Something To Think About...

Im sitting here watching the kings vs. nets game and one of the announcers just made a good point that maybe some of you have thought about but personally i havent. He mentioned the fact that the kings are without 3 key players (martin, bibby, SAR ) and while i absolutely dont agree with SAR being a key player, it is somewhat amazing that we can even win games without martin and bibby. I know its only been a few games without martin but salmons has filled in nicely, which is also expected because of what he did when artest was out, which is another factor in are sub-500 record because he missed 7 games. I think with a fully healthy team, we could make the playoffs this year. Its interesting to think about where this team would be healthy, expecially with how well miller is playing.

Also, being from boston im reminded of a celtics team last year who had the 2nd worst record in the league because of injuries where there record was alot worse then it could have been if paul didnt miss so much time.. people actually thought the celts could be a playoff team last year. because of this they got a higher pick then they 'deserved' which is what i can see happening to the kings this year, meaning a playoff team next year is not out of the question and we would have a nice young player from this years draft..

also, incase you didnt notice im one of those kings fans who wants us to try for the playoffs and not just go straight to the youth ( hawes, douby, williams playing 35 min a night )

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good points. I think this team is starting to come together as a team and it's so much more fun to watch than last year's debacle.

Don't know about the playoffs, but I just enjoy seeing Kings basketball again.

:)

With how we have been playing, everything and everyone seems together and is having fun playing.

Love Theus as our coach.

Before the season I'd say playoffs no way but if we had Bibby and Martin injury free I believe we'd have a good shot at it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Its interesting to think about where this team would be healthy, expecially with how well miller is playing.
Interesting indeed.

We might even be .500! Woot!

If we were in the Least, who knows. As is, 10 teams in the West are at or above .500. Thankfully we have little hope of that oh so important #8 seed and obligatory first round spanking. Just a question of how much we damage the future with the irrelevant wins that decorate that 25-40 range. The difference between picking #4 in this draft (guaranteeing a Rose/Mayo/Beasley/Love) and #12 (for example) is enormous.

Im sitting here watching the kings vs. nets game and one of the announcers just made a good point that maybe some of you have thought about but personally i havent. He mentioned the fact that the kings are without 3 key players (martin, bibby, SAR ) and while i absolutely dont agree with SAR being a key player, it is somewhat amazing that we can even win games without martin and bibby. I know its only been a few games without martin but salmons has filled in nicely, which is also expected because of what he did when artest was out, which is another factor in are sub-500 record because he missed 7 games. I think with a fully healthy team, we could make the playoffs this year. Its interesting to think about where this team would be healthy, expecially with how well miller is playing.

Also, being from boston im reminded of a celtics team last year who had the 2nd worst record in the league because of injuries where there record was alot worse then it could have been if paul didnt miss so much time.. people actually thought the celts could be a playoff team last year. because of this they got a higher pick then they 'deserved' which is what i can see happening to the kings this year, meaning a playoff team next year is not out of the question and we would have a nice young player from this years draft..

also, incase you didnt notice im one of those kings fans who wants us to try for the playoffs and not just go straight to the youth ( hawes, douby, williams playing 35 min a night )
Hmm, so we should tank the season, trade our pick and Martin for two unhappy superstars looking for one last shot at a title? ;)

dude12

Hall of Famer
Interesting indeed.

We might even be .500! Woot!

If we were in the Least, who knows. As is, 10 teams in the West are at or above .500. Thankfully we have little hope of that oh so important #8 seed and obligatory first round spanking. Just a question of how much we damage the future with the irrelevant wins that decorate that 25-40 range. The difference between picking #4 in this draft (guaranteeing a Rose/Mayo/Beasley/Love) and #12 (for example) is enormous.
Sarcasm is noted again.....

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
. Its interesting to think about where this team would be healthy, expecially with how well miller is playing.
Yeah, if only white guys could jump. Even relatively flat footed Brad has been down low banging and blocking and doing what he needs to do. And if Mikki can start to get 6-10 rebs a night in the 10 ft area from the bucket and change a few more opponent shots, the Kings can get better and better.

This group is fun to watch.

Bricklayer

And if Mikki can start to get 6-10 rebs a night in the 10 ft area from the bucket and change a few more opponent shots, the Kings can get better and better.
Look....just no.

Mikki's been in the league a long time now. There are no mysteries.

Brad BTW is averaging about 8.5rebs and 1.2blks in 35mpg, which a couple of years ago were numbers that caused us a lot of handwringing around here, because of their softness. Now we are excited over it. Funny how perspective changes.

Look....just yes. If you do not like anything about the Kings and the way they are playing this year, why do you watch or care. Find another team that suits what you think should be done for an NBA team. This is a fun team to watch and I want them to do well....and there are many other that agree. Annie.

Bricklayer

Look....just yes. If you do not like anything about the Kings and the way they are playing this year, why do you watch or care. Find another team that suits what you think should be done for an NBA team. This is a fun team to watch and I want them to do well....and there are many other that agree. Annie.
Thta's very nice for you Annie.

And predictably completely missing my point. And here is my point in case you missed it on accident rather than as pretext: Mikki Moore has been in the league over a decade. He is not a good rebounder. he hasn't blocked shots since he was very young. He's not going to just start today at 33. He is what he is. Tonight what he was was 4pts and 4rebs. That is low, but not an uncommon outing. Meanwhile Brad Miller is averaging 8.3rebs and 1.2blks. A couple of years ago very similar numbers were a problem. Now we are happy for whatever we can get.

As for your invitation to leave -- don't make it again or I will delete it. Decided a while back that such self-serving nonsense was bad for the board and led to nothing but strife. Certainly my original response to that invitation would have brutalized some delicate sensibilities.

Meanwhile Brad Miller is averaging 8.3rebs and 1.2blks. A couple of years ago very similar numbers were a problem. Now we are happy for whatever we can get.
Hope you were doing your homework on those stats brick. But 2 yrs. ago Brad's numbers were lower that what his been doing the past 3 road games. Too early to celebrate maybe, but give the man the praise he deserves so far.

I think Brick just knows how to avoid drinking kool aid, even in small amounts.

Things are looking alittle better, but to a discerning Kings fan, there isn't THAT much to get excited about. My 2 cents.

You cannot deny that expectation levels have changed since the "glory" days. Especially when we show improvement over last year....and having a coach that seems to know how to COACH doesnt hurt either.

I'm having a blast watching the team, but I too practice cautious optimism.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Enjoy the victories when we get them. The big picture doesn't change but no point in being glum for the next 1-3 years or whatever it will be. I'm happy that it appears we have a keeper in Theus and thats a good thing. While we are waiting for the next move by the front-office, enjoy the wins.

Oh, it's all about adjusted expectations. If Brad ends up averaging 18/8, with 24/12 games sparsed in there every once in awhile, I think he's doing the best with what he has - physically and mentally. because we've seen worse (much worse unfortunately) and at his age you can't hope for much improvement. And I agree about Mikki; he's a guy you can either find a place for as role player on a particular team or you can't - he seems to have a role in Sac - which I doubted at first - and in some ways he offers a nice alternative, and sometime partner, to brad. It doesn't solve our big man problem (and it is a problem), but I would argue it makes us a little less vulnerable there. Are we gonna compete with the elite teams this year - no. Could we make the playoffs - maybe, with some luck. Someone else will get injured - we don't need piksi to tell us that. All that stuff about playing for the high draft pick - it's good business, but young athletes compete, period. And that's what we want if this is a rebuild. So if we have a somewhat competitive team, with a new hungry coach, i don't see the point of belly-aching over winning too much, if that were even to happen. man, enjoy the ride. when I watch a team, i think, is that a team i'd enjoying playing with, would it be fun to be out there on the court or on the bench. last year I would have said, hell no! This year I think it would be fun, most of the time at least. i give a lot of credit to Theus; for a young coach who inherited very little, he seems to be doing a hell of a job.

Go Kings!

HI Annie, I totally agree with you. This Kings have been very fun to watch. I haven't written in this board very much but I have loked at alot of topics on this board and have been left wondering- is this supposed to be a kings FANS message board? I agree that our team is not the best, but every team goes through a slump and one day they will be one of the best in the NBA again! In the mean time instead of criticising them i will continue chearing them on as thry make their way back to the top! Go Kings!!!

HI Annie, I totally agree with you. This Kings have been very fun to watch. I haven't written in this board very much but I have loked at alot of topics on this board and have been left wondering- is this supposed to be a kings FANS message board? I agree that our team is not the best, but every team goes through a slump and one day they will be one of the best in the NBA again! In the mean time instead of criticising them i will continue chearing them on as thry make their way back to the top! Go Kings!!!
First of all, many of the best fans criticize and evaluate their team. Why? Because they care about it and invest both time and money into its success.

Moreover, several fans on this board are looking at the long term picture as well as just wins/losses. In their perspective, if we aren't going to win a championship any time soon we need to look at long term future development. That doesn't make them any less of a fan - they just want what is best for the team in the long run.

Finally, Brick's comments were not even critical of Mikki or Brad but simply were pointing out their respective career trends and what we can expect from them.

Yep. And it's certainly a refreshing change from last year.

:)

GO KINGS!!!
I also agree completely. These guys are fun to watch, even when they lose because they play hard and appear to be enjoying themselves. I love rooting for the home team when they give their all.

Athletics is much more about process than outcome with me.

Mikki Moore has been in the league over a decade. He is not a good rebounder. he hasn't blocked shots since he was very young. He's not going to just start today at 33. He is what he is. Tonight what he was was 4pts and 4rebs. That is low, but not an uncommon outing.
I like how Mikki Moore blamed the coaches on the Kings slump. Maybe he needs to start getting more than just 4 rebounds when playing 32 minutes. Dahntay Jones played 14 minutes and got 6 rebounds. Sorry, I'm not impressed with him and his comments about blamig the coaches for the slump should have stayed in house and not out in the media.

I wasn't refering to only posts made in this thread, I was just reffering to the general posts I have noticed in this forum overall. I understand that you can be a fan and also be critical, I have just found that many posts on this board seem to be more on the critical- sarcastic side rather then the supportive side. I just have been enjoying watching this team play of late and some of the posts made are just a little discouraging. I don't mind the critical posts I was just giving my two cents. Thanks! :)

There seem to be too many potential discussions that get sidetracked into this growing division among fans. The Kings have issues. Some wish to ignore them and others wish to exagerate them. Neither are wrong, to each his own. Fan is short for fanatical, and as far as I know has nothing to do with logic and reason. It would be great if posters stopped getting judged for the "tone" of their post as opposed to content. This remark is directed at members from both "sides" of this discussion.

Opposing opinions are what makes for good discussion, this senseless bickering is getting old. Too many threads are getting derailed.

/end rant

Last edited:
I wasn't refering to only posts made in this thread, I was just reffering to the general posts I have noticed in this forum overall. I understand that you can be a fan and also be critical, I have just found that many posts on this board seem to be more on the critical- sarcastic side rather then the supportive side. I just have been enjoying watching this team play of late and some of the posts made are just a little discouraging. I don't mind the critical posts I was just giving my two cents. Thanks! :)
Many of the posts are not critical. They are dismissive of any success the Kings may experience. It has been going on a long time around here and I have a feeling that it drives many people away.

Maybe we should start a thread where the optomists can opinionate with the pessimists and then the rest of the discussions can take their natural course.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Here is what Mikki said, "It's nice to get the win, but I expected more from our coaching staff," Moore said. "You can write that, because I told them that on the bench. I said, 'It was nice to get the "W", but I just expected too much of y'all.'"

There is nothing more specific as to what he was referring to. I think the writer owed us a little more in details. As it is, it acts as a verbal Rorschach where we all can interpret it the way that suits us.

He blamed his own poor performance on an injury to Beno which, considering he is dependent on good passes, probably is true. He can't create for himself.

Bricklayer

I obviously do not get the Bee and had not noticed that article until this discussion of it.

Now I am confused. That seems so wildly inappropriate coming from that quarter and after a win that I am left wondering...several things actually. Thought I had noticed Mikki + the coaches getting into it a little after he threw up that jumper, but...?