winning less than 40 games than there is us winning 40 games. (I say this without having actually looked at other teams' records and remaining schedules, and whether it would be mathematically possible etc, so take this with a huge grain of salt)

I think the Kings would have to go something on the order of 20-6 or 21-5 to have a strong chance at the playoffs......that's just too lofty for this team......the damage has been done in December (with a fat 8-game losing-streak) already. They have started well post-allstar, but I think we're looking at 38 wins on the high side and 34 or 35 wins playing mediocre (realistically). I am certainly not expecting playoffs at this point, and have purged most of my disappointment and frustration during the holidays. They still have much to prove with Bagley who has been lost due to injuries this season.
Look at the loss column. It's not going to take 41 games this year.

Griz 28-28 with JJJ out now.
Blazers 32
Spurs 32
Pels 32
Kings 33

Griz have Clips and Rockets on the road before the Kings game on Friday and the Lakers on 2/29.
Kings have Warriors and Thunder on the road. If they can pull off 2 wins and Griz lose all the games the Kings can be 1 back in the loss column going into March.

March 1st will show where the Kings chances stand.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well I'm saying if we're talking unrealistic IFs we might as well talk about winning the championship this year.

FWIW - I think theres a higher chance we make the playoffs winning less than 40 games than there is us winning 40 games. (I say this without having actually looked at other teams' records and remaining schedules, and whether it would be mathematically possible etc, so take this with a huge grain of salt)
And, if the Kings do manage to make the playoffs, is it enough to save Vlade and Luke's jobs? That's the question Dave was asking. You're getting bogged down in details. ;)

And, if the Kings do manage to make the playoffs, is it enough to save Vlade and Luke's jobs? That's the question Dave was asking. You're getting bogged down in details. ;)
I don’t even think we have to make the playoffs, if we play like the rest of the way like we’re doing now Vlade is safe. Luke shouldn’t even be questioned to be fired that would be absurd