So what position do you guys think Evans will play in the future?

can he keep up with the speed of parker and cp3?? i like that he is a big point guard and i like that he is good defensively.. if things dont pan out with him at the point we will try moving him at the 2? then some one has to go then...

i hope his winning streak as a pointguard continue here with the kings:D

Entity

Hall of Famer
can he keep up with the speed of parker and cp3?? i like that he is a big point guard and i like that he is good defensively.. if things dont pan out with him at the point we will try moving him at the 2? then some one has to go then...

i hope his winning streak as a pointguard continue here with the kings:D
to answer that first question. like only 5% of NBA pg's can keep up with those 2. Evans will do as good as anybody else. can't say the same for Rubio. How can they stop Evans is a good question as well.

to answer that first question. like only 5% of NBA pg's can keep up with those 2. Evans will do as good as anybody else. can't say the same for Rubio. How can they stop Evans is a good question as well.
watching evans clips and how he broke down the D makes me at ease... id like to see him do some shot blocking too (even if its a 0.6) thats good for a guard...

A

AriesMar27

evans seems like the player that we wanted douby to be.... but to be honest i dont like the idea of starting him at pg. he has to beat out beno and sergio for the starting spot or even real minutes at the position. if that doesnt workout and he truly is a sg then instead of trading amrtin imediately we keep both and let evans learn the position. we suck.... there is no rush to trade our players unless we are getting a superstar in return.

if we get a pg in exchange for martin we will need to get rid of beno. but there is another option, trading evans if he turns out to be a sg. he could net us a pretty good young pg.

evans seems like the player that we wanted douby to be.... but to be honest i dont like the idea of starting him at pg. he has to beat out beno and sergio for the starting spot or even real minutes at the position. if that doesnt workout and he truly is a sg then instead of trading amrtin imediately we keep both and let evans learn the position. we suck.... there is no rush to trade our players unless we are getting a superstar in return.

if we get a pg in exchange for martin we will need to get rid of beno. but there is another option, trading evans if he turns out to be a sg. he could net us a pretty good young pg.
I don´t see this to happen. If we trade somebody, it will be Martin, not Evans. The Kings staff is crazy about Evans.

Entity

Hall of Famer
watching evans clips and how he broke down the D makes me at ease... id like to see him do some shot blocking too (even if its a 0.6) thats good for a guard...
his verticle reach is 11'6 that is basically how high he can reach when he jumps. for comparison sake Blake Griffins max verticle reach was 11'8

If things don't go well for Evans at PG I still wonder if he and Kmart could play well together at the #2-#3 spots. It would still leave questions with the PG position, but the rest of the line-up would be interesting:

PG: Beno/Sergio
#2-3: Kmart, Evans
#4: JT
#5: Hawes

Kmart is tall enough to be a #3, but his slight frame makes him more of a #2. Evans is too short for the #3 but his long arm span and ability to get hoops near the basket make him play "bigger" than most #2's. It would be non-traditional, but it might work.

If things don't go well for Evans at PG I still wonder if he and Kmart could play well together at the #2-#3 spots. It would still leave questions with the PG position, but the rest of the line-up would be interesting:

Kmart is tall enough to be a #3, but his slight frame makes him more of a #2. Evans is too short for the #3 but his long arm span and ability to get hoops near the basket make him play "bigger" than most #2's. It would be non-traditional, but it might work.
I think Evans can play the 3 better than Kmart. As Bricklayer should shortly point out ... Kmart would just get beat by practically any starting SF.

Uhh, Kevin as a 3 just scares me. He would be pushed around so badly. Evans had BETTER work out at PG because this team passed on SOOO many PGs, not just Rubio because they believe Evans can be a real PG. Another year of that much Beno would just be unnecessary considering the other options we had.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I still - after so many different posts with different names - don't understand the fascination some people have to try and place players out of their most likely positions. Kevin Martin is not a small forward. Never was, never will be.

If things don't go well for Evans at the point, we'll have to look elsewhere for the player who can step into the 1. If Evans is as good as some say he might be, there could come a point in time when we have to decide if we want to be like the Spurs and rotate two good players at one position or if we want to ship one of them out.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think Evans can play the 3 better than Kmart. As Bricklayer should shortly point out ... Kmart would just get beat by practically any starting SF.

I will fulfill my role. :p

Somehow I rather doubt that we went to all this trouble to add toughness and wash the pink out of our uniforms just to move Kevin up to SF to be the softest SF in the league. Not good for us. Not good Kevin. Just not good.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I will fulfill my role. :p

Somehow I rather doubt that we went to all this trouble to add toughness and wash the pink out of our uniforms just to move Kevin up to SF to be the softest SF in the league. Not good for us. Not good Kevin. Just not good.
The last two years Kevin has had a problem staying healthy at the SG position. Just how long does anyone think he would last at the SF position. I think that if Kevin played fewer minutes he might stay healthier. As I've already stated in another post. As Kevins minutes have gone up, his injuries have increased. Maybe just a coincidence. We'll see how this season playes out.

I am so sick of these discussions. Why can't the FO just draft or trade for a PG, a Center, or a PF if we need one? It would prevent any of these discussions from coming up. The tweener phenomena is irritating me beyond belief. Why do the Kings have so many of them?

I'm gonna be honest, all those ppl who are doubting Tyreke Evans simply don't watch or know basketball. I follow college recruiting as well as the draft. Tyreke evans was being recruited for jr high and high school ball when he was 8. Played Varsity as a 7th grader. McDonald's all-american and mvp of the mcdonald's all-american game, freshmen player of the year, and only freshmen to be considered for the Niesmith player and Oscar Roberston Player of the year awards, c-usa tournament mvp, mvp of the west regional...Ranked #2 in Rivals.com in the country only behind Brandon Jennings (LOL). This guy is going to be so good it's too good to be true that the kings got him. Let me name other players with similar awards: Carmelo, Lebron, Wade, Iverson.

Since a young age, he's been destined to be a star. He'll bring the ball up and may not be the "pure point guard" that everyone wants but i'd take Dwade who was supposedly a "PG" the same way that Evans was referred to as a point guard over Jwill anyday...that's as good as Rubio will ever be. If you think Rubio would of ever made to the level of CP3 or Rondo or Deron williams, you simply dont understand basketball. Rubio is not fast, he's shifty, he's not athletic like CP3, Rondo or williams either. Evans on the other hand has proven it on EVERY LEVEL. He's dominated every level and he's a humble, hard working guy. By the end of the year, all those who weren't in support of this pick will begin to realize that we're just fans and the scouting staff is the scouting staff for a specific reason. Bottom line, Evans will be an all star at worse, with a superstar ceiling. Rubio would can maybe become Jwilliams but he's not going to be CP3.
The best post that explains why it is necessary to pick Tyreke Evans over Rubio, Flynn, etc. It's too hard to pass on a guy with this kind of resume whos got all the potential to be a great player and who can solve our problem at PG and SG position.

To me it does not matter whether he will be a better player as PG or SG for now. We haven't got our ideal player for both positions anyways. Let's face it. Martin with all his prowess in scoring still sucks as a SG, because he is a liability in defense and cannot create his own shots. Beno is even worse as our starter at PG. Tyreke Evans gives us added flexibility in upgrading either positions in our process of rebuilding.

I did not say that Kevin was going to be the SF. I was thinking that Kmart and Evans would place themselves at the wing positions, Hawes in the low post and JT at the high post. The offense would have a 1-3-1 look to it before the plays start. Hawes and JT would be able to play a high/low game and Kmart and Evans would be able to slash and cut to the basket. I do not really see how anyone is out of position with that set-up. In fact, it looks like everyone would be in their natural position at that point.

On defense, who would defend who? Well, any time Kmart is on the floor you have a defensive liability. Hopefully, he will guard to poorest player on the floor. It will be interesting to see how tall of a player Evans can defend with his long arm span. Can he effectively defend someone 6'8"?

I'm gonna be honest, all those ppl who are doubting Tyreke Evans simply don't watch or know basketball. I follow college recruiting as well as the draft. Tyreke evans was being recruited for jr high and high school ball when he was 8. Played Varsity as a 7th grader. McDonald's all-american and mvp of the mcdonald's all-american game, freshmen player of the year, and only freshmen to be considered for the Niesmith player and Oscar Roberston Player of the year awards, c-usa tournament mvp, mvp of the west regional...Ranked #2 in Rivals.com in the country only behind Brandon Jennings (LOL). This guy is going to be so good it's too good to be true that the kings got him. Let me name other players with similar awards: Carmelo, Lebron, Wade, Iverson.

Since a young age, he's been destined to be a star. He'll bring the ball up and may not be the "pure point guard" that everyone wants but i'd take Dwade who was supposedly a "PG" the same way that Evans was referred to as a point guard over Jwill anyday...that's as good as Rubio will ever be. If you think Rubio would of ever made to the level of CP3 or Rondo or Deron williams, you simply dont understand basketball. Rubio is not fast, he's shifty, he's not athletic like CP3, Rondo or williams either. Evans on the other hand has proven it on EVERY LEVEL. He's dominated every level and he's a humble, hard working guy. By the end of the year, all those who weren't in support of this pick will begin to realize that we're just fans and the scouting staff is the scouting staff for a specific reason. Bottom line, Evans will be an all star at worse, with a superstar ceiling. Rubio would can maybe become Jwilliams but he's not going to be CP3.
I love this post. Seriously, right on the money. Evans was not scared to work out for multiple teams. With his basketball resume, he could have easily refused to work out for people ala Thabeet or Rubio. He backed up the hype that was around him. He raised his draft stock by performance, not through his agent. Give me a guy that shows up and performs over the guy that hides for fear of slipping in the draft any day. Plus, he loves it here. No better draft choice in my opinion.

I am so sick of these discussions. Why can't the FO just draft or trade for a PG, a Center, or a PF if we need one? It would prevent any of these discussions from coming up. The tweener phenomena is irritating me beyond belief. Why do the Kings have so many of them?
How many tweeners do we have? Evans. Maybe Noc and Brockman (who's a 10-12th man). Beno, Kmart, Cisco, Greene, Casspi, Hawes, Thompson, and Rodriguez are all normal sized or big for their positions.

I don't see this as the end of the world. Kevin is a nice player with trade value, but if Evans becomes a superstar 2 instead of a superstar 1, getting a good player for KMart isn't a bad thing

With Evans, positional versatility isn't a bad thing. The hope is that he's capable of playing the one or the two both from an offensive and defensive perspective... that's a rare trait in today's NBA. He's gonna play the point to start but similar to Wade I'm sure he'll see a lot of time at each guard position depending on what the matchup dictates. It's hard for me to envision Evans not being at least as effective as Stuckey is as a PG but if for some reason he just can't play the point full-time in the NBA then at least he has another position where he has a chance at excelling at. With Rubio or Flynn if they aren't very good NBA PG's that's it... they were a wasted pick.

I think Evans definitely has the ability to play the point. He'll never be a pure, pass first point guard like, say, Steve Nash or Jason Kidd, but that doesn't mean he can't be a very good point guard.

And while his 1.08/1 A/T ratio is troubling, a number of very successful NBA point guards have posted similar numbers in their freshman seasons.

Chauncey Billups - Freshman Year: 1.2/1 NBA Career: 2.8/1
Devin Harris - Freshman Year: 1.05/1 NBA Career: 2.15/1
Allen Iverson - Freshman Year: 1/1 NBA Career: 2/1
Gilbert Arenas - Freshman Year: .81/1 NBA Career: 1.66/1
Steve Nash - Freshman Year: 1.08/1 NBA Career: 2.96/1

Like 2 or 3 of those guys you listed aren't real PGs.
I think that's the major problem here... people have different opinions on what a "real" point guard is. 2 or 3 of those guys aren't pass first point guards but all of them are legitimate starting NBA PG's.

Put it like this... if you had a choice between Dwyane Wade and Rajon Rondo for this Kings team who are you gonna take? Wade everytime and you're not gonna worry about the fact that he's gonna play point most of the time because we have Kevin at the two. Imo the Kings drafted Evans with Wade in mind... best case is Evans develops into a simialar player as Wade, maybe not quite as amazing as Dwyane but at least similar. If you have a chance to draft a guy with a Dwyane Wade ceiling you do it and that's exactly what we did.

So it's to the credit of a 6'5 220 player that he dominated guys 3-5 inches shorter and/or 20-40 lighter 1-on-1? I would be more impressed if he did it against guys his size. Of course he would be a mismatch against most PG's, but that doesn't mean teams are necessarily going to be sticking their PG on him defensively as oppose to the lighter quicker Kevin Martin. Also, 1-on-1 workouts mean the least when it comes to PG's because ideally you don't want an iso 1-on-1 player at the PG unless they're a Kobe, McGrady, Iverson, Arenas type scorer, and even then it's tough to have a guy dominate the ball like that.

As far as whether Rubio would fit into Westphal's system, that's hard to say but he did run an offense that had Kevin Johnson in it, who was routinely a 10+ apg guy.
Coming out of college Kevin Johnson was more of a scoring point guard. Unless we have the fortune of drafting Wall next year Evans will be the point and will flourish under Westphal, who happens to like combo guards.
How many PG's in the league are his size. He will be abusing most PG's for many years.

Last edited:
i Think That's The Major Problem Here... People Have Different Opinions On What A "real" Point Guard Is. 2 Or 3 Of Those Guys Aren't Pass First Point Guards But All Of Them Are Legitimate Starting Nba Pg's.

Put It Like This... If You Had A Choice Between Dwyane Wade And Rajon Rondo For This Kings Team Who Are You Gonna Take? Wade Everytime And You're Not Gonna Worry About The Fact That He's Gonna Play Point Most Of The Time Because We Have Kevin At The Two. Imo The Kings Drafted Evans With Wade In Mind... Best Case Is Evans Develops Into A Simialar Player As Wade, Maybe Not Quite As Amazing As Dwyane But At Least Similar. If You Have A Chance To Draft A Guy With A Dwyane Wade Ceiling You Do It And That's Exactly What We Did.
Bingo!